What Have I Done?

By Arrowbolt5

The tale of two mechs on Cybertron before the Great War, one born in Iacon and the other thrown into the pits... More

Chapter 2: What Lies Below
Chapter 3: The Pits of Kaon
Chapter 4: Resident Guard
Chapter 5: Exhaustion
Chapter 6: In the Fold
Chapter 7: Who Do You Trust
Chapter 8: Gone Gone Gone
Chapter 9: A Good Mech
Chapter 10: Betrayal
Chapter 11: Trip to Hailso
Chapter 12: Objective: Emancipation
Chapter 13: Ripple Across Cybertron
Chapter 14: Internal Affairs
Chapter 15: Internal Affairs II
Chapter 16: Only The Beginning
Chapter 17: Cold-Hearted Brute
Chapter 18: The Extraction
Chapter 19: I Swear
Chapter 20: Escape Gone Wrong
Chapter 21: Decepticons
Chapter 22: Whether or Not
Chapter 23: Cry Behind a Battlecry
Chapter 24: All Good Things
Chapter 25: Come to an End
Chapter 26: The Only Way
Chapter 27: Grief for the Living
Chapter 28: I Didn't Want This
Chapter 29: Better Than You
Chapter 30: Bound For Change
Chapter 31: Manipulation
Chapter 32: One Shall Rise
Chapter 33: Both Shall Fall
Chapter 34: The Price We Pay
Chapter 35: Optimus Prime

Chapter 1: The Mech in Iacon

826 36 25
By Arrowbolt5

"Where are the records from Vos and Tarn's rebellion in 747?"

A small mech with a red and blue paint job quickly lurched up from his desk, optics wide. He scrambled for words.

"It-it's in section 23 of conflicts, under the seeker history." Orion informed the mech who had somehow magically appeared at his desk.

The mech scoffed, "You say that like I haven't already checked. I'm not stupid."

Orion gulped and nodded, going over to section 23 and searching for it. The mech behind him tapped his pede impatiently and growled.

"I told you I already looked," the mech stepped closer in annoyance. "You're wasting my time. Shouldn't you know where the records are? Aren't you-"

The mech paused when Orion pulled out the data chip and held it up.

"Sorry, sir, sometimes they're a little difficult to see," Orion smiled.

The mech snatched it up and glared, "That's no fault of mine."

Orion's smile fell and the mech stomped off to the datapads to plug the chip in. With a small sigh, he went back to his desk, where another mech was already waiting.

"Slagger," the mech muttered, watching the ungrateful mech walk away.

Orion smiled nervously, "Is there anything I can help you with, sir?"

The large silver mech nodded and gestured around the room with his large, pointed fingers, "Yes. Would you mind explaining how this all works?"

Orion blinked in surprise, this sort of place was pretty common knowledge. Ignoring the absurdity of it, he answered the mech quickly, "Well, you plug a data chip into a datapad and the information appears for you to read. When you're done, you simply return the chip to me or one of my co-workers and we'll return it to it's rightful place."

"Why can't I return it on my own?"

"In case you put it in the wrong place."

The silver mech hummed, "I see. How much will it cost?"

Orion smiled, "Nothing. The spread of knowledge is encouraged and shouldn't have a price... although, we do require a name if you want to take it from the Hall."

The mech frowned in confusion and gave Orion a disbelieving look, "Free?"

Orin nodded.

"Where would I find information regarding..."

He trailed off and frowned.

Orion tilted his head and waited patiently.

The large mech's frown deepened and he seemed to get uncomfortable under Orion's gaze. He shifted and looked toward the data chips.

"I'm researching cybertronian history, but I suppose there is a lot..."

"If it helps, I could guide you around and show you different subjects? Maybe one of them will spike your interests?" Orion suggested.

The mech narrowed his eyes, "What do you get out of it?"

Orion, taken aback, blinked in confusion, "Well, I want to help you... This is also my job..."

"Ah, you get paid for this," the mech nodded in understanding. "Then lead on, archivist."

Orion smiled, despite his growing puzzlement, and walked toward the chips, "If I may ask, what are you doing your research for?"

"Why do you want to know?" the mech glared.

"Um, well it might help find the right articles..."

"Oh," the mech tilted his head, "yes, that is logical. I am... looking at how the council is formed and who oversees Kaon."

Orion grinned, "I know just where to go!"

He moved more quickly, with excitement, toward a wall of chips, "Aha, these are the records on Kaon's leadership system. If you start here and work your way down, they will lead you across the governmental system from Kaon's elected council to the Supreme Council of Cybertron."

Orion moved across the room and pointed to another set of chips, "These are about the end of the First Great War and how the council was created."

The mech nodded, "Thank you... I have my work cut out for me. What was your name?"

"Orion Pax. You?"

The mech seemed hesitant to reply, but one glance at the smiling archivist and he knew he could trust him.

"Megatronus."

Orion nodded, "If you need anymore help, don't hesitate to ask. I know cybertronian history like the back of my hand."

Megatronus eyed Orion, "Perhaps I will, thank you."

▪️◾◼⬛◼◾▪️

Orion's face was inches from the screen of his datapad and brows furrowed in concentration. His optics swept across the information pouring through.

They'd been having some chip malfunctions recently. Three customers in the past week had reported that after plugging in their chips, no information was transferred to the datapads.

The same chips worked perfectly well when they were brought back to the Hall of Records; the malfunctions were only happening away from here. The first few times the problem had been reported, Orion assumed it was because his clients had old or worn out datapads, but it was becoming far too frequent.

Something was wrong with their system, but it didn't make any sense.

