Serendipity

By Meera_Sharma

Serendipity - Unplanned fortunate discovery. Naina Kapoor A 28 year old woman. Single mother to a 1 year ol... More

Serendipity
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8

Chapter 1

262 32 5
By Meera_Sharma

Tum agar manaoge, To Maan jaaonga
Mai tere bulaane pe laut aaonga
Har safar Mein saath tera main yun hi nibhaaonga
Kabhi tumhein Yaad meri aaye, palkon se zulfon hataa lena
Saaf dikhoonga main tumkoo wahin, jo na dikhaoon to bata dena
Kabhi mujhe der jo ho jaaye, wakt ko thoda bacha lena
Phir se miloonga main tumko wahin, jo na miloon to sazaa dena.

A lone tear escaped her eye and slid down her cheek when she heard the song playing in her car. She instantly wiped the tear away before it could be noticed by the 8 year old kid sitting beside her in the car. Forcing her mind not to go to the past again she looked at the boy, her son, her sole family.
She looked at him. He was also looking outside at the passing buildings with a beautiful smile on his face. She smiled at him, wiping her tear away and kissed his forehead. She hugged him close to her heart. He is her everything now.

"Ma'am we have reached." I heard the voice of the driver which made me look out of the window to the huge school.

T

aking in a big breath I looked at Ridhaan. "Ready?" I asked him.

He tsked "I am born ready Maa." he said which made me roll my eyes but a smile crept on my face.

"I will come to pick you up and I don't want to hear your complaints again from Ms. Tripathi." I told him.

"Yeah yeah Maa." he said

"Okay then. Ficus on the studies but don't forget to enjoy and don't forget to find Insh your lunch completely. If I find anything remaining then forget about the car model you asked me to bring from Dubai." I said

"I don't like fruits." he sulked.

"They are nutritious and healthy." I said

"Okay I will eat it only if you promise that we'll go to eat ice cream after school." he said.

Not again. Basically he's trying to be oversmart again. Asking for 2 things in place of one from him. God this kid.

"Okay done.." I said as I will be away from him for the upcoming three days on a business trip.

"Okay Maa bye." he said and kissed my cheek.

"Bye." I replied and kissed his forehead. He climbed down and ran inside the school but not before waving at me.

"Lets go." I said to the driver after Ridhaan was not visible to my eyes.

I had back to back meetings today which was tiring. Its 1 in the afternoon and I was checking some files when my Best friend decided it would be great to slam the door open and barge into my office.

"Yo Babes wassup?" she asked taking a seat on the chair opposite to me.

"Nothing much. I had a tiring day Back to back meetings from morning." I replied.

"Aww. My poor Naina. You should take rest in between. When was the last time you took a day off completely. No work from home?" She asked frowning.

I decided to keep my mouth shut. I don't remember when I took a day off last. Maybe day after I gave birth to Ridhaan? Yeah I guess.

"Exactly. You have no words to say." she said shaking her head.

"It's decided this Sunday is a girls day out. You, me and Nisha bhabhi and my handsome boy Ridhaan. We'll go for body massage, manicure, pedicure, facial, then dineer at an amazing restaurant and then we'll get drunk at a bar. " Siddhi said.

"That's not possible. Riddhan would get irritated and cranky all day outside. And theres no chance i am going to a br leaving Ridhaan alone. And getting drunk is impossible. Also Ridhaan need me. He can't sleep without me." I said

"They how would he sleep when you would be away on. The business trip. How do he sleep when you were out for meetings in different states and countries in the past? Stop hiding behind Ridhaan. I know why you're saying no."

"If you know then why are you asking me to come?" I asked rolling my eyes.

"You have to come. I don't know. And you can't just escape from the people always Naina. You will have to face them at some point. Till when would you just hide from parties and people. Face your fears Naina then only will you be able to win over them. Why do you even care about what people say? Let them say. You just do whatever you want." Siddhi said which made me roll my eyes yet again.

"Easy for you to say Siddhi and I have no issues until they talk about me but when things move further I just cant control myself. I just hate it. I feel suffocated by the judgemental eyes and talks." I replied closing my eyes while keeping my head on the table.

"I know Naina but you can't always stay holed up in your house and office. We will go there together. And I will be with you all the time. Atleast try. We will be there and if you feel uncomfortable or anything then we'll leave at that moment. Okay? " Siddhi asked in a final tone.

