Celebrity Castaway | COMPLETE...

By Iv_Roo

#1 in Manan stories | As on Apr'24 | *New chapter is published every Sunday at 10-11am IST* Ever heard of the... More

Curtain Raiser
Character Introduction (IMPORTANT!)
1| The End
2| Cold Shoulder
3| Superstar Manik
4| Kidnapped
5| Scandal
6| Face Off
7| Brand MaNan
8| 1st Public Appearance
10| Baes of Showbiz
11| One Favour
12| Page 3 Dinner
13| A Bizarre Offer
14| So Many Lies
15| We Are Pregnant
16| Press Conference
17| Dirty Publicity
18| Hide & Seek
19| Breaking News
20| Gone Too Soon
21| The Farewell
A Little Note on Abhimanyu's Demise
22| Love Pockets
23| Bundle Of Joy
24| Sacrilege
25| The Last Straw
26| Merchants Of Death
27| Ground Zero
28| Take 2
29| The Nightingale
Author's Note: 1
30| Girl On High
31| A Villain Is Born
32| Manan Movie
33| Muhurat Shot
34| Drunken Feelings
35| Rising Phoenix
36| Onscreen Smoke
37| Whackadoodle
38| Showgirl Business
39| Vanity Affair
40| Vogue Girl
41| Queens Rule
42| The Fuckening
43| Surprise, Surprise!
44| Another Malhotra?
45| MaNan vs. ZaNan
46| Awards Night
47| Players
48| Situationship
Miracle of Eid: Happy Announcement!
49| Censored XXX
50| Tabloid Culture
51| Catastrophe
52| A Star Is Born
53| Tipping Point
54| The Heirloom
55| Final Verdict

9| Friend's Trouble

1.7K 287 83
By Iv_Roo

A/N: Hello MaNan Readers, firstly I'd like to request you to READ THIS NOTE CAREFULLY, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT. 

So, as many of you may have read it on my profile, that after watching the KYY S4 trailer, I am as excited as I am surprised, and a little disappointed even, to be honest. Why? Well as you all who are reading this book will have realized, after seeing the trailer, it is quite similar to this story. I mean not only the 'faking a relationship before the media bit' even more (those parts of the story aren't even published from my end yet!). So, naturally I was concerned about a couple of things here:

1) Will my readers still be interested in this story, if what they see on screen, is on the same line?

2) Will my future readers call my work plagiarized or inspired from S4? This would hurt me like hell because, as you all know I started off way before S4 trailer was even out. 

I am glad that a lot of you came in my support and assured me that you will still read this story and give it a fair chance, to which I can only say how truly grateful I feel. Thank you readers, for respecting my effort and my originality and my story and supporting me to keep writing this story. It is only for you guys I have decided to continue with this story & not put it on hold or delete it. 

However, I decided to minimize whatever little overlap possible from my end. I have decided once KYY S4 is released on 2nd Dec (which is also my 40th b'day by the way! :D) I will NOT UPDATE this story for 2 consecutive weekends, so you guys can take 14 days to watch it all and immerse in it and soak it in & love it, and not worry about my updates! So please note the dates, I will not update on the two following Sundays i.e. 4th & 11th Dec, so that when you come back to the story on 18th Dec, you can do so with a fresh mind and feeling a little calm after the overwhelm the show will surely put us in!

Now don't worry, just because I am not updating on those dates, doesn't mean you will get two late updates, it only means, I will give you FOUR UPDATES until 2nd Dec, to compensate for the next two weeks! Yes readers, I truly value the emotion and time you give in to my stories so in no way will I let you guys have the raw end of the deal! So again, please note the dates for my four updates from today until 2nd Dec & please do read the chapters as I update! :D <3

Update 1: Today (19th Nov)

Update 2: Wednesday (23rd Nov)

Update 3: Sunday (27th Nov)

Update 4: Thursday (1st Dec)

Yes you will get updates in every four days in these weeks running to the launch of S4! You can consider this my way of celebrating the return of MaNan after 4 years with you guys + my birthday treat to you all!

I hope you guys aren't disappointed now? Also, readers, please don't stock up the chapters until I publish all 4, so that you can read them together? That would kind of hurt me, because I am trying so hard to make it an experience for you all :)

Lastly, now that I have made you all satisfied (hopefully! :P) can I expect more votes, in-line & overall comments on this chapter? Haha, I love you all. 

