The Royal Romance

By Norris099

Love awaits in the royal court of Cordonia as New Yorker, Riley Brooks, compete for the Crown Prince! Will sh... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
A Special Thanks

Chapter 12

48 3 0
By Norris099

It's the second day of the Apple Blossom Festival! As Riley leaves the manor, Bertrand finds her.

"Riley, there you are. I'm here to prepare you for today's events at the Apple Blossom Festival."

"Way ahead of you. I ate apple tart for breakfast with apple cider and whipped apple butter, so I think I'm about as ready as I can be."

"I don't care about your food consumption." Bertrand puts his head in his hand, very agitated, "I care about how you're going to appear today. And you should care too. The best-dressed lady will be crowned the Apple Queen..."

"Ooooooo... what's that?"

"It's an amusing tradition where the festival-goers vote on who will run the Apple Court. You'd get extra publicity, the favor of the actual Queen, and the ability to boss people around for an hour..."

"Interesting. The best dressed, huh? Something tells me you've got an outfit in mind?"

Bertrand quickly leads Riley back inside the manor to change clothes...

"There's no time to lose. Through a series of promises and threats, I was able to procure a historically accurate rendition of a Cordonian peasant's best-grown from the country's most prestigious stage production company, available on consignment. With this dress, you'll be sure to win the title of Apple Queen!"

Riley looks at the dress which is a beautiful royal blue with intricate flowers decorating the bottom of it. It has green and yellow across the chest and white puffy sleeves. Traditional Cordonian folks gown that's sure to impress the Prince's family.

"How's this? Are you sure it's not... too silly?"

"It's perfect. You can thank me later. Come, we're overdue to meet Maxwell."

As Bertrand and Riley reach the apple orchard, they spot Maxwell.

"Hey, Riley. Are you ready to show us your baking skills?"

"I... am an undiscovered prodigy. I always cooked for my friends back home, and they loved it! But why would my baking skills matter out here in the orchard?"

"Because the next event of the Apple Blossom Festival involves baking an apple pie for the Queen."

"For the Queen?"

"Yes, today is all about gaining the Queen's favor... as we draw closer to the Cordonians, she'll be testing all the potential candidates. Be careful what you say around her." Bertrand gives Riley a worried look and she cocks her head at him.

"It'd also help if you won the pie-baking contest." Maxwell gives her a reassuring smile and pats her on the back.

"Roger that."

"But you won't be baking alone! It's a team event, so you can rely on the other ladies if you need to. Some of them are amazing bakers!"

"I'm sure Hana could whip up an apple pie if she was blindfolded."

"Maybe you can get her on your team!"

Maxwell directs Riley to where the other ladies gather for the Royal bake-off.

"Make House Beaumont proud," Bertrand whispers angrily at her.

Maxwell and Bertrand walk off, leaving Riley with the ladies. Moments later, Queen Regina enters.

"Greetings ladies, I'm glad to see everyone here again. We will be soon dividing into two teams to partake in the apple pie baking contest. I've decided that Olivia will captain one team and Madeleine the other. Ladies, please select your teams."

"I chose Lady Penelope." Madeleine gestures toward her and smiles.

"Ohhh, we'll bake poodle-shaped pie crumpets."

"No."

"Okay..."

"Lady Kiara." Olivia flips her hair and smirks at Madeleine.

"Merci."

Olivia and Madeleine pick from the other ladies until the only two left are Riley and Hana.

"Look at the two strays." Olivia crosses her arms, "Come on, Riley, I'll adopt you. You're not as mangy as Hana."

"Wait... we're a pair. If you adopt one of us, you have to adopt both of us."

"Two undesirables on one team? That's just vile."

"I don't care. You can have both of them."

Madeleine rolls her eyes and Riley smiles.

"Hana's with me!"

As Riley walks towards the outdoor baking setup, the Queen approaches her, "Lady Riley, I hope you'll exceed expectations like last time."

"Don't worry, I'll bake you something that'll make angels weep."

"That's the spirit. Best of luck, Lady Riley."

As the ladies arrive at the outdoor kitchen, Olivia and Madeleine organize their teams.

"Riley, Hana, cut the apples. That should be a simple enough task that even you can handle."

