The Discreet Charm of Lady Ma...

By EmilyMorgans

John Osborne has a promising career with the War Office and lacks for nothing. Except, possibly, a wife. Unfo... More

Foreword
Chapter 1: A Mere Friend
Chapter 2: The Case
Chapter 3: Brooding
Chapter 4: Welcome to the Party
Chapter 5: Dull
Chapter 6: Bed Sharing
Chapter 7: Searching
Chapter 8: Game Night
Chapter 9: Dash It All
Chapter 10: Getting Acquainted
Chapter 11: Morning Awkwardness
Chapter 12: The Maze
Chapter 13: The Maze (Again)
Chapter 14: For Now
Chapter 16: Worship (part 2)
Chapter 17: Sisters
Chapter 18: This Is It
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 15: Worship (part 1)

6.2K 435 35
By EmilyMorgans

John slipped into the library he had visited with Mary the other day. So much had changed since then. The woman he had found so vexing had turned out to be exactly what he had always wanted. What he needed. Someone to challenge him. Mary was everything he could ever want, and he had been a fool not to see it earlier.

His antagonism towards her had been grounded in his attraction, something he had not wanted to acknowledge when he fancied himself with Olivia. Now that he'd accepted his feelings for Mary, he saw what his feelings for Olivia truly were. Naive worship of an ideal he had imagined for himself. In reality, Olivia never would have been able to live up to it. No one could. And that would have been unfair to everyone involved.

But Mary was everything he could ever want. She was real. His feelings for her were strong and true. He saw her for who she was. Not an ideal, but a real woman with actual strengths and flaws. Not to be put on a pedestal and worshipped from afar, but kept by his side as an equal. Or in his arms. His skin heated at the memory of her coming apart beneath his touch. That had been glorious.

It was mortifying to remember how he had finished too early when they finally made love. Lovemaking was new to him, and he had been too far gone by the time they got there, too excited by the sight of her, the feel of her. He vowed to do better next time. There were so many things he wanted to do and never had, and he wanted to do them with Mary.

He just had to convince her to marry him.

The door opening interrupted his thoughts, and Dash came inside. The other man was still wearing the same clothes as he had last night, and his dark hair was an unruly mess as if someone had run their hand through it one too many times. Or too many people had run their hands through it. Their lives could not be more different. While Dash seemed to revel in bedding as many women as possible, John couldn't imagine anything worse. He wanted no one other than Mary, more than content to be with only one woman for the rest of his life.

With a yawn, Dash walked over to a cabinet and found himself a brandy snifter and a bottle. Pouring himself a drink, he took a sip before looking at John. "Morning."

"It's noon."

Dash shrugged. "It's morning for me."

"Yes, I can see that you come straight from bed. Couldn't even be bothered changing clothes?"

"It wasn't my bed," Dash said with a grin.

"Good night?" John asked politely, even as he doubted he truly wanted to know. Whatever depravities Hayes and his guests got up to during the private gatherings wasn't something he cared about.

"Yes," Dash said as he put the glass and bottle down. "I rather think so."

John made a wry face. Leaning his hips against the desk, he crossed his arms over his chest. "Did you find anything out?"

"Ah yes. I didn't see Lady Jane, but I found this." Dash fished something out from a pocket and handed it over.

Taking the letter, John opened it and scanned its contents. He pressed his lips together. This was why the War Office had asked him to investigate. Hayes was in contact—and supporting—the men up north who demanded voting rights for all men, not only wealthy landowners. The government was concerned about the amount of support the movement was gaining and had been keeping tabs on them for some time now.

"Thank you." He put the letter in his own pocket so he could decide what to do with it. Technically, he must tell the War Office, but the truth was that he wasn't really against the idea of the right to vote for all. He could see the validity of the arguments made. Why should every decision be made by so few, and by people so far removed from the average worker? It didn't seem like the worst thing if more people could vote.

"Does that help you?" Dash asked.

"It might." John sighed. "Other than Mary believing she saw Jane in a window last night, there has been no sign of her here. Maybe she's somewhere else. But where?"

Dash ran a hand through his dark hair. "Honestly, it's for the best that she was not at the private gathering. This way, at least there is still a chance to save her reputation if—when—you find her. Who knows"—he flashed a quick grin—"maybe we will find her back at home and it turns out she just went for a walk and got lost."

"That hardly seems likely."

"No. But it's a more palatable possibility than her being mixed up with Hayes and his proclivities."

"Which ones?" John arched an eyebrow. "The ones in this letter, or the ones at the party?"

Dash chuckled. "The party. Though, to be fair, I have not seen Hayes partake since I got here. Maybe he truly is in love with her. But then, where is she? Hidden away in a room far from the rest of the guests?"

"Are there any left? There's quite a lot of people visiting."

"It's not impossible." Dash stifled another yawn before giving him a sly look. "How did you and Mary spend the rest of the night after I left?"

Feeling his neck heat, John looked away. Dash chuckled.

"I will marry her," John said.

"I'd expect nothing less from you." The amused glitter in Dash's eyes annoyed him.

"It is not such a bad thing to be honourable."

"It's not," Dash agreed. "I never said it was."

"We can't all be rakes," John muttered.

His friend laughed. "Thank God. The competition would be far too fierce!"

John only grunted. This wasn't necessarily a discussion he cared for. "I will return to Mary. Let me know if you find anything else out. I may try to search the house tonight when everyone is downstairs for the evening's entertainment if I can avoid Hayes noticing."

