๐†๐จ๐ง๐ž ๐ข๐ง ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐Œ๐จ๐ซ๐ง...

By heavens_moonlight

[ ๐‹๐ž๐ž ๐’๐ฎ-๐‡๐ฒ๐ž๐จ๐ค ๐ฑ ๐…๐ž๐ฆ ๐‘๐ž๐š๐๐ž๐ซ ] โ๐’€๐’†๐’”๐’•๐’†๐’“๐’…๐’‚๐’š ๐’Š๐’” ๐’ˆ๐’๐’๐’†, ๐’•๐’๐’Ž๐’๐’“๐’“๐’๐’˜ ๐’Š๐’” ๐’‚... More

๐…๐จ๐ซ๐ž๐ฐ๐จ๐ซ๐ & ๐‚๐ก๐š๐ซ๐š๐œ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ๐ฌ
๐ŸŽ | ๐€๐›๐ž๐ง๐๐ซ๐จ๐ญ
๐Ÿ | ๐๐ซ๐จ๐ง๐ญ๐ข๐๐ž
๐Ÿ | ๐‚๐ก๐ซ๐ฒ๐ฌ๐š๐ฅ๐ข๐ฌ๐ฆ
๐Ÿ‘ | ๐ƒ๐ž๐ฌ๐ข๐๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐ฎ๐ฆ
๐Ÿ’ | ๐„๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ฒ๐ซ๐ž๐š๐ฅ
๐Ÿ“ | ๐…๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ฆ๐ข๐ง๐š๐ญ๐ž
๐Ÿ” | ๐†๐ฅ๐จ๐š๐ฆ๐ข๐ง๐ 
๐Ÿ• | ๐‡๐ž๐š๐ฏ๐ž๐ง๐ข๐ณ๐ž
๐Ÿ– | ๐ˆ๐ง๐ž๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐š๐›๐ฅ๐ž
๐Ÿ— | ๐Š๐š๐ฅ๐จ๐ฉ๐ฌ๐ข๐š
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ | ๐‹๐š๐ฆ๐›๐ž๐ง๐ญ
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ | ๐Œ๐ž๐ฅ๐ข๐จ๐ซ๐ข๐ฌ๐ฆ
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ | ๐๐ฎ๐›๐ข๐ฏ๐š๐ ๐ง๐š๐ง๐ญ
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘ | ๐Ž๐ง๐ž๐ข๐ซ๐จ๐๐ฒ๐ง๐ข๐š
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ’ | ๐๐จ๐ซ๐ฉ๐ก๐ฒ๐ซ๐จ๐ฎ๐ฌ
๐€๐Ÿ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ๐ฐ๐จ๐ซ๐ & ๐’๐ž๐ช๐ฎ๐ž๐ฅ

๐Ÿ๐Ÿ“ | ๐๐ฎ๐ข๐๐๐ข๐ญ๐ฒ

6.9K 234 63
By heavens_moonlight

𝒒𝒖𝒊𝒅𝒅𝒊𝒕𝒚 - 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈
┈┈┈┈┈𖥸┈┈┈┈┈

[ 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐋𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫 ]

"Although it has been several months since the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency's early failure at identifying what's now dubbed the "Zombie Virus," no further findings have been established, calling into question the extent of progress. As it is impossible to ascertain incubation period, the organization opposed ending the quarantine of Hyosan residents. All across the nation, donations are pouring in, in support of those who have been living in seclusion all this time..."

The announcement resonates through overhead speakers as you follow On-Jo outside, shadowing her steps to the sound of gravel crunching beneath your boots.

On-Jo stuffs her hands in her thick jacket pockets and stares wistfully at the refuge's chain-linked fence, strewn with satin and silk ribbons where words of remembrance are etched onto its surface. A few months ago, you had tied up four in row, one for I-Sak, Gyeong-Su, Nam-Ra, and another for Cheong-San, but they have long since been swallowed up by other additions on the daily.

Breathing out on a long sigh, a puff of air suspends in front of On-Jo for a few seconds, before it too, disappears like the sudden cold breeze that brushes past.