Happy Reading! (Yes, finally I am starting the chapter now!)

***

It had been four days since their first public appearance & Zubin had briefed them they could wait for a bit for another. The prime reason being, Manik had outdoors, and all their PR agencies & MaNan fan clubs were still churning & playing around with their premiere photos & videos. Occasionally she was made to re-share a few reels & fan montages tagging Manik to keep the gossip mill running & Manik would similarly make a post now and then with some photo of theirs with some mushy caption & it would trend for a while. With Manik gone & Nyonica paying occasional visits, Nandini was feeling a little settled & had mentally come to accept this sudden change in her life. Having Abhimanyu was a bonus of course, but she was sad to know that Abhimanyu & Mukti had broken up. She knew how serious Abhimanyu was about her. She wondered why they broke up, but Abhimanyu wasn't yet comfortable in sharing & she didn't want to push it either.

She was still trying to contact Smaran but it seemed like he had blocked her & that hurt her. Wasn't he going to give her a chance to explain even? Navya was still unreachable & she was debating whether to take Abhimanyu's help and visit Mangalore to meet them, evading the media. Since Manik wasn't in town, she was still able to keep a low profile; however, before she could even talk to Abhimanyu, a text message from Navya startled her for good.

[Nandini, can I come to meet you? I am in Mumbai. I really need to see you.]

Nandini was both worried and surprised at her text, but she wasn't sure if she was allowed to have visitors in the pent-house. She knew the press was still keeping an eye on them and was looking for an opportunity to dig some dirt on them. However, she couldn't ignore the text either. Navya was her close friend & has been taking care of her in Mangalore & nursing her broken heart, how could she let her be, when she needed her?

She decided to consult with Zubin, Abhimanyu & Nyonica but wanted to keep Manik out of it, since she knew as long as it didn't benefit Manik, he wouldn't be ready to risk anything for her. Upon discussion with them, and upon Nyonica's insistence, Zubin unwillingly agreed to figure out a way with the help of Abhimanyu, to make Nandini meet Navya. It was decided, Navya would come to the apartment as Mukti's assistant, coming to deliver a dress to Nandini that she'd need to wear for a salon launch invite, in a few days.

***

Navya was very intimidated when Zubin had called her to explain everything & tell her that Nandini would like to meet her. She knew Nandini was staying with the superstar Manik Malhotra, but he seemed to live a life that was larger than what Navya could guess in her wildest imagination. Till yesterday, meeting her Nandu, meant a phone call, but today it meant, evading the press, having a fake identity, accompanying PR and fashion folks & requiring security clearances. She cursed her mother for stopping her from travelling to Mumbai that week, had she come & had Nandini stayed in Mangalore, all this wouldn't ever happen to her!

As she slowly entered Manik's pent-house, she was thrilled, excited, intimated & overwhelmed at the same time! Wow. So this is where her heart throb stayed? As a simple girl living in Mangalore, she had only dreamt of taking a selfie outside his ancestral home Jannat, but here she was entering the actual apartment where he lived? It was more than a dream come true for Navya, and she felt too numb to react!

"Navya, I missed you so much" she jumped hearing Nandini's voice from behind her, and as she turned around, Nandini jumped into her embrace. She tightly hug her back, only to realise Nandini was weeping her eyes out. It had been days, since she felt normal, since she felt at home. Navya, brought in with her, a sense of belonging for Nandini, that she didn't realise she was missing so badly.

"Me too, Nandu & I am so so sorry. Had I made it to Mumbai for the training, none of these would have happened to you." she whispered into her ears, shaking herself.

"Navya, I tried contacting you guys, but I couldn't. I wanted to tell you to not believe all this media nonsense, but.." Nandini whimpered.

"We didn't believe it, Nandu. At least I didn't, I promise. I knew you were in trouble, so did Smaran, until he decided to come down to check on you. Then I don't know what happened, but once he returned, he was a changed man. He didn't tell me much about you, except that you were fine & here by choice. Then he did the strangest thing, Nandu. He sacked me from the job!" she cried out.

Nandini was shocked. Why would Smaran sack Navya after returning? She agreed that he was acting weird whenever she called. He kept dodging her calls & then blocked her completely; she thought he was unhappy about the way his face flashed across news channels, when he came to talk to Manik. Maybe he blamed her for his insult & embarrassment, but why Navya?

"Why..why would he do that, Navya? Did you try talking to him?" Nandini pulled back and motioned for Navya to sit down beside her on the couch as they spoke.

