Wishful Dreaming

By Gunebug

What if Mono stayed in the Wilderness? What if Seven survived the Maw and went to the Wilderness? What if Mon... More

01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18: Epilogue

12

195 10 0
By Gunebug

Mono and Seven exited the elevator hand in hand, their feet slapping against the smooth tile underneath. It was still pitch black, the only source of light coming from his flashlight and elevator. A strong odor came from down the wide hall, which they learned was coming from a pile of moldy mannequins. Not wanting to go that way, they started heading down the opposite hallway.

There was another gate, though this time they just needed to climb up a piece of metal hanging out of the window opening, easily getting in. There were surprisingly working lights above them, lighting up where they needed to go, so that Mono didn't need to constantly hold the flashlight. It was a good thing too, because after going closer to the barely boarded up door, one of the cabinets on the file drawer began to shake. One hand popped out, Seven rushed over and started to try and keep the rest of whatever was in there locked up. Mono picked up a pipe piece instead, fighting off the escaped hand, keeping it away from Seven.

Mono got a few swings on the hand crawling around before Seven couldn't keep holding back the other one, it springing out as he ran towards the door. With Mono fighting the hands, Seven worked on trying to pull the boards off the bottom of the door, slightly covering up the hole there. Mono was able to fend himself from the hands, taking them both out. Seven was still panickingly struggling with the door when Mono came over to him, helping take off the rest of the boards.

If they thought the hallway smelled bad, then this room just out right stunk, probably because of the literal rotting face masks on the wall. They could both hear banging over head, which was never a good sign, Mono sticking closer to Seven as he looked up and continued. They walked quietly into the next room that had shelves almost everywhere full of mostly towels and medical stuff. The thing that stuck out the most was a large man hanging on the ceiling, crawling around instead of using the floor, his body twisting in ways it shouldn't to do so.

The two boys hid underneath one of the shelves and peered at the deformed man as he was using the shelves to hold himself while he looked around. The man, if you could consider it that anymore, had fat rolling down and his forehead was extremely wrinkly. Neither child liked the look of the doctor, watching cautiously as he crawled away on the ceiling. How in the world did the ceiling not fall from the pressure? They would probably never know.

As the doctor worked on what the two boys could only hope was mannequin parts, they attempted to sneak past, not wanting to be chased by the thing. It worked, they were able to crouch walk through a hole and into the next room. The room they were in now had a lot of beds, most likely being an old resting room or medical bay. Glad for the bed's covering, the two watched as the disturbing figure opened the door and crawled through there, grunting and huffing. The roof creaked and crumbled a bit from the pressure of the oversized man, but still did not break.

Seven's breathing stopped whenever the man bent down next to the bed he and Mono were hiding under, messing with something on top of the bed, most likely a mannequin patient. When he went away to do the same to another mannequin, the boys began to quietly sneak under another bed, praying they wouldn't be caught. They were slowly making their way over as the doctor worked away, not knowing that they were two very alive children there it could grab for whatever weird experiments he was doing.

Making a hand movement for Mono to stay put in a safe position, ignoring the obvious dislike from the boy, Seven made his way to a block on the ground. They would need it to press the button on a gate out of the room. Quickly, but silently, the boys got back to the gate, and Seven threw the block as hard as he could at the button. The gate made a loud buzzing sound like it always did while opening, making both boys sprint out of the room and into a hiding place. The doctor made some weird grunting noises, shuffling as fast as he could go to investigate what happened.

Mono and Seven could hear the man breathing heavily, searching for the invaders, before deciding to search a different part of the room. Knowing this was their only chance, the children ran to the file cabinet that was directly under a vent in the ceiling, quickly climbing their way to it. The vent door made a loud creaking noise, and Mono winced, thinking he was about to hear the doctor come back and get them. When that didn't happen, he let out a small breath of relief. It didn't last long as Mono could see a light turn on in the room below from the missing tiles, which were no doubt from the doctor's weight.

The vent was dusty and bent in multiple places, making them all the more wary, but they luckily made it out without dying. Now they were in a more open space between the ceiling tiles and the actual ceiling, half of the tiles no longer there. The man was really not supposed to crawl on these, as he was tearing most of them off, making the whole ceiling dip and fall apart in spots. Mono was glad to be able to get back down onto the ground by hopping off onto an opened cot attached to the wall. Seven just completely ignored it and landed on the bed below it, somehow taking the fall without any injuries, shocking Mono from how far the boy could jump without getting hurt.

