The Vampire Prince graduates...

By Mama_Kas

After surviving an assassination attempt, Alexander and Rin are adjusting to every day life. Not only is grad... More

Q&A
Development Project
For the Future
Career Exams
Promises
Invitation
Family Talk
Dinner
Confessions
A Whole New World
Senior Year
Orientation
Convenient
Quiet Moment
Unexpected
Second Breakfast
Theory
Letting the Cat out of the Bag
Internship
AU - Hot Chocolate at the park
Debts
Insecure
Back-Up Plan
My Brain Hurts
P.I.
Cooperation
Ice-cream Break
Let Me Hold Your Papers
Auction (Part 1)
Auction (Part 2)
Reply
The Truth
Building Bridges
Brownies make good breakfast
Digging for Information
Pep talk
Moving Forward
Insight
It Happened
Remain Calm
Lady Hargrave
Trust
Inside Job
Resurfaced
Not a Promise
Breach
In your Arms
Around the dinner table
Camellia
Roommates
Ambush
Henry
Betrayed
Call Him
Exercise Caution
Sold
I Know
Gifts
Unwrapping
Traditions
Plans
What's the Rush?
A Traitor Among Us
Hacked
The Final Countdown
Love, Strength, and Trust
Well Wishes
To the Future
Times are Changing
Riot
We're Everywhere
Captured
Pawn
Exchange
Exposed
Escape
Rescued
The Truth Revealed
Sleeping Beauty
A Cure
Immobilized
Awakened
Princess
Loyalty
Graduation
Epilogue

Served

418 34 3
By Mama_Kas

I didn't hear any of the auction until the anvil hit the podium. I flinched at the sound. Lady Hargrave took my hand and patted it.

"It's such a successful auction," she said. "Aren't you glad it's going well? Unnecessary drama doesn't have a place here."

My eyes stung.

"If you'll excuse me," I began.

Her grip tightened. "We're not done yet," she said.

I blinked rapidly under the bright lights. I glanced at the stage exit. Alexander was nowhere in sight. He said he would be here. We should have been attending together.

Lady Hargrave's grip was cold and felt like a shackle. I couldn't move my hand away.

I cleared my way. "Lady Hargrave," I croaked. "It seems I need a restroom break. Please excuse me."

For a moment, I thought she wouldn't let me go. However, she smiled and released me.

"Of course, take as long as you'd like."

Smiling, I stood, curtsied, and walked off the stage. I immediately found the restroom and shut myself in there. My chin trembled. I shook my head. Nope, I couldn't do that. I shouldn't do that.

Instead, I dabbed my eyes, trying not to smear my makeup.

"It's okay," I said aloud. "Don't cry. It's not like she rejected your relationship with her in front of many elite people who will spread it to everyone they know."

Oh, wait. She had done that.

"It's for charity," I whispered.

If she didn't like me, why go through all this trouble? Was it because Alexander had been there? If Alexander had been here, would she not have sold the brooch? It was hard to tell. It seemed like it had been part of the original plan, to begin with.

A sharp knock came from the door. "Miss Borek," said the bodyguard. "The last section is about to start."

How long had I been in the restroom? "I need a few more minutes," I called out.

I looked at myself in the mirror. While I hadn't cried exactly, my eyes were bloodshot read. I dabbed my eyes some more, but it wasn't helping. I couldn't go out like this.

Taking my phone out of my pocket, I texted Diana. First, I needed eye drops, and second, she needed to find an excuse to get me out of there. And lastly, to find out where Alexander was.

A few moments later, Diana texted me back. 'Give me ten minutes.'

The guard outside the restroom knocked again. I didn't give him a chance to speak.

"Summon my attendant," I called out. "I've had a little mishap with my dress."

Ten minutes later, Diana walked into the restroom.

"Rin," she said, hurrying to my side. "What happened?"

I shook my head. "Do you have the eye drops?"

With her help, I squeezed a few drops into my eyes. Hopefully, the redness would be gone soon.

"Have you heard anything about His Highness?" I asked.

"No. I left messages but am still waiting for someone to get back to me. And there's no other engagement that needs your presence."

Tiredly, I leaned against the wall. Could I go back to the auction room in this condition? Would Lady Hargrave allow me to leave?

"Miss Borek," the guard called out. "You're needed in the auction room."

"Be right out."

"Let's touch up your make-up," Diana said.

She gave me ten more minutes of staying in the restroom. It didn't help much. I couldn't stop shaking.

"I'm ready," I said.

"Are you sure? Let's go back to the room and rest. You look pale."

I glanced at myself in the mirror. She wasn't wrong.

"Okay," I said.

When I stepped out of the restroom, the bodyguard waited for me.

"Let Lady Hargrave know; I'm resting in my room," I told him. "I'll attend the banquet when it starts."