"He definitely seems to pay attention to you and Mary. It's just too clear that you don't quite belong here, and he's picked up on that."

"Surely it can't be that clear? We're taking part more than I'm comfortable with."

"It's getting better, but you would have given yourself away had you chosen Mary to go into the maze yesterday," Dash pointed out. "Most guests here are happy to... sample others."

John wrinkled his nose at the thought. He wanted no one else. Dash noticed and laughed.

"And that," he said, "is exactly why Hayes is suspicious of you."

"I'm sorry I don't feel comfortable bedding just any woman in my path," John said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

Dash huffed. "I don't bed just anyone. Just plenty." He grinned when John rolled his eyes.

Deciding that the best option was to walk away, John gave his friend a nod before leaving. Making his way through the quiet house—most of its inhabitants still asleep—his thoughts returned to Mary. And how he could convince her he was in this. That he wanted her and no one else. He was still pondering his options when he stepped into their shared room and closed the door behind him.

He froze as he caught sight of Mary in the middle of the room. She sat in a copper tub filled with water, her sable hair piled high atop her head. Drops of water glistened on her chest in the sunlight filtering in from the window. He swallowed as his gaze followed a drop of water as it made its way through the valley between her breast and down into the water of the tub. She looked amazing leaning against the back of the tub, her eyes closed.

Was she asleep? She hadn't reacted when he came inside. Walking over to the tub, he kneeled beside it.

"Mary?"

Her eyes fluttered open and then widened as she caught sight of him. "Oh! John!" Her cheeks were already rosy from the heat of the water, but he could have sworn they darkened a shade. "I must have nodded off. A maid kindly offered a bath and I couldn't resist."

"Don't apologise on my behalf." Lifting his hand to run his thumb across her bottom lip, he smiled. "I am rather enjoying this treat."

The pink of her cheeks definitely deepened then. Letting his hand drop to her shoulder, he traced the line of her collarbone before dipping lower, following the path of another bead of water as it wound its way down her chest. When it slid over her breast and settled by her nipple—hard from the cooler air above the heated water—he leaned forward and licked it, devouring the small drop with a long stroke of his tongue.

Mary inhaled sharply, and when he leaned back, she was staring at him, her lips parted.

"You look too delectable," he said with a teasing grin. "Are you finished?"

She nodded.

"Then may I suggest you get out? There is something I have always wanted to try, and I owe you for my early finish last night."

A line appeared between her brows. "You don't owe me anything."

"Oh, but I do. And I always settle my debts." His hand cupped her breast, and she bit her lower lip as he grazed her nipple with the pad of his thumb. Touching her was such a marvel. He loved watching her reactions to everything he did. And there were so many more things to explore together.

Forcing himself to stop touching her or he might end up exploring her in the tub—not a terrible idea, but he had other plans—he stood and offered her his hand. Taking it, she allowed him to pull her to her feet, water dripping down her slender form. She was quite the sight, and the need to make her his made him feel as if he might burst into flame if he did not touch her.

She must have noticed him ogling her, but she didn't cover herself. Something he was eternally grateful for. With the sunlight from the window behind her illuminating the curve of her hips and the length of her legs, she looked radiant. Like a sun goddess stepped down from her realm to grace him with her divine presence.

He stepped closer. The scent of her soap tickled his nose. Using the towel, he slowly rubbed her dry, enjoying the little sighs of contentment that escaped her lips while her eyes fluttered close. Once done, he pressed his lips against the damp hair at her temple.

"What now?" she mumbled as she leaned against him.

He wrapped his arms around her before whispering in her ear, "I want to worship your body."

She tilted her head to look at him, the glint in her green eyes intrigued. "Oh?"

"Yes." Sliding his hands down her naked body, he marvelled at how soft her skin was. Reaching down, he put his arm behind her knees and hoisted her into his arms. She yelped and her hold on his shoulders tightened. Taking the few steps to the bed, he laid her down on the covers before stepping back to appreciate the sight of her naked in bed.

A slight smile played across her lips as she watched him admire her, a flush creeping up her skin. With not a little impatience, he untied his cravat and unbuttoned his waistcoat. Once they were on the floor, his boots and stockings soon followed suit, and he pulled his shirt over his head. For now, he left his trousers on. This was all for her, though he knew he would enjoy it immensely.

Climbing into bed, he covered her with his body as he captured her lips in a passionate kiss. Her fingers buried in the hair at the back of his head as she pressed closer to him, her bare body against his. Her soft curves against the flat planes of his chest sent anticipation coursing through him. Abandoning her lips, he nipped at her ear.

"I plan to taste every inch of your body," he vowed. "And I won't stop until you're writhing in my arms."

~~~~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

114K 8.1K 20
Preston Caldwell, Viscount Leighton, has only ever loved one woman, but she is not for him. She's the belle of the ball, the incomparable of the seas...
4.3K 111 35
Catherine Shaw, 26, lives in the countryside of England. She has been living with her aunt after the death of her parents. William Benwick, 28, moved...
1.7M 69.2K 29
After a disastrous first season in London, Rose Wilde finds herself torn between two men who love her -- but who both hide secrets that could ruin he...
476K 22.1K 13
( COMPLETED STORY) What happens when the rakish Lord in the whole of London is truly falling in love with a simple, plain, and most ordinary girl, so...