Paradigm Mine

By RemidyJames

The same story, just from the beginning. if you know the story you already know More

Home
Distance
Our Expanding Universe
The Human Factor
Among Wolves
The Encounter
The White pools
Three absent laws
Murky alliances
Hirathe
Thorimite- Thora-probably
Embircus Ecco Maxius
Sand, water and time
Evermore
The Pools Of Sorrow
'There be no dragons here'
'TriFynn'
Deep White
5.75 minutes = any second

Discovery

13 0 0
By RemidyJames

While Zephyr recovered, Cred stayed on New Ridian. He had accepted the duty of serving the Nevick Empire for some time ago. In that time he single handedly had an impressive capture record.

He clear was valued and deeply respected. For the most part; he was actually happy. This was a first of many firsts, since he had taken the "Banner Of New Ridian." This was a Crest or a glyph that was embossed into their Armor. Much like a badge or an Identifying mark.

Not only did this badge mean a great deal of responsibility to The Emperor, it also meant he became a peaceful person. Something Cred battled with on many occasions. Peace was the mission of the Empire. He knew this fact, and even The Emperor; personally. But "how to stay peaceful" evaded him. It wasn't like the universe was at war.

For hundreds of centuries the universe had been at peace. After the purge of the 'Dark Rain Research Projects;' there was no need. Every race was free and on a different planet or galaxy.

It was this fact alone that kept Cred based at New Ridian. He took part in training new hunters and lending a hand where he could. The honest fact was; As much respect the fellow hunters had for the man, even THEY knew his disposition to violence. Even fewer actually knew that he owed The actual Emperor a life debt. That was something even The Emperor would change the subject with.

These facts were always rolling around in Creds mind when making his decisions. It made him quiet and sarcastic. Which everyone thought he was just arrogant. Nope- classic head case- confirmed.

As he made his way from the docking ring his trademark red sash tugged along with his nimble frame. On Creds armor it appeared to be the only thing decorative. The sash was made from programable matter. It was Designed to look wispy and elegant. It did not have any protective rating.

The way their armor, sword, and helmet looked was a matter of tradition. It was the indoctrination that made these hunters act in the ways in which they did. In Turn each hunter modified their armor and added emblems of Responsibility to their armor to be displayed. These Hero's; as glorious as they stood now in their golden age: The Nevick Empire would Fall.

Back now, on the pathways of New Ridian. In the General commerce area thousands of people milled around in hushed order. There were thousands of such squares in thousands of city's on this planet. Yet in all of them one rule of order was true.

When a Nevick Hunter that had the reputation Cred was building for himself, walked through the public squares, The crowds in respect would Part.

He walked with purpose and he held himself with pride. He wasn't a backwater outer rim kind of bounty hunter. He was better than that he thought. As patrons in the markets he passed caught glance of his helmet design; instantly his rank and Name and latest accomplishments would be brought up to their visual information node. Currently the public could see he held the title "Spec Ops." As far as titles goes; its's a "unicorn" of a Emblem. Less than 30 were given in a Empire 3 billion strong.

Customarily; a slow up and down motion of the head was given towards any Nevick Hunter. Some lower ranking hunter saluted him. He; battled with feelings of being an imposter. Even though he knew that life was behind him.

The honor system of the Nevick empire was parallel to few in their time. To be a Nevick Hunter among the children of the empire was longed for. Trained into their children and passed from generation to generation. Along with the knowledge was eventually items. Of Such Items that fell into this category, was the KorTrat Sword. Far from its original design, it was something that each hunter carried.

The pattern and design would transfer from the mind of the hunter into the block of KorTrat. Pulling the hilt of the sword for the first time with the design in mind, would create these legendary blades. The incredible sharp blade had no weaknesses and It never dulled. It was understood by those like Atomas; who manipulated matter, "All matter can be manipulated." In this case, curiously; the alloy seemed to have a mind and will of its own.

Cred Carried One blade of KorTrat and he rarely drew it. He was a renowned swordsman but he didn't make a spectacle of himself anymore. He possessed atomic manipulation abilities he didn't yet full know or even come close to mastering.

What he lacked in courage to used or manipulate atomic mass; he more that tripled in what he knew with the sword. His sword had been named Einhorn. It meant 'Unicorn.' The joke was, you rarely saw Einhorn too.

His other sword was a popular design of a Falchion. Some possessed barbs on the back of the sword to use for what was their original purpose; to clear bushes and foliage. No bounty hunter who carried a 3ft sword talks about that. Least; not most.

As he entered his apartment he figured he was losing his mind due to his encounter with Ember; There was an elemental and biochemical- bio hacking affinity Cred had developed and had gone unchecked and untested.

