Not A Trophy Wife

By ann2ktheauthor

Being married to billionaire Dominic Lewis gives Savannah Lewis everything one could dream of. Money, diamond... More

Welcome
Characters
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Epilogue
Thank you!

Chapter Twenty-Six

2.6K 102 38
By ann2ktheauthor

"Good morning, Mrs. Lewis."

I rose in bed after the doctor entered the room. I was still a bit sleepy, probably from the meds. "Good morning, Dr. Said."

The doctor typed something on his tablet. "I am glad to tell you that the results of your tests are perfect. You will be discharged in an hour."

"What about Jayden?"

"Your friend's condition is improving. There is no immediate danger to his life anymore. He will be moved to a room in the pulmonary unit on the third floor shortly."

My heart started beating extremely fast. "So, I can see him? Talk to him?"

"You'll be able to see him, but you won't be able to talk to him. He's still unconscious."

"But you said he was fine, didn't you?"

"There are significant improvements. But after being intubated, the patient was put into a medically induced coma. This is necessary because the intubation itself is uncomfortable, and patients often struggle with the tube, and this is how we ensure tube breathing works properly," the doctor explained.

"When will he wake up?" I asked, still full of worry.

"If everything goes this well, we will remove the tube and stop the medications in two to three days."

It all sounded so scary. Jayden couldn't die. He shouldn't die. He didn't deserve any of what happened to him. He didn't deserve his life to be in danger because of Dominic. Because of me. He didn't deserve it at all.

After the doctor left, I stood by the window and looked out. The sunshine usually brought warmth and joy to my heart but failed to improve my mood.

This mess was all my fault.

"Savi." Carmen's voice interrupted my dark thoughts.

She entered the room along with Banks and Cohen.

"Hey, guys." I approached them and hugged them.

"How are you?" the boys asked me in unison.

"I'm fine."

"And Jayden?" Carmen asked.

I repeated what the doctor had told me about Jayden's tube being removed in the next few days.

"That's great!" Carmen exclaimed.

"Define great, Carmen. Because none of this sounds great to me," I said sadly.

Carmen hugged me. "We can't change what happened, Savi. But we can accept the good news with joy."

I sighed heavily. The news did sound hopeful, but I couldn't find it in me to be happy. Why wasn't the heaviness lifting from me? The fear and worry felt as if they were still stuck in my throat and seemed to be trying to suffocate me.

"Jayden is strong, Savi. He'll fight through this." Banks also tried to reassure me, placing a hand on my shoulder.

Cohen nodded in agreement, then turned to me. "Can we see him today?"

"Yes. They are supposed to let me know once he's moved to the ward. Then can go to see him."

"Okay. Banks and I will go for a walk and get some coffee. Call us when you have information."

The boys left the room, and Carmen handed me a bag of clothes. My helmet was also inside.

"Banks brought your bike," she replied in response to my questioning look. "We left it in the parking lot for you, in case you want to go to the caravan.

"Thanks. But I don't plan to move from here until Jayden recovers."

"I know. But just in case," Carmen replied.

After Carmen gave me another of her reassuring and warm hugs, I went into the bathroom to shower.

"Carmen. What's the situation in the garage?" I asked while dressing up.

"Cohen said all the mechanical machinery was intact. Maybe a coat of paint on top and they'll be as good as new. Hopefully, the insurance will cover the electrical equipment that burned."

"I still can't believe it..." I ran my hands through my hair.

"Everything will be okay," Carmen said.

She put a hand across my waist, and we went to the reception.

After I got my documents in order, we headed straight to the pulmonology ward and sat on the benches in front of the door.

"Now what?" Carmen asked.

"We'll wait. I hope to see Jayden's doctor."

About two hours passed when I finally saw the doctor in the distance. It seemed he had seen me, too, and came to us.

"Mrs. Lewis. Your friend has been placed in room 301-A. Come with me. I'll walk you there," the medic said.

We passed through the main doors of the ward and entered the first room on the left.

I knew Jayden's condition. But I wasn't really prepared for the sight.

He was lying down with his eyes closed. A thick tube came out of his mouth, attached with bandages and some rubber bands. It was connected to a machine that stood next to his bed. Several smaller appliances were hung on a stand to the side.

There were many buttons. Too many sounds. Too many graphics on the monitor.

And Jayden... He looked so calm despite everything.

I approached his bed timidly.

"This is the mechanical ventilator." The doctor placed his hand on the machine. "It blows air with extra oxygen through the endotracheal tube," he explained, pointing to the tube that entered Jayden's mouth. "That way, the ventilator pushes air into his lungs. Tomorrow morning, we will start decreasing the ventilator support until Mr. Hill starts breathing on his own, and then we will turn off the machine completely and extubate."

"And he'll wake up, won't he?" I asked the doctor with teary eyes.

"Yes. Typically, waking up after an induced coma is expected to happen within twelve to seventy-two hours."

"Okay, thank you."

The doctor left the room and left silence in his wake. Only the sounds of the machine reverberated through the room.

I sat next to Jayden's bed. Carmen stood on the other side, holding Jayden's hand. This time the tears flowed down her cheeks.

"You'll make it," she whispered to him. "I know you're going to make it. You're my hero. You're our hero. You're going to be okay."

"Carmen, do you want me to go out for a bit?" I asked her.

"No, Savi. There's no need." She wiped away her tears. "I'll call the boys."

After a while, Cohen and Banks came in. I got up from the chair to make room for them and leaned against the windowsill.

The hours passed slowly.

In the late afternoon, Carmen and the boys left. They would come again the following day.

I snuggled into the chair next to Jayden and wrapped myself in a blanket. There was another bed at the other end of the room, but I wanted to be as close to him as possible.

