Class 1-C: Enigma

By Shadow_Sovereign7

They were nobodies, they thought that was their weakness, but in reality, it was their true strength. UA gave... More

Prologue
Suit Up
Raring to Go!
To Kill A Nomu
Enigma HQ
Days Off
Surveillance

All Plans Go Awry

33 2 0
By Shadow_Sovereign7

"We're like 3 miles away!" Kalen Campbell scoffed, adjusting the eyepiece on his helmet to zoom in on their target.

"I can make it," Kazumi assured her sniping companion, pulling out her sidearm, what appeared to be a VP9 Match from Heckler & Koch. It was specifically made for her by Saturn Six and it interacted with her armor.

Pulling off a piece from her shoulder, the modular armor plating changed shape, attaching to the gun, lengthening the barrel, another piece added a scope. The process continued until Kazumi was holding what looked like an AWM sniper rifle.

"But I can't. If something goes wrong in there I won't be able to get a good shot off."

Kazumi reached for her chest, the armor opening a compartment for her to reach into, withdrawing a small rubber ball and a steel ball bearing.

"Isn't plasma just energy? Why can't you fire from an infinite range?" Kazumi asked, using her fingers to knead the two materials together, their consistency both turning into that of a soft putty. Eventually the blob was formed into a unique bullet in her hands.

"You know how much energy it takes to maintain plasma?! In an atmosphere?! I can barely shoot something a hundred meters away without draining all the heat and energy from my body. Shooting at 3 miles? I'd be dead before the plasma reached its target." The Scottish in Kalen's voice became more and more pronounced as he got more emotional about it.

"Hmph," Kazumi shook her head. "Not much of a ranged fighter then."

"No... but I told Oka- Wolf, I told Wolf..." Kalen quickly corrected himself doing his best to not break the first rule to follow when on a mission - only use codenames. "I think Wolf heard it differently than I said it. When I said, 'I'm not that great at long ranges,' I'm thinking he assumed that I just hadn't trained enough, and that some of your sniping ability would rub off."

Kazumi let a rare smile slip out, a colder one than even Endo could produce. "Well luckily for the mission, I don't need you."

Kalen crossed his arms, muttering under his breath as he triple-checked the stairwell. They were stationed three miles, obviously, away from the Yakuza owned building full of stolen tech. And, of course, like most of the buildings in the area, the one Kazumi and Kalen found themselves on was abandoned.

That didn't mean that Kalen wasn't creeped out though. He found the slightly flooded city eerie as the team passed through it. It wasn't completely empty, as many Public Heroes were going from sector to sector to search for anyone in need of help, which was why they needed to keep close watch of their surroundings, as a Public Hero could easily screw up their plan for the Yakuza raid by being less than subtle.

Their uniforms all came equipped with some sort of badge. One that would identify them as exactly who they said they were, "Enigma." It would mark them as government agents and essentially request that they be left alone. But Edgeshot told the team to only use those as a last resort. Stealth was the goal, after all, so they needed to hide themselves from friend and foe.

Kazumi reached up to her helmet/mask, a smooth navy blue face-plate reminiscent of Red-Hood, and called in her position. "Wolf, this is Authority, we're good to go."

"Copy that. We're just waiting on Beat."

"Why the hell was I made the tech guy?!" Danji cried, furiously setting up the team's personal network.

"Because Endo was the tech guy but he got the sniffles," Rhea complained.

"Roku, not Endo," Okami corrected.

"Dammit," Rhea cursed. "I hate codenames."

"Just send me and the heavy hitters in," Kaito demanded, standing alongside Will in his massive power armor in an abandoned building just on the other side of the Yakuza's base. "We can take 'em."

Okami had to resist the urge to roll his eyes. This was the third time the assault team had requested a full frontal attack on the Yakuza.

"Negative, Rend. Our orders were to handle this quietly. If something goes wrong, feel free to save our butts. Until then, just chill out and let us handle it."

"Ugh finally!" Danji cried. "Alright, everyone's hooked up to the Saturn Six satellites. I'm monitoring everyone's position. We are good to go!"

"Infest, you're up," Okami reported.

Yuuki smiled. "See ya later boys," She said, leaving the assault team behind as she activated her Quirk.