His door to his administration level apartment opened with a hiss. As he entered his helmet disengaged. He was only able to take a few steps in before his legs gave out underneath him. It happened so fast; he didn't even know that his legs were kicked out from behind; as instantly he was injected with a paralyzing enzyme. The hissing of the door closing was the last thing he remembered. The next thing he knew he was awake in mind but his body was frozen.

"Don't! Words suck." a voice soothed his core. Her voice was infectious to him. She had a mission of her own, and she carried a message. Ember held him as their minds connected via a Neural link. This technology was new for them to try and communicate with. But with in moments of touching each other; His pursuit of her was over.

He knew he loved her. But he now knew she actually liked him too. Although she was sick and had limited control of what made her consume atomic mass. They shared the feelings of being lovers and being excited as to what might take place. Yet the loving part was yet to come for Cred or Ember. At least that's what Cred was thinking deep down in his soft romantic heart. This was not so. The message that Ember carried for him was that she had had another child. Zephyr being her first with HIM.

Cred was rather confused, so he went to a quiet spot in his mind and just listened. Of which Ironically he had no choice over at this moment. So he asked for just an maybe a name or an explanation. Her Jade green eyes widened and noted his hurt micro expression. She sighed and marveled at the fragile vase this mans ego had become. She reassuringly shared her raw memories.

He being the person that he was; made promises he only hoped he could keep. Via the neural link he promised he would take care of all of her children. She smiled and said softly and explained to him 'When we were in the same room, I Atomically sampled you genetically I suppose. Maybe that's what they wanted me to be able to do?' She thought quietly as Cred tried to figure out how to help her. In the time he had been researching her he was able to decern one thing:

"Reproduction from Ember appeared to be a form of mitosis. One cell (Ember) Suddenly in a burst of light becoming 2."

"Her name is Atiera. She is with Rylit Maximus. She is based off my accidental encounter with him." Again her memories of the encounter were from a distance. Like a blood hound she could Identify someone from over 100 kms away. (as was in the case with Maximus) There was nothing personal or even intimate.

As she explained it was some time ago, Atiera is Closer to 12 Standard years. She seemed worried and stated "Please help her right away." When she said please he would have given her his sword. He nodded slowly and then looking around he realized. "But you and i are in the same room right now." She smiled and slowly embraced him. It appeared Ember seldom, or at least from this moment on; didn't make mistakes. That surprised Cred, But this time; He was ok with it.

Days had passed before the enzyme would clear Cred's system and he would finally regain conciseness. He had a new energy inside of him he couldn't explain. It was like the cells of his body had been realigned. Not only was it much easier to channel his atomic abilities but they were much stronger. Something she would continue to visit and tend to his body like it was her own. In mind and Heart he was married to Ember. What happened in the past was the past. Nothing was hidden between the two. And it served them very well. Ember; for once felt the same.

The Empire tripled in size each year. More planets taking the Safety the Nevick Empire could give them. What the Empire offered was protection and peace. The Empire didn't fail in its promise. A group developed that would try and kill the Nevick Hunter. Therein lies the small fire that would soon engulf the entire system. Encounters with rogue hunters or freelance hunters was never an issue. Weather it be Passing in the street or in space.

This once small hostile group; began to specifically hunted other agents of the Empire. This group of hunters was absent of morals mercy or honor. Despite having a vast fleet and military might, it was all aimed at the eradication of the Nevick Threat. They used a Raven as their Emblem.

History would record them adopting their name from an aftermath report. In most cases, They often arrived in mass numbers and used what ever advantage they could muster.

Some years ago after a particularly brutal encounter, a military defender was quoted in saying 'Turn back and Flee The Ravens are calling and we have lost our positions.' The Ravens Calling was born from these words. As Nevick's Offred only peace. It was clear 'peace' was not possible with the Ravens Calling. Their Roles had now been cast and clearly spelled out.

From this point forward Battle with Ravens Calling was frequent. Designed for peace; Nevicks battle ships often lacked in weapons. It was a difficult to balance both being a police force rather than a military force. They would learn quickly tho.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

258 9 6
This story leads us in time before time, world out of the world, but still in the world. Prepare yourself, cause maybe, just maybe, you are the one t...
43 6 54
In a world full of hunters and monsters, a young hunter wants to become the strongest and uncover the hidden mysteries of the world.
1.1K 8 41
War engulfs many planets that stretch around an entire solar system. Families get torn apart, people become slaves, children are given weapons and de...
Blue Star By bat_thad_10

Science Fiction

66 9 15