STALEMATE [MAFIA] [MXM] ✓

By alydae

Astren City, and all surrounding area, have the highest crime rate in the northern part of the country. Dozen... More

PART 1
1: TOPLINES
2: WISHFUL THOUGHTS
3: HE DOESN'T
4: DOWNFALL
5: EXCITING
6: BLOOD LOSS
7: THINK ABOUT IT
8: PROMISE
9: DOUBT
10: NEVER CHANGED
11: CONFUSING
12: GONE AWAY
13: MISTAKES
14: HASTE
15: LONG RUN
16: A PROJECT
17: MEMORIES
18: THE GOOD SIDE
20: RIDES
21: NOT ANYMORE
22: JUDGMENT
23: TODAY
24: PARTNERS
25: UNEXPECTED VISIT
26: IN TROUBLE
27: AN INCONVENIENCE
28: FAR FROM OVER
29: STAY
30: BREAKFAST
31: LOOKING FORWARD
32: DONE
33: PLATONIC
34: THE TRUTH
35: HEARTBROKEN
36: CONTACT
37: GOODBYE
38: A NEW REASON
PART 2
1: OH WELL
2: FOR THE BEST
3: THINKING LOGICALLY
4: YOU'RE WELCOME
5: FOR ONCE
6: HELP
7: ONCE AGAIN
8: OPTIONS
9: SCREWED
10: THE RIGHT DECISION
11: PERSONAL RELATIONS
12: SALEM DOES
13: COMING BACK
14: HER
15: FEEL BETTER
16: BE OKAY
17: TALKS
18: TO BE EVEN
19: CHANCE
20: WHO YOU ARE
21: MY TURN
22: DOING THIS
23: INFORMATION
24: AN EXAMPLE
25: IT'S TIME
26: ATTAINABLE
27: THE DEVICE
28: OVER WITH
29: PROOF
30: RUNS
31: LONG ENOUGH
32: YOU WON'T
33: CONDOLENCES
34: MASSACRE
35: BACK
36: GETTING READY
37: HIS PURPOSE
38: EPILOGUE
ATLAS: 1
ATLAS: 2
ATLAS: 3
ATLAS: 4

19: IDEAS

2K 105 75
By alydae

"You what?"

"Listen, it's not a big deal." Salem defends, as he walks through the school hallways. Salem has no idea how Jordan found out, but the guy knows about his little adventure on Saturday. He called Salem after school to basically lecture him about safety. "I just wanted to see for myself."

Atlas didn't come to school today, which Salem doesn't really find surprising. He was pretty mad Saturday, and the guy always has a lot going on generally. Salem obviously didn't miss him or anything, he only noticed because they have nearly every class together.

"What is wrong with you?" Jordan asks, and Salem rolls his eyes as he exits the building. Today is one of the days he's driving Milo to work, so they need to make this quick. "Did you forget who you are, Salem?"

"No," Salem replies, sick of people saying shit like that to him. By that, they mean who his father is. Salem knows that there are a lot of people out there that would jump at the chance to... well, cause him harm. Jack has arrested many people in his time, screwed up a lot of futures and lives—though, they really did it to themselves. Still, they have a lot of enemies. So, he can't really blame people for their concern. Doesn't make it any less annoying, though. "I just don't think it's that important, especially since I'm supposed to investigate him."

"Yeah, in a safe and controlled environment, like school." He chides, sounding frustrated. Salem is getting irritated at his concern. "Nothing good will come of you getting involved in Atlas Di Angelo's private life."

"I've already been involved in his private life," Salem snaps, but he knows it's different. Dating the guy and witnessing all the shit he keeps a secret firsthand are not the same thing. "And something did come out of it. You know his brother?"

"Which one? Luca?"

Okay, well now Salem has another name. He's going to assume that Remi and Luca must be the two eldest of the siblings, Atlas the middle. The youngest are middle school age, twins, and both girls. Salem doesn't think he has much to worry about with them, though, since they're so young. No, this is about Atlas and his brothers. "No. Remi."

"Okay, what about him?"

"So you do know him." Salem decides to make sure, and also bide time to figure out how he wants to word this.

