LET ME LOVE YOU

By Fateemawahbi

"I know all these cheap tricks you miscreants pull in the name of your disgusting jealousy. I wonder which mo... More

Copyright, Cast and Author's note.
chapter 1 - #oncloudAA
Chapter 2 - babban yaya
Chapter 3 - henna party
Chapter 4 - prissy missy
Chapter 5 - the bomb
Chapter 6 - hell hole
Chapter 7 - surprise visit
chapter 8 - an air of despair
Chapter 9 - Hajiya's Good Books
Chapter 10 - legends league
Chapter 11 - Wednesday
Chapter 12 - responsibility
Chapter 13 - Bride
Chapter 14 - two thorns in the flesh
Chapter 15 - gossipers and clowns
Chapter 16 - no be juju be that?
Chapter 17 - The second madam
Chapter 18 - Good riddance to bad rubbish
Chapter 19 - the (not so) calm before the storm
Chapter 20 - rocks, hard places and the ultimate search.
Chapter 21 - the 'storrinami'
Chapter 22 - the rekindle
Chapter 23 - speculations and taking actions
Chapter 24 - missing piece of the puzzle
Chapter 25 - apologies and volcanic eruptions
Chapter 26 - closing the cycle
Chapter 27 - matchmakers
Chapter 28 - Guardian angel
Chapter 29 - 12th November
Chapter 30 - couple goals
Chapter 31 - paradise
Chapter 32 - city of love
Chapter 33 - trouble in paradise.
Chapter 34 - a pity
Chapter 35 - better late than never
Chapter 36 - lost in his eyes
Chapter 37 - Euphoria
Chapter 38 - Hurricane Aya
Chapter 39 - trouble around the corner
Chapter 40 - pet peeves and emotions
Chapter 41 - cruella deville
Chapter 42 - bombshell
Chapter 43 - sobfests and secrets
Chapter 44 - The return
Chapter 45 - broken in pieces
Chapter 46 - the knight in a shining....sweatpants
Chapter 47 - Extreme lenghts
Chapter 48 - ambivalence
Chapter 50 - new beginnings
Chapter 51 - no regrets
Chapter 52 - The 'Talk'

Chapter 49 - illusion

2.4K 352 203
By Fateemawahbi

Aya

"I still don't understand why you want to listen to her Wallahi," said Anas as we walked into the Gynecology section, side by side "for your life you no dey vex?"

I chuckled at that last part without even knowing. It was a normal thing whenever Anas was involved, how someone could look so serious yet be a complete goofball will forever be amazing to me, even if that guy doesn't say anything, his facial expression will make you laugh "I am curious about why she's looking for me, but to be honest with you, I just needed a small distraction from Hajiya and the other two, I felt like they were standing on my throat and blocking my airway,"

It's no news that me and anyone between Hajiya, Aunty Yana and Aunty Aisha in the same room could easily pass off as the worst idea ever. They always found a way to make my life a living hell with something as small as a glare, and I always tried to endure it out of respect for them being my in laws, but I didn't have the strength to do it that day because I was barely even held together, so much was happening, and all at once, so I knew if I had stayed near them for another minute, the thread I was hanging on would've just cut.

"I'm not claiming to be the best person out there, I know I'm not, but what have I ever done to them in this life? I've always tried to stay on my lane and mind my business, but they always find reasons to Insult and come for me," I said "i quit my acting career not only because I was tired of it, but because I was hoping that decision would make them leave me alone for a bit, I thought they would take a small break from the one sided war but Wallahi Anas, from that day, it got even much worse, ko blinking nayi, they must find a reason to complain,"

I finished my little rant at the same time we got into the elevator to go to the second floor. The moment the ride started, I felt my insides spiraling and turning inside out, like I was on some roller coaster, if it had continued for another second, I know I would've hurled my guts out, but thankfully it came to a stop, leaving me with a flushed face and heavy breath.

"Are you okay?" He asked, clearly concerned as we stepped out.

"I'm fine, I guess it was the elevator, the ride made me a bit nauseous" I replied after catching my breath.

"Are you sure? You don't look too good," he insisted "why don't you sit in that lounge? I'll go and get you some water"

"No no it's okay, I'm fine Wallahi, don't worry"

"I don't think it's 'fine' for someone to just turn pink, but if you say so, then okay" He didn't seem to be convinced but because I was persistent, he just let it go "better change color now before we go back, because if they see you like this, they'll have something else to say, especially that Aunty Aisha," he ended that with a hiss "that woman is bad news Wallahi, I actually got into a row with her once"

"Really?" I asked, more interested than shocked because I knew she was very capable of that "when?"

