Only Ones Who Know - Derp Cre...

De Enchanted_Espurr

Anthony Mariani is the new student at Granite Hills High School in Sacramento, CA. A shy Italian boy from New... Mais

Chapter 1: A New School, A New Life
Chapter 2: The Little Viking
Chapter 3: The Crew
Chapter 5: Secrets
Chapter 6: My Happy Place, pt. 1
Chapter 7: My Happy Place, pt. 2
Chapter 8: ... Because She Has Brothers
Chapter 9: Shut Up and Dance
Chapter 10: Protecting My Heaven
Chapter 11: An Italian Warning
Chapter 12: Thin Ice
Chapter 13: All I Want for Christmas
Chapter 14: The First Punch
Chapter 15: Questions
Chapter 16: Forever and Always
Chapter 17: Can I Stay Alive Forever?
Chapter 18: It's Gonna Be Okay
Chapter 19: Hold On
Chapter 20: Talking to Angels
Chapter 21: Better Days
Chapter 22: Benvenuto in Famiglia, pt. 1
Chapter 23: Benvenuto in Famiglia, pt. 2
Chapter 24: Let's Go in Style
Chapter 25: The Road Ahead
Chapter 26: Big Changes
Chapter 27: I Think I Wanna Marry You
Chapter 28 *FINAL*: That's All We Need to Know (+ message at the end)

Chapter 4: Pigskins and Proposals

1K 54 24
De Enchanted_Espurr

"Smarty, just do it," I shout whispered at John as we walked into Art II together.

"I, I can't, Chilled," he stuttered, holding the abstract art painting in his hands. Today was the day that he was going to ask Marissa out on a date to the football game this Friday. I've spent my first week at this school getting him ready for this moment, and I'll be damned if he backs out of it now. "What if she says no?"

I stared down into his nervous brown eyes. "What if she doesn't?"

He looked down at the picture, then back at me. "You're right. I'm gonna go for it."

"Atta boy, John!" I squealed, pushing him through the door. He went straight to Marissa while I went to my desk a few seats back. I could faintly overhear his conversation with her as I sat there with a smile on my face.

"H-hi, Marissa," he greeted, stuttering. No, John! No stuttering!

"Hey, John. What's up? What'cha got there?"

He swallowed hard and held out the heart. "I have s-something to ask you. Would you... would you like to come to the football game with us this Friday?"

She took the heart and I could see a huge smile cross her lips. Smarty did the same as she gave him her answer. "I'd love to. Is this for me?"

He smiled and nodded, taking pride in his work. "Yep. I hope you like it."

"I love it. Here, let's exchange numbers so we can arrange for Friday." They each pulled out note cards and scribbled their numbers on them for each other. "Okay, see you later, John!"

"See ya." He waved and came to his seat just before the bell rang. He held up the card with a smirk. "Guess who has a date set for Friday."

I clapped. "Congrats, Smarty. See, I told you everything would turn out okay."

"And I didn't want to believe you. But I guess we have something to tell the boys."

[Time skip to lunch]

"You did WHAT?" GaLm shouted, making the people around us jump. John just told the guys about his success with Marissa and they're all pretty... surprised to say the least.

"And she said yes too. So, Tom" - he smirked and turned to face Tom sitting beside him - "it's almost your turn, bud."

Tom swallowed the rest of his spaghetti bite and shook his head lightly. "Okay, but I'm not a big shot artist like you."

"It's okay, we'll help you out."

"Okay, what are you willing to do?"

Then I got an idea. "Hey, she's in my music class fifth period. I can help you out there."

"Really? You'd do that for me?"

I sipped my bottle of water. "No problem. Anything for a friend." I looked across the table and made eye contact with Steven, who was staring at me intently. He smiled and looked back to the main group, trying to hide some pink on his cheeks. Wait, pink? Why were his cheeks getting pink? He doesn't have a... no, he couldn't possibly have a crush on me, could he?

"Anyway, ready to go to the track?" he asked, and we stood up with our trays. I threw the thought aside and made up my mind that I was making things up.

