mind over mask

By storiesbylizy

Marinette Dupain-Cheng is Ladybug. It's been three years since she because the superheroine of Paris, and alm... More

part i
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
part ii
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
forty-eight
forty-nine
fifty
fifty-one
fifty-two
fifty-three
fifty-four
fifty-five
fifty-six
fifty-seven
fifty-eight
fifty-nine
sixty
sixty-one
sixty-two
sixty-three
sixty-four

thirty-five

5K 239 49
By storiesbylizy

꧁꧂꧁꧂꧁꧂

Damian's POV

Bourgeois was a pain to deal with, but for once, she had a bright idea. I had already asked Drake to keep an eye on Lila Rossi, so collecting evidence for a legal suing case wouldn't be so far of a stretch. Not even including what she's done to Marinette, I can count multiple cases of slander towards Wayne Industries, the Agreste fashion brand, Jagged Stone, Clara Nightingale, and Prince Ali.

I made some calls to Drake, and our team of lawyers. My Father didn't question it when I told him it would help solve our situation here. If Al Capone could be caught for tax evasion, maybe we could do the same to Lila Rossi, or Lily Ross. Whoever change the liar's name had lots of money and high end connections. It was barely perceptible, but as soon as Drake caught it, it was unmistakable.

I had a nagging suspicion that the teen was also involved with Hawkmoth, with the amount of akumas she caused, but that could also be based on her personality.

But my purpose wasn't to take down Rossi. It was to help Marinette. I wasn't there for her when she needed me the most.

I failed her.

Which is why everything at the Winter Ball has to be perfect. Marinette wouldn't show me her dress, wanting it to be a surprise, and she told me she'd give me a matching tie to wear.

My only instructions were to pick her up on time, and to wear a black tuxedo. So I did.

I knocked on the bakery, since it was locked since it was past closing times. Marinette's mother opened the door and quickly ushered me in from the frozen streets.

"Damian, you look good. Marinette is so excited for tonight," she said with a bright smile. It comforted me that Marinette's parents were so supportive of her.

Tom was behind the counter of the bakery when he called up to his daughter, "Marinette! Damian is here!"

There's a large thump from upstairs, and I know that Marinette is panicking. She's clumsy with an air of elegance, I just can't describe it. My angel has this, this—energy around her, that brightened everyone's day.

Marinette's father a large man of stature started walking towards me. I wondered how Marinette could be the size she is with her father's genetics. I wasn't afraid of him, even though he stood over a head taller than me.

With stern eyes, he commanded, "Bring her home at 12 o'clock sharp. Not any later, or else I will be out with my rolling pin." He held an aggressive stance, holding his rolling pin, ready to pull it out and use force. He continued, "I don't care if your brother is on the police force—"

"Yes, sir," I interrupted him, I knew the point he was trying to get across. His face immediately turned back into a kind one, and I knew that he would do anything to protect his daughter. I admired him in that way.

"Don't scare him, Tom," Marinette's mother chastised him. He smiled, and opened his mouth, but before he could say something, he was interrupted by the creaking staircase.

It was Marinette.

Lila was right about one thing.

Marinette looked good in red.

She looked more than good. She was a vision. She was an angel. My angel.

Her dress was a deep red, with small pearls woven into the bodice of the fabric, slowly fading onto the shoulders. The front of the dress came together through a v-neck, and swathes of fabrics ruffled together to make the sleeves. The dress slightly dragged on the ground, so I assumed she was wearing heels underneath. Marinette looked taller than usual.

I didn't have an appreciation for fashion, but Marinette certainly had an eye for it. I knew that her dress spark jealousy at the dance, for anyone that wasn't her.

Marinette slowly descended down the stairs, teasing me, and it took everything in me to not to go to her.

Marinette knew she looked good. There was confidence in her sure, but steady steps. She fiddled with a red tie in her hands, I knew she was as nervous as I was.

I had never been to a dance before, and I didn't want to mess it up. I was so desperate, I asked Grayson for advice.

He made fun of me, and laughed at me, which reminded me, I had to get back at him for that, but ultimately, Grayson helped me. He helped me pick out the suit, and he'll get me ready. He gave me advice on how to not screw it up with a girl based on his experiences. I swore him to secrecy, and Grayson promised that not even Alfred the butler would find out. I doubt his secret keeping abilities were that exceeding, for Alfred was all knowing.

