Species Unknown [Book 2: Pisc...

fantasynote

*MERMAN ROMANCE* Moving from the warm beaches of Oahu to the rocky shores of Monterey, California was suppose... Еще

PROLOGUE
01. TO FORGET
02. SOMETHING FISHY
03. GHOSTS
04. SINK OR SWIM
05. SHADOW IN THE WATER
06. SPIRITS
07. SECOND CHANCE
08. THE CREATURE
09. A WARNING IN THE DARK
10. AN UNEXPECTED VISITOR
11. STUPID IDEAS
12. IMPENDING ARRIVAL
13. DR. RICHARD GRANT
14. CAUGHT
15. A FULL VIEW
16. CHECKMATE
17. THE RETURN
18. GOING UNDER
19. SACRIFICES
20. TO KEEP A PROMISE
21. FORMING A PLAN
23. TAKING ACTION
24. PLAYING ALONG
25. BECOMING CLOSER
26. CASSIAN
27. PRETTY LIES
28. TRUSTING THE ENEMY
29. THE PLAN
30. THE ESCAPE (PART 1)
31. THE ESCAPE (PART 2)
32. THE ESCAPE (PART 3)
33. ALONE TOGETHER
34. WARM DESPITE THE COLD
EPILOGUE
BOOK 3: CANIS

22. METAHUMAN TRIALS

3K 196 18
fantasynote

I STARED AT the words printed on the folder in my hands, blinking. The fact this file existed should not have come as a surprise to me after everything I had seen.

By now, I was well aware that this compound was engaged in shady activity. The creature's existence was proof enough that C.R.O.S.S. Laboratories had proceeded with human experimentation despite it being completely immoral and highly illegal.

Nevertheless, it was still hard reading the words. Somehow seeing them printed on a physical paper I could hold in my very hands made everything real. The creature, this place, Dr. Grant, and the impossible task ahead of me.

My heart began to pound, and I felt the present slipping away. Images of waves crashing and people screaming began manifesting as my mind began to wander, drifting back to unpleasant times of my past.

I shut my eyes, blocking out the budding hallucinations and focusing on slowing my breathing. I had to stay focused. I couldn't lose it, not right now.

After I had calmed down, I closed the filing cabinet and stuffed the folder under my blouse. Fortunately, my shirt was loose enough that the sharp edges of the paper were barely noticeable. Wrapping my arms around my waist to keep the file secure, I stood up and made my way out of the office.

Approaching the door, I placed my ear against its surface, listening to people walking by. When it fell quiet and I was sure nobody was nearby, I quickly opened the door. Peeking outside to confirm nobody was walking by or looking, I snuck out of the office, closing the door behind me.

With the file secure under my blouse, I quickly made my way over to the exit walking briskly enough to leave but not quick enough to draw any unwanted attention.

However, my attempts at staying clandestine were not as foolproof as I had hoped. As I left, I saw Hunter walking from the research compound to the main dome room where I was walking across. He was still with his gang of researchers and burly men, with Austin among them. Our gazes met and his eyes narrowed.

A chill ran down my spine at the raw stare he gave me. Ever since that night on the beach, Hunter's gaze has always made me uncomfortable. I couldn't put it into words, but something in the way that he looked at me made my skin crawl.

Deciding not to let him know how much he got to me, I broke our eye contact. Looking away as if he was inconsequential to me, I kept walking towards the exit. Though I had turned away, I could still feel his eyes burn into my back, watching me as I took my leave.

I let out a shaky breath once I had made it out of the exit and into the parking lot. Though I refused to adjust the slipping file under my blouse, I was sure there were cameras in the common areas of the compound so I was certain there would be some in the parking lot.

I almost threw myself into my car once I reached it, slamming the door shut and turning on my ignition. Turning on my car, I drove out of the compound and made my way home.

As I drove, I felt my phone in my pocket buzz. Looking at the road, I grabbed my phone and looked at the message.

It was from Noah.

Lani?! I'm pissed but fine, what about you? They let you go??

Clumsily looking between the road and my phone, I quickly rushed a text back to Noah.

Yes...meet me at the ramen shop ASAP. We need to talk.

The response wasn't long coming.

On my way.

With that, I pulled off the freeway and headed towards the ramen shop where Noah and I had met after our shift once before.

I saw him standing in front of the restaurant as soon as I pulled up. His blonde hair was messily pushed back from his brow as if he had been running his fingers through it. His arms were crossed and his face was set in a stern frown as he leaned against the wall of the shop.

The easy-going Noah I had met weeks ago was cracking under the pressure of C.R.O.S.S. Laboratories. I just hoped he would still be willing to help me, despite everything.

Pulling into the parking lot, I parked and hastily got out of my car. Noah noticed me immediately. Our eyes met and his face lit up. His frown melted as his eyes widened, taking me in.

"Lani! I'm so glad you're okay!" He breathed, pushing off the wall of the restaurant to rush over to me.