"Talk to him? He wouldn't even allow me to enter the office to collect my final settlements, Nandu. It was sent home, along with yours." she whispered, looking down.

"He sacked me too?" Nandini couldn't fathom any of this.

"Not only that, Nandu..err..after the news, your flat owner refused to let you stay, he didn't even wait for you to return. He settled your outstanding rent with your security deposit & had asked your flatmates to throw out all your stuff. Thankfully, they were kind enough to inform me, so I went & collected all your stuff & kept it in my house don't worry" Navya pacified her. Nandini was flabbergasted to hear this. Here she was dying to go back to her old life, to her home, and now she was told, there was nothing left for her there? Mangalore was suddenly as unknown and unwelcoming of her, as Mumbai. Where would she go now? She had rebuilt her entire life there, what was there for her to look forward to now? Nandini didn't even realise she was back to ground zero.

All it took was Manik Malhotra and her to be under one roof for one day in a hotel in Mumbai, for her to lose everything. It was like, in the highlights of the famous Manik Malhotra's life, her life was worth nothing! It was as good as collateral damage. Her years of effort had no value at all. Nandini shuddered in shock.

After a while, with Navya's comforting words, Nandini silently wiped her tears & looked at Navya. In her moment of self pity, she had forgotten Navya was in trouble too, that's why she was here, wasn't she? What kind of a selfish friend would she be, if she forgot about her in her own pity?

"Navya, leave all this. You tell me, what brought you here? I tried reaching you so many times, but you never received my calls. Is everything alright with you? How are things with Harshad?" she enquired softly, and the way Navya's eyes pooled with tears, Nandini was sure, there was more bad news coming up.

"Nandu, I'm so sorry, but after the news about you, my mother..you know how conservative she is, she wouldn't let me contact you. My rishta with Harshad ji was new, and my mother feared, my closeness with you would affect it adversely. Of course the local news was terribly villanising your character, linking you with every man you interacted with, in Mangalore. So initially, that's why you couldn't reach me, but later some local news agency got to know about our friendship & had approached Harshad ji with some money. If I were to vouch against you, maligning your character on local news, then they'd pay us. I refused of course, and that led to a row between us. I thought if the elders of both our families got involved & told Harshad ji, it was a wrong move, he'd understand; but imagine my shock when after hearing everything all of them, including my mother wanted me to go ahead and do it. They weren't in it for the money, they were in it because they truly believed all the shit they said about you on the news! When I violently disagreed with all this, Harshad ji called off our alliance & in shame of a called off wedding, my mother threw me out of her own house. Now without a job, or a house, I didn't know what to do Nandu. I felt unsafe in my own hometown. That's why I decided to reach out to you for help. I know you're in a lot of trouble Nandu, but if I had a choice I'd never..." Navya whispered, unable to continue & Nandini quickly took her in her embrace.

"You did the right thing, Navya & I'm so sorry you had to go through all of this, because of me" cried Nandini. She didn't know how to help Navya, but if there was one thing for sure, it was this. She wasn't going to let Navya down.

***

Nandini glanced at the guest room to check if Navya was resting. To her relief she was sleeping. Nandini walked back to the living room & paced up and down wondering who she could reach out for help. She didn't know many people here & she wanted to keep Manik out of it. If Manik had to be kept out, Cabir couldn't be informed either & neither did she want to burden Nyonica with more of her problems. She couldn't keep Navya with Abhimanyu, knowing Soha was looking out for him, she didn't want another of her loved ones' in that psycho woman's radar; then whom? Zubin? Could she trust him for more? Afterall he was working for Manik & dating Mukti; if he smelled trouble, he'd straight go to them! Nandini was scratching her chin, deep in thought, when the butler informed her that they had a guest at the door. Nandini wondered who'd it be, when Abhimanyu walked in to inform her, with a startled expression, that Aryamann Khanna had come in without an appointment!

"..but did you tell him, Manik is travelling?" Nandini asked, distracted by her own issues.

"Yes, I did. Apparently, he has come to visit you, Nandu" Abhimanyu replied, trying to sound less surprised.

"Me?" Nandini wondered aloud, before asking him to let Aryamann in. Nandini sat on the couch, fixing her hair consciously. She was at home in her pyjamas, about to meet a star like Aryamann Khurana; her life didn't feel real anymore!