When did winter arrive without your noticing?

"I'm going to take a little stroll around," On-Jo says, turning to you. Extending her hand, she opens her palm up and inside rests a dark red ribbon.

Cheong-San's favorite color.

You smile faintly and nod in understanding as she closes her fingers delicately around the satiny fabric, eventually leaving to make her way to the overcrowded barrier.

Diverted, you watch as Mi-Jin stands with a sign hanging proudly over her neck. Peeking, you try to view the lines of text from your perpendicular position to it: High school seniors who suffered the ZOMBIE attack must be given special admissions into colleges.

A middle aged woman ambles up to Mi-Jin amidst some very odd background stares at the blunt plea and pats her on the shoulder. "Aigoo," she drawls out. "My daughter is a senior too." You hold back your laughter as she pats Mi-Jin on the cheek, whose face immediately scrunches up in distaste. "You poor, poor thing."

In Mi-Jin like fashion, she cusses and kicks the ground before shuffling away in the other direction, causing you to giggle, shaking your head at the scene.

Aimlessly, you walk around, finding the grounds teeming with more evacuees than you initially thought. Despite so many people, there was only one person you wanted to see.

Finally catching sight of Su-Hyeok, you soften your steps and stop right by his side. Unaware, he has his eyes closed, face turned up towards the sky as he leans against an unoccupied mounted tent.

It's rare for the weather to be anything more than cloudy now that it's nearing the winter solstice, the sunshine a precious commodity.

You bask in the light, a sign of hope for the people who couldn't wait to escape the darkness altogether.

Fondly, you observe as the morning sunbeam falls on Su-Hyeok's face and you think maybe, just maybe, you're a little bit in love with him.

"Su-Hyeok."

His eyes sluggishly flutter open against the sudden onslaught of light, and he raises one hand up to shield against it, craning toward the voice calling out to him, squinting in focus.

When Su-Hyeok's gaze lands on you, a grin spreads across his face, uncontrollable. He stretches out a hand toward you and pulls you down, making space next to him. He sits as close as possible even though there's space to spare.

"Where have you been? I couldn't find you all morning."

"I was with On-Jo, but nowadays, I can only seem to bring myself to either see you or her. I want to approach the rest, but I couldn't. In case it would remind me..."

You lay your head on his shoulder and he rests his own atop yours softly. "Can you forget if you do so?"

Exhaling, you shut your eyes and shift ever closer. "It'd be great if we had a reset button," you murmur regretfully. "I'd like to forget all this ever happened. If only I could, I'd like to forget everything."

"Even me?"

You straighten your head, lifting it from the crook of Su-Hyeok's shoulder line and look up, Hyeok, thinking he's simply joking, but his eyes remain fixated on your face, taking in its every feature tenderly.

"How could I ever want to forget you?"

He draws you in toward him by the back of your head and places a featherlight kiss on your forehead.

"Good," he teases. "I was starting to think you wanted to replace me."

You laugh, the sound released airy and light for the first time in a long time. "Is that what worries you?"

"Sometimes, but then I remember you're stuck with me forever."

You knock your shoulder into his chest playfully. "Keep dreaming."

"Maybe I will," he whispers longingly, and with the sun shining brilliantly above you, suddenly there's a warmth there that can't be contained.

"You know," you begin a bit later. "After having snuck out with On-Jo past curfew last night and seeing a flickering glow in the distance, I think someone lit a fire on the school's rooftop."

"The rooftop? Are you sure?"

"I may be mistaken, but there's a plaguing sensation that won't let me ignore it. Nam-Ra did say that we should light a campfire if we miss one another. On-Jo also plans on returning, tonight."

"I'll go with you," Su-Hyeok declares quickly, almost afraid you would reject the idea.

"I know you will." You smile to yourself. "Just...don't let the others catch on. It could be dangerous, and I'd rather not burden them more. Let's go by ourselves."

You feel Su-Hyeok bobbing his head in agreement against yours. "I won't tell a soul."

