Never Without You │ BOTW mode...

By Finnclarkson

A relationship between an internationally praised athlete and a straight A student who hates any kind of atte... More

Quick Welcome Back!
Different
Your Fault
One More Day
Just the Two of Us
Broken
I Had So Many Reasons
Birthday Candles
Make a Wish
Tell Me Everything's Fine
Expelled
The Heart of Hyrule
Consequences
A One-Time Thing
Drunk
No Means No
Fool
I Do
You
A Good Day
Do It Again
Happiness
There's Nothing Wrong With Being a Virgin
A Dead Sparrow On The Pavement
Hey
Overthinking is a Waste of Time
Letting Go and Moving On
3F
Aryll
よろしくおねがいします
みらい
おやすみ
コンビニ
夏祭り
ルト
過去
新しい関係と古い傷跡
立ち呑みやま
祇園 小森
Hero
Good Person
Bad Person
Breaking Up
I haven't been honest about Ruto
All the Things that Hurt Us
Breath of the Wild
Mount Lanayru
Slumbering Power
Just Feel
Never Without You
While We Were Gone
Hyrule University vs. Karusa Valley
You and Me, No Lovers
A Smile on Revali's Sour Face
Kiroh
Taking a Shower
Can't Always Get What You Want
Homeless
Another Smiley Face on the Glass
Mía
Death Wish
Not Safe
Prison
Consent
Taking a Life
Already dead
Everything I Do is For Us
I'm Not Going Anywhere
If you could snap your fingers and make it all go away
Flowers and Chocolate
Bus Stop
Deku
I Vowed to Protect Your Daughter
We're Not Friends
Temptation
Nobody to Blame
Love Can Take Many Forms
Therapy
A Complex Puzzle
Lemonade
Shad
Bonfire
When She Gives Her Heart to Him, She Breaks My Heart in Two
The Crying of Lot 49
Eternal Riddler
Ramses
Game of Doors
Brothers
We Are Getting Married
Bumblebee
Tennis Ball
I Made Sure of That
Thanksgiving
Just For One Night
I Kissed You

宮本リンク

7.2K 143 501
By Finnclarkson

A loud swoosh wakes me!

Where am I?

What's going on?

Why am I on the floor?!

Japan–I'm in Japan. I aim my eyes at the source of the noise only to find a shocked little girl staring at Link and me.

"Onii-Chan!" She gasps at his bare torso and leaves her mouth hanging wide open.

It takes me a second to understand why she is so shocked! I quickly jump up, out of Link's arms. Now I really wish I could speak Japanese so I could explain that nothing happened between us last night!

"Asagohan!" she huffs before she shuts the door in an even louder swoosh and runs downstairs. Great, she'll probably tell her parents and her grandmother that she saw us sleeping together... without clothes. This is bad. Really bad.

"Sweetheart," I shake Link awake.

"Ohayou," he rubs his eyes and stretches himself. His hair is all tangled up in a cute mess.

A bright ray of sunshine is falling through the small gap in the curtains. I walk over to the window to pull them apart and let the sun flood the room with a warm light. Little dust particles dance through the air. Link immediately covers his eyes and falls back down onto the futon.

"Why!" He groans.

"Time to get up."

"I'm still tired though."

"How?! You slept the entire plane ride here and another 9 hours last night," I laugh.

"Traveling makes me tired okay? Jet lag and all that. I don't know. What's wrong with sleeping? It's healthy."

"Too much sleep is unhealthy," I tell him lightheartedly. "What did Aryll say to us?"

"What?"

"Asagohan. What does that mean?"

"Breakfast's ready."

"Oh." I walk over to him and kneel in front of him. "Could you tell her that nothing happened between us?"

"What?" He opens one eye to give me a confused look.

"Physically..."

"She's 8. I don't think that's where her mind went."

"Then why did she look so shocked?"

"I don't know? Was she shocked?"

"Shocked and angry. I don't think she likes me very much..."

"How could anyone not like you? You're kind, smart, and fun."

"Thank you, you're sweet. But I don't think she knows any of that, considering we don't speak the same language," I chuckle.

"Of course she knows."

"How could she possibly know?"

"I've told her."

"You have?"

"Of course." My heart melts and my brows dip in surprise. "She'll come around."

"Are you sure? I feel like I did something to offend her."

"What makes you say that?"

"She gives me mean looks. I thought she and I were going to get along but... I don't know... Maybe I'm overthinking it."

"Hm... she's usually really sweet and friendly even with strangers. I don't know why it would be any different with you. She's probably just annoyed that we took her room, which is my room, so she has no reason to pout."

"Mhm." Or she's jealous.