"Okay. But I can't afford to waste my whole day. I have important things to deal with tomorrow. I can only promise one thing for one day. So party or day out? Your choice."

Siddhi sighed and said "Party it is then. I will plan a day out some other day."

"Where is my handsome guyy by the way?" Siddhi asked

"He's in school." Naina replied to her.

"Ok. So i should go now. I have a meeting in 15 minutes." Siddhi said and left the cabin.

Siddhi Awasthi. My best friend from college. One of the person who supported me in the toughest and most painful time of my life. She was there with me in all thicks and thins of my life. The only person who knows all the deepest secrets of my life. Siddhi is an extrovert, bubbly and amazing girl. She can make friends very easily. Siddhi is the COO of my company. She was there with me from the very start and supported me when I told her about the business idea.

I went back to my work as I had very less time. Soon its going to be The time to pick Ridhaan from school and after that we have to do packing. Then I hav eto drop Ridhaan at Kapoor mansion. Bhabhi would be taking car eof him for the time I will be away in Dubai. It hurts me to leave ehim behind alone. But I have no other choice. I am a single mother and all Ridhaan's responsibilities are on me. It hurts me everytime when I  have to go on business trips.

After completing my work, I drove to Ridhaan's school.

Ridhaan was standing there with other kids and his class teacher.

"Good Afternoon Ms. Kapoor." his class teacher Ms. Tripathi greeted me.

"Good Afternoon Ms. Tripathi." I replied.

"How are you today?" She asked me

"I am good Ms. Tripathi. How about you? I hope Ridhaan isn't  troubling you much in school." I asked

"Ridhaan is doing good at studies just like always but he's same with other kids. He don't make friends. He just talks to Varun in the class. Day before yesterday he made a girl cry." she complained.

I looked at Ridhaan who was looking at us while listening to what Varun was saying.

"I am sorry Ms. Tripathi. I would talk to him." I replied.

"That would be great." she replied.

"Thankyou Ms. Tripathi." I replied and took Ridhaan's bag and held his hand and walked towards the car.
.
.
.

"Which flavour do you want?" I asked him

"Cookie and cream." he said. I told the waiter our order and looked at Ridhaan after the waiter left.

"So I heard you made a girl cry in the school." I said.

"Ms. Tripathi told you. Didn't she?" he asked me.

"She did." I said

"Why she do that. She always complains about everything to you." he started sulking.

"That's her duty" I said "So why did you made a girl cry?"

"I didn't do anything. She was just irritating me and talking to me when I already told her that I want peace but she kep asking me things and telling em about her favourite movie, her favourite colour which was pink. Eww." he said

"Uh huh." I replied signalling him to continue.

"SI yeah she didn't stopped and I just told her that she's clingy and that she should leave me alone and irritate someone else." he said shrugging.

I gasped "This is not how you're supposed to treat a girl Riddhu." I said "You should respect her and talk politely to girls" I said

He just kept grumbling and eating his ice cream. Sighing I started sipping my coffee.

After that we drove to home. We had our lunch together then took a nap.

After the short nap I helped Ridhaan with his homework while I checked the files of the meeting in Dubai.

Then I packed his uniform, clotherms and toys while he helped me in packing. Finally after my packing and having dinner I drove towards the Kapoor Mansion.

I looked at Ridhaan in the passenger seat again looking outside the window but this time without a smile. He's dispoointed or maybe sad that I am going.

"I will be try to be back as soon as I can." I said

"Hmm." he replied.

"Be a good boy for Mumma. Okay? Talk politely to all the elders, eat your food completely, do your homework on time and don't fight with your cousins." I said

"I know Maa."

"Ask Maami to call me if something's wrong." I said

"Yeah Maa. It's not like i will be living with them for the first time." he said. And instantly I felt a sharp pain in my heart. Am i doing wrong in leaving him? Should I not go to the meeting?

Thoughts like this started coming in my mind just like every other time I used to drop him at Kapoor mansion when I had to go away from Delhi for meeting.

"Do you w at me to buy something else from there?" I blurted desperate to see his smile back but then realisation his me like a mountain.

What did I just do?

Did I tried to buy his smile and happiness with material things when I know his happiness lies in me not leaving him.

With a dull mood I kept driving lost in my thoughts.