"Does this feel like a happy ending for all of us?" you voice out, curious. "For you?"

Su-Hyeok laces your fingers together, hand completely engulfing yours. "I can't speak for the rest of us, but it's clear, for me."

"What is?"

"You're my happy ending."

»»————-————-««

When night falls, you walk hand in hand with Su-Hyeok to meet up with On-Jo behind the facility. He stuffs your joined hands inside one of his pockets and your heart melts at the sweet gesture.

On the last step however, you're pulled out of your reverie as you look up, only to be met with the faces of the entire group.

On-Jo stares at you with a cute scowl, attempting to appear angry, arms crossed over her chest. It only serves to makes her look smaller and every bit less intimidating, all bundled up in heavy winter clothes, but she'd probably kill you if you voiced that out loud.

"I told you not to tell anyone."

You turn to Su-Hyeok and whack him on the chest. "You agreed on keeping it a secret."

Su-Hyeok turns to Dae-Su, sheepishly avoiding both yours and On-Jo's glares. "Yah, what did I tell you?!"

You cluck your tongue and Dae-Su whips his head toward Ha-Ri. "Noona, I said this matter was between us."

Ha-Ri shakes her head fervently, jutting a finger toward Mi-Jin who was currently sitting spread eagle and smoking. "This one said she'd report to the cops if we didn't take her. It's dangerous to let her loose."

On-Jo snorts incredulously and you look on in disbelief.

How did you all manage to get out alive?

Chucking the cigarette butt to the ground, Mi-Jin snuffs it out with the toe of her shoe. "Fuck who told who. I want to do something reckless rather than wasting away here. They won't grant me special admission anyhow."

"How is that remotely related to this?" Dae-Su asks, entirely confused. "We'll be locked up for disobeying orders if we get caught and there goes any chances you have at special admissions."

"I'd rather go to jail if I can't get into college. At least I'll be fed and given a place to sleep in," Mi-Jin grumbles. Noticing how everyone's at a loss for words on how to reply, she waves it off indifferently, unable to stand the silence. "What, are we going to stand here and gawk at each other all night, or...?"

"You're seriously going? All of you?" you question disbelievingly.

"Even you three also?" On-Jo adds in, eyeing Wu-Jin, Joon-Yeong, and Hyo-Ryung to the side.

"You kiddos aren't the only ones who feel indebted. We're all tormented inside, much like you. Being alone doesn't lessen the survivor's guilt or make these after-thoughts hurt any less."

The words sink in and you glance to meet eyes with On-Jo, who concedes lightly with a nod.

One by one, you all scale the wall and travel back on the winding path through the woods, helpless against feelings of déjà vu, the memory of running past here before to get away.

Now you're taking steps back toward it.

Ha-Ri taps you on the shoulder and points to the distance. "I see a light. Do you?"

It's hard to see in the dark, everything vague and seemingly an illusion.

"Where?" Hyo-Ryung steps forward, peering every which way to get a glimpse.

Ha-Ri scoots both you and Hyo-Ryung a smidge closer to the edge of the hill, gesturing once more. "Right...there."

"Oh!" Hyo-Ryung exclaims. "That really is our school."

You all descend the hill in succession and make it to the abandoned construction zone in no time at all, wandering through cautiously, relying on minimal cones of light.

On-Jo has her father's black flashlight gripped securely in hand, pausing often to shine at the floor, seemingly looking for something.

Out of all the flashlights, hers shine the brightest in the dark.

"Woah, it's a total wreck in here," Wu-Jin quips, considering the damage.

"Tell me about it," Joon-Yeong supplies, pushing his glasses further up the bridge of his nose.

"On-Jo," you call out, and she snaps out of her trance, gazing your way. "We should continue on."

She walks side by side with you as you all climb the surprisingly intact steps. "I don't know why, but my instincts tell me it's Nam-Ra."

"I hope it's Nam-Ra," you reply, pushing the rooftop door outward.

It opens easily.

Everyone scatters around explore what's left of the rooftop, and you lean forward over the ledge, this time checking to make sure Gwi-Nam wouldn't emerge unexpectedly from the shadows.