Steven can't possibly be into guys. But then again, why was he so nervous when Smarty made a joke about finding him a girlfriend? And why was he so quick to dismiss finding him one? Maybe he just doesn't want a girlfriend because of a past relationship. And maybe it was just a little warm in the cafeteria today. Yeahhh, that's it. Okay, get it together Anthony. Your crush can't possibly like you back... or maybe? Just focus on talking to Johanna in music and help Tom out with his proposal.

~~~

"Leaving Tom's house now, we'll be at yours in a few minutes," Smarty texted me. "GaLm will be driving alone with Myla."

"Okay," I simply replied, putting my phone down and throwing on my Batman hoodie over my blue plaid shirt. The guys and I are going out to a big football game tonight at school and they're on their way to pick me up. Cielo's coming too, but she's going to ride with a few of her own friends.

Tonight's also a big night because Tom's going to be asking Johanna to Homecoming tonight. With my help, the other kids in the band are going to help out after the halftime show by getting her attention, then Tom is going to come out with flowers and we'll follow behind with a banner that has his question written on it. We even got the press box operators to help out by playing her favorite song during all of this, "Hold On Till May" by Pierce the Veil. He's pretty nervous about it but we've been helping him out with it all.

We've been going to Granite Hills for a couple weeks now and adjustment was a lot easier than what I thought. I've spent most of my time with the Derp Crew, as we call ourselves now, and Cielo's made a few friends herself, including Steven's sister Scarlett. In addition, Ze and I are almost ready to turn in our math project that we started on my first day.

Speaking of Steven, after the first day when Smarty brought up getting him a girlfriend, he hasn't shown any signs of being scared of the topic. Because of that, I haven't brought it up again or asked him about it. I also haven't asked him about why it seemed like he was "blushing" at me at lunch the other day. If he really wants to tell someone, he will. Or at least I assume he would.

I walked out of my room and saw Cielo in the hallway. Her dark hair was pulled into a side braid and she was wearing a Three Days Grace t-shirt with pink skinny jeans and her brown leather boots. It even looked like, in the light of her phone, that she was wearing make-up. The clothes she was wearing didn't surprise me, but the make-up did. If there's one thing I know about my baby sister, it's that she doesn't wear make-up. She kept Mom's set after she passed away but never used it, until now.

"Hey there, Cielo," I greeted, eyeing her out of the corner of my eye. No, no make-up! Cielo Livia Mariani, you're almost 15, remember that! the big brother in me screamed in my head. "Who are you all dressed up for?"

She quickly put her phone away and blushed. "No reason, I just felt like dressing up."

"Make-up too?"

"Uh, yeah? Might as well, you know." I just nodded and the door bell rang. Dad was grabbing a snack in the kitchen and answered it while he was up.

"Anthony, John's here!" Dad shouted.

"On my way! Okay, see you there, Ci-ci." I patted her on the back and ran to the door. "See you later, Dad."

"Alright, Anthony. Don't be out too late, okay?"

"Will do!" I closed the door behind me and rushed to Smarty's car.

"Okay, just to warn you, it's a little tight back there." I didn't listen to him and flung myself in the backseat, landing on Steven and Tom's laps. Tom lifted the flowers he bought for Johanna so I wouldn't crush them on accident. I turned over and stared up at my surprised friends. Steven moved his hand away from my hip and looked the other way, not before he grazed my inner thigh ever so lightly.

"Oh, h-hey guys," I stuttered, thinking about where Steven's hand had been. Why can't he put it back? I whined in my head. Before things got too awkward I sat up in the seat that was actually designated for me. I heard Marissa, John's date, laugh in the front seat.

John came in and buckled up. "I tried to tell you, bro. By the way, Marissa you know Anthony, from class?"

"Yep. Hi!" We shook each other's hands and I put on my own seat belt. I could feel heat radiating from Steven in the cramped back seat. The ride was quiet except for the radio and some small chatter from John and Marissa. He looked so smitten with her and smiled after everything she said. He looks at her the way I look at Steven - except I'm afraid that I can't have him the way he can have her. I haven't even come out to them yet, thinking that it's just not the right time.

The I started thinking about his hand on my hip again. It was driving me insane! It was just a small touch, a simple - albeit accidental - gesture, and it was enough to make me fall madly in love with him. I glanced down at his hands in tucked neatly in his lap and stared back out the window at the dusk. I had to hold back the temptation to reach out and pull him closer to me, intertwining my fingers with his and kissing him like it was the last chance I'd ever get to kiss someone.