The guards opened the door for me when they saw its me in the car and I drove inside.

Walking inside the mansion I found no one in the living room so I walked inside the dinning room and there were everyone sitting together eating their dineer and discussing about some function like a happy family. A family which I am a member of but never felt that I am.

My sister in law noticed me standing there alone and stood up from her chair. She walked towards me with a big smile and wrapped her arms around me hugging me lightly careful to not hurt the two little ones in the process.

"How are you Naina?" She asked me

"I am good Bhabhi. How are you?" I asked with a small genuine smile. My bhabhi is one of my favourite person is the world.

"I am awesome as always.", Bhabhi replied and went to hug Ridhaan while I was pulled on my knees by my little nephew and niece who were holding my hands and asking me to bend down so that they can hug me.

Chuckling I hugged both of them and kissed their cheeks.

Bhai came to me and kissed my forehead while rubbing Ridhaan's hairs.

"Come join us for the dineer. " Bhai said.

I looked at the table at the other three members who were sitting there with no care of my presence.

"No bhai you guys continue. I just came to drop Ridhaan off. I have flight in 2 hours." I said and he just nodded his head.

"I should leave now." I said and smiled at them.

"Hmm. I wanted to discuss something with you." Bhai said.

Then he started walking towards the backyard. I followed him.

"This Saturday is the Kapoor's annual charity gala." He said which made me nod my head.

"I know you don't like to attend the parties and all but as one of the biggest share holder and one of the heir of the business you will have to attend it." He said.

I knew I can't escape from this event. I just hate socialising. I hate fake people. I feel suffocated in crowd when people look at me and then gossip about my private life, my appearance, my life. I hate this.

"Okay i will come."

"And there's a meeting of all the board members on the same day in the morning." He informed further.

"Okay. Just message me the informations of everything. I will come." I said

He observed my face for a second which was emotionless like always. He patted my head and hugged me slightly.

I smiled hugging him back. I feel safe in his arms. I love this man so much. He's someone who she loves the most in this world after her baby.

Our mom left us when I was just 7 and bhai was 12. My relation with my father is not good. We don't talk to each other. For him I am a disappointment and for me he's just my father not my papa, not my dad. He married Ms. Maya after one year of my maa's death. I got a step mother who was caring and loving in the eyes of the world. I also got a step sister who was just one year younger from me. Both the mother daughter pair hates me and keeps their distance from me. Her daughter though doesn't leave a chance to show me less and insult me in front of people, in family gatherings or in front of my father.

I entered inside the dinning room where Bhabhi and Ridhaan were sitting and having dessert.

I walked towards their chair not looking at anyone else and kissed Ridhaan's forehead. He got down from the chair and hugged me tightly.

"Come back fast." he whispered in my ear and kissed my cheek. I nodded and we kissed his head. I bid my bye to bhabhi and Bhai and my nice a d nephew promising her that I will bring the lipstick and chocolates she asked me to buy. My eyes met my father's who was looking at me but instantly looked away when found me looking at him.

Maybe he cares. Even just 1%. I thought while walking outside and instantly my brain mocked me. Which left a bitter feeling in my heart. Don't expect anything from anyone especially him. He can never love or care about me.

Deciding to ignore the pain I stepped into my car not looking back at the mansion.

.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiii again

I have decided to edit this story a bit. Ridhaan is not 8 years old and Naina 34.

I just wanted to show Ridhaan's emotions and feelings which was getting difficult to write as he was kid earlier. Also I wanted to make some changes here and there to make the story more relatable.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I hope you would understand my pov.

Don't forget to press on the star icon below. And please do comment. I love reading comments.

Okay That's it for today.

Signing off
Meera.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

193K 25K 36
22 years old ADHIRA VATS, who's vague & intricate, too naive to deal with the cruel world. Getting married was never in her list, atleast not before...
3.3M 168K 68
Highest Ranking: #1 in chick-lit for more than 60 days :) [Blurb] "I clearly warned you before the marriage, you can't treat her like this! you said...
875K 43.2K 73
Naina Rao: She's a 22 year old engineering graduate. Loves to read books , write and is an intellectual thinker. Aspires to study AI in Canada. Lives...
1.7M 72.4K 70
It's time to fall for cocky, charming, and handsome Billionaire! Or is it? Anyways, life gives you what you never expected out of it in the mess wher...