Guardians of Terraria II: The...

By Cavinator1

The Guardians defeated Cthulhu, Lord of the Moon, but a new threat casts its mask over the world. A powerful... More

Author Note + First Book Summary
Prologue
Episode 17.1 - Hero of Etheria
Episode 17.2 - Conqueror of Worlds
Episode 17.3 - Blood-Red Carnage
Episode 17.4 - Sinking of the Seas
Episode 18.1 - The New Dunes
Episode 18.2 - Guardian of the Former Seas
Episode 18.3 - There Are Some Who Call Him...
Episode 18.4 - sanctuary
Episode 19.1 - The Tale of a Cruel World
Episode 19.2 - 1NF3$+@+!0N
Episode 19.3 - Vehicular Manslaughter
Episode 20.1 - Blood Coagulant
Episode 20.2 - The Filthy Mind
Episode 20.3 - Border Settlement
Episode 20.4 - Return to Slime
Episode 21.1 - A Fabulous Palate
Episode 21.2 - Cold Conversations
Episode 21.3 - Antarctic Reinforcement
Episode 22.1 - The Step Below Hell
Episode 22.2 - Left Alone
Episode 22.3 - wasteland
Episode 22.4 - Hadopelagic Pressure
Episode 23.1 - Outcast of the Sulphurous Seas
Episode 23.2 - corrosion!
Episode 23.3 - Warnings and Wailings
Episode 23.4 - Rust and Dust
Episode 24.1 - Raw, Unfiltered Calamity
Episode 24.2 - Silence before the storms
Episode 24.3 - R'LYEH
Episode 24.4 - Fly of Beelzebub
Episode 25.1 - From Bottom to Top
Episode 25.2 - The Great Sand Jaws
Episode 25.3 - Siren's Call
Episode 25.4 - Forbidden Lullaby
Episode 26.1 - The Heaven-Sent Abomination
Episode 26.2 - Pest of the Cosmos
Episode 26.3 - Interstellar Stomper
Episode 27.1 - Blessing Of The Moon
Episode 27.2 - The Nexus Level
Episode 27.3 - Open Frenzy
Episode 28.1 - Aftershock
Episode 28.2 - Storms Before The Catastrophes
Episode 28.3 - Unholy Ambush
Episode 28.4 - Unholy Insurgency
Episode 29.2 - Feral Amalgamation
Episode 29.3 - Intentions and Motivations
Episode 29.4 - Endless Hunger
Episode 30.1 - nuclear monsoon
Episode 30.2 - Toxic Wisdom
Episode 30.3 - Threats of the Ocean Floor
Episode 30.4 - void
Episode 31.1 - Servants of the Scourge
Episode 31.2 - Scourge of the Universe
Episode 31.3 - Universal Collapse
Episode 32.1 - Revengeance and Death
Episode 32.2 - Murderswarm
Episode 32.3 - Infernal Catharsis
Episode 32.4 - Roar of the Jungle Dragon
Episode 33.1 - A Final Countdown
Episode 33.2 - Inferior Fabrications
Episode 33.3 - Exothermic Reactions
Episode 34.1 - Rejuvenation
Episode 34.2 - Catastrophes Before The Calamity
Episode 34.3 - Stained, Brutal Calamity
Episode 35.1 - Confessions of Fighters
Episode 35.2 - Ensemble of Fools
Episode 35.3 - Onslaught of Beasts
Episode 35.4 - Battles of Heroes
Episode 35.5 - Reign of Lords
Epilogue
Behind the Scenes

Episode 29.1 - Phantom Emotions

49 9 0
By Cavinator1

Renee did her best not to lose Robyn in the sky as she ran after her. She did some expert slinging with her grappling hook, using it to propel herself faster and faster. Soon she was running directly underneath Robyn. A Scorn Eater leapt in front of Renee, which she threw her Molten Amputator at. The profaned golden scythe had dropped from Providence upon her death. It emanated a burst of molten globs that set the Scorn Eater ablaze, causing it to writhe in fury. Renee leapt right over it and kept chasing after Robyn. Robyn hadn't seemed to have noticed her, despite Renee calling her name.

