The Herbology Professor ~ Sev...

By EmmaSalamar

A romance between Hogwarts' most feared Professor and newly appointed Herbology Professor, (M/N) (L/N). Sever... More

Introduction
Impertinence
The List
Realization
It's a Date
Breaking the Ice
Flustered
Forbidden Dreams
Your Turn
Morning After
Conflicted
Reconcilation
Tadpoles and Tea Parties
Bonding
His Reward
We Meet Again
Sympathy

Young Apprentice

640 21 2
By EmmaSalamar

~(M/N)'s Home - March 22nd - Monday Morning~

Your POV:

As expected, the first one to wake up was Max.

He'd come into my room very quietly at around 7 in the morning and crawled under the covers because it was rather chilly in here.

"Sleep well?" I asked him in a hushed tone since Severus was still asleep.

He nodded and seemed like he was waiting for something.

"When's he going to wake up?" He whispered to me.

Ah. I know what this is about. He wants to make potions already is my guess.

"Let's let him sleep. It's not every day he gets to sleep in. We can prepare breakfast if you'd like?" I led him out of the room quietly to make sure Severus remained undisturbed.

"Okay." Max agreed.

For the time that Severus was still asleep, Max and I made omelettes. Well. More like I made omelettes whilst Max tasted all the ingredients.

I heard Severus descend the stairs a moment later and had an idea.

"Max..! Hide there..!" I whisper shouted to him while pointing under the table.

He sneakily slipped under the table cloth and waited. Severus entered, looking rather well rested.

"Boo!" Max sprang out like he had yesterday.

Severus backed up quickly as though he'd been startled. Which he had. He gave me a look and I replied smugly with,

"Hey. Had to get revenge sooner or later."

"I got you!" Max exclaimed, bounding back to his chair for breakfast.

"Yes, seems you did." Severus answered as he sat across from me.

Everyone had a plate of fresh omelette in front of them and was clearly enjoying it since it was mostly quiet for the next couple minutes.

The exact second Max finished his however, he asked,

"Can we make a potion now?"

Severus finished his current bite and replied,

"Yes. Though I'd have to gather a few ingredients from my own home beforehand."

"How long will that take?" Max asked straight after Severus' response.

"Not long. I can apparated afterall." He explained.

"What's an apparate?" Max asked quizzically.

"Teleportation in simplest terms." Severus answered briefly.

"Oh, okay." Max hopped off his chair and went into the living room.

I presume to grab something from his bag to entertain himself with while he waited.

I cleared the table once Severus was finished with his omelette. Severus then left to gather said ingredients.

Not 5 minutes later, he'd apparated back into the kitchen holding a cauldron and some ingredients which had been tucked into a small pouch resembling a paint brush pouch that one roles up and ties to close.

"You didn't need to bring all that, I have a cauldron of my own you know." I told him.

"Oh." That was all he said while laying out all the things he brought.

Max must've heard us speaking because he came running to the kitchen looking all excited,

"What potion are we making?"

"Cure for boils. It is the very first potion every witch and wizard learns at Hogwarts. Now, stand up on this stool so you can better see everything." Severus motioned for Max to come up to the table and pointed out each individual thing on the table.

I'm surprised he was this patient with Max. Usually, he wouldn't spend much time describing every little thing to his students. But with Max, he acted like a parental figure would with their own child. It was sweet.

I watched from my seat at the table as they prepared each ingredient just as Severus directed. Max truly was invested in doing everything correctly.

The final part was to stir, which Max had to do 5 times in a clockwise rotation. Then, Severus took his wand and tapped it against the cauldron once. The potion settled and looked exactly how it should at this point in time.

"Can I try it?" Max asked trying to stick a finger in, though Severus snatched his hand away quickly enough to keep him from burning himself.

"Do you have any boils on your skin?" Severus asked, still holding his little hand away to make sure he wouldn't do it again.

"No.." Max answered.

"Then you don't need to try it. Though, if what you want to know is how it tastes like, imagine your least favorite cough syrup and combine it with carbonated water. It's got a prickly touch to it." Upon hearing Severus' description of the potion, he immediately made a disgusted face and leaned back from the cauldron.

Severus had already let go of Max's hand, knowing he wouldn't dare to stick it in the cauldron this time.

