Wild

By stephduchess

Storm has always been in love with Makai, so he's happy when they turn out to be mates, only to be devastated... More

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Storm
Chapter 2 - Mixed Feelings
Chapter 3 - Aris
Chapter 4 - Flashback
Chapter 5 - Lessons
Chapter 6 - Twists and Mate
Chapter 7 - Poisoned
Chapter 8 - Destined Mates
Chapter 9 - The Protectors of the Moon
Chapter 10 - Fear of Rejection
Chapter 11 - Hope & Progress
Chapter 12 - Taking a Chance
Chapter 13 - First Date
Chapter 14 - Fighting for Him
Chapter 15 - Kidnapped
Chapter 16 - Back to Square One
Chapter 16.5 - Bonus (Makai Makes a friend)
Chapter 17 - Heated Past
Chapter 18 - Double Dose of Love
Chapter 19 - New Orleans
Chapter 20 - Storm's Pain
Chapter 21 - Marked
Chapter 22 - Pleasure
Chapter 23 - Clues and Games
Chapter 24 - Back Home
Chapter 25 - Full Moon
Chapter 26 - After Dark
Chapter 27 - Sated Desire
Chapter 28 - Roses and Pillow Talk
Chapter 29 - Endless Plays
Chapter 30 - Joker's Arch
Chapter 31 - Ring with Chaos
Chapter 33 - Trouble In Paradise
Chapter 34 - Done
Chapter 35 - Angel
Chapter 36 - Dilemma
Chapter 37 - Callum
Chapter 38 - Dangerous Revelations
Chapter 39 - In His Arms Again
Recap before Update
Chapter 40 - Coming Together
Chapter 41 - Unexpected Answers
Chapter 42- Mixed Blessings
Chapter 43 - Crayai
Chapter 44 - Beyond Understanding
Chapter 45 - Isha

Chapter 32 - Thickening Plot

43 5 0
By stephduchess

Storm

When I leave our room, I am so upset that after getting into the elevator, I forget to press the button for the ground floor and stay stewing as other people get on and off, taking me back to the 8th floor before I remember to input the ground floor.

I understand why Makai doesn't trust Callum, but he also needs to understand that I am not about to throw Callum under the bus because of his suspicions. He thinks I'm just blindly trusting Cal, but it is more than that. Cal and I are connected in a way that is difficult to explain to other people. It is not romantic as Makai thinks, far from that. I just wish Callum would come clean with everything he knows so that Kai would get off his back.

I finally get off the ground floor and make my way to the bar, missing my mate but still upset with him. When I get in, I scan the busy bar that has most of the tables filled with drinking patrons. I make a beeline for an empty table at the back but change my mind when I notice the rowdy group next to it.

"Hey, Gorgeous! Why don't you join us here? We've got lots of drinks."

Not in the mood to decline politely, I ignore the call and scan for another empty seat.

"Storm?" Turning around at my name, I smile when I see Justin, Quinn's friend, and the alpha of the biggest pack in New Orleans, waving.

"Where is your brother?" he asks when I take the empty seat across from him, looking around for Quinn.

I chuckle. "I'm a full-grown adult you know. I don't always have my big brother with me. I can go out by myself and everything."

He laughs, his movie-star handsome features becoming even more gorgeous. Justin is a mixed race of 6ft 3 with dark brown eyes and curly hair gorgeousness.

"Touché. So are you in Las Vegas by yourself?"

"Nope. I'm here with my mate," I tell him.

He smiles. "Oh yes, Quinn mentioned that you had found your mate. Congratulations, Storm."

Despite the fight with Kai, I can't help the flush of pleasure that climbs up my neck and into my face, or the wide sappy grin that stretches my lips.

"Thank you!"

He calls a waiter to take my order.

Now it is my turn to look around. "And where are your guards?"

It is unheard of, for an alpha to travel without his enforcer and at least one other warrior. Even when Quinn and I were on pack duty away from the pack we always had two warriors shadowing us, and Quinn is not alpha yet. I had only managed to convince them to let Kai and me leave on our own because I pointed out that Kai alone has the caliber of more than two warriors, and I have magic for extra protection.

Justin chuckles at my question. "They are in the hotel. I persuaded them that I would be fine on my own for an hour since I'm just going to be on the ground floor."