"Like a year ago, just some months before you married Hafeez" he said "she dragged the hell out of me ehhhh!"

Again, I chucked "what did you do to her Toh?"

"Wai na gaishe ta a tsaye; apparently, I greeted her while standing. Till this very day I don't remember when that happened, because ba ma ita na ke kallo ba, I was busy trying to heal from the pain of mistaking swallowing the piece of meat I wasn't done chewing just seconds before that, yet my ancestors still chop insults from all directions," between the way he was saying it and me playing the scene out in my head, I didn't know which was funnier "God knows if she was someone of my age, I would've beat her to a pulp"

Nothing to be surprised about there. One day one day, she will be seen or heard of fighting with either bobrisky or James brown in ikoyi, I just know that she go reach everybody.

"I can't even tell you to be patient because I'm still trying to understand how and why anyone would have a problem with you of all people. I don't know if it's because I absolutely hate 1 sided stuff but I can't even imagine having any sort of issues with you. I can't be losing my shit while you're in your room eating indomie and taking selfies," he said, making me chuckle lightly and the last part "they are projecting their insecurities on to you, and I know it's exhausting, but the best way to treat people like that is by completely ignoring them tunda sai an kula kashi ya ke doyi. Nothing will pain them more than not getting the attention they want from you, so just keep that up. However, if you do decide to rebel and just add a sprinkle of violence, know that your husband is not a lover of peace, he will be in full support"

Oh I knew that!

Hafeez never liked that woman, he never even hid it from anyone. If not for his parents and the upbringing they gave him, he would have flogged her with his charger or something long ago. She was that notorious.

What I didn't 'know' about was him being in support of me over literally anything. Not when he looked at me as nothing but a liability that was forced against him. I wished I knew my place long before things went that far, but I guess it's better late than never. Even though there were things I couldn't control, at least I knew exactly what to expect from then on.

I knew my place.

But my heart didn't.

"Speaking of Hafeez," I started "is he getting any better? I don't know why I feel like everyone is trying to hide something from me,"

"It's Normal for you to feel that way, but I promise you, he's getting so much better,"

"Then why is he in an ICU?"

"Because he just had a major surgery done, and it was very successful. He's just in there to get maximum care and attention," he replied "he will be be fine, and they said he could regain consciousness at any moment. There's nothing to worry about, okay?"

That kinda made me feel relaxed, but not entirely. No matter what anyone says, having someone who is close, or was once close, to you in an ICU is unbearable.

"So are you still going to Layla?" He asked "since you said you just need a distraction, we could take a walk around the hospital,"

"Actually, I want to go," I replied "I'm also curious about why she's looking for me and what she wants to say, I don't know why"

"Here we are then," he said as we stopped in front of a room that had the tag '204' on it "but I'm not going inside,"

"Why not?"

"I can't stand her for even a minute"

"But you were with her throughout her delivery Anas, a tiny minute wouldn't hurt a hair on your head,"

"No, I only went to her after she had the baby, I stood out here with the officers and guarded the door the whole time so she wouldn't escape since it seems everyone in her family is mad, especially that her mom, the way the woman kept looking at me told me that they were planning to try something like that" he said "maybe she's even looking for you to beg for forgiveness so she wouldn't go to jail"

I don't know why but imagining that scene in my head made me laugh.

"I'll be in the lounge when you're done"

I nodded in response to that before he walked away and took a seat in the lounge along with a couple of bulky men, who I assume were the officers. I took a deep breath first before pushing the door open, revealing a seating area with one girl that looked just around my age, it didn't take me long enough to recognize her as one of Layla's friends. I'm not sure what to call her facial expression when she saw me, but it was along the lines of shocked and startled.

"Where's Layla?" I asked the moment I entered, which seemed to have startled her ever more.

"Dan Allah Dan Annabi kuyi hakuri. She just had a baby, at least let her heal and wean her baby first before you come for her, I'm begging you in the name of Allah, she-"

I didn't wait for her to finish, I just headed towards the door on my left and pushed it open, but it happened to be a toilet, so I went back to the one on my right and God so kind, it was the room. She was seated on the king sized bed, holding her baby in her hands as she tried to put it to sleep.

