Paris

By 19RaeNegade

In times where a war between the rich and the poor commences and evil lurks in the darkness, miraculous rebel... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77

43

287 14 2
By 19RaeNegade

{+}{+}{+}

Marinette's P.O.V

   I felt a yank on my arm, pulling me into a space.

   I had searched for over an hour for Alya and asked around for anyone who had seen her last. Yet, it had always come to a dead end. Nobody knew where my personal servant had gone.

   Could she have possibly gone home? She could not have during an Akuma attack. The streets had been too dangerous to be out. Alya is not dumb enough to leave the safety of the mansion...could she? I have not known her long enough to know.

   I was so deep in thought, I was not expecting to be grabbed.

   I fought back against whoever was trying to nab me.

   "Unhand me!" I growled.

   "Marinette! Calm yourself down! It is I, Rose!"

   I stopped my attack and spotted Rose shielding herself with her arms.

   "Oh my! I am so sorry!" I quickly apologized, realizing that we were in one of the secret passages.

   "It is alright. I had tried to grab your attention but you were so deeply lost in your mind, I could not reach your attention through the thicket of your thoughts," Rose explained until shaking her head, "Never mind that. We have some catching up to do. Follow me."

   "Have you found more information?" I questioned, trailing behind the witch.

   "Not quite," Rose answered, "I wanted to ask you about your fiancé, Lord Couffaine. He has caught my suspecting interest."

   "Luka? Why would you want to know about him?" I asked, "Does he have something to do with Hawkmoth too?"

   "I am not sure, to be honest. But what I do know is that it is impossible for him to be here," Rose told me. I was confused by her words. What did she mean by that? She noticed my curious stare. A stone-hard look crossed her face. I never thought I would bear witness to an icy look on such a sweet face.

   "Luka Couffaine should be dead," Rose stated, sounding haunted with each word coming off her tongue.

   This information left me flabbergasted.

   "E-Excuse me?" I stammered out, taken aback by this information. I tried to see if I heard her right or if she was joking. Her expression did not morph away from the serious one, leading me to believe that she was indeed telling the truth.

   "What do you mean he is supposed to be dead?" I frantically asked. My mind was abuzz, lit with burning questions needing to be answered.

   "Actually, how do you know he is supposed to be dead? Did you try to murder him?" I was practically interrogating Rose at this point.

   I could never imagine her harming anything...but she could have changed. It has been a few years since I last saw her. A lot could change during that time.

   "What?! Of course not! I would never harm anyone," Rose confirmed my suspicions not true, "He was supposed to be dead even before I knew of him."

   I let out a sigh, "You know what, please explain from the beginning."

   "Well, he was my mentor's brother," Rose explained, "She had told many stories about him—even showed me a picture of him. That was how I knew what he looked like.

   "Now, we are both investigating how he still walks this earth. Not only does my mentor want to figure out about her seemingly alive brother, he may also be the key to helping us in our search for Hawkmoth."

   I knew there was something odd about Luka but I would have never imagined this outcome. The very thought sent creeping shivers down my back.

   I am engaged to marry a corpse?

   It is unnerving to think about but I am disgusted that someone would disturb the dead in such a manner. It is cruel and disrespectful to the soul of that vessel. I cannot imagine what Luka's—if that even is his name—sister is going through at the moment.

   What could Hawkmoth get out of using Luka? What pieces of this puzzle are we missing in this mystery? How are my parents involved with this too?

   "So..." I started, unsure how to continue for a moment, "...is there a reason you are telling me this now?"

   "I apologize. I was still gathering information on Lord Couffaine to find out the reason for his...appearance. You are not the only curious one but I lack some information and I still am. I do have a theory though," Rose explained, "I was wondering if you have seen anything suspicious about Luka."

   "Yes, I have," I answered, "At times when we were alone together, he would...shift into some other character for a split second and send secret hints of pleas to me."

