Falling Into Your Smile

By CJ-1245

"Tong Yao isn't the only new addition to ZGDX. Let's welcome Lee Chen, the new Topsolo!" After her resignati... More

Author's Note (Not Part Of Story)
#ZGDXHeadQuarters
Friendship With Smiling (XD)
TAT vs. ZGDX
Big Mistake
The Culprit Of The Haunted House
Internal Conflict
Yue's New Chair
Battles For Supremacy
Meeting An Old Frenemy
Worst-Case Scenario
Sick Wild-dogs
Beautiful Moments Of Silence
Awkward Seconds Of A Pause
Foreseen Victory
An Eventful Day
A Blind Date
The New Male-Lead
Jealousy, Jealousy~

Yao's Magical Advice

973 17 4
By CJ-1245

I woke up, and made my way downstairs. Me and Cheng were the only ones awake. I walked down the stairway, got my coffee, and went into the living room. I reached for the shelf to grab a book on Chemistry. Cheng was reading a book. Really? Huh. 'Strange Pilgrims' was the title. It's so esoteric, I thought, before Yao's words rang in my head. "You're in love, Chen." They rang, and I was lost. "Go away!" I mumbled, and Cheng looked at me in curiosity. I had forgotten what I was searching for. Chemistry! Right.

"Cheng, you woke up early today." I commented, and he looked back at his book. "Team CK will be competing today. I woke up to spectate their match." He answered, with his signature tone. Don't even have to specify anymore, I just know it. "Did they win? Yao will bug me about it later." I asked, and Cheng didn't even look up. "The Red and Black Teams were dominated by the Alpha Team, as usual." He replied. I continued to look at the book-shelf, before the voice of Yao returned. "Joyous mood, heart beating rapidly, shy and.." It said, and I could picture her laughter. It is not funny, by the way. "Shut up." I said quickly, without thinking, and very angrily.

Cheng looked at me again, a frown on his face. "What did you say?" He asked, and I had no real answer, so I stuck to the basics. "Nothing." I replied, looking back to the book-shelf. I could feel my cheeks heating up, and it was a very foreign feeling for me. I looked at him again, as he drank his coffee. I wondered, did I really love him? And if I didn't, why does it matter so much?

As he left, there was a feather on his head. I followed him, trying to get it out. He turned, and looked me straight in the eyes. "What are you doing?" He asked, as I got the feather out, and blew it away. "Nothing, feather-head. I suppose it belongs to the cat." I said, awkwardly grinning.

Just then, everyone else came to my rescue. It was gym time, like in school. I remember when my friend took over Rui's place. It was a hard week. But it's easier nowadays. "Today, I'll just do everything." K said to Yao, as I was just fixed in my place. "Woo Ri Chen, do you want to join us?" Chubby asked, and I snapped back to reality. Boy, I was in it deep, wasn't I?

+---×---+

"Why are you training so hard?" Yue asked me, as he huffed and panted on the treadmill. I was at a much higher speed, with nothing more but beads of sweat. He was breaking into rivers of sweat.. okay, that's an exaggeration. But in comparison to me, he sweat a whole lot more. "You aren't included in the starting roster." He said, confidence lesser, and lesser in his voice, and the exhaustion coming up. He wasn't really physically fit, was he?

"You aren't there yet. Why are you training so hard, then?" I asked calmly. I didn't shut him up, though. "It was decided from the beginning." He sighed, happily. Hah, as if. "Don't imagine your fantasy into your reality. You can't afford to pay for it." I retorted, still well within my boundaries of sane. I was sure I would cross them soon. "I will start for the team." Yue responded, still trying to match my even jog on treadmill, and failing miserably. "You will never start for the team." We both said in sync.

"Stop trying to intimidate me." I sighed, and stuffed my iPods in my ear. I had retained my iPhone, so hey, it's all good. "K, have you ever seen a living retard?" I asked him, as he sat in a corner with his charcoal face-mask. "Which one? I'm not sure what's wrong with them." He asked, in a snarky tone very evident, his eyes still closed. I hurled a slipper at him, which hit the target. "Headshot." I smirked, and retrieved my slipper. Yue was jealous, probably of my aim. He could never match it, he knew.