"Farida please be gentle with this door, the sound almost woke him up aga-" she started, probably thinking it was her friend, but when she locked eyes with me, her eyes widened like a stretched elastic band "Aya?"

My attention wasn't on her at that point, I was just pitying that Child. Not only did she stain his entire life by having him out of wedlock despite being married, she herself was a walking abomination. It was so sad that an innocent little baby had to be brought into such massive, disgusting mess.

"I-I thought you were not in the country, When did you-"

"Why were you looking for me?" I asked, cutting her off, at the same time the Farida girl walked into the room also, still looking puzzled, one would think she was even the one that attempted the murder.

"Please leave her alone, What you're doing is not right, you can't be on the neck of a new mother no matter what she did, even if you go to court, nobody will support you in this, you-"

"Can you please just shut the fuck up?!" I was so frustrated that I didn't know when I snapped at her.

"I'm-"

"It's okay Farida," Layla said, cutting her off "I looked for her, I just didn't think that she would actually come"

"Wha-" despite being dark skinned, I could see the blood being drained away from that poor girl's face "you looked for her? Why would you look for anybody in a Situation like this? Wai me ke damun ki ne?"

"I know what I'm doing Farida"

"Can you just say What you have to so I can get out of here? Or are you trying to waste my time?" I raised an eyebrow after the last part.

"No, not at all. I do have something important to talk to you about" she replied "do you mind sitting down?"

"Speak!"

She sighed and carefully dropped her baby in the cot next to her before once again turning to look at me.

"I want us to strike a deal," she started "save me from going to jail, and I promise, I will leave you and your husband alone for the rest of your lives"

The kind of laugh I wanted to laugh when I heard that would've been legendary, but for some reason nothing came out. I just stood there like a confused Mumu, before I managed to gather my words.

"You kidnapped someone, tried to force him to transfer his property to you and then shot him when you didn't get your way, yet you're looking at me in the eyes and telling me to save you from going jail?" I was honestly amused, her audacity was a movie for me

"Look, you're not doing it for me if that's what you're thinking, it's more like you're doing it for yourself and your family," she replied "you can name a price, no matter how much it is, you will get it, just stop them from arresting and charging me, and I will leave you alone like I said I would, but if you let me get arrested, I will find my way out myself and I promise you, that's when you'll get to know who the real Layla is, so don't fight it, I know you love your husband more than anything, do this for him"

At that point I was convinced that Layla wasn't human. She just needs horns and red paint so she can finally appear in her real form; a devil. There's no way she would ever be able to change even if she wanted to, and as disturbing as that was, I thought it was sad. I couldn't wrap my head around how a woman like her, who has everything she could ever ask for, only finds peace in causing havoc and problems for other people. It truly was worth pitying.

"You are very very stupid Layla! May your shamelessness choke and block your airway from now till the end of time. Ni zaki kalla ki ce I should 'name a price' for you to pay me? Who the hell do you think you are?" To say I was seething was an understatement "what exactly are you looking for in this life? What have you ever wanted that Hafeez didn't give to you? How much money do you want to have and what do you want to spend it on?" As expected, she didn't answer me, she couldn't, she just kept on looking at me with an unreadable expression on her face "exactly! Even you don't have the answers to these questions because you are clueless, you have no reason to do anything you've done to us, absolutely no reason because no one is fighting you. No one is against you. You are just a prisoner of your own mentality and attitude, it was so easy for you to be misled because of your evil heart. You've reduced yourself to a fat greedy demon that can never have enough. Instead of focusing on your life and how to be a better person, your goal is to wreck havoc wherever you go and at the end of the day, you gain nothing but a mischievous satisfaction that you have destroyed someone's life, yet you still sleep peacefully at night,"

That girl was a monster. Everything about her defined wickedness. I just wonder How she could possibly ever be prepared to face such a harsh reality as herself when she sees nothing in a mirror but the reflection of her disguised face staring back at her with the many cruel intentions behind it. The kind of darkness she is nursing inside her should be enough to make her go crazy, but for some scary and pathetic reason, she was more than comfortable with it.

"listen to me very carefully," I snapped my fingers twice and pointed at her "your entire generation combined does not have the kind of money to pay me off, and they never ever will, them no even born una well in the first place. I don't lose my mind and home training at the sight of a few bundles of cash, and I wasn't raised to believe that life revolves only around money, so watch what you say to me! And You better thank that baby, because if not for him, you would've terribly regretted ever asking for me in the first place!" I ended that with a hiss and turned around to leave but stopped abruptly when she spoke up again.