   Rose paused and frowned.

   "I was afraid you would say something like that," the blonde said, making me worry. The knot in my chest tightened.

   "Whatever do you mean?" I asked.

   "It is a forbidden form of dark magic from the necromancy chapter. It is an advanced spell called spiritry. With man's last breath, a magic user can perform a spell that traps a soul in a recently deceased body and uses it to their bidding," Rose explained.

   She emitted a ghastly aura that could make even the bravest knight cower.

   "Like a puppet," I spoke.

   This earned a nod of confirmation from Rose, "I am afraid that Luka's soul may be trapped in his own body."

   I did not say another word. I did not know what to say about this...this horrendous situation. This was terrible! It is really hard to fathom. Who on earth could be so vile as to torture a soul?

   "I...I do not know what to say..." I trailed off in disbelief. I hardly knew the man but I felt sympathy toward him.

   "It is alright. You do not have to speak a word. We are going to save Luka but the only way to do so is to cut the bond between him and his master," Rose replied, "Of course, we would need to know who his master is."

   "And how do you propose we do all of that?" I asked.

   "Once we have found his master, there are only two ways we can free Luka. We can either forge an enchanted sword and cut the bond with it or we would have to permanently eliminate the master," Rose explained.

   My eyes expanded in surprise at the second option. It made sense but it did not seem like the right choice to make. I know whoever is Luka's manipulator is diabolical but they are still human, whether they are a magic user or not. Besides, I would much rather have them suffer in a cell than take the easy way out.

   "We shall try the first option. How long do you think forging an enchanted sword will take?" I asked.

   Rose shrugged her shoulders, "I have not a clue but I am sure my mentor can forge one faster than any average witch or wizard our age can."

   By the way Rose spoke about her teacher, I could hear her faith and optimism. She has complete trust in her teacher.

   "You must really look up to your mentor," I commented. Though it was dark, the tint of pink on Rose's cheeks and a fond smile did not go unseen by me.

   "Yes, I really do," she replied.

   I knowingly smirked, making the witch quickly evade my gaze and continue down the tunnel. We arrived at the other end of the secret tunnel but I do not recall where this one leads too.

   "Where are we going?" I questioned.

   "It is more of where you are going," Rose answered, only confusing me more.

   "Come again?" I asked, perking an eyebrow.

   "I am taking you to meet with your fiancé," Rose answered.

   "My fiancé! He is here already? How? We just had an Akuma attack!" I gawked before looking down at my apparel. I gasped, realizing that I am still in my nightgown.

   "I am not dressed properly! I am still in my sleepwear!" I added, gesturing to my clothes.

   "Since when did you start to care how you appeared in front of others?" Rose questioned.

   She did make a valid point.

   Still, I would be somewhat embarrassed to appear in front of Luka like this. Although, it might be worth the little embarrassment to see mother's reaction.

   I cannot do that though or else Alya's reputation as my personal servant may be tainted.

   Alya might permanently lose her chance to be a servant for the rich forever. She will be forced back to the poor section. The rich surprisingly pay their servants very well and it might be the reason why Alya took this job. She might need the money for her family.

   Or Alya will be sent to the punishment room for rouge servants. Mother rarely ever sends servants down to the basement since one scolding will make any servant bend to her will.

   But there was a good chance Alya could be sent there with how thin of a line I am standing on with Lord Couffaine. My appearance alone could sabotage everything for Alya if Luka so chooses to finally be done with me.

   I do not know how that man has the patience for me, honestly. I am shocked he is still willing to marry me. Although, he may not have a choice.

   Why would Hawkmoth want from me, though?

   What would Luka marrying me do for him?

   "I do not care what they think of me..." I agreed with Rose on that, "...but it may bring trouble for Alya. I do not want her to suffer the consequences."

   Rose smiled, "I understand. I would not want that either. You are a very selfless woman, Marinette and on behalf of the staff, I thank you for being so kind to them. Now, let us fix you up quickly before Luka arrives."