When you pivot back around, Wu-Jin's appearance makes you jump, and you hold a hand over your chest.

"Sorry!" His eyes widen in alarm. "I didn't mean to scare you."

You shake your hands in front of you, refuting. "No, it's okay, I was too lost in my own thoughts."

He shuffles his feet restlessly, and as you're about to ask, he speaks up.

"I know this is probably abrupt but when have our conversations been otherwise?" You listen intently as he plows on. "I would've liked to keep my emotions to myself, but since it was revealed by accident..." Wu-Jin verbalizes in a rush of words as he inhales before speaking again. "...I'll say what I need to say. Just...thank you for being my hope through this journey, even if I wasn't yours. As for my feelings...I'll take care of them." He breathes out shakily as he extends his hand out to you. You mirror the movement, placing your hand in his unhesitatingly. "I hope we can still remain good friends."

Your smile is sincere, and so is his. "After all we've been through together, we'll always be great friends to the end. I'm touched you reserved such good feelings for me, Wu-Jin." You give his hand a final squeeze and he lingers for a second before letting go.

"Maybe in another life."

With one last genuine smile, he walks away, and you take notice of how his steps are lighter leaving than when they advanced.

You turn to your left to see On-Jo unmoving, eyes set intently on the night sky above, moon on high.

She does acknowledge your presence when you stand beside her, but doesn't take her eyes off the heavens.

Contemplating along with her, even as light snow falls around the edges of your face, and starlight shines on the rims of your eyes, you don't mind the feeling.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Cheong-San," On-Jo answers honestly, hands placed on the ledge's surface. "For some reason, even more so tonight than usual."

"I'm sure he misses you too," you respond, with all the conviction in the world.

"We have everything in the end, just not each other."

You close your eyes against a snowflake, and it lands on your eyelid before thawing swiftly.

"But maybe you do."

"How so?"

"He'll always be with you in your heart, and when you think of him, I'm sure he knows exactly how much you miss him."

On-Jo raises a pointer finger upward at a twinkling light in the star field, almost as though she can touch it if she reaches forward. "Cheong-San, tonight the North Star shines a little brighter, and I know it's you guiding me toward a day where we'll meet again."

Right as she finishes sending off her message, a shooting star sails across, reflecting off your eyes, and you both make a silent wish before the group gathers together again.

Snow is scattering endlessly now, cold air seeping into your bones, but still, the fire burns strongly in the middle.

Despite the wind, the flames flicker steadily, much like a heartbeat.

"Who do you think came here to do this?" Hyo-Ryung sweeps her gaze back and forth across the rooftop, finding it completely empty.

"Maybe...." Dae-Su starts as he scratches his head in thought. "Maybe there are others who came back here like us."

"I'm willing to bet it was Nam-Ra," you throw in, gazing into the fire. "She sent this signal because she wishes to see us."

"How do you know that?" Hyo-Ryung inquires calmly.

"I don't, but I think I do."

"You always know."

Nam-Ra.

You whip around and run straight for her. "You really made it, just as you promised."

"Prez..." Dae-Su greets from the back, emotional.

Nam-Ra's lips lift upward slightly. "Am I still the classroom president even now?"

On-Jo steps up next to you. "Are you okay? How have you been?"

Nam-Ra scans everyone's faces and grins brighter. "I've thought about you all a lot, and wanted to see you so bad, but I didn't think I should. Even if I miss you dearly."

You grab her arm gently. "No, it's great that you're here now. You can come with us."

She doesn't brush you off, but her word alone is as much a refusal as anything. "I have things to attend to here that I can't yet leave behind."

"Like what?" On-Jo watches Nam-Ra keenly. "More important than staying with us?"

"A lot of things," Nam-Ra replies vaguely, but she looks at you and expands on her words. "There are a few more similar in nature to me. Some fled outside of the school, but the rest remained."

You concentrate on her face as she talks. Though there are obvious small scars and her now extremely pale complexion cold to the touch, she's smiling and looking so much happier than you've ever seen her.