"Are you hungry?"

"A little bit."

"Let's eat then."

Link's father doesn't join us for breakfast. Apparently he left at 5 AM to take care of the horse that I have yet to see. I wonder if they have a second property, like a vacation home in the countryside.

Japanese breakfast is very different from American Breakfast... It looks more like dinner. They seem to eat rice with absolutely everything, at any time, for any occasion.

"Do you feel hungover?" Link asks me while we wash the dishes.

"No. I feel alright. I got a goodnight rest."

"See? The floor isn't that bad."

I do feel sore but I won't tell him that.

"Would you like to walk around a bit? Get some fresh air? Maybe grab some snacks from the store? I freaking miss Japanese snacks and drinks."

I just nod and smile at him. I love seeing him excited and content.

By noon, Link and I are dressed and ready to leave the house for a little adventure. He wants to show me his old high school and the route he used to take to get there every morning. He actually lives quite close to Kyoto University, but that's not where we're heading.

It's a long way to school for someone who doesn't have a car. First we have to walk ten minutes, then we have to take the train on top of it. At first I didn't like the idea of having to walk and take public transportation, but it's nothing like America's public transportation. It reminds me a bit of Europe; everything is clean and organized. And highly punctual. I notice that everyone here seems to prefer public transportation, even people with jobs. In America public transportation is seen as something only people who can't afford a car use. At least outside major cities.

People are more patient and kind here too. They wait for everyone to exit the train before getting on and a lot of people choose to stand even though there are seats available. They are all dressed nicely, wearing either suits or blazers. And it's super quiet. I like how formal, clean, and organized everything in Japan is.

More people are looking at Link today. I bet they are recognizing him but are polite enough to respect his privacy. One elderly lady gave him a sweet nod and commented something in Japanese when she got on the train. Link returned a smile and a nod. Apart from that, nobody has talked to him yet. A couple of girls in school uniforms were giggling quietly and whispering to each other as they were watching him from the distance. But they never approached him.

I look out of the window for the rest of the train ride to study the architecture, environment, and lifestyle of Kytoto's suburbs. We get off at a busy station closer to the center of the city. After another short walk, we make it to Horikawa High School! It's located on a busy street right next to the station.

"This is it," Link smiles at the memories he made here. We are standing outside the property, looking up at the tall building. It's enclosed by a gate and low stone walls, making it difficult to see more than trees and the tall green nets surrounding the sports courts.

"Would you like to go inside?" I ask him.

"We can't. We don't go here, so we can't just wander inside."

"Oh, I see."

"But yeah, this is where I went. You see the soccer fields over there? That's where I played. Also played baseball, tennis, and did a lot of fencing. Fencing was what I was most famous for until I was 16, that's when the national team became really good and people started to recognize me more for my soccer career than fencing."

"I love hearing about your life," I grin, trying to imagine a younger version of Link, attending this school, all dressed up in his black and white uniform. "You'll have to show me some pictures tonight."

"For sure, for sure. Oh, and I don't think I ever told you this, but I also performed for school events... samurai stuff. My dad has a sword, so I could show you when we get back home. I don't know if I'm still as good at it though. I haven't practiced in years."

"I'm sure you're still better than me," I laugh.

"What else do you want to see?"

"I don't know," I shrug my shoulders. "You're the tour guide. You'd know best what to show me."

"There's a park near-by that I used to go to with some of my classmates."

"It's hard to imagine you voluntarily doing stuff with other people, in public."

"I wasn't as famous back then. I didn't feel that much pressure... I hadn't disappointed Japan yet..."

"Hey, you never disappointed Japan, come on..."

"I did though. I left the team and let everyone down when I moved to America."

"Hey! No negative thoughts during this trip!" I warn and hook our arms. "Let's go to that park."

We take the bus and walk the rest. It's so humid and hot... I thought for sure Japan was going to be cooler than California but looking at the weather forecast on my phone, Kyoto's temperatures are actually higher than those back home.

The park we arrive at isn't very big, it seems popular though! Lots of people, especially elderly and high schoolers. I spot an empty bench in the shade of a tree and steer toward it.

Link comes to a sudden halt and when I turn around to see why he stopped walking, I can't help but smile at the two little boys clutching the hem of his t-shirt. They look up at him with huge eyes and mouths agape.

"Miyamoto-san!" One of them breathes heavily, staring up at Link in admiration. He must be a fan. Link looks down on him in silence. Typical. Why do kids love him even though he barely even reacts to them? Meanwhile I try to be nice to kids and they still hate me.