Before I left to pick up Marinette, Grayson said that Paris had changed me.

I think he's wrong.

Here, I didn't have to worry about the Wayne name and the weight that it carried, I escaped my reputation, and forgot about my past.

I think Paris freed me.

And when Marinette's eyes finally met mine, they glistened like a warm, summer ocean. I couldn't help it, the corners of my mouth twisted upwards, breathing my cool demeanor.

"You're smiling," Marinette openly gaped at me, reaching the bottom of the stairs, only feet away from me.

"It's you," I responded back to her, and watched as Mari blushed as red as her dress.

"Awwww," Marinette's mother emphasized, taking a few pictures of us.

"Maman," Marinette groaned, and this time, she blushed out of embarrassment.

"What? You two are adorable," she lamented on us.

I scowled internally, I was not adorable, or cute. That was Marinette.

Marinette shook her head at her mother, and got closer to me. She popped up my collar, and tied on my tie, her hands slightly lingering on my chest, before we separated.

"We better get going," I informed Marinette, no longer willing to be under her parent's constant glare.

That seemed to snap her out of her dazed state, as she nodded. I stepped out of the bakery, where the limo was waiting. For a moment, I wished it was Pennyworth who was driving it, instead of the hired driver. (Grayson wanted to drive, but I couldn't let him tease me ruthlessly.)

I opened the door for Marinette, and she thanked me and got inside. Even though Marinette lived so close to the school, I still thought it was necessary to show up in a vehicle such as this.

I got into the limo after her, careful not to ruin her dress. Marinette scooted over to make room for me, picking up the white flowers I was supposed to bring in for her.

"Who are these for?" She asked slowly, her hands crinkling against the plastic covering.

I told her, "For you. You didn't give me the color of your dress or tie, so I couldn't get a corsage and a boutonnière for tonight. I thought this would be an adequate replacement."

"It's more than adequate," Marinette teased me, breathing in the scent of the white lilies. She seemed to like them, and it eased my anxiety.

Thank Grayson.

The limo ride was over as fast as it started, as I helped Marinette out of the car. She looked back at the flowers, so I said, "You can leave them here. They'll be here after the dance."

She nodded shyly, and turned her head towards the school. You could hear the music, although muffled, from here, and students from all the other classes bustled inside.

Many stopped to turn and look at Marinette, and her dress. Some offered her sweet words, and others looked on in jealousy.

We followed the crowd, and headed towards the dance. We went through the entrance, and looked down at the decorated gymnasium. There was Christmas trees, red and green decor, and banners situated all throughout the large room. On the stage, Lahiffe was DJing the music, with a stand of his own set up.

I knew it took a lot of courage for Marinette to come back here after what happened before.

Sensing her nervousness, I offered her my arm, and Marinette grabbed it without a second thought. My heart pounded, I could barely focus on anything else that was happening. I shook myself out of it, immediately analyzing the room, exits, weak points, etc.

Anything could happen tonight, drama followed this class like no other. Which also meant that Hawkmoth was never far behind. I felt like something would happen tonight. He hadn't attacked in a while, and there wasn't any trace of the Black Mask here anymore.

A grand scheme was in the mix, and I didn't like where it was heading in Paris.

We descended down the stairs, and walked around the dance floor. I scrunched my nose at the music was playing, it was far too loud, and far too annoying for my taste.

Marinette looked at me, and giggled at my reaction. I wanted to scowl at her, but I just couldn't.

I could give her this. I could give Marinette her own magical moment tonight.

꧁꧂꧁꧂꧁꧂

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 94 20
Marinette had been just waiting for the moment when Lila struck again. But she didn't expect to lose so much at once when she is accused first of che...
74.6K 2.7K 22
Marinette moves to Gotham when Bunnix warns that Lila will ruin her life if she stays in Paris, giving Hawk Moth the chance manipulate Marinette's em...
131K 2.9K 12
Just another Daminette... Alright so most Daminette happens when Marinette wins a class field trip to Gotham so to switch it up Damian is an exchange...
230K 6K 16
Disclaimer- I don't own the characters they belong to Zagg and DC Daminette Betrothed AU Marinette Dupain-Cheng is the heiress to the miraculous, she...