Mono had to turn on the flashlight again so that they could see, and he was grateful the doctor wasn't in the room, since the light would immediately give away their place. He was also glad about that whenever Seven began to drag out a rusty pull out cot, it creaked loudly the entire time. Seven got into it after pulling it most of the way out, Mono about to argue about him going instead when the smaller boy gave him a hard look. Mono puffed, irritated, or mostly worried, but pushed the cot back through the wall nonetheless. Now Seven was in the other room, exploring for something.

Seven did not like the air of this room at all, smelling horrid and feeling almost suffocating. He searched the room, wanting to get out of here soon so that he can properly breath, finding nothing really. That's when he decided he needed to look in higher places, and started to pull out the cots that had actual covered bodies in them. Feeling grossed out as he walked over the dead figure and leaped onto the next cot already pulled out, it has a stiff but oddly squishy body as well. Swinging on an opened cabinet, he was able to get on top of the counter.

The dark haired boy almost slipped as he walked on it, blood covering most of the once smooth top. He hated how it felt slimy on his bare feet, spreading on them as he carefully treaded across. The blood most likely came from the pile of human guts in the sink, which had a nasty shine to it in the fluorescent light. Absolutely disgusted by the insides of a person laying right out in the open, Seven tried his hardest to ignore it.

The small boy stepped back a little, and made the decent sized jump to another pulled out cot, this time with what seemed to have a box in it. Now that he was on top of the cabinets, he was able to look around and spot that there was a key on a smaller cabinet below, which he couldn't reach on the ground. Feeling proud of himself for finding it, he hopped down and grabbed the key, holding it tightly in his hand as he just jumped the rest of the way down back to the floor.

The dark haired child made his way back to the cot that got him in there and called for Mono, who answered back with a small noise, pulling out the thing for Seven to get back. Now that Seven was with Mono, he held up the key and grinned, the other boy giving him a thumbs up. They now had the key to unlock the double door on the other side of the room, so that they could keep going.

Though the door was still somewhat jammed, which the two boys did not like that. Hoping that nothing was on the other side of the door, or that the incredibly big doctor wasn't there, they both began to push on the door. It squeaked from the pressure of the boys putting all their weight on it, and soon flew open after a few seconds of bending. Mono fell over on himself, while Seven just stumbled forward a bit. The boy still standing held out his hand for Mono, helping the other back on his feet.

This room seemed to hold more bodies that Seven was getting tired of seeing. Mono wasn't particularly fond of it either, wondering where all these corpses came from and why they were there. Didn't hospitals usually not keep patients they failed to keep alive? He thought that was for cemeteries or something.

None of that mattered as they were getting out, using a file cabinet to get on top of the shelves and into another vent. Mono doesn't know why they go through so many vents, but he was feeling a little claustrophobic from the whole thing, uncomfortable with how little the small space gave for him to escape fast and easy. It also provided little hiding places. Seven didn't find the vents fun either, though didn't mind them as much, since it was a much safer way of travel then right in the open near the monsters that were after them. Really, he was grateful for them, as they helped them both out before. That didn't mean he wanted to stay in there for too long, the air felt thinner with no air ever actually passing through it.

Going up the ladder in the vent, that never made sense to Mono, because only children would be able to fit through the vents. Unless, that was exactly what they were designed for. He lifted the vent covering and crawled out, holding it up for Seven to get out as well. This place was well lighted for the most part, allowing Seven to see the dust floating in the air, gross. There was yet another gate that would need a battery to open up, and both of the kids knew it was up to them to find the dang thing. This was going to be a lot of fun.

Another fun thing was that they could hear the doctor up here with them, adding another thing for them to worry about. No longer able to go through the door like normal people, the two petite children crouched under the space in the wall and out to the other side, having to hide under the sink barely attached to the wall. The whole room shook and the light swung as the large man went back and forth in the room, bending down to grab strange looking stuff to go clean off in a sink. There was a butcher knife and other suggestive things on the same table, that made Seven believe that the stuff the doctor had was actually meat, human meat that was. Were most people cannibals nowadays?

Quietly sneaking from the sink to under the table that the doctor was using, the two waited rather impatiently for the right time to make their way to another table to hide under. Then when the doctor was distracted and couldn't see them, Seven gestured for Mono to boost him up into the room beside them. Mono shook his head, not wanting to put the smaller boy in any risks like that since he chose to come into this place. Seven gave Mono a frown and crossed his arms, obviously not allowing Mono to do this without a fight.

Mono worriedly looked over his shoulder at the doctor, who could come back this way at any time, and back to Seven who still wasn't showing any signs of cooperation. He sighed and shook his head, giving in once again to the stubborn boy in front of him. He cupped his hands and Seven swiftly got into the next room, which appeared to be a very rundown and almost empty medical room.