"Yes. Remington Di Angelo is the second eldest of the Di Angelo children." Jordan says, which would make Luca the first born. So it goes Luca, Remi, Atlas, then the girls.

"Okay, well he said he hired Atlas. Like, for the fighting thing." Salem informs Jordan, but something about giving that information away—of doing the job he's supposed to, more like—leaves a strange feeling in his gut. It's almost... almost like guilt. It just feels wrong.

He elects to ignore it.

"Okay. We were not aware of his affiliation with Burnhouse." Jordan says, and Burnhouse is the name of the club that the boxing ring is under. Most of the employees in Burnhouse also manage the... basement activities as well. Salem has never really payed that much attention to the club area, though.

"You're welcome." Salem says, ignoring the strange emotions and choosing to feel accomplished. Then, Salem remembers something. Atlas' questions, his reaction to finding out that Jordan and Salem talk to each other. Well, they work together, but it's not like Atlas knows that. "I need to ask you something though."

"Okay, but make it quick." Jordan says, and Salem tries not to feel irritated at the rush. He shouldn't be surprised. Jordan is at work, after all. "I have to go work security at a baseball game in a minute."

Salem supposes that's a good reason to be in a rush. He's almost at his car, and the weather has been pretty bad lately, so he's Milo's ride to work. The call would be cut short from his end anyway. "Atlas saw us talking the other day."

There's a brief silence. "I know. Well, I didn't know until I went back inside. I doubt he heard anything we said, though."

Salem frowns, unsure about that. He thinks they were being pretty loud, but oh well. "Okay, well, he mentioned it to me. It seemed like he knew you."

Another silence, but this one is not nearly as short. Salem wishes he was talking to Jordan in person so he could gauge his expressions and body language. Sadly, he only has changes in tone to go off of right now. Maybe he will question Jordan about it further, another time.

"He may have seen me in passing," Jordan says in complete monotone. Salem frowns, because that doesn't make sense. Atlas knew him by name. Criminals don't remember cops by their name unless they either confront that cop a lot or that cop has done something of significance—something to make themselves stand out, whether it be personal or not. Atlas seeing Jordan in passing makes no sense, because then he wouldn't know his name. Jordan would probably be aware of this, too.

It doesn't add up.

Still, Salem decides not to push it—at least, not until he's around Jordan in person. He's so much harder to read over the phone. "Okay, well I was just wondering."

Salem hears a hum from the other end, Jordan notifying him that he needs to go right as Salem reaches his Camaro. He already sees Milo in the passenger seat, and realizes he forgot to lock his car. Milo better not have messed with anything.

They say goodbye, and Salem slides into the driver's seat. Milo already has his phone plugged into the aux, so as Salem starts up the car, Milo's shitty music begins playing.

"Took you long enough. I thought for sure you'd beat me here." Milo remarks, scrolling through his phone. Salem hopes he's looking for something better to listen to.

"Why?" Salem asks, because it's not like he hurries here after school. Sure, he's generally a pretty fast walker, but Milo's last class is way closer to the student parking lot than his is.

"Cam wouldn't shut up." Milo replies. Salem should've been able to predict what he says next, because Cam can never go too long without doing something stupid. "He wants me to help him film a video for his page."

Salem frowns. "Of what?"

"Some sort of prank on Levi, I don't know. I think he's suicidal." Milo says, and Salem's eyes widen in alarm. A prank? On Levi Morgan? Oh, Cam 100% has a fucking deathwish, Jesus. "I'm pretty sure it's a revenge thing. I would think that Atlas was payback enough, but apparently not."

Oh, Salem does not want to think about Atlas right now. At least, not like that. Protecting Salem and being the most confusing person on earth. Also, Cam kind of deserved Levi's rage. Sure, Salem doesn't want Cam to get hurt, but he completely destroyed the guy's truck. Levi's parents make good money and he had a new car within a week or so, but still. Salem thinks the anger was warranted.

Taking it out on Salem? Not so much. That's why Atlas got involved, and probably why Cam has come up with this whole revenge scheme.

"Please try to talk him out of it." Salem sighs, and he's pulling out of the parking lot now. He gets on the main road, Milo's work only a couple minutes away.

"I did! You know how hard that is to do, especially when his views go down. He's probably going to try and talk you into helping, too, since his videos get more popular when you're in them."