"Aha! I knew your shadows would not be too far away."

He chuckles some more. "How is your brother doing? He needs to find time for us to get together again. It has been a while."

I thank the waiter for my mojito and take a sip. "He's doing okay, we've just had a couple of issues that he is dealing with."

He takes a sip of his scotch as well. "He told me about the abominations that kidnapped you. He also gave me more information about them than I had before, although I still have no idea what they were searching for in my library. I'm grateful that nobody was bitten. I did some research after Quinn updated me, and it just raised more questions."

"Yes, we're still investigating the matter ourselves. And what brings you to Las Vegas?" I ask, not wanting to get into a full discussion about the abomination since they're linked to my quest and the Nahash.

"I was here on business but stayed longer to meet an informant about an illegal breeding camp for werewolves."

I frown. "A breeding camp?"

"Yep. I got some intel about a werewolf breeding camp in New Orleans. Have you heard anything from your end?"

"Not at all. This is the first time I've heard of it. I will ask Quinn if he has. But if the breeding camp is in New Orleans, why are you meeting the informant here?"

"It is safer to meet with me here. He or she doesn't want to be seen with me in New Orleans, so when I mentioned that I was here on business they said they would meet me here."

"You can't tell if it is a man or a woman?"

"No. we communicate via text."

"How did you verify that they do have valuable information?"

"They sent a picture of a former pack member-- one we believed was dead three years ago. She may have been kidnapped."

"Goddess, that's horrible."

"Indeed," he agrees, glancing at his phone when it pings. "It looks like I will have to get my guards after all. The meeting location has changed. Will you be alright on your own?"

When he rises, I rise too, amused by his genuinely worried expression.

I laugh, hugging him. "Of course, I'll be fine. I'm not twelve anymore, Justin."

"And where's your-- oh. I think I have my answer. There's a very angry wolf coming this way."

He releases me, and I turn around to see Kai giving Justin a death glare. "Kai, this is Justin, Quinn's friend. Justin, my mate, Makai."

Justin holds out his hand, which Kai takes now that he knows who the man his mate was hugging is. I don't even know why he is so upset. I hug everybody.

"Maybe you should be a little less huggy? Especially with strangers," Rain advises.

"Justin is not a stranger!" I protest.

"I meant generally. You're mated now. Being near other wolves agitates your mate."

Since Kai is here, I leave the bar as well, listening as he exchanges small talk with Justin. It turns out that Justin has seen Kai fight in the Pit during his visits to the Hakhan Pack, and he was impressed.

When we get to the entrance, Justin says his goodbyes. "My regards to Quinn. I will call him with an update on what happens after my meeting. I'm certain we will meet again soon. Take care of yourself, Storm. Makai, it's been a pleasure."

Makai and I return to our room while Justin meets his guards in front of the hotel.

We don't speak on the way to our room, but I can feel his remorse as much as he must feel mine. I hate fighting with Kai. It makes me feel horrible and lonely.

As soon as we shut the door to our room behind us, he takes my hand. "I'm sorry for saying all those things to you. I don't think you're a cheat. I get upset sometimes because it feels like you put Callum above everything. You're not willing to listen to anything at all when it comes to him. You have to admit that everything he has been doing is suspicious. And we have someone leaking information to the Nahash."

"I agree that we have a leak, but Kai, the leak can't be Callum."

"Storm--"

"Okay, fine. Suppose that the leak is indeed Callum. How does Callum know when to appear wherever we are? I don't tell him anything. The only people who knew about our trip both times were my family and us. And Aris, of course. Maybe the leak is from Aris's end, we need to ask her if someone else from the council books our tickets and hotel accommodations. Because even my family does not know our room number. Someone told the people who attacked us where we were."

Makai is quiet while he chews on the observations I made. "I agree with what you're saying, but it doesn't exonerate Callum. There is more than one link here. They were waiting for us in our room ready to attack. I don't think they were just waiting in here by coincidence. They knew we were coming up at that time. How did they know that we would not spend hours out? Callum was the only person who knew that we had the artifact and also knew that we were returning to our hotel. This has nothing to do with how I feel about your relationship with him and whatever happened in the past."