"Do not make things worse for yourself Aya! You have no idea what I can do"

"What you SHOULD do is carry a plant around wherever you go to replace the oxygen you're wasting," I snapped "oh, and let me be very clear; just to see who that 'real layla' is, Wallahi tallahi, I will go out of my way to make sure that your filthy ass rots in prison for the rest of your useless life. Idiot!" I shot her one last glare before making my way out. I wanted to bang the door as hard as I could, but I remembered that there was an innocent baby in the room, so I couldn't get myself to stoop that low.

To say that I was still shocked would be an understatement though, because I still could not process the amount of audacity she had oozing out of her like a broken water faucet. that girl had to be a cross breed between a poison frog and a black mamba, that's the only thing that'll explain how and why a woman would be nursing that much evil inside her heart. She wasn't even remorseful about what she did in any way, she didn't give a fuck about how Mama and everyone else was feeling because of what she did, she didn't care about almost killing the person that gave her everything in this life, but she had the mind to look at me and threaten me to save her from going to jail or face the consequences.

I can't even lie, I don't think I've ever felt so much anger, if not for that baby, I would've removed like 7 of her teeth with punches and blows. I wanted to strangle her so bad till her face turns blue, but I calmed down a bit when I remembered that her karma was right around the corner. I can never thank Allah SWT enough for blessing me with good parents to be honest, that has to be the biggest blessing anyone could get. I never even realized how lucky I was until that very day, because I can't picture anything worse than giving birth to and raising such a living emptiness like Layla. Subhanallah!

I really don't wish that kind of child on anyone, not even the Layla has herself, though she very much deserves it.

"Please when is she going to be arrested?" Was the first thing I said the moment I got to the lounge, where Anas and the three bulky officers were seated.

"Woah!" Anas laughed "she showed you the reason why I can't stand her abi?"

"We're keeping an eye on her ma'am, she will be taken into custody immediately after she has been discharged," one of them replied.

"thank God. I thought we would have to wait until her baby gets older," I sighed in relief "but what will happen to the baby when she gets arrested?"

"The victims mother has been kind enough to request that we allow the child to stay with it's mother while she is detained, but we can only do that until the child turns 18 months old, however, that too depends on what her sentence turns out to be,"

Just when I think I can't love Mama any more than I do, she finds a way to make that possible. What a human being my mother in law is! Despite the fact that Layla almost took her son away from her, she is pleading with the officers to allow that same Layla be with her baby until it's old enough to be fine without her presence.

"Okay. But please pay extra attention to her, she is very cunning, nothing is impossible for her to pull off," I said.

"You have nothing to worry about, ma'am"

"Thank you" I replied with a nod "let's go Anas"

He raised to his feet immediately and together, we walked down the long stairs. After what happened the last time, I made sure not to go near that elevator again, despite the possibility that I might be tired after taking the stairs.

"So what did she say to you?" He asked, at the same time we got to the ground floor, heading towards the exit.

"That I should save her from going to jail," I replied, hissing unknowingly at the end "and she wasn't even apologizing or begging, she straight up threatened me"

He let out a short chuckle as he shook his head "that girl has completely lost her mind. Just when you think she can't go any lower, she proves you wrong"

"Indeed that was a new level of low" I agreed "a baby makes you want to start your life over, especially a first child, it becomes your purpose and represents putting your best foot forward, but somehow, she's still stuck on me and my family, her baby changed nothing about her"

"Me I don dey fear the pikin sef, anything that comes out of that witch can never be good, no matter what it is," said Anas, which made me chuckle for the millionth time that day "It's really sad to think about the upbringing she's going to give him when she herself knows nothing about her religion, sai turanci da shegen iyeyi, Nobody deserves a mother like that"

"Bari kawai Anas. I don't want to say anything bad, but I'm sure she will get a taste of everything she has done and even more from that baby, someone as wicked as she is can never know peace in this life" I said, and I meant it from the bottom of heart.

When I heard she was looking for me, I was hoping and praying that, the child would be a reason for her to welcome light into her life, but from what I saw, she got much worse and was still trapped in her own delusion, she had no intention of letting her dark side go, so it was only right for her to learn the hard way, no matter what it turns out to be. And if, just if, she tries to pull another stunt to 'escape', I will be right there to block the way. I will be a force for her to be reckoned with.