I caressed his face. I kissed him on his forehead.

I prayed. I prayed so hard for him to get better.

Gradually, I drifted off into a doze. But not for long. I was constantly startled and waking up. The whole night went on like this: I opened my eyes to check on Jayden and then briefly closed them again.

In the morning, a whole team of doctors came to the room.

After about half an hour of watching and tracking the monitor readings, they confirmed that they had decreased the ventilator.

Another such procedure followed at noon and another in the afternoon.

During the day, many more people came to visit—Charlie and Max, Tyler, and many others. I could have sworn I heard Sophia's voice outside too, but luckily Carmen was there and probably refused to let her in.

Another day of monitoring Jayden's lungs passed. And the following morning was finally time for extubation.

"The patient is now breathing on his own," Jayden's attending doctor said as he approached me. "We've stopped the meds. Mr. Hill will wake up soon."

"Thank you, Doctor." I squeezed his hand. "He's going to be okay, right? Promise me he's going to be okay."

The doctor placed the palm of his other hand on top of mine. "Medically, there's no reason he shouldn't be fine."

After he left, Carmen and I hugged each other tightly.

"I told you. Our Jayden is a fighter!" she said, full of happiness.

For the first time in days, I felt myself smile.

Jayden's eyes were still closed, but the tube was gone. The machine was gone. And that was so comforting.

Now we had to wait.

After twelve hours, Jayden still wouldn't open his eyes.

Twenty-four hours— no change.

Thirty-six hours— nothing.

Forty-eight hours— nothing again.

I hadn't moved from his bed. I wanted to be there when he woke up. I wanted to be the one who would call the nurse, and then the doctor, to examine him and say that everything was fine.

But that wasn't happening, and I was beginning to lose my mind with worry.

"Savi! Savi! Calm down!" Carmen said to me as I began to pace restlessly.

"I can't, Carmen! The doctor said twelve hours. It's been forty-eight now!"

"The doctor said between twelve and seventy-two hours, Savi. Listen. Get out for a while. Get some fresh air. Walk around. Eat something."

"No."

"Please, Savi. You haven't moved from here for five days. When was the last time you ate something? You barely touched the food I brought you. Take a short walk, at least to clear your head. I'll be here. If Jayden wakes up during that time by any chance, I'll call you right away."

"I don't know, Carmen."

"Take a walk, Savi. You need it. Please! There's a coffee shop right outside the hospital entrance. They make excellent coffee there, unlike the one from the machines here."

"Okay." I ran my hands over my face. "I'll be there. If there's anything, call me right away."

"Of course."

I walked out of the hospital, grabbed a coffee from the coffee shop, and started walking around.

I walked. And I walked. I had no idea for how long.

As I passed the hospital entrance, I saw Carmen out front.

My stomach clenched.

"Savi! Quick! Jayden is waking up! Why didn't you take the phone with you? Come on! The doctor examined him."

For a moment, I felt reborn. It was as if life had returned to me.

But just as I was about to rush inside, something stopped me. The flames appeared before my eyes. The memory of the heat and smoke resurfaced. Jayden's body sprawled on the ground. It was as if I was transported back there for an instant.

"What did the doctor say, Carmen?" I asked without moving.

"Oh, come on, Savi! Come to see Jayden! His first word was Savi. Afterward, we can discuss what the doctor said."

"No, Carmen. Tell me now."

Carmen came to stand in front of me, narrowing her eyes. "Okay. The doctor said Jayden was fine. His reflexes are good. His condition is perfectly adequate. Usually, recovery takes anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, but he expects Jayden to be ready for discharge in a week."

"That's good," I said.

"Of course, it's good. But I expected some more enthusiasm from you. Savi, what's wrong with you?"

"I..." I turned my head back to the parking lot, looking around for my bike.

Carmen took a step towards me. "Why are you hesitating?"

I took a step back. "Carmen, please. Tell Jayden... Tell him I love him."

"What are you talking about, Savi? Don't walk away!"

I shook my head. "No. Don't tell him anything."

"Savi, don't do this." Carmen reached out to grab my hand, obviously sensing my intent, but I stepped back out of reach.

"I have to," I told her with tears in my eyes, realizing it was the right choice.

I was gathering the courage to do what I had to do— I had to leave.

"No."

"Please, Carmen!"

"If it's because of what Sophia said, forget it! Trust me. If there were even a drop of truth in that, I'd be the first person to blame you. But things are more complicated than that!"

"They're not. They're even very simple. Jayden could have died because of me, Carmen. That's the truth and not because Sophia says it. I won't let it happen again. It's over."

"Savi!"

"It's all over." I ran to the bike, blinking away my tears.

The engine completely drowned out Carmen's shouts, but I had already blocked everything around me anyway.

Clutch, first gear, release the clutch... Gas!

I started driving fast. When I reached the end of the town, I stopped for a while.

I looked towards Keith's Pub. Where it had all begun, it ended there now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 38K 66
52 CHAPTERS. (COMPLETED) Savannah Isabelle Romano is a 25 year old doctor who spent her entire life being abused emotionally, mentally and physically...
626K 24.5K 40
When Ph.D. candidate Scarlett is forced to play loving wife to her mentor's playboy son, the last thing she expects is to fall for the fantasy hersel...
25.1K 1.7K 33
Blake needs a date to his enemy's destination wedding. And not just anyone-a professional. The billionaire genius behind 215 Tech doesn't have time t...
5.1M 149K 56
*** This story is now FREE!!!*** After a traumatic breakup with her college sweetheart, Aria Davenport meets an older, more sexually experienced busi...