"If it isn't my favourite fangirl" soon a friendly voice greeted her, and she looked up to see Aryamann walking in; thankfully he was also casually dressed in shorts & a polo necked tee, with a cap on his head.

"To what do I owe such a fan moment, Aryamann?" Nandini smiled brightly, seeing him. There was something about this man, his presence always brightened her mood. He had such a nice, warm, friendly vibe.

"Would you buy it if I said I was passing by & decided to drop by and say hello to a cutie new friend I made recently?" he chuckled.

"I'd think you're up to something" giggled Nandini. It was easy being around Aryamann, he made her forget her problems for the moment. For starters, he knew her & Manik's ugly reality, but he didn't seem to judge her for it. Add to that, this drop dead gorgeous look & charming words, he could make any girls' heart beat faster. There was a reason, he was a strong contemporary to Manik Malhotra, despite coming into films much later.

"Damn, then I just have to come out with the truth, isn't it?" he snickered & Nandini laughed encouraging him.

"Okay, here goes. So the thing is, as you know, friendship day is round the corner & my producer has chosen this occasion for my new film's poster launch; but the problem is, while we have locked the artwork & the script & the locations, we are still look-testing for the heroine..so for the poster launch, in order to cover up for not introducing the heroine, we thought it'd be a great idea to promote it on the theme of friendship..so I guess, what I am trying to say is, will you be open to come with me for the event as my friend, and together we can do a segment on friendship by playing a game or two, everything will be scripted of course, and then announce the new film & launch the poster?" he asked, with hope, looking at Nandini.

To say the least, Nandini was stumped. This was literally the second time she was meeting Aryamann Khanna, and he was asking her to join him in launching his new movie poster? That too as his close friend? Her confusion was very apparent on her face, since Aryamann decided to clarify his point even before she responded.

"Wait, before you tag me as a creep in your head, hear me out. So, honestly, I could have asked Alia or Soha or Jeff or Fatima or for that matter any of my co-stars to come with me, but no matter who I choose, I will be linked with that person for the next couple of months, there will be rumours about us dating & no matter what I say, in all my promotions for the films, it is my personal life that will me under the press attention. I hate it when producers spend money promoting films and the movie gets sidelined in wake of the star's personal life. You see, this movie is special to me, we are launching a new face with it, and I want the media to not get distracted with anything else when I'm promoting the movie. With you, everyone believes, you and Manik have just reconciled; you guys are in love, your PR is going out of their ways to promote that, hence if I introduce you as a friend, there is no room for rumours between us & it's not going to affect brand Manik in any detrimental way, so I was hoping that you could help me?" he asked again with pleading hopeful eyes.

Nandini thought about it. Her rational sense told her to not trust someone like Aryamann because she barely knew him, and it made no sense for Aryamann to approach her, considering the coldness Manik threw towards him in the premiere; but there was something about this guy that made Nandini instinctively believe him. He wasn't going to harm her.

"Can't you consider taking an actual friend with you?" Nandini enquired, after a while; she didn't know what button she pressed, but for the first time Aryamann looked a little down, as he smiled a little. It wasn't a happy smile, it was a reflective one.

"Success in showbiz will earn you a lot of things, Nandini, but not true friends. Unlike Manik, I wasn't born on the lap of showbiz royalty, I am an outsider. I struggled to reach where I am, and when you meet the kind of success us actors get in the industry, you lose a lot on the way. Your old friends envy you, or cannot relate to you anymore & your new industry friends aren't really your friends to begin with; everyone owes everyone a favour. In this mess, Nandini, I will be honest with you. When I met you at the premiere, I saw some kind of honesty in your eyes. You were with Manik to clean up his image, yet you weren't his puppet; you looked like you were with him, doing him a favour & not the other way round. I felt I could trust you. It's an instinct, but it is strong. I figured, not only you joining me for the poster launch will help me in so many ways I told you, but I also feel, it will be a chance for us to actually try & see if we can be friends. I think I'd like to have you as my friend, for real, Nandini Murthy; the question is, would you trust me enough to try?" Aryamann asked gently, looking absolutely honest, and before she could think it through, Nandini found herself slowly nodding in affirmation.

"Ahem" Abhimanyu's cough made Nandini realise where she was, and she looked at him inquiringly. He didn't look convinced.

"Nandini, I don't think you should agree to go to any PR event with him without consulting Manik sir or Zubin" he advised her. Nandini nodded in agreement & looked at Aryamann. He nodded his head in understanding.