Her face changed to that of a not-so-random Japanese girl, with bruises and cuts peppered along her body. These were nothing but illusions created by Yuuki's Quirk, Infiltrate, which allowed her to shapeshift to a limited extent. It was incapable of changing the size or shape of her clothing though, which was where the Saturn Six tech came in.

Whereas others on the team got full body armor or even just a mask to hide their face, All Yuuki got was a dress and a pair of heels. They looked expensive and extremely fashionable, but they weren't practical, or that was the appearance they gave off. In truth, they were capable of changing form alongside Yuuki thanks to the fibers being woven in with bits of her DNA.

If there was ever a perfect stealth operative, it was Yuuki. She didn't even need something to hide her face because her face was her mask, and she never wore the same face twice.

Pretending to stumble out into the flooded streets, Yuuki approached the door of the Yakuza building, her clothing appearing torn and frayed.

The building only had one ground level entrance, guarded by a single man in a two-piece suit. He looked extremely out of place, standing in knee-deep water in such respectable clothing. The team was initially suspicious about only one person standing guard to the entrance, but then they found out his identity.

Lynn Tomo was in possession of the Quirk, Distraction. Basically, if he wanted someone to ignore him and his building, all he had to do was activate his Quirk and everyone would be on their merry way. The range was practically infinite and so far there had been no apparent way to resist it. If the team wasn't careful with him, they would all get turned away without so much as a chance to complete the mission quietly. Which was why Yuuki was Enigma's opening act.

"D-Dad?" She called out weakly to the man across the street.

Lynn's eyes shot open. "Nia?!" He began rushing through the water. "What the hell are you doing here?! Are you okay?!"

"I-I came to visit some friends a-and the tsunami..." She trailed off as the man got closer.

"Oh my god... okay we're gonna get you outta here." He reached up to his earpiece, about to radio someone to call the Heroes for help. But before he could get a single word out, Yuuki jammed an autoinjector into his neck.

"Wha..." Lynn went limp, forcing Yuuki to gently lower him into the water and pull him into the building where the assault team was.

She yanked off his earpiece and began shapeshifting to fit his appearance and clothing. "Ugh... I hate men... too bulky," She complained, rolling her shoulders. "How do I sound?"

"Exactly like him," Kaito confirmed.

Yuuki not only needed to get close to the man to knock him out, but also to copy his voice if she needed to report to the rest of the Yakuza.

"Thanks for that little gift, Reine," Yuuki said to Rhea.

"It's nothing much," She responded humbly. "The real job comes next."

"Still, I might have to ask to borrow some more of that night-night juice. I have some pretty bad insomnia."

"There is no way it's safe to give you sedatives," Kaito teased.

"No," Yuuki corrected, "there's no way it's safe to give Sen sedatives. We'd all wake up with dicks on our faces."

The fairy girl giggled happily, her mirth apparent even behind the blur that hid her face like a heat mirage.

"Let's focus up," Okami ordered as Yuuki took her place in front of the building's door. It looked like nothing had changed. "Infest, no one leaves the building."

"Yeah yeah, I know."

Okami turned to Rhea, both sitting patiently atop the roof next to the Yakuza building. "Try not to scream when we jump," He said, his body morphing, growing long, dark hairs. His feet and hands turned into gnarly clawed talons, and his face mask, a simple silver design to hide his identity, began to change. It went from a flat decorated surface, to a long snout-like shape to fit Okami's growing jaws. Within seconds, Okami had become a werewolf. His Quirk was as simple as that.

"Ready when you are, Authority. Are you sure the bullet won't kill him?"

Kazumi, three miles away, smiled, racking the bullet she had created into her rifle. "It won't kill him. We'll just have to settle for brain damage."

"Wait wha-"

"Firing," Kazumi said, aiming high and against the wind as she pulled the trigger.

The rifle silently spat out a bullet, traveling over the speed of sound. All so that it could land squarely on the temple of the guard positioned on the roof of the Yakuza's building. At the same time he collapsed, Okami, with Rhea holding tight on her piggyback ride from hide, leapt across the gap between the two buildings.

Rhea, who had a mild fear of heights, had to resist the urge to scream as they sailed through the sky for a sparse moment, landing just next to the downed criminal with the silence of a cat. Okami's paws were perfect for jumping without making a sound.