+---×---+

"Our new uniforms are here!" Chubby yelled, as we all examined the package. "They're here? Let's take a look!" Yao said, full to the brim with excitement. "What do you think?" Rui said, as I looked at mine in nostalgia. I remembered my first time, all fuzzy inside, just like Yao. The label behind said DarkFairy, instead of DragonSlayer, so a faint smile appeared. "It does look better than TAT's first uniform. They were black and white, like a newspaper. It's changed though." I commented, still far away in the past. I couldn't believe where I was now. I remember saying, "I'll never abandon TAT, and if I do, my name isn't GuidingLight!" And now it wasn't. "Weren't you the one complaining, that we'll look slimmer in black?" Yue added, trying to make me look dumb. The above condition is one I have faced.

"This is called playing with the cards you're dealt. If even this uniform is basically black and white, it has red." I remarked, as Yao and Chubby compared the jackets. "Didn't you say you would look fat in white? Why did I believe you? Yours is not half as big as mine!" Chubby grumbled. "You shouldn't believe in a girl, when they say they're fat." I commented on Yao's behalf. Girls have insecurities, and even three kilograms makes you feel fat.

"It's not about being fat or not. You look like a kid no matter what you wear." Cheng said, suddenly entering the scene. Yao grinned with Yue, who whispered something to each other. Everyone looked at Cheng, as if he grew three heads. "What did you say? Who did you just call a kid?" I asked, offended. It was a back-handed compliment, very Lu-like.

Rui was on the verge of breaking into laughter, as Yue gave a thumbs-up. I left in frustration and humiliation, as Cheng grinned in victory. Or so I thought.

+---×---+

The next morning, everyone boarded the bus to have a match with YQCB. Lee Chen got off, as a fan or staff member, spoke something to Rui as they left. They headed to the make-up room, to make them more presentable for the camera. Cheng was first. "You put on too much foundation." Cheng said to his artist.

"Really? Let me check. You're right. I won't apply concealer then. I'll apply the setting-powder directly. Okay?" The man asked Cheng, a rhetorical question. "My goodness, brother Cheng, your complexion is so good!" The man said, a little astonished. "I know." Cheng replied, nonchalant. "What's the secret to your complexion?" The man asked, expecting an answer this time. Cheng smirked. "My youth."

---------

"I'm handsome enough. There's no need for make-up." Yue said, showing off. He learnt in his brother's footsteps. "You can't do so. Anyway, you'll be more handsome after I apply the make-up for you. Come on." The man said, as Yue looked at the brush in hatred.

---------

"Why are you shaving my eyebrows? My eyebrows look good, okay!" Chubby exclaimed, as the man held a razor. "They do look good. But do you realize they're unequal?" The man asked, and Chubby furrowed his eyebrows. "Is that so?" He asked, and the man nodded. He closed his eyes, ready for the blade.

---------

"Use 502 as the base, and apply 303 after that. It'll look natural and energetic." K said, as the man looked at him in surprise, and continued as instructed. K explained all the foundations needed, as the man stared in astonishment.

---------

"Please apply more powder. My face is huge." Yao said to the artist, who consoled her. Chen didn't pay attention, as she sat behind them, reading a book. The one Cheng was reading before, Strange Pilgrims. "My dear, your face isn't huge at all." He replied, adding more powder anyway. "Really? This is the first time someone said that to me." Yao said in happiness, as she beamed. "It's just a bit meaty." He said, and Yao's face fell. She stared into the mirror, waiting for this to end.

---------

"Can I skip the eyeliner? I don't like that." Chen said, looking at herself in confusion. She did not want to look like a girl, the man thought. "Are you sure? Rui! Take a look. Doesn't she look exquisite?" The man called to Rui, and Chen gave the artist a death glare. "Draw it." Rui said, and Chen knew that she was stuck with it. Her short hair was curled, as they fell right below her chin. She sat next to Yao, looking exactly like her mother. It brought back memories.

+---×---+

"Do you think my eyeliner looks okay?" I asked Yao, as the man continued my make-up. I did not like him very much. "It's fine." She said reassuringly, smiling faintly. "Okay, we have to leave to get the individual pictures taken. Chen, meet us after." Rui said, leaving. "Where is my uniform?" I called out, and he pointed to the sofa. Got it. "Wait! Where is the dressing room?" I asked in alarm, and Rui grinned. "Find a private spot, no one's watching." He said, leaving. I was more irritated by the second. "How much more?" I asked the man, and he shrugged. "As long as it takes." He said.

+---×---+

"Chubby, I think you should take the photo alone." Rui said, looking at Chubby is disdain. Cheng and Chubby did not look good together. "You said the same thing last year." Chubby huffed, as everyone else laughed. "What time is it? I think it's time for the group picture." Cheng said, as Yao entered the room. "Yeah, what time is it? Chen isn't here yet." Yao said, as she had changed into her uniform. "We're done with our pictures in white. Don't tell me she transformed herself into Empress Wu Zetian through make-up?" Rui said, grinning.