   I smiled at my friend in return before frowning with worry, "Speaking of Alya, do you happen to know where she is? It seems she has disappeared from the mansion during the attack."

   Rose pursed her lips in thought.

   "Unfortunately, Alya is not my main concern at the moment but I will see what I can do to find her," Rose assured, "Now, we need to hurry."

   Rose and I peeked out from the secret passage, making sure no one was in the area. Once the coast was clear, we quietly hurried to my bedroom.

{+}{+}{+}

Alya's P.O.V

   I stared at the mansion sitting in front of me.

   The red-bricked walls stood around three stories high. The only entry and exit was a large gate with thick-steel, dark gray bars. The mansion itself was the same color coordination as the walls and gate protecting it.

   It was esthetically pleasing to the eye but I knew the true ugly colors that had been in this place.

   It is very bittersweet seeing my old house.

   My family and I had only lived in this mansion for about two years until we were banished to the poor section. That was all my fault. I still do not understand how my family can look at me for the trouble I caused them...

   ...and Nino.

   I screwed my eyes shut as another wave of tears began to form and clenched my fists. I took a deep breath in and nearly released a sob. My heart crumbled up more like a worthless, used paper that should be tossed into the bin where it belongs—where I belong.

   My Kwami, Trixx, peeked out from my apron's pocket with sorrow-filled eyes and a frown.

   "I thought I would find you here."

   I gasped in fright, jumping out of my skin at the familiar voice—Nino's voice. I stood stock-still, unable to turn and look at him. How could I face him after what I had done? How can he stand to be in the presence of a wretched thing like me?

   Is he here for answers? Is he here to tell me that we are over? Can I even have his forgiveness, even if I do not deserve it?

   Who am I to kid? I do not deserve forgiveness at all.

   "Why..." I questioned, struggling to speak my mind.

   "Why what?" Nino asked in a soft tone. I did not understand why he was trying to be gentle when he should be the opposite.

   "Why...Why are you here?" I asked. There was a quiver in my voice as I continued, "How can you even stand to look at a w-worthless being such as me after learning what despicable deed I committed? You-You should be yelling at me! Telling me that you never want to see me again! You should hate me!"

   The breeze filled the silence between us as gray clouds loomed overhead. It grew chilly but I did not care. I do not deserve any form of warmth, only suffer the bitter chill of the consequences of my actions.

   And this place—this mansion—is where it all started.

{+}{+}{+}

Four years ago...

   "This mansion is atrocious," I commented, disgusted by the unflattering red building.

   "It looks as if somebody probably died a tragic death inside and is currently haunting it. How do you expect me to live in a place like this? I would much rather move back to Italy."

   "Do not be daft, child!" my mother hissed, hitting me in the head with her cane. I let out a pain-filled noise and rubbed the top of my head. I glared at my mother.

   "We are starting anew and making our name known! We have a reputation that we are barely keeping ahold so we need to start building a new support. We shall do it here in Paris, no matter how..." mother paused after finally examining the mansion, "...hm, how much this graveyard house needs sprucing up just like my daughters."

   I scoffed in offense along with my older sister. My younger twin sisters merely bowed with blank faces, monotonously agreeing, "Yes, mother."

   "At least two of the four brats I call daughters are respectful of their parent's wishes. Is that not right, my dear?" mother said.

   "That is right. So, my two oldest, you better not fail us and keep our reputation intact. Or else..." father warned Nora and I. I rolled my eyes, knowing full well when people ended threats such as that that it was all for show.

   "Come now, Onyxx. Let us explore our new home," father commanded his pet panther. I glared at the jungle cat. Father gives more attention to that thing than any of his children or his wife combined.

   "Or else what?" I challenged my father with a confident smirk, "You will place us in the corner for an hour until we learned our lesson?"