He sighed and stood up. He flipped the sign on his desk and began walking down the halls. Eventually, he reached a room and knocked.

It wasn't long until the door opened and an older mech smiled down at them.

"Orion, didn't your shift end hours ago?" Alpha Trion asked.

Slightly confused, Orion glanced at the time. Then he facepalmed.

"I must have lost track of time. There is a lot of work to be done," Orion replied.

Alpha Trion smiled, "You have been staying in later a lot recently, I'm sure that's not great for your social life."

Orion frowned, "What are you talking about? I talk to tons of bots in here."

"In here being the key words," the wise mech replied. "You ought to get a life."

Orion shook his helm and held up his datapad, "We've been experiencing a data chip malfunction recently. Some of our chips won't transmit to datapads away from the Hall of Records."

"Old datapads?" he suggested.

"That's what I thought, but it's been getting worse. Something else is wrong with our system," Orion explained.

Alpha Trion nodded, "I'll look into it and call in an engineer. You should get home."

The older mech led Orion out of his office and the two of them began walking back toward Orion's desk. Orion transferred his data to a blank chip and handed it off to Alpha Trion.

"Thank you for reporting this, I've not had many others who work as diligent as you," Alpha Trion smiled.

Orion's fans turned on in embarrassment, "Thank you, sir."

The older mech nodded and turned away to return to his office. Orion grabbed his bag and made for the exit.

Just as he was turning the corner, however, the alarms began to blare and his eyes widened in surprise. He rushed forward and saw the cause at the doors leading out of the Hall.

Megatronus was standing in the doorway, one of his fists clenched dangerously while the other was holding a few data chips.

"You're not authorized to take those!" one of the guards yelled, pointing his blaster at Megatronus.

The silver mech stepped forward, his eyes flashing with anger, "The archivist told me I could borrow them."

"If you're not in the system, you're not allowed to take them, so drop the chips before I shoot!"

"He said I just had to give him my name!" Megatronus's fist tightened and the guard noticed.

His blaster began to buzz with warning and Megatronus looked ready to beat up the guy any moment now.

Orion ran forward, "Hold on, hold on, wait!"

He ran between them and the guard glared, "Orion, this criminal trying to steal data. Get out of the way."

"No, no." Orion shook his head, "This is my fault, I didn't explain enough. Just- just hold on."

Orion pulled out his datapad and quickly scanned the chips in Megatronus's hand before putting them under the silver mech's name.

The alarms stopped, having recognized that the chips were with who they were supposed to be. Orion sighed as the guard lowered his weapon.

"Make sure this doesn't happen a second time, Pax."

Orion nodded and looked at Megatronus, "Let's go."

The two of them walked outside and Orion inwardly groaned in horror at the situation.

"I am so, so sorry. I meant we put the chips under your name in the system, not just giving me your name. Make sure you let me know next time and I will definitely get it taken care of," Orion explained.

Megatronus nodded, "Thank you for your assistance."

Orion smiled and let out a breath of relief, "So, I'm guessing you found what you were looking for?"

"Ah, yes. Your directions were fruitful, although, I am a bit confused about the Supreme Council. How come they have a permanent position, but all the other councils are reelected every decade?"

Orion frowned, "I suppose it's because the Supreme Council members are the ones who created the laws, so they feel as if they are the best ones to lead Cybertron."

"But some of them aren't even original members, and besides, agendas change over time. Why don't the people of Cybertron have a say in who oversees our planet? There is no true legal way of removing Council members," Megatronus complained.

"I don't think there's much we can do about it." Orion sighed, "These same rules have been in place since the Age of Transformation."

Megatronus scowled, "I think the Council should be replaced. It's about time. The things they allow the city-states to do these days are horrifying."

"Like what?" Orion asked.

"The Pits of Kaon, for one," Megatronus huffed. "I can't imagine why people haven't raised questions about those sooner."

Orion racked his brain, but still had no idea what Megatronus was talking about, "Aren't the Pits of Kaon a mining district? What's wrong with them?"

Megatronus looked at Orion like he'd grown two heads, "Do you live under a rock or condone senseless bloodshed like the rest of Iacon?"

Orion's eyes went wide, "Bloodshed? Wh-what do you mean?"

Megatronus scoffed, "The fights? Pitting the miners against each other? How have you not heard of this? It's how Kaon makes most of it's money."

Orion furrowed his brows in confusion, "That can't be right, I've read almost every iota of data in the Hall of Records and I haven't heard a thing about these fights."

The both of them stopped as they reached a corner. Megatronus shook his head, "You should recheck, then."

Orion glanced down the road Megatronus was facing, "That's the road to Kaon."

Megatronus stiffened, "I am from Kaon."

Orion sighed, "You should get going then. That's a long ride. Will you return to the Hall tomorrow?"

The larger mech grinned, "I will. Seems I have a lot of reading to do."

The Only Arthur Note: PLEASE COMMENT LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.7K 406 22
Moon Princess but as she likes to be called, Luna, was abandoned it seems like. She wandered the streets of her town until a nice family took her in...
3.2K 96 15
In the distant reaches of the universe, on a planet called Cybertron, an epic war has raged for eons. Cybertron, once a peaceful world inhabited by s...
9.1K 271 14
The pits of Kaon. Not the best place to live your life. But I still did. I was one of the best. Third best actually. First Megatronus. Second Soundwa...
53.8K 863 17
HELLO GUYS! FINALLY, IT's HERE . . . . . . THE FIFTH AND LAST BOOK OF "OPTIMUS PRIME LOVE STORY" It's been two years since Optimus left Earth to find...