As I opened my mouth to respond, his arms came around me in a crushing hug. My eyes widened in shock as he hugged me closer to his chest. Pulling me closer, I could feel the file press into his stomach.

I felt Noah stiffen and I held my breath. Slowly, he relaxed me, leaning back to look at my stomach.

"What's under your shirt?" Noah asked, looking down at my shirt and the sharp edges of the file peeking out beneath it. Instantly, I put one hand over my shirt to cover it.

"Let's talk inside," I said, grabbing his arm and guiding him into the shop.

Once we sat down at a private table in the back, I couldn't stay silent for long.

"What happened to you?" I began, after I had placed our orders with the waiter.

Noah ran his hand through his hair, letting out a sigh, "Nothing, I woke up at home. As if I had never come to work at all." He answered with a frown.

I bit my lip, "Do you remember what happened?"

Noah scowled, "Of course I do, that's why I'm so pissed. But what I want to know is what happened to you. Last I saw you were being dragged off by Hunter and his men."

I nodded, "They took me to see something." I said.

Noah's brow rose as he regarded me across the table, "To see what?"

I let out a breath. "The creature..." I answered quietly, looking around to be sure nobody was eavesdropping. The restaurant was loud enough with drunk patrons and Jpop that I doubted anyone could hear anything even if they tried.

Noah's amber eyes widened in disbelief, "The...wait...it's back?!" He stammered in disbelief and shock.

I leaned closer, "Yes, Dr. Grant recaptured the creature and I need your help." I added, holding his gaze.

Noah took a few calming breaths before propping his elbows on the table, "I'm listening..." He said, giving me his full attention.

With one last glance around us, I leaned in even closer to Noah, and told him everything. It felt great finally confiding in another person. The whole time Noah watched me intently, listening carefully to my stories about how the creature had saved me from drowning, my run-in with Dr. Grant, and how he had been recaptured.

"The creature isn't what you think." I said finally after I had told him all I could, "They torture him in there Noah, and we need to get him out."

Noah tilted his head quizzically, "Him?"

I sighed. "The creature is human Noah...they've been doing human experimentations. It's not just a rumor, I've seen it." I said, placing my hands on the table for emphasis.

Noah shook his head, leaning back. "I can't believe it...I mean I do believe it, but I guess I don't want to." He said, running his hand through his hair.

"What's worse is that Hunter has me working as his assistant, using me to torture the creature and force his cooperation. It's sick." I said, covering my face with a sigh.

"What should we do, Noah?" I continued, looking back at Noah, "We can't just leave him there, and contacting the police is out of the question."

"Yeah, with all Dr. Grant's connections there's no way we would win in a trial. Even with solid evidence." Noah spat, crossing his arms.

"We have to do it ourselves, we have to get him out of there Noah. Get him back to the water and to a safe place where Dr. Grant will never find him." I said finally.

"Assuming he wants to be saved." Noah added.

I paused. "What do you mean?" I asked, sitting back to listen.

"Well...you said that he let himself get captured right?" Noah started, waiting for me to nod before he continued, "And that he stuck around despite the possibility of being captured again. He must have some sort of motive to stay, and if we're going to do this, we need his full cooperation." He said finally.

I let out a breath, "You're right."

"I'll talk to him." I said after a few moments, thinking of the next time I will see the creature. "I can talk to him tomorrow when I go back to the compound."

Noah nodded, "Just be sure nobody can hear you when you do, the last thing we need is to have Hunter suspect anything."

I nodded in agreement, "Once we get the creature out, I know the perfect place for him to go."

"Good. I have a plan, but I need to make a few calls. Do you think he can last another day or two?"

"Yeah, I think so." I said, hoping that was true.

"And you?" Noah asked, leaning in to regard me. "Can you last?" He added meaningfully.

My mind replayed the agonizing cries of the creature as he transformed to save me, and my chest ached.

I didn't want to go back and become the source of his pain once again. But I needed to talk to him, and I needed to get him out of there. And I could only do that from the inside.

I let out a breath, "Yes, I'll do whatever it takes."

Noah could see how my face fell and put his hand on mine that rested on the table. I looked up to meet his gaze.

"It's okay Lani, we can do this." Noah said softly and I nodded. I really hoped we would be able to pull this off because if we failed, I would have made things much much worse.

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

4.8M 255K 34
Those who were taken... They never came back, dragged beneath the waves never to return. Their haunting screams were a symbol of their horrific death...
Divagate Lucie L

Научная фантастика

1K 74 31
"We've got to move." Darwin hisses while pushing me through the hole in the fence. "What happened?" I manage through the lump in my throat. Darwi...
888 121 24
"If her head wasn't stuck under water she would have wailed and cried. Her body trembling. She had no sense of self. Hardly noticed that the water's...
Water B. R. Robinson

Фэнтези

378 4 75
Think you know mermaids? Think again. (Think underwater Twilight) **** "Our waters are changing. We've known it for a while now. We can sense it. We...