*******

Monday went by, so did Tuesday, and Wednesday arrived, all at a normal pace, but to me, if felt like everything was in slow motion. Nothing seemed to change and Nothing made any sense. It all felt like a horrible movie that you so badly want to end, but you were only halfway through and there's nothing you can do other than sit quietly and watch.

Hafeez still hasn't woken up.

Well, he had regained his consciousness the previous day, but nobody was allowed to see him. they took him out of the ICU and moved him to somewhere called a 'step down' unit, in which he stayed for the night before they finally moved him to a regular ward this morning. I know That should make me relax, but honestly I was as anxious as ever because they weren't letting me anywhere near him, and when I asked why, they said he needed all the rest he could get, which I understood, but it was getting close to 10 hours and with each second that went past, I felt my chest tightening up. The only thing that would ease all of my worries was letting me see him, I didn't care that he wasn't awake, all I wanted was to see him and have that satisfaction of knowing that he isn't connected to those weird heavy machines anymore.

Speaking of satisfaction, I'd say I tasted just a little bit of it the previous day. Layla was arrested right after she got discharged and quote me anywhere, I have not felt happiness like that in a long time. It was a sight to behold. She kept trying to prove stubborn by once again bragging with her father's senatorial position, but was quickly reminded that she came for the finance minister's son, a man who wasn't only politically powerful in Nigeria, but a couple of other countries as well. It was so fulfilling to see the realization punch her so hard in the face, and for the cherry on top, she threw a tantrum, crying and begging to be left alone to take care of her baby, basically just pulling the pity card but nobody bought her nonsense. She kept telling her friend to call a certain Samir, who I assumed was the baby's father, but that was to no avail, the guy refused to pick any of the calls, and As she was losing her mind, the officers cuffed her up and dragged her away like a goat, stopping nowhere but the SARS headquarters where she would be put under heavy surveillance.

But of course, my life, which I consider to be some kind Indian series, doesn't always end without a ridiculous twist. As I was taking Layla's arrest in, I didn't know I was being roasted and torn apart on social media until a couple of hours earlier. Nobody knew Layla was going to make such a huge scene, not that she wasn't capable of it, but c'mon, she just had a baby, if anyone told me she would have that much energy to scream and just not stay in one place as she did, I would straight up tell the person to shut up, but anyway, she proved me wrong and as a result of that, she grabbed people's attention. Long story short, someone made videos, sent them out to gossip blogs, and in a ridiculously funny turn of events, I was the one getting dragged by thousands of people.

Some said I was heartless, cruel and wicked for letting a new mother get arrested no matter what her crime was, others said Hafeez and his family wanted to forgive Layla but I was adding more fuel to the fire, while the rest said I was the one that planned the whole thing and framed Layla instead. The amount of hatred and anger in those comments and posts was unlike anything I had ever seen, words will never be able to express it. The pain hit so hard that all I could do was laugh like a maniac, and that laugh was what scared everyone, that laugh made is clear that I wasn't okay.

"Aya!"

I was snapped out of my thoughts when Maleek snapped his fingers in front of me "huh?"

"I said it's past 11 already, let's go home"

I looked around and indeed he was right, it was pretty late and the whole floor was empty, it was just me and him that were seated in the lounge area while Aunty Dida was praying behind one of the couches, then a couple of nurses that were going in and out of patients' rooms.

"Oh.." I replied "you guys can go then, I'll stay with Hafeez"

"Tanveer will stay with him today, you were here for the whole of yesterday, you need to get some rest too-"

"I'll rest here" 

"Absolutely not!" He was about to respond but was cut off by Aunty Dida, who had just finished her prayers "you're coming home with us and that's final"

"But Aunty-"

"No!" She insisted as she pushed her folded hijab into her embroidered Dior book tote bag along with the praying mat and her counter "not only are you extremely fatigued, you're also sick. I could never leave you here after what happened today, so just get up, don't even try to argue"

Oh!

Of course she wouldn't let me stay. Nobody can convince Aunty Dida and everyone else that I wasn't sick and in need of a hospital bed too and rightfully so.

when I got The one tiny glimpse of Hafeez I
Had been looking for as they were moving him to the step down unit, I was horrified to the extent that I can never explain. He was just....there, laying helplessly on the bed with eyes shut closed. drips looked very different from how they normally were as The fluids from them that were supposed to keep him hydrated made him look bloated. His face and shirtless body were terribly covered in fresh wounds and blisters, and his skin looked pale, as if all ounces of blood had been sucked out of his body.