I swallow my frustration. Kai is right. The purple person was working with other people and they somehow knew we were coming. Again, I feel a pang of worry for Cal, hoping he will contact me soon so that I at least know that he is fine. But Kai is right. I can't keep dismissing his feelings and observations about Callum because I trust Callum and just expect him to do the same. That is unreasonable. I need a different approach.

I sigh. "You're right, and I'm sorry I always dismiss your feelings out of hand. I also have to keep reminding myself that you don't know Callum at all, so your reaction to him and everything going on involving him is normal. Callum and I did experiment a little, but it was nothing serious. Just a little making out and some petting. I won't lie and tell you that it wasn't enjoyable, but it was just experimental as I said and we figured out that we both needed a different kind of partner. We haven't done anything sexual since we were in Magic School. My attachment to him is more like a very close friend, closer to a sibling but not exactly a sibling. It's hard to explain, but I feel responsible for him, and I would know if he's doing something terrible. I admit that a lot of hands are pointing at him, and you can't trust him, but please, trust me. Trust my judgment. Please."

He stares into my eyes for a long time, searching for something. I blow out a relieved breath when he finally nods, kissing my fingers. "I will trust you, Storm. I will trust you with Callum and whatever is going on with him."

Happy that we are no longer at odds with each other, I jump into his arms, and laughing, he wraps his arms around me and kisses me, exploring my mouth with his tongue.

**************************************

We wake up the following morning and pack for home, deciding to eat breakfast outside the hotel before going to the airport. We dine at the bar we met Aris yesterday which doubles as a cafe during the day. We are almost back to our rental vehicle when my phone rings. I check it eagerly, thinking it is Callum, but I'm disappointed when it turns out to be Mars from the Witchlock Council.

"They want to meet with us at the closest park," I tell Kai, who raises his brows in surprise. "Now?"

"Yes. I think we have a few minutes to spare before we need to be at the airport."

When we meet at the quiet park, they refer to us as Rekan and Raai as they had the first time we were introduced. They're both dressed in the long black robes favored by the Witchlock Council.

Mars takes the lead, giving us an update on events. Aris has already told us some of it, but I don't mind hearing it from them too.

"The magical footprint does not belong to any witch or warlock on our database," he informs us.

I swallow my disappointment. "That is unfortunate. I was hoping it could help us find the person."

Jen eyes me. "We need to talk to Callum King. Are you certain you can't give us any information on where to find him? We have to ask him some questions."

"Is this about the pawn shop situation?"

She hesitates before answering, exchanging a glance with Mars, who nods. "Yes, among other things. The most pressing thing is that we need to ascertain his whereabouts during the time you arrived at the pawn shop."

Makai and I avoid exchanging a glance. "Why? What is the relation between Callum and the pawn shop incidence?" Kai asks.

Again, Jen receives a nod of approval from Mars before informing us, "We suspect that he may be the person you encountered there."

What? How was that possible? "Don't you already have his magical footprint on your database?"

I know that they do because Magic School collects all students' footprints for the database.

"Yes, we do, and while it wasn't an exact match, his was the closest footprint match."

What?

"But if he-- oh," I sigh when I catch on. "You think he may have altered his footprint, don't you?"

Jen nods. "We suspect so, especially since someone reported having seen a man who fits Callum's description using dark magic."

I feel a chill. "Dark magic? Callum? Where?"

"We can't tell you the details, but there was an incident a few days ago in a library that killed ten people. the only survivor managed to describe two of the warlocks that were in the group of attackers, and Callum fits the description."

Another library?

"Did the person say that Callum attacked them too or just that he was with the group?" I ask for clarification.

They exchange another glance.

"He didn't mention that Callum was an attacker."

"Callum wouldn't attack innocent people," I inform them with a nod, ignoring the incredulous look Kai gives me.

"Be that as it may, we need to talk to him to find out what he knows, so if you have any information, you should tell us."

"Trust me, I also want to speak with Callum. I haven't heard from him. When I do, I will tell him that it's urgent he speaks with you."

Another exchange of glances.

"Actually, we were hoping that you could convince him to come and see you so we could talk to him when he arrives."

My jaw almost drops. "What?"

Makai scoffs. "Honestly, don't bother. If you intend to try to convince Storm to set a trap for his friend, you'll only be wasting your time. He will not budge."

"He will have no choice if he wants to continue using magic with the freedom he is accustomed to," Mars snaps, finally losing the fake patience he was sporting.