Without waiting for a reply, I returned to my room; Diana walked behind me.

Once in my room, I lay on a couch and used my arm as a pillow. I didn't remember falling asleep. All I remembered was Diana waking me up what felt like five minutes later.

"It's almost time for the banquet," she said. "Let's get you into another dress."

Sleepily, I nodded.

The next gown was a black, sweetheart neck, tea-length dress. Diana readjusted my hair to fit the new dress. I had to change my jewelry and shoes as well.

I wanted this day to be over. It had already started when I made it to the banquet hall. Guests sat at their tables, meals in front of them. I glanced around the room. Lady Hargrave was at the main table area. There were other guests I didn't recognize. I couldn't see Alexander. Was he here? Why had he replied to the messages I'd left him? He promised to be here.

I let a couple walk in before I followed after them. If I was lucky, I could make it to the main table without anyone noticing me.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," Lady Hargrave suddenly said through the microphone. "I'd like to extend my gratitude to each and every one of you for making this night a very successful one. I'm honored so many answered my invitation.

As you all know, I've been away from the social circle for too long and didn't think anyone remembered me."

There were a few chuckles.

"Due to your support, we can continue to make a difference in research and quality of life. But I don't want to take up too much of your time. I want to make an announcement to end this marvelous event on a high note."

"As you all know, His Highness, the Crown Prince Rothchester has recently become engaged."

I froze. Where was she going with this? A murmur spread throughout the room. My face grew hot.

"You must have heard about her before, but I wanted to make a small, unofficial announcement to close friends and acquaintances."

Small? This event was not small.

"Luckily, she is here tonight-"

No, please, no. Not like this.

I glanced at the door. I was too far away. If I ran, they'd noticed.

"Please welcome Miss Rin Elizabeth Borek to the family."

A bright light shone on me. I froze, wide-eyed. 

I looked at Lady Hargrave. She smiled sweetly and beckoned me over.

"Don't be shy, dear."

My chin trembled. I found myself walking to her. The guests looked at me, but I refused to pay attention to their expressions. If I did, I would run away.

When I reached Lady Hargrave, she grabbed my arm. I felt weak against her. Her fingers tightened around my arm.

"Now, don't give her too much trouble," Lady Hargrave said. "While she is a human, she has everyone's best interests at heart. Otherwise, how else would Crown Prince Rothchester choose her from all the other fabulous and potential life partners."

No one smiled.

No one laughed.

"Ah, here's my son now."

I looked at the door and saw Alexander. He was finally here. The happiness I usually felt when seeing him was absent. All I felt was a cold numbness in my chest.

Alexander walked to the main table. Had he heard what she'd said?

"Please enjoy the rest of your dinner," Lady Hargrave said.

Once Alexander got closer, she released me and walked toward him. She hugged him, and they posed for pictures.

"Seems like I'm late," Alexander began.

"Don't be silly. You're far too busy to be here the whole time. I changed the time on your invitation so you'd have enough time to finish your work."

Shivering, I turned to them. She had changed the time on his invitation. She had purposely kept him away tonight so she could execute this whole performance.

Not only had she sold the brooch I had made for her, but she also announced my relationship with Alexander without asking or even telling me about it. Any preparation we'd made for the announcement ceremony was gone. I wouldn't be surprised if there were headlines tomorrow.

She had no right to take that away.

"Rin," Alexander said.

Smiling, he took me in his arms.

"You look beautiful," he said, kissing my cheek.

After he kissed me, I turned away.

"Did you see my messages?" I asked.

"No, sorry. I didn't have my phone." He checked his pockets. "I must have forgotten it in the car."

"You forgot it," I echoed.

"Yes. Sorry."

"Alexander, dear," Lady Hargrave said. "Come and greet a few of the guests. They've been waiting for you all night."

"Rin," he began.

"Don't worry about her. She needs some rest. Come along."

I didn't wait for him to leave. Instead, I walked away from them.

Throwing a tantrum or crying wouldn't solve anything. Lady Hargrave had completely won this round. There was nothing I could have done. She had every under her control. I was dressed and served on a silver platter. If I wasn't sure before, I was definitely sure now.

Lady Hargrave wanted me out of the picture. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 195 30
Eleanor is 18 years old and is the crown princess and her parents chose the prince of England called Alexander the second but the day they were gonn...
408K 23.2K 59
Sequel to The Vampire Prince goes to High School. It's been a few months since Rin and Alexander have dealt with Micah. Their contract is behind the...
347K 13.4K 35
This story is the sequel to my previous story "King of the Vamps". It would be beneficial to read that story first as you will be introduced to some...
188K 6.4K 41
Faith was happy with her life. She had a clear plan, and always knew what her next move was going to be. But then a terrible tragedy wiped out half h...