"You're not a zombie. Don't say it like that."

"You know how students are not children but not yet adults either? I'm like that. I'm neither human nor a monster—suspended somewhere in between two worlds of existence."

"That's not true at all, Nam-Ra." You clutch both her hands, freezing in your own warm ones. "It's okay for you to stay. You belong here, with us."

Nam-Ra holds on tightly before releasing your hands softly. "We're friends even if we're not together, right?" No one confirms, clearly disillusioned by her impending departure, and she tilts her head to the side, somewhat forlorn. "No?"

"Yes," On-Jo concedes. "You're right. Wherever we may be, we're friends all the same."

"Then, that's good—good enough for me." Suddenly, Nam-Ra swivels her head to the side, growing serious. "I need to go." She turns back to you with tears in her eyes and hugs you tightly, whispering so only you can hear. "Nothing is over. We will be back to see you."

Your arms drop in confusion as she hesitates to release her arms from around you. "We?"

Nam-Ra beams cryptically prior to leaping off the roof, landing safely back on the ground.

Dashing over to the roof's end wedged between On-Jo and Su-Hyeok, you observe as Nam-Ra waves goodbye, moving to nudge someone dressed in all black; as black as the night sky, hood lowered and covering the top of their face.

You can hear On-Jo's sharp intake of air from your left as you both peer down at the mysterious figure.

Regardless of the intentional cover, the moment they sneak a peek over their shoulder, head partially turned, you'd recognize that half-smile anywhere.

What leaves you next on an exhale is barely two syllables.

"Cheong-San..."

*✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚: *✧・゚

[ End Note ]

This is by far the longest author's note I have on here, but I just wanted to thank everyone for reading, commenting, liking, and supporting, especially those who have stuck around since the beginning! I hope you all enjoyed reading it as much as I've enjoyed writing it! When I decided to start this story, it was purely for fun and if I have to be honest, more self-indulgent than anything. Never did I expect for it to gain attention, so I'm beyond grateful, and this story will always hold a special place in my heart. For those who asked whether I would be writing a S2, the last line of this chapter is why I started this series in the first place. Before anything else like added scenes or dialogue, I already had the ending in mind...For now, I'll still be writing oneshots, but updates won't be as frequent anymore. Still, stay tuned for future works! I think that's everything, so once again, thank you, and I'll see you all in season two!

*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.7K 3.4K 18
"ษชแด›'s sแด ส™แด‡แด€แดœแด›ษชา“แดœสŸ, แด›สœแด‡ สœแด‡สŸสŸ แด›สœแด€แด› แดกแด‡ ส™แดแด›สœ แดแด€แด…แด‡ า“แดส€ แด‡แด€แด„สœ แดแด›สœแด‡ส€." ษชษด แดกสœษชแด„สœ ษชแด สแดสœแด€ษด, แด›สœแด‡ แดแดœแด›แด„แด€sแด› แดา“ แด„สŸแด€ss ๐Ÿธ-๐Ÿป, แด›ส€ษชแด‡s สœษชs ส™แด‡sแด› แด›แด ษดแดแด› sแดœแด„แด„แดœแดส™ แด›แด สœษชs แด…...
81.6K 3.9K 30
โ ๐“๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐ข๐ฌ ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ ๐ฐ๐จ๐ซ๐ค, ๐ฌ๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ. ๐“๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ฐ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ฐ๐ž'๐ซ๐ž ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ฉ๐ฉ๐จ๐ฌ๐ž๐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐๐จ โž ๐—ฃ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ธ ๐—–๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ด-๐—บ๐—ถ๐—ป said with a s...
53.3K 1.6K 31
Lee Su-hyeok x fem reader Choi Nam-ra x male oc โ€žHappy birthday Y/N! Here is your gift. I know it's not expensive, but it is very meaningful to me."...
81 2 5
[This has been collecting dust so I'm publishing this now] Hak Ji-Ho was just a normal student of Hyosan High School when all of a sudden a virus com...