"But I..." Hana looks down with despair.

Olivia walks away before Hana can finish.

"I appreciate your chef skills, Hana. We've got this!"

With the ladies all positioned, Queen Regina addresses the crowd, "Let the great Cordonian bake-off begin!"

The ladies jump into a flurry of activities. Olivia slams a basket of apples in front of Riley and Hana.

"Get to work."

Hana and Riley quickly peel and slice the apples.

"Okay, that's done. Let's see... the recipe says we should add two cups of sliced apples."

"But we're doubling the size of the pie, so we should add four cups."

"Great Hana. I'll do the measuring!"

Riley takes the cut apples and turns to the mixing bowl. She measures four cups' worth of apples and sets them aside for the cinnamon mix.

"That looks perfect!"

"Thanks, Hana! I'll tell Olivia we've done our job. Hey, Olivia!"

Riley finds Olivia near the other team's kitchen. She hides two identical shakers behind her as Riley approaches.

"The apples are ready."

"Uh... good."

"What are you doing?"

"Official captain business."

"Riiight... what are you doing?"

Olivia checks around for eavesdropping before whispering to Riley.

"I'm switching the salt and sugar labels for the other team."

"Olivia, you should not be doing that."

"You say that like it's going to stop me."

"But you know it's wrong."

"DUH. I aim to win. Now, leave."

"Only if you leave with me. We will win this bake-off fair and square."

Olivia looks around and sees Penelope returning.

"Ugh. Fine. You already ruined my one chance anyway."

Olivia walks away, dragging Riley with her.

"Now, go sit by the oven, and don't touch anything."

Olivia leaves her by a wood-fired oven. Hana waves and comes over.

"This pie is almost ready to be baked. Want to help me decorate it before it goes in the oven?"

"Does this include a taste test?"

"There is a leftover apple filling..."

"Consider me at your command."

"I want to add a little flair to the pie, so it'll bake with a pretty design. Though I'm not sure what the design should be. What do you think the Queen would be like?"

"We should add the Cordonian Royal Seal. It's a pie fit for a queen after all."

"The seal is a bit complicated, but I love a challenge."

Hana toils away at the dough, forming the rough outline of the Cordonian Seal.

"Wow... you're pretty amazing at this."

"You sound so surprised."

"Just.... Very impressive."

Kiara discovers Hana and Riley decorating the crust.

"Hey! You're not supposed to— whoa... tres beau."

"You think the Queen will like it?"

"She'd be a fool not to."

"Let's bake this masterpiece."

Kiara takes the freshly decorated pie and puts it in the oven.

"One pie, coming right u—"

Kiara trips, sending the pie flipping through the air. Riley dives after the pie, catching it before it hits the ground.

"Got it!"

"Wow..."

"That was spectacular Riley!" Hana exclaims as she runs over to help her up.

Riley triumphantly places the pie in the oven. As they wait for the pie to cook, Hana and Riley take a break. Riley sips on a glass of water while enjoying the warmth of the sun filtering through the apple trees.

"So, Hana... let me guess, baking is another one of those skills you had to learn."

"The way to a man's heart is through his stomach, as my mother used to say. But at least I got to taste all of my creations, including sneaking in some uncooked batter now and then."

"As is the chef's right!"

DING!

"That's the oven timer..."

"Looks like the pie is done."

Riley pulls the pie out of the oven, "Hot, hot, hot!"

"Give that here," Olivia says as she smoothly takes the pie from her and presents it to Queen Regina at the same time Madeleine presents her team's pie.

"Thank you both. We'll begin the judging with Madeleine's pie."

She examines the quality of the pie's presentation.

"This is very well done. Good work, Madeleine."

"Thank you, ma'am."

Queen Regina cuts out a piece and bites into it, "Oh that's delightfully scrumptious. A perfect blend of sugar and spices."

Olivia scowls at Riley and Riley smiles at her.

The Queen shifts her attention to Olivia's team's pie.

"Hmmm, this design is amazing. Who did this?"

"I did, Your Majesty." Hana bows her head and smiles at the Queen.

"You're exceptionally talented, Lady Hana."

"Thank you, ma'am but I had help from Lady Riley."