The longer I looked, the more pain I felt, and the more strength I lost. I didn't even realize that last part until I felt myself falling to the ground with a thud. I know life has shown me different shades of 'shege' but nothing will ever compare to that horrible sight. I was so heartbroken about the fact that I wasn't there for him even though he was the one who pushed me away. I don't know why but I thought, maybe if I didn't let anger and pain consume me, I would've been able to save him from that devil in human form.

Out of all the things I had to go through, That was the one time my whole body reacted with fear and went out of my own control. I kept telling myself that I could take all of the pressure and get over whatever gets thrown at me, but that time, my body seemed to almost shut itself down, I wanted to scream that what was happening was just too much until I ran out of breath, but again, no strength, all I could do was sit there on the floor and in complete denial. My nerves came apart entirely, and I started vomiting everything that made it inside my stomach. It really was such a narrow escape.

"I'm fine Aunty, Wallahi I'm not sick"

"Toh na ji you're not sick, but tell me, is there anyone in this world that can convince your father in law that you're fine?" She asked "if I go back to that house without you he would eat me alive, you-"

"Let her stay Dida!" A voice said before she could finish, and it happened to be Hajiya. She seemed to have appeared out of nowhere because I didn't see her coming, nor did I know that she was anywhere around.

"No Hajiya, just look at her, she needs to be at home and rest for at least a day"

"And who told you she'll be at rest if you force her to go with you?" She replied "she'll only feel at ease if she's here, so let her stay with her husband"

All that time I had my head cocked to the side and looking at her in pure disbelief, because I really couldn't believe that Hajiya was making a decision in my favor. I didn't know if I should be scared or happy about it. Maleek on the other hand was stifling a laugh at my reaction.

"But Ya Ahmad said I should make sure she comes home with us tonight, I don't-"

"I'll talk to him. it's better for her to be here in one piece than be at home and have her mind divided. and besides, she won't be alone, Tanveer will be here too," she insisted "speaking of which, where is she?"

"She went to answer a call outside" Maleek replied.

"Okay. We'll leave after she comes back"

Aunty Dida was still hesitant, but she knew Hajiya was right about me not being able to be at rest if I leave, she was also looking pretty confused, which I'm guessing was because she couldn't understand the sudden 'change' in Hajiya, just like me. I was supposed to be happy or at least relieved about her not being on my neck even if it was just for a little while, but to be honest I was....worried. It felt too weird.

Thankfully, Tanveer came back and kind of saved the awkward situation from getting any worse as all eyes turned to her. And of course she was elated to hear that I was staying at the hospital too, not because she wouldn't be alone, but because she had me to gossip with all night long wether I wanted to hear it or not.

"To sai da safe; goodnight. call if you need anything," Hajiya said, smiling a little before turning to look at me "make sure you get some sleep, okay?"

If one saw me at that moment, they'd think I just witnessed the biggest shock of my life, and it might as well just be true because I couldn't believe that it was actually Hajiya in front of me. I was convinced that She must've been hallucinating and seeing Layla instead because when has she ever cared about my existence enough to be worried about me not getting enough sleep?

However, I managed to not make it clear that I had tons of questions, I just nodded slowly and forced a smile back. It lasted until they left, and immediately after it changed into a dropped jaw as I turned to look at Tanveer, who was just as confused as I was "What in the world just happened?"

"I would love to know that too," she replied "I'm not sure I've ever seen her smile like that to anyone, not even the Layla she held so dear to her heart. Something about that smile is so...genuine"

"That's exactly why I'm concerned," I sighed "she was even the one who convinced Aunty Dida to let me stay tonight"

"Really?"

"Yeah!"

"Ikon Allah" she grinned, clearly amused by the situation "this thing be like film, who would've ever thought that Hajiya would care about you one day?"

"Honestly, nobody. Not even she herself" I replied "I miss the glares and snide remarks wallahi, at least with those I knew exactly where I stood, this 'affection' is weird"

Once again she chuckled "you should've seen your face when she told you to get some sleep. It was so hard to not laugh"

"That's because she was looking at me like I am the love of her life," I replied, laughing a little as well "I'm very-"

"Excuse me?" We were interrupted by a petite nurse, the one that had been going in and out of Hafeez's room since he was moved to the regular ward "Family of Mr Talba?" She asked.

"Yes. Is everything okay?"

"He has woken up,"

You know how a child reacts after being gifted a new toy right? That's exactly how I felt, the only difference was that I wasn't jumping up and down in excitement, I was stuck in my spot as tears started to fill my eyes out of happiness and most especially relief.