Unfortunately, the body hitting the roof did make a thump.

"Roof? Report in, what was that?" The guys on the inside asked. Thankfully, Yuuki had been listening in on the comms, copying the voices of most people in the building.

"Goddammit!" Yuuki yelled, mimicking the roof guard's voice. "I tripped on my goddamn shoelaces." Yuuki swore up and down like a sailor, getting a laugh from the comms and easing suspicion. Eventually, everyone went back to what they were doing without a concern for their safety.

Meanwhile, on the roof, Rhea was hooking up a few tubes to the roof's air ventilation units.

"You can handle this?" Okami asked.

"Well it would be a little late to back out," Rhea responded, making sure her mask, a futuristic looking gas mask, was air tight. And then, she activated her Quirk, Basilisk.

In the past, Rhea had only been able to use her Quirk to excrete a purple mist, capable of poisoning anyone who breathed it in. It was a powerful wide range attack that not even Rhea herself was immune to. It was bad for Hero work, and it was the reason she failed the Entrance Exam so miserably, only getting into Class 1-C because of Midnight, who had a Quirk that was similar in nature.

However, over the past couple weeks she spent training relentlessly, she had managed to gain control of her poison's different effects. Now she could change the color, limit the severity, and even change the effect from respiratory distress, to a simple sleep gas. Thanks to Saturn Six she'd also been able to concentrate her Quirk into liquid form, which was what Yuuki had used moments earlier.

And now, with both the roof and front entrance secure, Rhea started pumping her anesthetic gas into the building.

Kazumi reported a few of the members standing up in a panic as they realized what was happening, but they passed into unconsciousness before they could do anything. By the time it reached the second floor, Yuuki was stepping away from the building, not wanting to get caught up in any of the gasses leaking out.

"They're out," Kazumi and Kalen reported.

"Assault team, move in to secure the stolen tech. When you've confirmed its existence we'll radio in the Public Heroes and the police."

Kaito sighed, "No action, huh?"

Will patted him on the shoulder with a bit too much force from his exo-suit. "Maybe next time, bro."

With that, the assault team took over the mission. Thankfully, those on the squad all had some form of air filter in their masks or helmets, so Rhea's gas wouldn't affect them.

"It's a vault on the second floor. I'd recommend the stairs instead of the elevator. Unless you guys wanna get stuck in a partially flooded metal box."

"You kidding?" Will asked. "I can barely fit this suit through a doorway, you want me to walk up the stairs with it?"

"Hey, it's your choice."

Will grumbled as their squad sloshed through the lobby of the first floor, making it to the stairs and climbing the mercifully short set of stairs to the second floor.

"Got eyes on it," Kaito reported, spotting the massive metal door hiding the stolen goods.

"Give me a few and I'll have it open," Will said, walking up to the door and placing both hands against it.

Almost immediately, the metal began to glow incandescent from the radiation Will's gauntlets were putting out. Fortunately for the team, Will's Quirk, Radioactive, couldn't cause cancer or mutation in cells, so it was basically just direct energy output.

The vault held longer than Will expected, and he was starting to get a little nervous, as he could only output so much radiation in one given instance. He wasn't an infinite supply of energy, after all, just a renewable source.

But with just a little push from Will, the last of the metal's resistance crumbled and it turned to slag, melting away through the floor to reveal the precious stolen tech.

"Confirmed, we've got something here. Looks like it could be-"

Quicker than anyone could even blink, Will went flying through the glass windows of the building, crashing into the flooded streets below. Of course, it wasn't that Will had chosen to jump from the building. Rather, he had been knocked aside with ease. And now, standing where he once stood, was a dark-skinned beast, with an exposed brain. Its beady eyes were now focused on the rest of the assault squad.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.4K 306 18
Being reincarnated as a baby into a fictional world you know nothing about can be pretty disorienting. Especially one with villains running rampant...
321K 11.4K 24
You didn't know that the day you wandered away from your mother was the last time you'd see her. You didn't know that saying the wrong words would g...
18.7K 644 21
An American exchange student joins Class 1-A at the beginning of the first term. But this student has no desire to become a hero, he just wants to li...
86.2K 2.6K 33
A MHA x Reader story. You were born with a very unique quirk. A quirk with a lot of mystery. What it lacked in power, it more than made up for in res...