"Are you threatening my mate?" Kai growls, eyes turning a glowing gold. I put a calming hand on his arm, giving the two council members a steely look. They must think I am a pushover. I let a little of the storm that brews in me when I'm upset to the surface, saying lightly, "I'm certain that is not what they meant, Kai. They can't possibly be suggesting that I can somehow not be allowed to use magic; a birthright the Goddess gifted me."

As I speak, the weather suddenly becomes chilly, the wind blowing around us, rustling leaves, and turning the atmosphere around us dark. I stare at Mars, whom I have decided to focus on. I feel it when they try to stop my brewing storm and fail, their magic touching mine and getting flung away. Through all of it, I keep my expression serene, watching them try to hide how affected by my magic they are.

"Just tell Callum that we need to speak to him to clear his name," Mars finally says, trying but failing to steady his voice.

"Of course," I reply, retracting the brewing storm. When the atmosphere returns to normal, they both look at me warily for the first time since we met.

"Will that be all? My mate and I need to leave for the airport."

"Sure, we will be in touch."

"We will do the same if we encounter any new information that will aid the joint investigation into the Cause," I tell them.

With one last wary look, they nod and walk away.

Makai laughs after they leave, taking my lips in an unexpected kiss. "That was hot. Goddess, Sunshine, you are scary. The sweet face and sunny disposition are so deceitful. They never see it coming."

I scoff. "I understand their desperation in wanting to speak to my idiotic friend, but threatening me? Threatening my ability to use magic is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Especially since I don't fall directly under their jurisdiction. There are other species with magic as well, not just witches and warlocks, and for a werewolf like me with magic who is not a hybrid, the rules for me are different. I just follow all the Witchlock rules because I want to and because I think the rules are important. I'm not obliged to."

Makai pulls me into his arms. "I don't think they will ever threaten you again, Sunshine. I'm sure that they have seen the error of their ways."

I chuckle, losing my laughter in his mouth when he takes my lips in a kiss.

He frames my face when he pulls back. "I promised to trust you when it comes to Callum, and I will, but you need to try contacting him again. What they just said happened yesterday is serious."

Grateful that he is still trusting me despite the mounting evidence against Callum, I burrow into his arms, saying into his wide chest, "I will understand if you're still suspicious. When you promised to trust me with Cal, we didn't know this new information, and it looks bad."

I know I haven't been as understanding of Kai's point of view as I should have been, and I'm trying to do better.

He sighs. "I won't lie and say it's easy, but I trust your instincts so I will give him the benefit of doubt for as long as I can."

I breathe in relief. "Thank you."

He squeezes me some more and then releases me. "Come on. We need to get to the airport now."

As we agreed earlier, we both give our wolves control and recede to the background, watching as they spoke and giggled-- well, Rain giggled while Kitai charmed him and gave him more reasons to giggle. They were cute, and it was interesting watching Makai and me but not us.

I feel all of Rain's emotions, and before I go into slumber to give them privacy, I tease him, making him blush some more. Kitai and Rain cuddle into each other under their shared blanket as much as they could cuddle on a plane. I make a mental note to talk to Kai about giving them a night together to experience everything firsthand.

Quinn picks us up from the airport, eager for news about the quest. We update him on the way, telling him about meeting Callum and the part he played in helping us get the ring. We also tell him about Makai's hunch, meeting Aris to hand over the ring, and the ambush that met us at the hotel. He listens while he drives, alarmed when I get to the ambush and the purple-aura ninja. He parks the vehicle to the side just to confirm that I'm not hurt anywhere. I see Makai shaking his head in the backseat, amused by Quinn's antics.

When he's satisfied that I'm fine, he continues the drive. "Thank Goddess Makai called Aris. Well done, guys, it sounds like you two had quite the adventure."

"You could say that. If we weren't sure before, now it is obvious we have a leak, and we need to figure out how they are getting information from us."

I also tell him about meeting Justin. We continue chatting until he drops us off at our apartment after we promise to come home for dinner. We start kissing as soon as we shut the door behind us, happy to be home. The sex is fast and furious, and after it we take a shower together, soaping each other.

There is a knock on the door as I am dressing, and thinking it is Zane, I leave the towel I am using to wipe my hair on the bathroom counter to open the door.