While I was lost in my thoughts, I got a glimpse of Steven looking at me out of the corner of my eye. I turned away from the window and smiled.

"What's up, Anthony?" he asked with a smile through his growing beard. "You look like you're thinking really hard. What's on your mind?"

I chuckled nervously. What do I tell him? "Oh hey, I'm just thinking about how much I'm in love with you and the thought of you having your hands all over me is driving me crazy"? Yeah, that won't scare him off at all! "Nothing, really. I just love this song. Nice song choice, Tom." It was the one he was going to play while he proposed to Johanna at halftime.

She sits up high, surrounded by the sun

One million branches and she loves every one

"Mom and dad, did you search for me?

I've been up here so long I'm going crazy!"

And as the sun went down we ended up on the ground

I heard the train shake the windows

You screamed over the sound

And as we own this night

I put your body to the test with mine

This love was out of control

3-2-1 where did it go?

I think that answer was good enough for him as he turned forwards again, and before long we pulled up at school. Smarty parked his car, being able to find a space before the full crowd came in, and we found GaLm and Myla waiting for us at the ticket booth.

"Hey, guys!" he waved at us with one hand and held hers with the other. "Myla, this is Anthony - er, the other Anthony." I laughed at the title of "the other Anthony" and introduced myself to her. We found our seats in the bleachers just in time for everyone to start coming in. Tonight was the night we were facing off with our school's biggest rivals, Rosemont High School, and we were going to need all the support Granite Hills could muster.

"I'm going for some snacks, does anyone want something?" Ze asked. I raised my hand and stood up while he took everyone's orders. I stepped out of my spot and followed him down the steel steps. He practically skipped to the concession stand with a smile and I laughed at how adorable he was. "What do you want, Chilled? It's all on me."

"Are you sure?" When he nodded for reassurance, I saw exactly what I wanted. "Popcorn!"

Ze chuckled and turned to the lady at the desk. He gave her his order and stepped to the side so we wouldn't hold up the line. "So, you like popcorn?"

I laughed out loud at his question. Is that even a question? Popcorn butter runs in my veins, of course I love it! "Yeah, maybe a little..."

The concessions lady gave him a box for all of our snacks and he nudged me on the shoulder. "Okay, come on, you popcorn fiend." I wanted to help out with the box but he insisted on doing it all himself. We went back to our friends and chatted with them until the big announcement came over the PA.

"Alright, Wolfpack! Get to your feet and make some noise for your Granite Hills Timberwolves!" The stands rumbled with cheering and the sound of stomping as some Metallica song played over the PA and the football team ran out of an inflatable wolf head. By kickoff we all settled down and Ze was busy catching his breath.

"You" - I laughed at how passionately he was yelling - "You okay there, buddy?"

He nodded and smiled. "I just get really excited about football."

Cute, I thought. Literally nothing he could do would make me change that. But then I looked down below us and saw a familiar sight. Cielo?

A few rows in front of us, I saw my little sister Cielo with a few of her friends - and a guy. She laughed at everything he said and kept bumping herself into his shoulder. He wrapped his arm around her a couple times and pulled her close, even kissing her on her forehead! The big brother in me wanted to go down there and throw whoever he was off of her, just make a big scene out of it. But now that I know she's growing up, I decided against it. Instead, I'll be having a "grown up" talk with her pretty soon...

Before long it was halftime, and we were up against Rosemont 21-14. The marching band was getting ready to go on. Tom held onto his flowers and we held the banner; Smarty and GaLm grabbed onto the corners while Ze and I grabbed it in the middle. Of course we stayed hidden until the almost 8 minute show was over.

"How do I look?" Tom asked as the band was wrapping up the last few notes.

"Fantastic," Smarty snapped. I hope he hasn't forgotten that he was a nervous wreck when he asked Marissa on their date tonight. "Now, they're coming to the middle of the field. Get ready!" Smarty gave him a reassuring back smack and Tom waited for him cue.

"Okay, Wolfpack. We have a special surprise for one of our own Marching Wolves, Ms. Johanna Tucker," the PA operator started. A few of her bandmates turned her around and the music started playing. Tom took a deep breath and went for it, going out onto the track while we followed him. The crowd cheered as he got closer to her and we could see her shuddering with excitement, even though she had no idea what was going on. He finally reached her after walking slowly to her, and she turned around to see him.