"And He's asking me if a certain...Aya is here, can any of you please give her a call and-"

"That's me!" I quickly said, snapping out of my thoughts "I'm Aya. Can I go and see him?"

"Yes ma'am, but please don't-"

I didn't even wait for her to finish, I just took off like a rocket, stopping nowhere but the in front of the heavy brown wooden door, which I kinda struggled to get open, don't know if it's because I wasn't strong enough or if i was just too eager.

I first met a sitting area, similar to the one in Layla's ward but a bit bigger, then two doors facing each other from the opposite ends. I didn't have the time to contemplate on which way I should go first, I just headed to where my legs took me, which was the door on the right, and thankfully, it turned out to be the room he was in.

You'd think I ran to him and threw myself on him while constantly asking how he was feeling right? Even I thought that's what I'd do but to be honest, I found myself doing the complete opposite instead. I just....froze, like an antelope in headlights, not being able to move a muscle, all I could do was stare at him, sitting on the king sized bed with his back resting on the bed head, in so much discomfort.

I wanted to touch him, to throw my arms around him, but something held me back. it was the fear of not wanting to hurt him some more, and also the memories of when I last saw him flooded my mind. Those memories confused the hell out of me, I didn't know if I should walk out and save whatever remained of my battered heart, or risk it all and just go to him like that stupid battered heart wanted.

As though he'd been able to read ny thoughts, he slowly moved his head to the right and our eyes locked, despite him being wounded, I could still tell that he was shocked to see me, as if he didn't think I would ever be there. But unlike me, he didn't freeze, instead He raised his hand and held his palm out to me, telling me to go him, and for some reason I suddenly lost control of my actions, I stretched my own hand to mirror his, and at the first contact, He pressed our palms together, folding his fingers down to lace through mine.

He used every bit of strength he had and pulled me towards him, making me sit right beside him at the edge of the bed before wrapping both of his arms around me, tighter than I thought would be possible for him at that moment. Of course I had like a million things going through my mind, my feelings and emotions were all over the place, but they weren't enough to overpower the relief I was feeling. I wrapped my arms around his neck too and pulled him closer. I didn't care where we were, I didn't care that he was the man who terribly hurt me just a couple of months ago. All that mattered at that moment was that the man I loved so very much, even though it was a one sided feeling, was alive.

there truly is nothing like an embrace after an absence, nothing like fitting my face into the curve of his shoulder and filling my lungs with the scent of him, even though he was covered in bandages and smelled mostly of iodine. I don't know why but I felt like a baby in its mothers arms. A rush of warmth coursed through me, a relief as pure and as sweet as the first spring rain.

"You....you're really here," I heard him say in a low voice, almost like a whisper as he kissed my cheek, still not letting me go. he held me so tight that one would think he wanted to merge us together "when did you-"

We were interrupted by a doctor coming into the room, followed by the nurse that came to tell us he was awake, and Tanveer, who went to sit on the other side of the bed, grinning widely as she held back tears of happiness. We were forced to break the embrace, but he still held on to my hands, as if he thought I would run away "why are you sitting up sir? you were told to not move too much. or have you forgotten that you have stitches in your abdomen?"

The doctor was basically scolding him while he just looked at him like a guilty child. He didn't seem to care about what he was saying and that frustrated the doctor, which made the situation kind of funny.

"Please lie down!" He ordered, marching forward to help him do so "can the two of you please wait outside? We have to check him"

"Why do they have to leave?" He interrupted before Any of us could even respond, still holding onto my hand.

"For privacy purposes"

"By they're not strangers, This is my wife and that's my sister-"

"You literally just woke up Hafeez, how do you even have the energy to be so stubborn?" Said Tanveer "it'll only take them a couple of minutes, we'll be back before you know it"

He still didn't want to let go off my hand, I had to get out of his hold myself after reassuring him that he will be fine.

We waited patiently in the sitting area for about 5 minutes until they were done with their examinations, which The doctor confirmed went very well, he was even surprised that there weren't any complications.
And thanks to almighty Allah, we were finally allowed to stay in the same ward with him, wether we decide to use both the bedrooms or just the one he was in. A couple of guidelines were to be followed though, but I left that for Tanveer to pay attention to as I was too distracted to listen to anything else.

The moment we went back into the room, he grabbed my hand again and held me even tighter than he did before, as if he was seeking protection from something and only felt safe when he squeezed me like a teddy bear.