I'm surprised to see Corey and one of the girls from the orphanage, Andrea.

"Oh, hi. Come in. How are you doing?"

When they come in but seem to have lost their voices, Makai thinks that his presence is making them uncomfortable. "Let me excuse you to have your chat."

"We're here to see you!" Corey blurts, surprising both Kai and me. Then I remember seeing Corey and Makai laughing together during the Full Moon Dance. But that does not explain Andrea, who I know is also wary of alphas. It is strange how most of the orphans that found their way to us recently are afraid of alphas.

"Me?" Makai asks, perplexed, eyes darting between the two teens.

"I mean, it is always good to see Storm too, I mean--" He stops with a flush when Andrea elbows him subtly.

"We're actually here to see both of you but for different reasons," Andrea clarifies.

When Corey's eyes dart to my chest and blood rushes to his face, I realize what had them tongue-tied. I forgot that I was shirtless and wearing jeans hanging low on my hips with my hair still wet from the shower.

Rain chuckles. "You need to go wear a shirt."

"Sure, give me a second," I tell the teens and return to the bedroom to dress.

"Can I get you guys anything?" I hear Kai ask after telling them to sit. When I return to our living room they are sitting across from Kai, sipping bottles of water.

I sit next to Kai, smiling at them. "Welcome! This is an unexpected visit, but it's so great to see you both. How have you been since I last saw you?"

"Okay, I guess," Andrea answers.

Corey pouts. "I'm fine. We've been missing you at swim practice."

I feel terrible for shirking that particular responsibility as I have been. "I'm sorry. I've just been preoccupied with working on a project for the pack. I told Sam to give you all my apologies and inform you that I need some more time off."

"He told us," Corey admits glumly, stressing on "he".  Andrea elbows him again.

"He's right. I should have informed you guys myself, considering that we're friends and I know how much being on the swim team means to you. I'm sorry about that too," I apologize, amused when Corey sends Andrea a triumphant look. I am glad to see a solid friendship brewing there. It will do both of them a lot of good.

I meant what I told Corey. Finding my mate and becoming a Protector made me forget that the relationship between the kids and me was more than between a swimmer and coach-- we were friends.

Being on the swim team gives the kids a purpose. I need to balance my time better so that they don't feel like they are no longer important to me.

"So, what can we do for you? Unless you just came to visit, which is also fine."

"We wanted to find out if Makai would be willing to teach us self-defense," Corey rushes out, his attention on Makai now.

I would have laughed at Kai's stunned expression if I wasn't afraid that it would come out wrong to Corey and Andrea.

"You want me to teach you self-defense?" Makai asks, stunned.

"Yes," Andrea confirms with a pleading look at Kai.

"But...me?"

"Yes," they chorus.

"Why? There are pack warriors that--"

"No! We don't want them close!" Corey cries, his reaction surprising Kai. Unlike Kai, I'm not surprised. I know why Corey wants nothing to do with the warriors.

"What's wrong with-- oh. You don't like alphas," Makai remembers.

"Or Betas," Andrea adds sagely. "They're almost the same as the alphas."

"I'm an alpha," Makai states the obvious.

"Yes, but you're different. You don't scare us and we like you."

This seems to perplex my mate more. He shifts his attention to Andrea who nods eagerly. "I feel safe in your presence. My sister Ama also felt the same. At the dance," She clarifies when Kai still looks confused.

"Is there a reason you want to learn self-defense now? Did something happen?"

They nod in unison. "That was why we want to talk to you too," Corey tells me.

"I'm all ears."

"We started remembering more. From before."

That has me straightening, more alert than I was before.

When Makai gives me a questioning glance, I explain, "Unlike the others who had family in the pack, Corey, Andrea, and her sister Ama were sent here to me."

Makai was confused. "Sent to you?"

"Yes, we didn't remember much from before we got here, except our names and dislike for alphas and betas, but we were brought here and asked to tell Storm that a friend said he would take care of us."

"And each time, I found them myself," I add.

"Like when you found me," Kai says through our mate link.

"Yes, but I'm not sure it is related. What are the odds? We know the story of how and why you ended up here. Doesn't explain the same for the kids."

"It is quite a coincidence though."

"Certainly."

"Do you remember anything about the person who brought you here?" Kai asks aloud.