Salem never really noticed that, and he can't help but wonder why. There's no way he's helping Cam with another one of his stunts, though, especially a prank on Levi. Hell no, Atlas does not make empty threats, and Salem cares far too much for his friend's safety. Salem can't risk getting injured again, out of concern for Cam.

Conversation fades off after that, and after dropping Milo off, Salem sits in the parking lot for a while. He just stares at his steering wheel, unsure how to feel about everything. He doesn't have work today—he's been getting less hours, due to the fact that they're a bit over staffed right now. Also, he hasn't been all that dependable lately, in terms of actually showing up to his shifts.

Salem can't stop thinking about his conversation with Jordan, though. He's happy that he's learning more about Atlas and his family, but he's not sure how he feels about the cost. Not only is it against Atlas' will—he didn't want Salem knowing anything about his personal life, and Salem feels kind of bad that he's going against those wishes.

That's not all. The entire reason he's doing this is to gather intel and help in the incarceration of his family. It's the whole reason he... it's the whole reason he cares, obviously. Yet, earlier, when he told Jordan about what he learned—that Remi is a part of Burnhouse—he couldn't help but feel guilty. It makes no sense.

Before Salem knows it, a couple more weeks go by. Zona is able to convince Cam to leave the revenge scheme alone, and he instead films a fight or something. Salem spends the entire time alone with those thoughts, especially since he hardly speaks to Jordan and Atlas still doesn't come to school. He's growing irritated at the guy's disappearance, especially because the project is beginning to stress him out. He's so close to just calling Atlas to sort it all out, when he finally shows up to school.

He's late, walking into fourth period, and Salem can't hide his shock. He must have come in during lunch, and Salem seriously can't even contain his surprise and excitement. Finally!

Once he takes in the state of Atlas, though, his emotions quickly turn to concern. He looks rough, like he hasn't slept in days. His hair is a mess, and it seems as though he has some faded bruising on his face. Salem would assume it's from the fight he witnessed, but he doubts that due to it being in a different place. Also, Atlas' hands are wrapped up in bandages, which go up his arms—so they disappear under his hoodie.

Atlas takes a seat beside him, not even acknowledging Salem's existence, though that's pretty typical. Salem just stares right at him, but Atlas doesn't meet his eyes. Atlas barely has time to put his bag down before Salem is interrogating him. "Where have you been?"

Salem can already guess Atlas' response, honestly. Especially when the guy turns to look at him with a tired, deadpanned expression. His eyes are a bit narrowed, and Salem knows what he's about to say. He's probably going to tell Salem that it's none of his—

"None of your business."

Salem stares at him, unimpressed, even when he looks away almost immediately after the words leave his mouth. Crazy how they've been talking for two seconds and Salem is already feeling impatient and frustrated—two emotions Atlas seems to bring out a lot.

"Yeah it is. In case you forgot, we have a project to do."

That is not the only reason Salem is concerned, and they both know it. Salem still cares about Atlas, and it's abundantly clear in nearly every interaction they have. He doesn't even deny it, doesn't lie to himself about it anymore. He's been worried sick these past couple weeks, and it's because he still cares—platonically, of course.

"You don't even know where we're gonna do it." Atlas replies, laying his head on his desk afterwards. Salem squints at him.

Salem's father has been coming home late recently, so Salem thinks he may be able to get away with doing it at his house. Jack has just been working so much since he became chief, Salem hardly even sees him unless he goes to the station. So, he thinks they could actually get away with doing it at his house.

"Well, my dad's never home since he got promoted." Salem states. Atlas turns his head to make eye contact, but doesn't lift it from his arms. He just stares at Salem sideways, a wary look in his eye.

"That's not a good idea."

Salem raises an eyebrow, having flashbacks to the first time he asked that question. Back when the answer was a yes. "You have a better one?"

Salem cannot think of another place they could do it. It's not like they can build an entire sculpture in public. They can't do it at the school, because bringing all the materials here would be a pain in the ass, they'd have nowhere to put them, and the school itself locks all its doors and everything at 6.

"Anywhere is better than your house, Heart. You know that."

Salem raises a challenging brow. Oh really? "Okay, then yours?"