"Girls are slow. When they say they need to go out, that means they need to wash, comb and blow-dry their hair. They need to choose the right combination of outfits, perfume, bags and shoes." K said, and Yue nodded to it. Yao was teetering on agreeing, or not. "I'll rush her. Cheng, why don't you bring her here?" Yao said, as she realized that it would take Chen years to decide.

"You want me to go? You're so smart." Cheng sighed, rolling his eyes. "She's scared of you. When you show your face, she'll rush here in terror." K justified. He was supporting Yao, because he liked her. They both had grown a friendship over the months, and expressed their opinions freely. Cheng left, still not understanding why he was sent.

+---×---+

"Do you really need to darken my eyeshadow?" I asked the man, and he said if I wanted to. I refused immediately. He left the room, and I searched for my uniform. Aha! I kept it on the dressing table, and started to remove my shirt. That's all I had to change. Just then, the door opened, and I heard Cheng's voice. "Chen, the sun's almost setting. Will you-"

I turned in hurry, to see him standing behind me. I didn't lock the door again. I had half-removed my shirt, my black camisole was showing. I straightened it, as Cheng stared at me with his mouth closed, and I stared at him, biting my lip. "Hurry up." He finished, turning, and closing the door as he left. I pulled at my hair is frustration, and sighed deeply. What just happened?

+---×---+

Cheng stood outside the door, and searched his pocket. He opened candy, and stuffed it in his mouth, stressing out. He just witnessed something he shouldn't have. He just stood outside the door, wondering what to do. Just then, Yue entered the scene.

"Brother, what are you doing? The photographer is rushing us. Brother, what's wrong with you? Where's that retard?" Yue said, trying to get to the door. He felt something was wrong, because his brother didn't even look him in the eyes. Cheng didn't want Yue anywhere near that door.

"You should return first." He said, slightly shoving Yue back. He still didn't look his brother in the eyes. "What's wrong? Is she inside?" Yue asked, confused. "Yes." Cheng replied, nonchalantly. "What is she doing?" Yue asked, and Cheng pushed him back, a little harder this time.

"I don't know. You should go back. She'll return immediately." Cheng replied, still not looking at his brother. "Oh. Rui wanted me and Chen to take a photo together. That's why I'm here. Alright, you guys better hurry up." Yue said, pretending to be casual. He knew something was going on, and he wanted to find out. But at the moment, until he knew, this tease would continue, Yue thought, a sly grin on his face.

Cheng looked at Yue leaving, and crossed his arms. What had this impulsiveness gotten him into? Right then, the door opened, and Chen peeked out. "Who were you talking to?" She asked Cheng, now in her uniform. "Lu Yue. You should come out when you're done. Stop wasting time." Cheng replied, turning to face her. Chen exited the room, and closed the door, and looked at Cheng with her arms crossed. Cheng didn't meet her eyes, knowing full well what she was going to ask.

"You saw everything?" She asked him, and Cheng's snarky mood returned. "I'm not blind." He replied. Chen was now officially annoyed. "I told you to knock before coming in!" She said, following him. "Yue was going to barge into the room. I was the one who stopped him." Cheng replied, stopping and turning to face Chen. "I was talking about you. Why are you dragging Yue into this?" She asked him, even though he had a point. Cheng crossed his arms, and looked Chen in the eyes. "You were inside for and hour and 40 minutes. The possibility of me seeing you like that, and the possibility of me seeing you dead on the floor are both 50% respectively." He said, raising his eyebrows in apprehension. Chen sighed, not liking the reply at all.

"But, I'm sorry. I'll knock before I open the door next time." Cheng finished, and even Chen was surprised. That did not happen often, and this was not the captain speaking, but her friend. And maybe something more. Lu Si Cheng is actually apologizing to me? I must be counting my lucky stars, Chen thought. "Good. But the formal part is too much." Chen said to Cheng, as he frowned.

"I thought you needed a formal apology." Cheng replied. "I do. You'd need to marry me, for doing that in the ancient times." Chen retorted. The tension has dissipated, but both were very much embarrassed and slightly annoyed with each other. "You better not go too far. Don't push your luck." He said, as we continued back for the photoshoot. Chen felt butterflies in her stomach, but didn't understand why... Cheng, felt similar sparks.