"No, we don't. We just remember that they were kind."

"Were you from the same pack?"

"No," I answer at the same time that they both respond "Maybe."

It is my turn to be surprised. This is news to me.

"As far as I knew before, they weren't," I tell Kai, then turn to the teens. "Is that what you are remembering now? Did you know each other from before?"

"I caught him shifted," Andrea started.

I frown, not understanding the problem if Corey shifts. "Why was that a problem?"

"He had shifted into a white wolf!" Andrea explains, and I understand her surprise. I am shocked as well, but I see that Kai isn't.

"I forgot to tell you. He told me some things during the Dance. I think he may be a Cray Wolf, but the pack he described isn't Dion's pack. And Kitai couldn't feel his active wolf."

I'm confused. "But how is that possible? As far as we know Crayai is the only remaining Cray Wolf pack. Unless there is another we don't know about? Maybe Aris would know."

Kai shakes his head. "I already checked with Aris. There is none other that she knows about."

"You haven't even heard the craziest part yet," Corey informs us, returning our attention to them. "Andrea is like me. She can shift into different-colored wolves too. So can her sister."

That shocks us even more. "You're Cray too?"

"It seems like it. So, after I saw Corey, I was surprised. I didn't think anyone else was like my sister and me, or like the others from where we came from. We have been remembering some things from before, and we can't remember clear faces but we feel things, you know? So I know that not everyone from that place was like us."

"So it is possible that you were from the same pack?"

They exchange glances, and then Corey says, "From the little things we both remember, we don't think where we were was a pack, at least not like it is here."

I feel a chill. "What do you mean?"

"I get a few flashes sometimes. I think we were kept in a large house with a compound, and I don't think we were allowed to leave the compound."

"I have similar memories. And I hear babies crying sometimes. At first, I thought it was a prank from some of the others, but now I know it is a memory that keeps haunting me. And I get scared sometimes when I remember. I feel like someone is coming to get me."

"So that is why you want the self-defense training? So you won't be scared anymore."

She nods. "If I can defend myself, I won't be so scared anymore. And Corey also wants to learn so that he doesn't have to avoid the bullies at school when school resumes."

I can't help feeling angry. "Bullies?"

One thing Quinn and I have been trying to ensure has no place at the Hakhan Pack School is bullying.

Knowing that he won't tell me if I ask, I do a quick mind invasion to see the boys who are terrorizing him. They will be hearing from me, and I will take Kai along with me for emphasis.

"I will be fine," Corey rushes out, anticipating that I will ask further questions and not wanting me to. I don't probe because I already have the information I need.

"You told me earlier that your wolf could speak to you sometimes. Has he spoken to you since the Dance?" Makai asks.

Corey shakes his head. "No, he hasn't. I think he only ever speaks if I'm in a tight spot."

"Mine too!" Andrea exclaims. "My wolf doesn't talk often."

"You said the last time that you were the only one that could talk to your wolf or shift into the white wolf in your old pac-- wherever you were. Have you remembered something differently? Since Andrea says she and Ama can as well. Unless you aren't from the same pack."

"I think we are. Ama and I were the only ones who had that ability too. Corey came here over a year ago, and he is older than me. I think we were isolated once we could shift into the white wolf. I remember eyes on me and a loud, mean voice instructing me to shift. I don't remember much else apart from the tattoo. He had a tattoo on his arm."

Makai and I exchange foreboding glances. "What tattoo?"

She closed her eyes. "A wolf. A wolf with a serpent wrapped around it."

My stomach drops. "The Cause," Kai breathes through our link.

I try not to betray my alarm. "And Corey? Do you have a memory of the tattoo too?"

"I used to dream about it when I first came here, but I couldn't remember the shape properly when I woke up, so I couldn't explain it to the therapist or tell anyone. When Andrea told me, I suddenly remembered."

Makai turns to me. "What do you think tampered with their memories?"

"Who," I correct.

"You think that someone wiped their memories on purpose?"

"Yes. I'm almost certain of that."

"What for? Was it part of whatever they were doing at their pack?"

"Actually, I think it was to help them."

"You think that the one who rescued us from there was the one who wiped our memories?" Andrea asked.

"Yes, I believe so. But I can confirm if you don't mind."

Andrea hesitates. "What will you do?"