"She's not running away Hafeez, why are you holding her like you caught a thief?" Tanveer said, chuckling a little bit.

He just shook his head and smiled at her "you wont understand" and then he turned to look at me, with so much intensity that I felt like I was starting to melt. He looked like he was watching all of his dreams come true at once while I was once again, confused. I had no idea what to make of that intense stare, nor could I figure out the exact reason for it.

"I think I do," she replied smiling at the both of us "when she came back, I just knew you were going to be fine, even though it didn't look like it. Her presence gave everyone hope"

I remained silent.

As much as hearing that should make me happy, it actually didn't. they might've gotten hope after seeing me, but I got nothing apart from a mixture of relief that he was alive and excruciating memories of what he put me through. I couldn't think of anything other than what was next for me. I tried to ignore those thoughts, I really did, but being around him served as a constant reminder of how I meant nothing to him.

"It's almost midnight, we need to go to sleep," she said, yawning afterwards "I'll be in the other room, carry on with your...staring contest"

I ignored the last part and wished her a goodnight, which she returned before walking out, leaving just the two of us, alone.

"Aya?" He called, to which I lifted my head up and looked at him.

"Na'am?"

"I'm sorry" he said, taking my hand in his once again and giving it a little squeeze "you might not show it, but I know you're angry," he paused to take a deep breath, because the way he was talking was making his stitches hurt "I know I've hurt you, but please let me explain, just hear me out"

Lol!

I didn't even know when I rolled my eyes and huffed, because I actually found his words amusing. Him saying 'sorry' was like giving me a bomb that was about to explode as some type of peace offering. Was it supposed to make any difference? Does it ever make any difference? As far as I know, It's just a word. One stupid, meaningless word against a thousand actions.

"Go to sleep" was all I said in response, slowly taking my hand away from his hold.

"But I-"

"Stop talking!" I cut him off before he even started, and it wasn't only because I didn't want to have that conversation, I noticed how much he was wincing and clutching onto his abdomen with every word he said, and I didn't want him to complicate things for himself "your stitches are still fresh, don't put pressure on your abdomen"

I stretched my hand and grabbed one pillow from the bed as I prepared to go the the two-seater couch by the right side of the room and finally get some sleep, but he held me back before I even got to move.

"Where you going?"

"There" I pointed to my right "to the couch"

"Why?"

"Because I want to sleep"

"But the bed is more than enough for the two of us," he insisted "you won't be comfortable on that small couch"

My sharp tongue wanted to take control and respond to that, but I later decided to just leave it, I didn't have the energy anyway.

"I told you to stop talking!" Once again, I peeled his fingers off my hand and took a step back "if you need anything, throw a pillow at me, I'll wake up" and with that, I made my way to the couch and laid on my right side, making sure that my back was facing him, not my face.

But deep down, I felt an irrational craving to gaze at his familiar face from this....place of 'safety' all night long, however, I couldn't get myself to do that because I knew he wasn't the Hafeez I fell in love with, the one who stood by me and brought light back to my life. That was an entirely different Hafeez; one who is cruel and inexplicable.

He wasn't my 'Mr. Perfect'

He just looked like him.

It was all an illusion.

💕💕💕💕💕

Heyyyyy

Salam alaikum 😁😁

First of all, I am so so sorry for taking this long, for those that don't know, I'm still a student, and this medicine is behaving like a weapon that was fashioned against me 😭😭 I'm at a point where I really need to concentrate, so I haven't really had time to be active ❤️

Anyway, how have you all been? I hope we're all doing great. To everyone that checked up on me, thank you so so much, I don't even have words 😩🥰

So......😏 what do you think of this chapter? Did you like it? What do you think happens next? Let's chat in the comments 😆

I'm super excited for all the drama that is about to unfold sha 😈

Bye 👋 see y'all Soonest 😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.2K 13.2K 42
A fiction book about two people meant to be, a book about Hammad and Yusrah. Hammad Buba Marwa is a 31-year-old microbiologist and, a handsome, class...
106K 4.7K 18
They were only supposed to be acting, it should all have been pretense, so how dare she fall in love. Falling in love wasn't part of the agreement...
11.8K 710 37
" I know this marriage started as an arrangement but now I've fallen for you. Please give me a chance to love you and show you that I care." I told h...
27K 3.8K 47
____•____ In Nigeria, it's known to everybody that each and every family has it own tradition. DAGGASH also has its, which differs from any other fam...