"Then let me extend my compliments to both of you. And the crust is in splendid condition."

Queen Regina cuts into the pie and samples a small bite.

"The perfect amount of exquisite flavoring and apples."

"Thank you, ma'am."

The Queen dabs her mouth with a napkin, "After weighing the strengths and weaknesses on both sides... I declare Olivia's team the winner! This is one of the best apple pies I've had in a long time. Very well done, ladies..."

"You honor us all, ma'am!" Riley exclaims while trying to hold in the need to jump up and down.

"Now, ladies, if you proceed across the grounds for our next event..."

The cleaning staff clears the area as Riley walks away from the other ladies. Queen Regina approaches her, "Lady Riley, may I have a word with you?"

"Of course, ma'am."

She leads her away from the ladies for a stroll through the apple orchard.

"First, I'd like to compliment you on your historically accurate costume... it's nice to see you embracing the traditions."

"Thank you. I suspect this isn't what you took me on this walk to talk about though, is it?"

"Ah, you're direct, but not incorrect. I wanted us to get to know one another better. I've been impressed with how you've comported yourself so far. You've demonstrated grace and composure unlike most."

"Thank you, ma'am."

"But as queen, no matter how graceful and composed, cannot be everywhere at once. You'll need to appoint advisers and ambassadors to act in your stead."

"Effective delegation is effective leadership."

"Precisely. That is why I'd like to hear your opinion on some of those around you."

"Of course."

"Madeleine is one of your strongest competitors. What's your opinion on her?"

"She's a valuable asset. She has the pedigree and the skills to thrive in court, and she uses that to her advantage. She could be a valuable ally or a difficult enemy."

"Interesting assessment. Hana has been a competitor since the beginning, and you two seem closer than the others. What do you see in her?"

"Hana is extraordinarily talented. She's a court prodigy, and she's helped me find my footing when I didn't know where to step."

"She's someone you'd want to keep in your inner circle, I assume."

"Absolutely."

"I've had a similar thought about her myself. What you say about your friend can reveal more about you than about them. And Prince Liam's commoner friend, Drake? You're by his side often despite him having little to do with the competition."

"Drake is reliable if rough around the edges. He can be moody, but he'll come through for his friends in a pinch. Drake's loyal, and I understand why Prince Liam trusts him. I do too."

"It's good to surround yourself with people you can trust. A true queen must have a network of allies she can call upon. It's clear you've been assessing how those around you may help you one day."

"I do my best."

"You may return to the other suitors, Lady Riley. It's time I announce the next event."

"Of course. Thank you, ma'am."

She curtsies and rejoins the other ladies among a gathering crowd of onlookers. The Queen addresses everyone.

"The Apple Blossom Festival symbolizes the growth vital to keeping our small nation thriving. Now, as is tradition, we will honor the distinguished, best-dressed lady as the year's Apple Queen. This is a ceremonial position for the people to decide. Last year, it was our very own, Lady Madeleine."

"And I do much appreciate the honor."

"As for this year... citizen of Cordonia, who do you wish to honor this title?"

The crowd erupts into wild cries, a frenzied mix of names, cheers, and boos. Chants for Riley overpower any dissenting names.

"I think we have a clear winner. Lady Riley will be this year's Apple Queen."

The press then starts to go wild, "Breaking news folks, Lady Riley has been elected as Apple Queen." "What will this mean for the race to win Prince Liam's hand? Our expert panel will weigh in shortly. Stay tuned."

"WOO HOO! GO RILEY! She hears Maxwell exclaim, "Party like it's 1999! All hail the Apple Queen from the Big Apple!"

"Lady Riley, please join me for your Coronation."

She stands before the Queen. She hands her an apple-shaped scepter.

"Lady Riley, I pronounce you Queen of the Apples. Long live the Apple Queen!"

"Queen Regina, it's an honor. Thank you all for electing me to represent you as the Apple Queen. I'm happy to accept this esteemed position, and I will treat it with the utmost respect. What now?"

"My queen, I will serve as your acting seneschal and guide you through the ceremony. Before we proceed, we must fill out the Apple Court. These are the courtiers who will parade behind you. Who will be your cup-bearer? This person should be a close confidant you'd trust with your life!"

"I choose Liam."