"Of course. I wouldn't have asked you to tell me your decision before consulting them, either. Please talk to them and let me know. Also, Nandini, whether you agree to this or not, always remember, my offer for friendship will always be open for you!" Aryamann smiled, before getting up to leave.

"Aryamann?" Nandini called out to him, and he stopped and turned back to face her. "I don't need Manik Malhotra's permission to be friends with you." she spoke softly, but her eyes twinkled with a smile playing on her lips.

Aryamann took a moment to register that, and once he did, a broad smile played on his lips, as he came to her & engulfed her in a huge bear hug. "I promise, you won't regret this ever" he whispered.

"I'm counting on that" Nandini replied with a smile, before Aryamann finally bid her goodbye and left. Nandini looked at Abhimanyu who was still looking unsure.

"What?" Nandini asked, holding his arms in hers. "I can't trust him so easily." he muttered. "..and Manik? Do you trust him with me?" Nandini asked with a tender smile.

Abhimanyu had a strange smile on his lips, as he said, "Strangely, despite everything he has done & is still doing with you. I do. I know he uses you, but I have seen it that he never harmed you & he never will either, neither you, nor me" said Abhimanyu thoughtfully.

"I am sorry to burst your bubble Abhimanyu, but your Manik sir, refused to protect you, despite knowing you were in trouble trying to save me. In fact he made a deal, that he'd protect you, if I agreed to be a part of this charade of his, to keep his image intact" Nandini told Abhimanyu in a morose voice; but much to her dismay, he looked amused.

"Is that how he got you to agree to play along?" he asked, hiding a chuckle. "I kept wondering how he managed that.."

"Why else would I agree?" Nandini asked, defiantly.

"Nandini, the moment Mahesh ji informed me he was attacked and you went missing; I panicked & called Manik sir, thinking Soha maám had gotten her hands on you. He of course told me, it was them; but from then on, he has been protecting me!" he told her honestly.

"Then why'd he..?" Nandini began and stopped realising Manik's trick.

"Nandini, I know, now you don't feel obligated to play along anymore, but do it anyway? You still love him right?" Abhimanyu whispered, looking at her. It hurt her to see that Manik lied to make her agree, instead of simply requesting her. She did love him & however begrudgingly, she would have helped him, had he just requested. She supposed Manik Malhotra neither thought she was trustworthy nor saw her as a close ally to ask for a favour.

"Don't worry Abhimanyu. I will help him. Not only because I love him, but also because he helped you before I even asked him to." she replied, softly.

***

Word Count: 3,340

A/N: So readers, your thoughts?

1. How do you find the Nandini-Navya dynamics? Are you looking forward to more? How do you feel about Nandini losing her home in Mangalore & truly being stuck without a sense of belonging anywhere?

2. So, Nandini & Aryamann are going to be friends haan? ;) What are your thoughts? Are you guys having some ideas? Tell me, tell me :P

3. So Manik Malhotra was helping Abhimanyu with or without Nandini negotiating with him? What are your thoughts on this? He's a big baddie or is he a big baddie with a tiny bit of a heart? 

4. How do you feel about Nandini -Abhimanyu bond? What are your views on Abhimanyu having some faith in Manik? Do you think it is justified?

Lastly, anything you specifically like dislike about the chapter? What are you anticipating for the future? Readers do share you thoughts because that is what I literally wait for all week; to hear from you guys, so when you guys don't vote or comment, it kinda makes me sad :(

Anyway, also do note, now the chapters are only going to get longer! :P (Please bear with your writer!)

Next update: Wednesday (23rd Nov)

Stray tuned!

Bask in the MaNan love, meanwhile!

Love always,

Your writer,

A. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.9K 6.3K 35
Synopsis: What happens when a lawyer with very little discretion meets a player boy? Amidst the flush of ego, attraction, seduction and a hell lot o...
33.1K 3.6K 41
08/01/2021 - 24/06/2022 Nandani Taylor from Shimla is an epitome of beauty starting as first year student in Rosemary field. She is gorgeous, she is...
214K 15.3K 72
It's a story about a couple MANAN where husband never thinks beyond his business and singing and wife is craving for his love, care and attention. It...
64.7K 4.5K 23
LOVE BY ACCIDENT ✔️ At a point..in everyone's life..where everything is going wrong..and we know that..this is what we have to live with all our live...