Both boys fall into a deep bow while one of them holds up a dirty, old soccer ball, begging Link for something in Japanese. Link returns a short nod and takes the soccer ball from them. Their eyes are glued to Link while he juggles the ball with his feet.

"Sugoi!" They both praise Link with a bright glimmer in their eyes.

This is adorable! I should take a video of Link performing some tricks for the boys.

"Oy!" A guy yells from a couple yards away. He's older than the two boys, probably a high school student. He calls over one of the boys and talks down on him in a harsh tone. When he looks over to us, his eyebrows twitch as he takes in Link's appearance. "Miyamoto Rinku?" He snarls in disbelief.

He walks over to us and crosses his arms when he stops only a few feet away. He reminds me of Revali when I first met him; arrogant and always looking down on people with his chin up high, chest puffy and rigid, and a keen sting in the glare of his eyes.

"Didn't you leave Japan?" the guy asks in English. Link doesn't answer. I step closer to him, feeling slightly uneasy and protective. "I asked you a question. I even asked in English in case you forget how to speak Japanese."

Link's body tenses. I study both their faces and recognize the rivalry that is hanging in the air. Should I say something? Or should I stay out of it?

"Oy!" The guy steps closer. "Why are you back? Heh?"

"Do you know him?" I ask Link but he shakes his head without taking his eyes off of the approaching arse, cautiously watching his every step.

"No? You don't recognize me? I was a second year when you graduated. I even joined the football team in your last year but I guess you only pay attention to..." His eyes shift to judge me now. "You're the girlfriend, right? I saw you on the news a few months ago."

"Yes," I answer quietly. I don't like him. He's looking for a fight, I can tell by the way he looks down on us.

His eyes move back to Link and an unexpected smile suddenly plays on his lips. "You should play football with us."

"We were about to leave," I say so Link doesn't have to.

"Come on. One quick game. 3 points. My little brother would love to see the famous football player in action."

The two boys hold their breaths in excitement, making it hard for Link to decline. He gives another faint nod then looks over his shoulder to meet my eyes.

"Is that okay?"

"Of course," I answer in a whisper. "If it's okay with you."

"I'll only be a minute," he says.

"No problem, take your time." He shouldn't have any problem beating a couple of arrogant high schoolers and elementary kids. I just hope he doesn't hurt himself. "I'll be watching from over here."

I take a seat on the bench as they walk over to the lawn. They split up into two equal teams of four players and begin the match. There aren't any markings on the lawn and no real goals either. They don't seem to be playing on time either.

It makes me smile to see Link run again. Thinking back to him in crutches, it really melts my heart to see how far he has come in just a couple of months. I have no doubt he will get back to where he used to be by the end of the year.

After a couple of minutes, Link's goalkeeper, a little kid, fails to hold the third ball and causes his team to lose. The high schooler is gloating and bragging about his victory. I roll my eyes at him from the distance and get up to walk over there.

"GG," Link mutters at the guy when I get there.

"Maybe I should join the national football team. I mean, if I can beat the famous Miyamoto, they would probably beg me to join their team."

Link balls his fists but doesn't take a swing. At least not yet. We should leave before it gets ugly. When he turns his back toward the guy to take a deep breath he notices me standing right in front of him. His eyes instantly soften.

"Let's go," he tells me, taking my hand to lead me away.

"Miyamoto-san!" The little boys call after Link right as we want to walk away from them. "Arigatou gozaimasu!" They thank Link with a bow that shows him the respect he deserves. I'm glad the little boy's personality isn't as rotten as that of his big brother.

We leave the area, now leisurely walking down the little park trail. I try to study Link's expression from the corner of my eyes. He doesn't appear too bothered by what just happened but he also doesn't look as happy as he was when we got to the park.

"It was nice of you to let them win," I attempt to cheer him up.

Sour, Link replies, "I didn't."

"Oh."

"I was–maybe I was holding back a little, you know, because I was nervous about hurting myself. But I didn't let them win on purpose. I would have let them win if I was in better shape but I actually did try to at least score some points. That was just embarrassing."

"For what it's worth, I think winning against you will forever be their favorite memory. Not in a hardy way, just in a wholesome, inspiring way. Those boys love you even more now."

"Mh... I just–I don't know–it kinda sucks that I can't play the way I used to."

"You'll get there, I'm sure of it."

"Easy for you to say."

"Hey, don't get sassy," I poke his waist, making him flinch. "Huh? I thought you said you're not ticklish!" I poke him again, finally getting a laugh out of him.

"Stop it!" he giggles when I attack him with both hands.

"There is that smile I love so much," I giggle along, feeling butterflies by the use of the L-word in his presence. I have to be careful not to spill my love for him at a random time and place like this. I want my first I love you to be absolutely perfect. I think Japan might be the right place but the moment has to be just right.