+---×---+

Ugh.. I was embarrassed, but.. I didn't show it, and I felt weird, while Cheng didn't even look at me. He felt the same, I think. Yue was still in the dark, sparing me an explanation. "You guys are finally back. Missy, what's wrong with your face?" Chubby asked, as me and Cheng stood next to each other in complete silence, the awkwardness consuming me. Something felt different.

"What do you mean?" I asked, as my voice returned to normal. "What were you doing in that room?" Yue asked, indicating plural. "We rushed here. I thought we were in a hurry." Cheng interrupted calmly, saving me explanation. It was his fault, and I guess he's trying to make up for it. "Why aren't you gasping for breath, if you rushed here?" Yue asked again.

"It's because I have longer strides than you." Cheng arrogantly replied. Yue looked pissed, but I was enjoying my time watching this drama. "Alright, stop this. Back to the subject, Chen, it's your turn. After that, you'll take a photo with Tong Yao." Rui said, as I was pushed in front. I posed in front of the camera, just as the photographer instructed. I even took a pretty good picture with my bestie, a little more on the playful side. She wouldn't stand straight for even a minute.

"Lu Yue, why don't you take a picture with Chen? Make it seem like you two were fated rivals. I want a fierce and intense look. An unspoken conflict between the main and substitute. You need to create a feeling of conflict, between the two of you." Rui instructed, waving his hands about, as if visualizing it. The grin on my face faded, and Yue walked on stage.

"Move out of the way. Okay. Stand still." The photographer said, as Yue glared at me, his back next to mine. He shoved me, almost making me trip. Oh, how I wish I could punch him. My hands were balled into fists, as we took pictures. It gave Rui his look, mind you. But I would've pictured Yue with a black eye better. "Show us how retarded you were, fighting for that chair. Rui wants you to portray your own nature." Cheng said, reading a magazine.

Me and Yue faced each other, me looking as if I wanted to punch him, (which I did) and him wanting to do the same. We gave each other glares like daggers, and we looked like we would break out into a fight. Yao was grinning from the bench, which added more fuel to the fire.

"Cheng, get up there." Rui said, nudging him. The color drained from my face. Yao had that devious smile, and I knew she had something to do with this. Did Yao know what happened earlier? If she did, I wouldn't hear the end of it. "What?" He asked, maybe noticing my pale face. "Go and take a picture with her." Rui said, as Cheng looked annoyed. "Why would I take a picture with her?" He asked, as Rui insisted.

"You two are the god and goddess of ZGDX. Of course you both need to take a picture together. Our HR requested it. Even if you don't take it, people will edit it anyway. If that's the case, why don't you just take a better-looking picture?" He said, pushing Cheng up there. I was.. really.. how do I describe this? People actually assume me and Cheng as a couple? And would edit pictures to make that possible? I couldn't believe it.

Yue clapped, as Cheng finally walked up. "Get me a chair." The photographer called out, as his assistant brought one, in a hurry. As it was placed down, I immediately stood up on it. Dare to call me short now? I'm literally 5'6, and he's 6'1. Now I'm taller.

Everyone broke out into fits of laughter, as Cheng sighed in irritation. He knew I wasn't going to let him live it down. "Miss, please get down. I'm not asking you to stand on it. Cheng, sit down." The photographer said, as the others had gone into hysterics. Cheng wiped the seat, and gave me a look, as he sat down. I gave a forced, yet natural and sweet smile, when I would have rather hid underneath a blanket. As the others looked at the photos, Chubby huffed. "Why do I feel like I'm at a wedding photoshoot?" Chubby asked, stuffing beef jerky in his face. Rui hushed him, as they all grinned. "It does feel like it." Yao whispered, and giggled in pure joy.

Me and Cheng looked at each other in awkwardness, mentally apologizing to the other. "Look over here." The photographer said, as we both turned to face the camera. What had I gotten into?

+---×---+

"Go for it. Get on the highland." K said, as I hissed in annoyance. This match was making me irritated. Onmyoji isn't that easy. "Wait until I stun the enemy." I said in a hurry, as my abilities refreshed. "Don't be nervous. We can kill him. Go." K said, in rapid succession. Didn't understand him, but got the message. "Okay, okay. Give me time." I said, attacking once again. "Chen, help me here." Yao called, as I approached her location. "Come on!" Yao said, as I rushed towards her. "I'm coming! Yes! Easy game." I replied, in relief.

"You're so bad." Yue said, coming up behind me. "You're watching me, like a hawk. I couldn't do my best, but we won, loser." I said, smirking. "Since we won, I'll get snacks. What do you want?" K asked, as Yue leaned into his phone. "I'll get.." He trailed off, presumably looking at the menu. Yao had already ordered, but I wasn't in the mood. "You guys don't have to order for me. I'm going out. I'll eat there." I said, as the other were too busy piling on top of the stool behind K, just to order.