"I will just feel your mind a little. Nothing intrusive, and I won't see any recent memories. Your memories are like different doors in your mind. I will just try to knock against an old memory. Two years back. The feedback I get when I try to knock will tell me if it was locked with magic or by your brain."

She swallows. "Okay." I turn to her, gently probing her mind. "Yup. Locked with magic," I inform my rapt audience.

She is surprised. "You already did it?"

"Yes, I have."

"But-- I didn't feel anything. And you didn't touch me at all."

I chuckle. "It is a fairly quick and painless spell. And I don't usually touch objects to perform magic."

"Oh wow."

"Storm is awesome when he performs magic," Corey tells his friend proudly. I snort, but it feels good to be appreciated for my magic.

"Can you reverse it?"

"I can, but I don't believe I should. I don't know why it was put there. If I just try to reverse it, it might cause you more harm."

They are disappointed, but it is for their own good. The conversation returns to the self-defense lessons.

"So, will you please teach us?" Andrea implores guileless green eyes on Makai.

"Makai glances at me, at a loss for what to do. "Can I think about it?"

Corey and Andrea grin in triumph.

"Thank you! We will get a room ready back at the house that you can use," Corey announces, pulling Anna up.

"Wait, hold on. I said I would think about it."

"We know, but it is better than what we hoped for. We know that you prefer to keep to yourself," Anna quips, her mood suddenly lighter.

They both hug me goodbye, with Corey wrangling a promise that I would be present for the next swim practice.

Makai is bewildered when they hug him too.

"I'm not getting out of this, am I?"

I chuckle through the link. "Nope. You just became a self-defense instructor."

We walk them to the door, and before they leave, Andrea tells Kai, "I think we feel safe in your presence because you're like us. I don't think the alphas there were like us."

With that they were gone, their excited chatter echoing in the quiet hallway.

"Every day we have even more questions. What is happening?"

"It's strange, isn't it? If they weren't in a pack, what was that?"

"I'm not sure either..." I trail off as the chill I felt earlier returns. I rub my hand on my arm to ward off the chill. "Storm, what is it?"

"Kai. I think I know what is happening with the kids. When I met Justin last night at the bar, he said he was meeting someone for information about a Breeding Camp."

"Breeding? For what purpose?"

"That is what I have no idea about. But it makes sense, doesn't it? From everything they said, they may want a particular type of wolf."

"Cray wolves."

"Yes, but what kind of breeding are they doing? Because a Cray impregnating another wolf or being impregnated by another wolf should give you Cray offspring. Cray wolf genes are that strong."

"There's also the matter of the person who brought them to me. Why? How do they know me? And what is their association with the Cause? They rescued the kids. I don't know why but I'm grateful they did. I wish we could figure out who it is."

"You know too many people, and are friends with too many of them to be able to make a good guess."

"We need to speak to Aris again. And oh! Let me call Justin to find out if he met with his informant."

"You call Justin. I will contact Aris." Before I leave for the bedroom to grab my phone, something occurs to me. "When Corey and I spoke at the Dance, he told me that he was confused by the name of his old pack, but he remembered something like Anguis. Anguis is serpent in Latin."

I sigh. "The plot thickens."

_________________________________________

Heyyy Cupcakes!

It's looking like we're going to accept that Sundays have become update days. Anyway, the plot keeps thickening. What do you think about everything in this chapter? The breeding camp, Corey and Anna, and the revelations?

How do you feel about Callum? Do you think he's guilty?

Let me know in the comments below. And also, don't forget to vote for clear skin.

❤&🧁

Stephduchess

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.5K 2.2K 69
After being cursed never to find his mate, Alpha Kendrick of the Tala pack has accepted that he will have to rule without anyone by his side and has...
129K 4.5K 28
Branson Williams, it's his last year in school, and he finds out who his mate is this year. He is openly gay, so he's not surprised when his mate tur...
King's Guard By kara

General Fiction

3.1M 120K 47
"Why are you staring at me like that?" "Like what?" "Like you want to tear off my clothes." "And what if I do?" ~~~ Kingsley didn't believe in love...
SAVAGE By Jay.

Werewolf

378K 16.9K 30
BOOK 2. CRESCENT FALL PACK. He's arrogant. He's strong He's brutal He's a monster No one knows who Savage truly is, except his family, pack and clos...