I take his hand into mine as we continue walking, happy to see him a bit more cheerful. Even though I can't know for sure what's going on in Link's head, I do understand where his feelings come from. I wish I could find the right words to take all his worries away from him.

"It's understandable... that you're nervous about hurting yourself. Just take it easy, there is no deadline for healing." He doesn't give me any reply. I'm sure he is disagreeing with me. I shouldn't persist. "By the way, will you be working for my father's company on the weekends?"

"No."

"Is there anything you'd like to do on the weekend then? We could go somewhere or do something."

"I was thinking we could go to the natsumatsuri," Link says, expecting me to know what that is. When he reads the state of confusion on my face, he explains, "It's a summer festival. I think you'd like it a lot. Some girls wear yukata, which is traditional clothing, and there's good food and stuff. It's fun."

"Would I be wearing traditional clothing? Or would that be... weird?"

"No you can totally wear that if you want to." Flustered, he aims his eyes the other way while scratching the back of his head. "That'd be cute."

"Are you going to dress up too?"

"Um, I mean, if you really want me to? But it's less common for guys to wear that."

"You don't have to," I smile at his flushed cheeks. "Sounds like fun. We should definitely do that."

"Okay, cool. Maybe the week after I can also take you to a temple if you want. I know you're into that stuff."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Well, I mean, you like to learn about things and are genuinely interested in the history and culture of things. Right? So I thought–"

"I'm just teasing, that actually sounds amazing," I laugh.

When we pass a colorful vending machine near the edge of the park, Link stops to buy two cans of soda. He hands me one and places the other one against his damp forehead.

"It's too hot," he sighs. "I like the sun but I don't like sweating."

"Then you chose the wrong career path, Mr. Athlete."

"That I did..."

He looks down at his feet. Is he getting sad again? Maybe I shouldn't have said that. He opens his soda and takes a couple of big gulps before his eyes return to mine. They hold no anger, nor any other specific emotion. At times like these I find it difficult to read him. I wish he'd just talk to me.

"Can I ask you something?" I want to change the topic and hopefully the mood as well.

"Mh," he nods.

"Where are your horse and dog? I've seen so many pictures but... They're not here, are they?"

"Oh, yeah they're not here. My uncle has property north of Japan, that's where Epona and Twilight live. That's where my dad works too."

"I see. That makes more sense."

"We could go there next weekend, I just figured you'd be more interested in Kyoto than agriculture. More stuff to do here."

"I'm interested in you," I smile. "Of course I'm interested in Japan as well, but I came here to be with you and learn more about your life. I know that you care a lot about your pets, so I think we should visit at least once while we're in Japan."

"You're sweet," he says and returns a smile. Looks like I successfully distracted him from his worries.

And yet...

Somehow I have a feeling that he is hiding a lot of pain behind that smile. Even when he speaks to me, he seems so quiet all of a sudden. I'm sure his mind is bustling with voices, I just can't hear them.

"It's too hot, let's start heading back," Link suggests, reinforcing my suspicion.

I simply nod and follow him to the train station, unsure what to say. I'm not good at small talk. I'd much rather talk about his feelings but I can't force it out of him. He has to want to talk to me, otherwise it'll feel more like a chore to him.

I try to think back to a time at which I felt like a failure. If I can find a way to relate to his feelings, maybe it'll be easier to comfort him. Not being good enough at sports or failing to get back to his former strength are worries Link has been dealing with ever since he recovered his memories.

Although I haven't had those exact worries, there was a moment last year at which I felt absolute despair... I failed to get a 100 at my astronomy exam and thought everything I had done up to that point was for nothing. Without thinking twice, Link abandoned his teammates to comfort me outside the stadium... He has always been there for me when I felt discouraged.

I want to have the same effect on him. I want to be able to comfort him the way he comforts me during troubled times. Am I a bad girlfriend for lacking the words? What can I do that I haven't tried before? Showing trust in his skill and believing in his recovery don't seem to cheer him up. What other words of encouragement can I offer him? Or should I just... support his mindset and agree with him? But what good will that do him?

............

Link's father doesn't join us for dinner. Apparently he is working late today. I try to interact with Link's mother and grandmother but it's difficult to join conversations in a different language... I can't even laugh along when everyone else is laughing. At least the food is good and I memorized the proper phrases that are said before and after consuming a meal.

After dinner, Link and I do the dishes in the tiny kitchen. His mother grabs a small, black box from the living room shelf and brings it over to the kitchen counter.

"Arigatou," Link smiles at her. She gives a friendly nod and returns to the living room.