There was a loud beeping sound that filled the room, coming from a machine near a bed. There was a light near the bed behind the curtain surrounding it, allowing Seven to clearly see a body laying on the bed. To his surprise the body was moving, not any weird twitching or anything either, it was breathing. Though he wondered how long that would last, especially after seeing the tons of other patient's dead bodies stored away in pull out cots inside cabinets. The poor person was probably going to have their organs ripped out and examined, or their whole body chopped up and eaten by the oversized doctor.

Climbing up on the towel rack, that oddly enough had neatly folded towels on it, Seven was able to reach a ladder. Carefully going up bars that looked like they were put into the wall with force, causing cracks to spread all over, the boy made it to the top of the ceiling tiles. Like the one he and Mono had to walk over before, these were also broken or missing in some places, which he carefully avoided.

Realizing what he had to do, looking down at the lever below, he frowned and hesitated. This would most likely cut off the power that was keeping the other alive, causing them to die. Seven knew that they didn't deserve that, or that they most likely didn't since he actually didn't know them. He has ended other people's life before, but that was for self defense as they were usually after him. This person was lying unconscious on a bed, probably not even knowing what was going on. Did they truly need to die?

On the other hand, it was either them or the two boys. Seven would always choose Mono than some stranger lamely sleeping. Plus, they would most likely die soon anyways and be used for worse things. Maybe it would be better if Seven just ended their misery now, allowing them to pass on instead of being dependent on a machine and a wicked man to live. Yeah, this was for the best. At least Seven told himself that as he readied himself and jumped, catching the lever and pulling it down.

The lever made a loud sound, probably from where it hadn't been used in a while. Seven looked over at the machine, the beeping sound replaced with ringing as the line flattened, signaling the person was dead. He could already tell though, as they quit breathing as well, their body no longer rising. He let go of the lever and landed on the ground, feeling guilty with what he did.

He didn't get to think about those confusing feelings much more, as he could hear the tell-tale grunts and noises that the doctor heard what happened and was about to investigate. The boy froze for a second, almost forgetting that the doctor was even on the other side of the wall, before quickly moving his legs to hide himself under the bed with the now dead person on top. He tried to not think about it as he stilled his own breathing, anxiously hoping that he wouldn't get caught.

The door to the room was opened, the doctor having to duck in to be able to enter, he grunted when he saw the line flat and began to move towards the switch. The whole room trembled violently from it, and the person on top also shook, almost seeming alive, making Seven nauseous all over again. The man went to the switch and flipped it back on, the machine beeping once more, though this time it was a lot faster. There was more movement from on top of the bed, and the doctor went to look at them after turning the switch back off.

Seven could see the doctor bend down and look at the patient, before grabbing it's body and moving it around, probably trying to fix whatever happened. Seven took the opportunity to book it out of the room, hating how the room and the occupants inside made him feel.

Mono, upon spotting Seven rushing out, ran to the back of the room where the doctor was before. He hurriedly pulled out a cot and got on top so that he could use it to get to the other one. Now high enough to reach an opened cabinet, he was able to grab the battery he saw while Seven was busy finding a distraction for the doctor. There was still loud beeping from the other room and grunts from the doctor as he hurriedly worked, for some reason trying to keep the patient alive. Seven glanced into the room, his stomach doing flips from what he did, but not dwelling on it at the moment, running with Mono.

Instead of using the hole in the wall again, he just walked straight out of the door, since he didn't have to worry about the doctor seeing them this time. He walked as fast as he could with the heavy battery in his hands to the place in the wall near the gate they needed open. He knew this would create a loud buzzing sound much like the others, so he looked over at Seven to see if the boy was prepared. Seven looked at him and reluctantly nodded, readying himself in case they had to bolt as soon as the gate opened, which they most likely would.

With that, Mono put in the battery, already prepared for the loud alarm going off as it shifted open. There was a loud yelp from deep inside the other room, and the boys knew that the doctor was now alert of them. There were loud thumps from the doctor rushing to get them, and Mono gripped Seven's hand and ran out of the still barely parted gate. They couldn't wait for it to fully open if they wanted to make it out alive.

With the large twisted man yelling in a distorted, muffled voice, the kids ran faster, if possible. Sliding underneath shelves with bodies stacked on them, having to dodge them whenever the doctor pushed them over in an attempt to hit them with that, they were trying their hardest to survive. They may be exhausted with all that has been happening, but the adrenaline in them was causing that to melt and be replaced with a strong motive to get out of there. They should probably rest afterwards though.