"T-Tom?" she stuttered as he dropped to one knee like a wedding proposal, holding the flowers out for her. He was given a microphone and spoke into it.

"Johanna Danielle Tucker, will you do me the honor of going to Homecoming with me?" he asked with a surprisingly clear voice.

Tears built up in her eyes as she took the microphone from him to give her answer. "Y-yes," she stuttered again, taking the flowers from him. He stood up and they hugged on the field, him in his gray shirt and pink bowtie and her in her marching band uniform. Her band cheered for her and so did we. Then I looked down at Ze and studied his excitement for his best friend.

I don't know what possessed me to do this, but I reached down and grabbed his hand behind the sign so no one would see us. It was a small gesture, but I couldn't resist it anymore. I needed his hand in mine.

He looked up at me, first smiling but then changing into a look of fright. He stared down at our hands, our fingers together in a tight embrace, and he started... crying?

"A-Antho-ny?" he stuttered. Uh oh, I blew it, didn't I?

I dropped our hands and quickly apologized. "I-I'm so sorry, Steven. I don't know what came over me."

He nodded and stared at the ground. "It's okay, I swear." Tom skipped over to us with a smile on his face and despite what was going on with us we put on a smile for him.

"I did it!" he shouted with pride.

"Congratulations!" we shouted in unison. But his face changed to worry when he saw the tears on Steven's cheeks.

"Are you okay, Ze?" Tom asked.

He wiped them away with the back of his hand. "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just so happy for you!"

"It's okay, Ze. We'll get you a girlfriend of your own, soon!" Smarty wrapped his arm around him, and it was back - that look of worry at the mention of the word "girlfriend". Between me grabbing his hand and Smarty saying the forbidden g-word, poor Steven was suddenly an emotional wreck.

We all made our way back to our spot in the stands by the beginning of the third quarter, but Steven didn't join us. We were all worried about him and his sudden change in emotions, and he wasn't speaking up about it. A minute later I received a text.

Ze: Anthony, can you meet me at Smarty's car?

Me: Sure, why?

Ze: I'll have to tell you when you get here. Just, come quickly.

I stood up and headed down the bleachers, but not before I was stopped by Smarty.

"Hey, is everything okay?"

I nodded, lying. "Just going to find Steven, that's all." I proceeded to exit the stadium as we scored another touchdown. I walked out to where Smarty's car was parked and knocked on the window, finding Ze already in there sobbing in his coat sleeve.

"Hey, Steven buddy," I whispered as I opened the door, scooping him up in my arms. I closed the door for us to have some privacy. "What's wrong?"

"I don't even know anymore, Anthony. It's just... there's something that I need to say but I don't know how to say it. It's something that no one needs to know about, because... I'm s-scared." He began crying again and I pulled him into my lap. He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and his legs around my waist, holding onto me like a baby would hold its mother.

"Why are you scared?"

"Because... I'm scared of everyone hating me once they know..."

I cooed and rocked him back and forth to soothe his nerves. "It's okay, Steven. Whatever it is, you'll still be the amazing human being I know you as right now. But you don't have to tell me unless you really, really want to."

"Anthony," he started, sniffling. "Promise me that what I'm about to say stays in this car and between us."

I stared into his deep green eyes and held out my pinkie. "I promise."

"Anthony, I..." He stopped and took a deep breath, readying himself for what he was about to say. "Anthony, I-I'm... I'm gay."

(A/N: And I'll leave it here for now. I would love to keep going but maaan, I actually got over 3200 words in here! This is the longest part I've ever written in a story on here. I know how I want the next part to go, but I'll be away this weekend so updating might be a little slow. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I poured a lot of love into it.)

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

1.3M 58.9K 105
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
226M 6.9M 92
When billionaire bad boy Eros meets shy, nerdy Jade, he doesn't recognize her from his past. Will they be able to look past their secrets and fall in...
43.9M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...
3.9M 159K 69
Highest rank: #1 in Teen-Fiction and sci-fi romance, #1 mindreader, #2 humor Aaron's special power might just be the coolest- or scariest- thing ever...