"I'm glad you put your trust in me, your Queen."

Liam smiles and takes his place on Riley's right-hand side.

The Queen pulls out a goofy-looking fool's cap.

"My queen, if you'll name your court jester."

"Maxwell, I can't think of anyone more qualified."

"Step aside, plebeians. Three-time jester MVP, coming through."

"You're not supposed to enjoy this," Drake whispers to Maxwell.

"I'm sensing jealousy." Maxwell crosses his arms.

"Forget I said anything." Drake turns away.

Maxwell plops the jester cap on his head. The bells jingle as they fall down his face.

"My Queen, with your court assembled, it is your right to issue an edict before your people."

"My people... thank you for selecting me as your Apple Queen. I'm here because of you... and I will be your faithful Apple Queen, the Apple Queen of the people!"

The crowd cheers. Queen Regina summons a horse pulling a wagon of apples.

"Oh, magnanimous Apple Queen, please show your generosity and share your bountiful harvest with us."

"Did I mention apples for everyone? You get an apple, you get an apple, everybody gets an apple!"

"Whoa Brooks! What was that for?" Says Drake glancing at Riley as she threw an apple at him.

"You displease me. And you shall be made an example of!"

"Bu—"

"Never forget that the Apple Queen's justice is swift and sweet." Riley winks and lets out a small laugh.

"Your Majesty, please honor your ancestor, last year's Apple Queen, and plant a tree for the next generation."

Madeleine curtsies as Riley approaches

"My Queen. Happy wishes to you."

"Thank you, my ancestor."

"The labor of your forebears will help you build a better world."

Madeleine lowers her voice and continues.

"Not as many get the pleasure of being addressed as 'my queen'. Savor these moments. You may never hear the phrase again."

"Madeleine, I take nothing for granted."

"Surprisingly level-headed. Maybe being a commoner has taught you to accept your station."

"It taught me to appreciate the little things and not be an utter jerk."

"Good. I like complacency in a future subject."

Madeleine smirks and steps back to reveal a hole for the sapling.

"The ground is yours, my queen."

Riley takes the baby apple tree from the pot and places it into the hole and scoops the dirt around it.

"Everyone, the work we do today will benefit future generations. They deserve something worth inheriting."

The crowd claps.

"Thank you, gracious Apple Queen. As for your final honor..."

Liam kneels before her.

"I may be in your service, but in my capacity as a prince, you are entitled to a kiss, my queen."

"Liam, I humbly accept your offer."

"As my Queen wishes."

He smiles at her and Riley's whole body goes numb at the thought of his lips. She closes her eyes and he tenderly leans in and kisses her on the cheek. Not exactly what she was expecting but it was still amazing to her that she was able to feel him so close to her. He lingers for a second then pulls away smiling.

With the tree planted and the kiss received, the crowd disperses.

"It's time that I had back to the Applewood Manor, but please feel free to enjoy the festival as reigning Apple Queen. Past queens have been popular at the apple bobbing contest." Queen Regina turns to leave and Riley sends her a sweet smile and curtsies.

"Thank you, ma'am."

"Before she can get too far, Maxwell breaks through the crowd and waves her over.

"There's our gracious Apple Queen!"

"Thanks for your support. I heard you cheering out there."

"Well, somebody had to do it. But anyway, that's not why I'm here. I might be able to get you some private time with the Prince today!"

"Maxwell, that'd be amazing!"

"Indeed it is. He's in the manor conservatory right now. And if you don't know where it is, it's on the other side of the estates' grounds. I'll take care of the rest."

"Thanks, Maxwell, you're the best!"

"Heh. Well, someone needs to think I'm the best to make up for Bertrand thinking I'm the worst."

As she steps into the conservatory, Prince Liam turns to her...

"Lady Riley, what an unexpected surprise. And are you wearing an authentic peasant costume?"

"Bertrand says it's historically accurate..."

"Well, you look fantastic."

"Thank you. I hope I'm not disrupting your schedule too much..."

"I am supposed to meet with some of my mother's friends to discuss flowers... but I'm very excited to see you instead."

"Maxwell said he'd take care of distracting your other appointment."

"Then he's a very good friend."

"You've been ever busier than usual lately."