The large man would make a weird grunting sound whenever he bent down to try and grab Mono, which was the only warning that he had to move out of the way. The other boy was further ahead, as they let go of hands soon after they began to run, both needing to focus on going. The smaller boy was a lot more nimble and faster than Mono as well. Leaping over and sliding under shelves as fast as he could, Mono was barely making it as the doctor caught up, pushing every single one of them to keep going. The stuff on them also shattered as they hit the ground, another obstacle that the poor boy had to avoid. To say the least, Mono was scared out of his mind, natural instinct and adrenaline the only thing not letting him cower in fear.

Mono sprinted down a few stairs, getting him a little bit ahead as the doctor attempted another grab at him. Then he had to crawl under some low tables with mannequin parts on it, seeing Seven there who had stopped for a second to make sure that Mono was alright. They both went as fast as they could, the tables behind them being crushed from the doctor who was trying to still kill them. The tables had been piled up all the way to the ceiling near the end of it, causing the doctor to try and crush them, wanting to get past them to get the two children who have been escaping his grasp every time.

That's when Mono saw another bigger furnace up ahead, much like the one in the room they were in earlier to burn the stuffed animal. He made up a quick plan since there was no other way to escape, and hoped it would work. He signaled for Seven to hide underneath the furnace door, which made the said boy look at Mono like he was crazy. Mono nodded again, trying desperately to get Seven to trust him on this. Seven looked at the boy for another millisecond, barely hesitating again before nodding. He dived underneath the furnace door and waited, Mono only hoping that the doctor would chase after him and not go after the other. He would never forgive himself if that happened.

Mono launched himself in the huge furnace, which still had a cot in it for bodies, and crawled underneath it, hiding from the doctor. The doctor was stupid enough to follow him in there, barely fitting as he squeezed in with whine like noises. Mono could see some light up ahead, which was the exit he was going to use to get out of there, noticing it before coming up with this dangerous plan. The cot bent from the large amount of weight on it, and Mono could see a reaching hand from behind as he struggled with the vent door leading out.

Mono successfully made it right before the cot fully collapsed from the man, and he waved at Seven to close the door. Seven nodded before quickly slamming the metal door, the latch falling down on its own, keeping the doctor trapped inside. Though when Seven saw the door actually bending and the latch coming loose, he knew that he needed to do something to keep the doctor inside and them safe. He looked at the switch on the wall that reminded him a lot of the one he flipped just a few minutes ago, killing the poor patient on the bed. He may have felt bad for that person, but this man had too many bad things for him to feel any sort of guilt. Which is why he didn't hesitate to jump and grab the switch, pulling it down and turning on the incinerator.

There was a yellowish orange light spilling out from the open vent below, heat pooling out as well. Screams of agony could be heard as the man burned inside, a horrible smell also starting to mix into the musty air. It was horrific really, but neither boy could find themselves to care as they listened, knowing that the distorted man had it coming.

They didn't stay there for too long though, as the noises inside soon stopped, and the smell from the black smoke was becoming overpowering. Hand in hand, they started to make their way out of the terrible place. They got into an elevator that Mono was sure would lead the way out, and couldn't help but sigh in relief. They made it out alive, and now he was going to be sure to rest before continuing, if he could that was. He looked at Seven, who was staring absently at the floor. Mono could only think about how tired the boy must feel, especially with the adrenaline wearing off.

Seven's eyes were indeed drooping, but he held strongly onto Mono's hand. He knew he would probably never forget this day, with everything that was happening. It felt like forever ago that he and Mono left the wilderness, but he knew that it probably hadn't even been a day ago. It was funny how time seemed to work at certain points. He was now, more than ever, grateful for the boy beside him, because there was no telling what he would be doing or if he would even be alive without the paper bag wearing boy. To be honest, he'd most likely be still locked up in that room in the cabin, waiting to die. He didn't really care what crazy adventure Mono dragged him on, as long as he was there with him, he's sure he'll be fine.

-

Heyyyy, got this chapter done two days early. I know that I'm messing with my schedule a lot now, but school was canceled and I couldn't help but write the rest of this. Also, sorry if the lack of extensive dialogue bothers you, but since they don't really talk in the actual games, I've been trying to go along with that more. Hope you understand. Another thing since I posted early this week I may post early again soon, though I wouldn't count on that haha.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

193K 6.8K 15
[NOTICE BEFORE READING] This story is currently being remade. I will not be posting any more chapters in this story but I may post any notices that c...
3.6K 505 26
Miles Hoàng's life is perfect. He has the perfect best-friend-slash-boyfriend-slash-bane-of-his-existence, Ziri Meziani. They live in a perfect (if a...
37.9K 1.2K 25
Cover by Ylkong2 Heavily inspired by other Monix stories! Will contain spoilers for Little Nightmares 2! A young boy who was framed for a crime he di...
14.1K 394 16
this is a Moven story that I thought of whilst reading others from some amazing creators. this is also the first book I have made so, it might be qui...