Chubby gasped in surprise, as I turned to him. "What happened?" I asked, as he looked into his phone. I walked over to see what was going on. "Our main account posted a teaser of our profile pictures. This one looks great!" He said in excitement. I checked the feed, and found the picture of me and Yue. "Not bad! Yue looks cool!" Chubby commented. I looked at the comments.

^My Lv! You've finally appeared!^
^This picture looks great. They're the new light and shadow duo! I'm excited for the nationals!^
^Those who ship Yue and Chen are starting to rise! Our Yue is handsome!^
^Aren't they both vying for the same spot? Shipping seems unlikely.^
^I thought _CuriousLight_ and Cheng were a couple. Is she trying to create trouble? The ones who ship Lu Si Cheng and Lee Chen must remain strong. We mustn't falter!^

All of this shocked me. People shipped me and Cheng, as well as Yue? This was confusing. Then I found a picture of me and Cheng. Somehow, it made me smile. I found Yue chuckling to himself, and gave him a look. He shut up after that. "I was the one who told them to post those pictures. Before we post them officially, let's let our fans know what's happening." Rui said, walking in. I ran my fingers through my hair. and looked at Rui. I don't think he understood what he did.

"Most of them don't know what's happening. They think Chen is two-timing the male players. They think she's going to get married." Cheng said, coming to my rescue. "Most of them? Who are they?" Rui asked, confused. "His mother, my mother, and her mother."

+---×---+

"Five unanswered calls, and over ten unseen messages. Both are asking whether their son has a girlfriend, and they are asking about the reason the couple photo was posted on the official account. And they're asking why it's the same girl for both sons." Cheng said, as Yue hurried to make a call to his mother. Chen was taken aback, as she thought. "My mother knows? Oh, she's going to kill me." She mumbled, face-palming on her desk. She was in real trouble.

"Hello, Mom? It's not like that! My relationship with Chen is not what you think! Cheng? Oh, I don't know whether my brother-" Yue's phone call was interrupted by a flying book to the face. Chen flinched, as Cheng went back to work, as if he didn't almost break his brother's nose.

Chen took a long look at her couple photo with Cheng. It was called *Smiling Chessman*. She smiled faintly, remembering a younger Lee Chen, friendless and alone. Until a light really did enter her life. Cheng probably wouldn't remember it, she thought, but it changed my life.

'+'+'+'+

It was evening, that day, when Chen returned from school. She had a horrible day, her seniors bullying her continuously. She walked home, alone, wishing she wasn't. She hadn't eaten the whole day, but she didn't care. As she walked across the streets, cherry-blossom trees looming over her, she stopped.

She sat on a park bench, and cried her little heart out. She was just eleven, and extremely intelligent for her age, top of her class, and most popular among everyone. But that was just to hide her broken self. Her family never had time for her, always working. Her brother was into e-sports, and forgot her existence. She wasn't allowed to have friends, as they were below her, according to her mother.

A random boy walked across too, sulkily.  A thirteen-year-old, two years older than Chen. He was very irritated that day, and saw Chen crying quietly in the corner. He sat down beside her, and comforted her. He joked with her, as Chen's tears vanished and her smile returned. "Why were you crying?" He asked her, after a long pause. Chen felt a feeling, which made her confide in him. "Hmm.. I have an idea. Why don't you come with me? I'm Lu Si Cheng, by the way. What's your name?" He asked, and Chen contemplated whether to tell him or not. "I'm Lee Chen." She said, and that one moment brought a friend into her life, and changed it completely for her.

'+'+'+'+

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.4K 1.5K 29
Rubi, a Chinese-Korean kpop global sensation star, a world famous idol, soloist of Sm, then later Hybe entertainment, dies on a car crash at the youn...
30.2K 1.1K 69
Returning from Korea for 2.5years, Jia Xuan comes back. Her dream, gaming. However, that one accident caused her to have her gaming skills to be bad...
52.8K 3.3K 16
Summary: It all started from a game, and ended in such a spectacular, but bewildering, event! Gusu, Cloud Recesses. "S-sect leader Lan...? W-what...
77.7K 2K 51
Xiao Rui asked: "Lu Sicheng, are you really interested in Tong Yao?" Lu Sicheng: "I won't answer this question." Tong Yao: "..." Xiao Rui: "So the re...