"Yes... since my father announced his abdication at the Regatta, I've been suddenly overrun by nobles wanting to... well, congratulate isn't quite the word, but they want to spend a few moments with the soon-to-be-king."

"Ah."

"My Coronation seemed like a distant future event, but now it's actually happening. In a couple of weeks, I'll be the King of Cordonia. I thought I'd have more time..."

"Liam, you're ready. You've been training for this for so long. If anybody is ready for this, it's you."

"You say it so certainly, you make me believe you."

"You should. I'm always right!"

"It's just strange to think that so many people will be counting on me... depending on me."

"I don't think they could ask to be in better hands. You may not be able to see yourself clearly, but I do. You're kind, compassionate, and responsible to a fault. But most of all... you're always thinking of everyone in your care."

"Those in power have a responsibility to use their power for those who have none."

"I love how you say that like it's common sense... but there a lot of people who don't think as you do. And that's why it's so important that you're going to be the King."

"You see me so clearly... but what about yourself? I know there's so much still undecided, but let's say you were my selection. You're such a free spirit, Riley. And I love that about you. But there are expectations that come with being Queen. Royal events, life at the palace... children. Do you see your place at my side?"

"Liam, I can't wait for my adventure with you to start. As long as I'm with you, I'm ready for anything."

"That means a lot to me, Riley."

"I mean it."

"Meeting you in New York was one of the best things that have ever happened to me. You changed my life."

"I've gone from waiting tables to waltzing with a prince. My life has changed too. Thanks to you."

"For better, I hope."

"Incomparably."

"Riley, whatever happens, know that I am grateful for the time we've spent together."

Liam pauses in front of a light-pink flowering bush. Reaching out, he picks a rose and hands it to her.

"Have you ever seen a Juilet rose? Also known as the Five Million Dollar Flower."

"Five million dollars?! You sure know how to spoil a girl."

"They are expensive, but not quite that expensive. It's rumored that the man who created this specific peach-colored rise spent fifteen years and five million dollars to do so."

"That's a beautiful story."

"Indeed. Truly it must've been a labor love."

"Thank you for showing it to me."

"It's nothing. After all, today is all about blossoms. I hope you've enjoyed the festival."

"You know, I loved it. I've never seen so many apples in my life."

"The festival is one of Cordonia's many little charms."

Liam's gaze lingers on her.

"Well, I don't know how much longer Maxwell can stall the nobles. He can't entertain all of my appointments."

"He could try." Riley inches a little closer to him and takes a deep breath.

She presses her lips to Liam's, her arms going around his neck as his hands tighten around her. For a moment, they meet in a searing kiss that leaves Riley wanting more...

"Riley..."

His hands trail down her arms and around her waist, his mouth moving from hers to sensitive places down her neck. She whispers his name which makes him let out a small whimper.

"We'd better stop, or I'll never leave you..."

Liam places his head against hers and she can't help but smile.

"Is that so bad?"

He captures her lips in one long, lingering kiss, then reluctantly pulls away, tucking a strand of hair behind her hair.

"Until next time, Riley."

Reluctantly, she walks out the door. She pauses and looks back, as Liam holds her gaze through the glass. Her heart starts to leap for joy and she walks with a spring in her step.

Walking back from the conservatory, she spots Maxwell waiting by the door of the manor.

"I hope everything went well with Liam, but we're switching gears for the next event... now that the Apple Blossom Festival is over, we're clearing the grounds for the 'fox hunt' next week!"

"We're hunting foxes!?"

"Not a fox hunt, a 'foxhunt'. Didn't you see my air quotes the first time? It's more like a race that takes place on the royal hunting grounds. Which means horseback riding through the woods!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.3K 668 20
Young Regina Mills is expected to Marry Leopold, but a chance encounter with a Captain, will change Regina's life. Her mother, however, doesn't appr...
20.7K 624 48
βˆΎβœ§γ€‚CARRY ON 【BOOK TWO】 ۡ∾ ❛LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL CARRY ON OUTLAST THE IGNORANCE MOVIN ON SURV...
55.7K 3K 36
Competing for a man is one thing. But how about obeying his every command? Jackie is in need for money and an opportunity knocked on her door. To com...