   Father's steps came to a halt. I felt my sisters tense on either side of me but I did not fear my father. He only was talking to talk—scaring us with empty threats so we can bend to his will.

   I will not be walked upon the likes of a man. Not a single male will keep me tethered down.

   Besides, the only way they think they know how to flatter a woman is with valuable and expensive jewelry. Then, they believe we would fall head over heels into their grimy hands just like that. Pathetic! Such small-minded creatures like that do not deserve my attention or my respect.

   Father and mother have tried to punish me in the past many times over. I turned out completely fine. I do not understand why my sisters fear our parents so much. There is nothing slightly intimidating about them.

   What makes this occasion any different from when we lived in Italy?

   Father slowly turned, eyes burning with fury. His face was sharp with anger but that soon changed. He grinned ear to ear with malevolence, throwing me into a loop. I raised an unimpressed eyebrow, wondering what "unbelievable" punishment I would get this time.

   "As you can tell, your sisters are very aware of the punishment," father stated matter-of-factly. He crossed his arms behind his back and approached me.

   "I will personally escort you to what would happen to a woman such as yourself, who thinks she can step out of line, later. Believe me when I say, we are not in Italy anymore. We are in Paris. There will be lots of changes now that our name is having a difficult time being known," father spoke with a menacing tone.

   Once he began making his way to the mansion again with Onyxx and mother, I glanced at my stiffly standing siblings. They wore frowns and looks of horror on their faces. What did they know that I did not?

   I suppose they were always big babies. They were never as daring or brave as I. I am sure whatever father is going to show me will be nothing to worry over.

   With a distaste for the crude mansion, I followed my parents inside to investigate my new bearings. I had a ton of complaints about this place from the wall coloring down to slightly dusty objects.

   Did no one have the decency to clean this place before we came? How rude! The nerve of the seller and my parents, who thought this was a good idea!

   "Are those cobwebs?" I thought, grossed out by the wedding on a random rotted stand in the hallway. It is no wonder this place never lived in for so long. It is disgusting!

   I continued my walk of misery until arriving at my supposed bedroom. I opened the doors and scanned the large room.

   I walked in and examined the area. If I had to give credit anywhere in this nightmare hole, this room does not look decently bad. It is much nicer than my last room and it came with a balcony, it seems.

   Still, I would rather be back in Italy.

   Opening the doors that lead out to the balcony, I stepped out to look at the view. I leaned on the stone railing out of boredom. My last home had a much better view and it is very quiet. I have not seen a single person since we arrived. Where was everyone?

   I let out an annoyed sigh. It looks like Paris is going to be my undoing.

   I caught a glimpse of movement out of the side of my eye. I searched for whatever caught my attention, squinting my eyes to better see. Was it only my imagination?

   A blur of a shadow flew up past the railing, startling me. I screeched when the thing landed on the other end of the balcony. A dark purple creature stood there and stared at me.

   "What is that thing?" I thought, frantically searching for a solution to escape this beast.

   I slowly backed up until the thing charged at me. I screamed and backed too fast that I fell backward over the railing. I managed to grab ahold of the decorative ledge but I was in a more vulnerable position than before.

  While I had many thoughts racing through my mind, there was one that stuck out the most.

   "I hate this city!"

{+}{+}{+}

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87.2K 4.1K 21
Marinette has always been invisible, which comes in handy saving the streets of Paris as Ladybug. Adrien is the opposite, always the center of attent...
76.3K 4.1K 47
When an akumatized victim begins to attack Marinette with the supervision of Hawkmoth, Chat Noir attempts at being her protector. Due to a distracti...
484K 11.3K 60
During their Junior year in Highschool, Marinette was forced to go back to her roots. The country of China. Leaving her friends, and Adrien was hard...
233K 4.8K 33
[UNDER EDITING]Marinette and Adrien take on Hawkmoth in the final battle, overcoming challenges Ladybug never thought she'd face again... including C...