"What's that?" I ask him curiously.

"Photographs."

"Photographs? Of what?"

"Me? Earlier you said you wanted to see me as a kid."

"Oh!" A vast grin unfolds on my face. I quickly wash and dry the last plate and place it on the drying rack. "Can we look at them right now?"

"Wow, somebody's eager."

"I haven't really seen any pictures of you as a kid," I justify my excitement. The only picture of kid Link I've seen was him by Mipha's side.

"If I show you me as a kid, you have to show a pic of you too."

"I don't know if I have one on my phone. I'll show you some when we get back to California. Now can we please look at the photos?"

"Sure," he chuckles and grabs the box from the counter.

We walk upstairs to his room, place the box on the bed, and take a seat next to each other. By removing the lid, Link reveals bundles of small printed photos. He picks up a random bundle and hands it to me to look at while he looks through the rest of the pictures. My heart melts away at the first sight of toddler Link! He's holding a soccer ball that is bigger than his head! So adorable!

The sun has set and the small lamp next to his bed doesn't give enough light for me to see what the next photo shows. I have to hold it very close to the lamp on the nightstand in order to make out teenage Link and tiny Aryll in their school uniforms. The next photo is of Link learning to ride a bike at a young age, oh, and picture after that is of him crying on the sidewalk after crashing his bike, and another photo shows his knees getting patched up with colorful band aids while he's licking a popsicle. Looks like he had a good childhood. I can't control my grin.

The next picture looks like it's from a similar age; he's taking a nap in public. Typical Link. The next photo is of Link and a puppy, both equal in size. His dog must be at least 17 years of age by now! The next picture is of Link in his diapers, covered in mud from playing outside.

"You were so cute as a little kid!"

"I'm not cute anymore?"

"You're even cuter now," I say with flushed cheeks.

The next couple of photos I pick up are all related to sports. Link is either holding a ball or a bat of some sort, a trophy, or wearing a jersey. No wonder he is so good at sports; you can't succeed without passion, and he has a lot of that. The last photo of my bundle is of him and his father doing push ups together. This must have been when he was around twelve.

"You have a strong bond with your father, don't you?" I ask, showing him the photo.

"That was when I was training for the soccer club. My dad would train with me every morning."

"At what age did you realize you fell in love with soccer?"

Link ponders for a quiet moment before he answers, "I don't think I ever loved soccer."

"Come again?"

His silence continues... He lowers the bundle of photos and bites down on his lip as his brows furrow in the realization of his missing passion.

"I liked it but I never loved it."

"Are you... serious?"

"I think so... I don't know."

"How is that possible? In these pictures you seem to enjoy it. A lot."

"When I started playing as a little kid, it was just a game to me. It was a fun way to kill time and I enjoyed being better than everyone else."
"What happened?"

"I think everything changed when I got offered to play for the club."

"When was that?"

"Around that time," he nods at the picture in my hand. "My dad sat down with me one night and explained that if I accept the offer, I can't just quit. It would be rude to let my team down. He told me all about the opportunities and benefits that would come with this but he never sugar-coated anything. He told me I might never get used to getting up at 5 am every morning to train or find it hard to stick to a special diet. He basically told me all the pros and cons, and then he asked me; do you want to do this... and I said yes."

Link takes the photo out of my hands to study the faded image.

"But instead of having me do it all alone, my dad would get up at 5 AM too, do the stretches with me. He would create a meal plan for the family, not just for me, and he'd get his friends from the military to train me to make me stronger. It was intense but it was my decision and I was going to stick with it. Because I made the decision to do it and pull through to the end. When I'm committed, giving up wasn't an option. I guess that ruined the fun of it. It wasn't just a game anymore, it became my job and every loss was a harsh reminder of my duties to my team and fans."

I don't know how to feel about this... His father seems like a kind man and I love that he supported his son while actively participating in his career path, but... I almost feel like it's his fault that Link puts so much pressure on himself.

"Zelda..." Link looks up at me, looking nervous and a tad muddled. He takes a deep breath and lowers his eyes as he speaks in a quiet voice. "I don't think I want to be an athlete anymore..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.7K 814 21
Five years ago, mermaids were discovered to actually exist, but the world's response was to hunt them down for their beautiful, unusual scales and cr...
29.9K 686 31
In this story of teenage love, angst, family troubles, cliffhangers and dramatic moments, Adrien figures out his father is Hawkmoth, he gets into an...
2K 102 15
When one small thing changes, it can have a big impact. Set in the middle of Season 5 ***Contains major spoilers***
32.2K 629 14
This is a fruits basket love story. I hope u enjoy...it took me ages to write it.