It was almost as though she was in some sort of trance.

Something was up with her. She'd seemed suicidal earlier, but her mood hadn't been like this.

They soon left the Hallow, coming into an ordinary green forest, but then they emerged into a clearing.

Ahead was a large pink building, its entrance held up by pillars of brick, battlements crenellated across its roof. A landmark that was as recognisable as it was deathly.

Why is Robyn heading into the Dungeon?

***

"Hellooooo Sid!" James the Clothier called.

"Where's Robyn and Renee?" Roxanne the Stylist asked.

Sid wiped his face and looked about the planetoid lab entrance. "I'm not sure. We got attacked by Providence the Profaned Goddess in the Hallow, but Robyn seemed to pass out while we were fighting her. Then afterward, when she woke up, she just... flew off. I asked Renee to follow her, though..."

He left them and headed to the room where the Codebreaker was set up. Whitney the Steampunker was tinkering with one of the Power Cell Factories, and he was surprised to also see Amber the Bandit there.

"Howdy," she said.

"Hey," Sid replied. "Good news is, I found Uelibloom. It spawned in the jungle. Turns out defeating Providence was what caused it to appear."

"Seems like a lot of ores in this world are like that," the Steampunker said.

Video game design, Sid thought to himself. Same thing with the ethereal voice he had heard letting him know about the so-called 'fossilised tree bark.'

He stepped over to an Adamantite Forge and smelted the Uelibloom ore into bars. The first thing he did was craft a set of Tarragon Armour, which used Uelibloom and also some of the Divine Geodes that Providence had dropped.

Once he had coated himself in the brown-and-green tree-bark armour, he turned to the sole remaining unencrypted Schematic. Using more of the Uelibloom he crafted a Voltage Regulation System, and set it up on the Codebreaker.

This is it. Their schematic hunt was over. Yharim may have taken William and Meg from them, killed Permafrost, and trapped them in Secondworld, but Sid was determined to get revenge. Never had he ever felt more hard-set on a goal.

He couldn't help thinking about Yharim's promise of a portal to real life, though. Sid had basically known from the start that this video game world was just that – a video game. A virtual reality that had been fabricated inside the real one. And Yharim claimed that Firstworld – the Nexus – was the only world where a portal to real life could be made.

He had his doubts about how much of what Yharim had said was true, though. Yharim had used Calamitas – Meg – to deceive them all. Who wasn't to say that he had done the same thing to trick William?

We'll know for sure once we get back to Firstworld and kick his shiny golden butt.

He slid the final Schematic into the Codebreaker.

He waited the two minutes it took for the Schematic to fully decrypt, watching the jumble of random letters and numbers slowly coalescing into comprehensible words, and eventually, complete sentences.

I have since made progress to even greater weapons than these, but they remain creations to be proud of. No progress can be made without a desire that comes from dissatisfaction.

Addendum: The time has come. You are ready.

***

Robyn made her way through the dingy pink tunnels of the Dungeon. She leapt over collapsing floors, dodged poisonous darts that shot from walls and avoided the swinging spiky balls. She fired entire bursts from her Clockwork Bow to instantly obliterate any of the Armoured Bones that came after her, and whenever the skeletal enemies began to overwhelm her, she would switch to her Astreal Defeat to push them away.

An enemy draped in dark gray robes with blood-red trimming ran forward holding a shiv out. A Cultist Assassin, which Robyn quickly silenced with an entire volley from her Clockwork Bow. After its death it morphed into a bright blue Dungeon Spirit – a spectral enemy that accelerated towards her, phasing through the floor before curving up in front of her. She jumped backwards, anticipating its attack, and fired an arrow that turned the spirit into Ectoplasm.

A Paladin chose that moment to round a corner, hurling a large hammer at Robyn. She dodged to the side and began firing her Astreal Defeat, pouring arrow after arrow into it, an endless wave of purple bringing its health down quickly.