Atlas just sighs, visibly not in the mood for this. Oh well, too bad. Salem wants to get this project out of the way, and Atlas is going to have to deal. If this guy is just going to shoot down all his ideas, he at least needs to come up with some of his own.

"You seriously should just do this by yourself."

Salem narrows his eyes, and he sees the teacher walk into the classroom. She goes and takes a seat at her desk, typing something on the computer. She's probably pulling up a power point, that's basically all they do in this class. Look at presentations and take notes.

"Stop being lazy." Salem says, watching Atlas roll his eyes and turn his head back away. Class starts soon after, and that's basically how the rest of the school day goes. They don't speak or anything—at least, not until the very end. The bell is only a few minutes from ringing, everyone with their things together and socializing as they wait, when Atlas finally turns to him.

"How about," Atlas starts, and Salem looks over at him in shock. Atlas is clearly not thrilled at all by the situation, or what he's about to say, but Salem is excited. "We go shopping."

Salem blinks, before what Atlas just said registers with him. Holy shit, that's such a good idea! They can go to an arts and crafts store and look for supplies, maybe talk to an employee or something. That could give them a pretty good idea of where to start! It could give them some ideas.

"Okay!" Salem replies, not even trying to conceal his excitement. Atlas just looks away. "After school, then?"

Atlas shakes his head, and Salem frowns. "Why?"

"Can't do it today. Next week."

"Why not today?" Salem asks, because what could Atlas possibly have planned? He was just gone for like two weeks!

Atlas is clearly exhausted and not in the mood for this, but Salem doesn't care. He's excited, and he wants to get this project done. However, before Atlas can respond—if he was even going to—Salem feels his phone buzz.

Salem can't help his surprise at the contact name, due to the fact that he's only ever called with this guy about professional matters. Since when do they text?

Can you meet me somewhere today? The text from Jordan reads. Salem frowns, forgetting the conversation—distracted by curiosity—and leaning back in his chair. Meet somewhere? Salem has never scheduled any sort of meet-up with Jordan, at least not alone. Maybe something important happened?

Why?, Salem replies back

The response is almost instant. You know why.

Salem purses his lips, sick of people telling him that he knows stuff he doesn't. Well, okay. Maybe he has somewhat of a clue on this one. Jordan most likely wants to speak about the case, and possibly the fact that Salem hasn't made any progress due to Atlas not showing up to school. So, he replies. Okay, where?

Up to you.

Salem rolls his eyes, and he's pretty sure that Jordan doesn't mean a library or the station or anything.

How about TT? He suggests, referring to the popular diner downtown, Toplines Tavern. He hasn't been there in a while, but they're open really late so it's always been a go-to of his when he gets off work. Or just when he's out late, generally.

Jordan just replies with a thumbs-up emoticon, and Salem puts his phone away. When he looks up, he finds Atlas with an irritated expression on his face. Salem can't help but to wonder how that happened, due to the fact that he seemed pretty emotionless earlier. Could it have been Salem's pestering?

Salem brushes it off, instead occupying himself with speculation on what Jordan wants to speak about.

[] [] []

Barely edited this lol but happy new year!! Went to a party last night and my bf and his friend wanted to stay late so I had to babysit two drunk 20 yr old men🙄

How about you guys?? What did y'all do for new years? Did you have fun? Any New Year's resolutions?? How'd you like the chapter?? What's next??

Ok thank you guys for reading. I love you!! See you next week<3

Ps. I drew Salem haha he's up at the top. Sorry I know it's not perfect bc I haven't drawn in forever but I tried!! Atlas is next:)

~alyssa

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.2K 1.5K 28
**This is a spin-off following Max and the events after 'Little Mafia Boy'. If you want a better understanding of what happened in the past go read t...
78.4K 3.5K 35
Chase Michaels became a doctor on a whim - nothing more, nothing less - and the same applied when it came to choosing where to work. He decided on th...
882K 35.2K 31
Robin Rose doesn't know a lot of stuff, despite being two months out from his high school graduation. However, there is one thing he is absolutely su...
51.3K 1.6K 38
Allister is brand new to the world of work; fresh out of high school. His boss is nothing like he expects and very quickly his learning that his offi...