"Way to follow Severus' directions, Max. That's very grown up of you." Max smiled at my compliment and hopped off the stool,

"I'm going to color in my coloring book now."

"Of course! Go ahead and do that." He went off into the living room after I gave him the green light to do so.

"He listened well, I have to admit. Unfortunately, better than most of my third years ever could." Severus bottled the potion as he spoke, not wanting to waste it.

"Yeah.. He's attentive when he's interested in something." I explained.

A moment of silence later, I offered to help clean, which Severus gladly accepted.

°••°°••°°••°°••°°••°

~In the Evening~

A few hours had passed since Max and Severus had made the potion. The three of us were now in the living room playing Wizard's Chess. Though Max was mostly just watching, hoping for me to win. The game ended with Severus checkmating me and having his queen destroy my king.

In that moment, we heard the doorbell.

"Is that Mummy?" Max asked me.

"Probably. Let's go check." He came with me to the door.

I opened it to see Heather there. She looked a bit better than when she was here a few days ago.

"Mummy!" Max ran up to her, getting picked up by Heather for a hug.

Severus had come over to the door as well, resting a gentle hand against my lower back.

"Thank you again for taking him on such short notice, (M/N). That was really helpful." She thanked me as she set Max down.

He went inside to grab his things, which I'd already packed up for him a few hours ago.

"No problem! Max was great." I reassured.

"Got my things!" Max came running over again and gave his bag to his mom before turning back to us.

He gave me a hug and then looked over at Severus before hugging him around his legs.

Severus was surprised, but not opposed to it.

"Can we come again in the Summer, Mummy?" Max asked.

"If (M/N) is ok with it." She said, even though she knew I'd say yes.

I nodded and Max seemed happy.

"Will you be here too?" He asked Severus.

"Of course." Severus responded.

"Yay!" Max exclaimed.

"Alright, well, we need to get going. Sun's beginning to set. I'll call you sometime soon, (M/N)!" Heather spoke as she picked Max up.

"Great! Talk to you soon!" I waved at them and so did Severus.

They left in her car and you could see Max looking out the back window to wave at us one more time.

I turned to walk inside, but stopped when Severus didn't come with.

"You coming inside, Sev?" I asked.

"Yes." He seemed to snap out of his thoughts and came inside.

"Are you alright?" I inquired, having a hunch about why he was so spaced out.

"Yes. I'm alright. Why do you ask?" Severus put up a front and acted like nothing was up.

Instead of continuing the conversation at the door, I nodded in understanding and gently led Severus by his wrist to the sofa, having him sit down. I sat beside him and swung my legs over his lap, leaning sideways against the sofa to face him,

"Something's on your mind."

Severus looked down at his hands which rested atop my knees for a moment before I continued,

"Would you like to share with me what it is?"

Severus needed some coaxing to respond, so I took his hand into my own and rubbed over it gently with my thumb. Severus seemed to calm down a bit at the gesture.

"I.." Severus stopped momentarily to sigh and think,

"I found solace in the time that we spent with Max. I'd always told myself that I despise children, but yet, with Max.. I couldn't bring myself to think of him in that way."

"Well, it's clear that he enjoyed spending time with you too. Even though your students may not think so, you're good at getting along with children like Max." I complimented.

Severus smiled a small bit and looked over at me momentarily before looking back at his hands.

"Well, I'm going to go upstairs and get dressed for bed." I winked at Severus before walking away.

Severus in turn, shamelessly looked me up and down as I walked up the stairs.

°••°°••°°••°°••°°••°

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.1K 1.4K 38
A new professor arrives at Hogwarts and Severus Snape could not be more annoyed that Defense Against the Dark Arts was given to someone new, but what...
110K 3.2K 103
Professor Severus Snape, the foul tempered Potions Master of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, has lived a controlled and solitary life. Wh...
Always By Selena

Fanfiction

19.7K 829 14
A psychic has been hindering the Dark Lord's plans and he's angry about it. He wants the person responsible found and brought to him immediately. H...
42.1K 1.3K 25
[y/n] [l/n], an 18 year old girl from America transfers to Hogwarts in her 6th year of her wizard schooling in an attempt to build a new life and fle...