But when the Paladin fell, it too morphed into a spirit. This time it was red – named a Phantom Spirit. A wicked grin seemed to spread across its form and it lunged itself towards her.

It had a surprisingly large amount of health – Robyn's arrows weren't able to bring it all the way down before it slammed through her, dealing over 150 damage. She spun around as it curved to make another charge at her, only for a golden scythe to slice right through it, causing it to dissipate into phantoplasm, the dropped item rushing into Robyn's inventory.

"What are you doing down here, Robyn?" Renee asked. "This whole place is filled with the vengeful lost souls of those that Yharim imprisoned down here. You never want to mess with them."

The sound of her name made a tiny part of Robyn's true personality. Some of the carefree confidence and clarity she'd been feeling seemed to fall away, and a part of her began to question why she was down here. In this grim, horrific underground Dungeon.

Then, she reminded herself.

"It's all because of the Lunatic Cultist," she said to Renee.

"The who now?"

"First he invaded my nightmares. A few times actually. I could dismiss that as being paranoia, but... I can't ignore the Cultist I kept glimpsing while we were fighting Providence..."

"Robyn, what the heck are you talking about?" Renee asked.

Robyn stared at her. "You wouldn't know. You don't know me."

Renee stared right back, remembering a time when she'd once said that to Permafrost the Archmage.

"I can't claim to know you," Renee said, using his response. "I only know William chose to join up with Yharim and that peeved you off."

"It didn't peeve me off!" Robyn shouted. "It made me..." she suddenly gulped. "Disappointed." She sighed, looking down at the floor. "Yharim claimed to have found a way to real life. And... he chose that over me. He chose something that may not even be true, and threw away something so..." she choked. "Something so real!"

She collapsed, dropping to her knees. She looked down at her armoured hands.

Renee considered making a snide remark at her overdramatic attitude, but thought better of it. Let her cry, she thought.

And she did, for a good few minutes. Soon she looked up at Renee, her eyes burning with tears. "Aren't you going to say anything? Or do you only know how to kill people?"

Renee bristled. "I don't only know how to kill people!" she shouted.

But what do I know how to do? she found herself thinking.

She'd been raised to fight. To kill. She hadn't been raised to help those in sadness.

Robyn kept crying, feeling more alone than ever. No William to comfort her. No Sid to put things in perspective. Just Renee, who to her seemed just as cold as Meg. Meg, who had turned out to be a fiery hot witch.

Robyn clambered to her feet and spun around.

"Wait!" Renee called, but she ignored her.

She had to find answers, and the Dungeon here in Secondworld was the only place she could think of.

Firstworld and Secondworld were very different, but there were numerous features they shared, including a Dungeon.

And the Dungeon had been where the Cultists had operated out of Firstworld.

Surely there were Cultists in Secondworld too?

She ran and ran and ran, instinctively firing her bow at enemies in her path, her eyes not taking in any details about them.

Until she came face-to-face with a large cloud of cerulean ectoplasm.

Morphing into a black metal body, two ghostly claws sprouting from its maw, a single white eye opening on its side.

Extending out four ghostly chains that grappled into the brick surfaces around it.

Polterghast gnashed its jaws and charged towards her.

They could probably use Luigi right about this point. Not only can he win by doing absolutely nothing, but he's also a seasoned expert on the supernatural thanks to adventures in his mansion.

This statement has nothing to do with voting, carry on (don't forget to vote).

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

259 11 10
Fragments... used to craft something better. The world with pieces missing is incomplete. Left alone for years with questions wanting answer. The lig...
9.9K 878 59
William, Robyn and Sid wake up in a strange grassy forest, made completely from pixels and blocks, with no memory of their past or knowledge of the w...
443K 30.4K 102
After being reincarnated in his favorite game Jasper Toledo, otherwise known as Calloway Calphius, finds himself in the city he created 250 years aft...
379 27 19
A little thing cause nobody did it yet also I love calamitas This story's basically a reference to Ourobot's calamitas but with a little sprinkle of...