The Royal Romance

بواسطة Norris099

Love awaits in the royal court of Cordonia as New Yorker, Riley Brooks, compete for the Crown Prince! Will sh... المزيد

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
A Special Thanks

Chapter 9

56 3 0
بواسطة Norris099

Back at the royal palace of Cordonia...

It's the morning of the Royal Regatta, and Bertrand and Maxwell are walking Riley back to her room after breakfast.

"Ahhhh... it's nice to be back. Don't get me wrong, I loved our ski chateau adventure, but give me a good beach party any day!" Maxwell raises his head soaking in the sunshine from the windows.

"Is that what's going on today? I thought we were watching a bunch of boats race."

Bertrand gives Riley an angered smirk and says nothing.

"Well, the Royal Regatta is a morning of sailboat races..." Maxwell chimes in, "Followed by an afternoon beach party!"

"Hold up. Something is different today... It's Bertrand. He hasn't said anything grumpy all morning."

"Normally, you'd be saying things like... 'it's not a beach party, it's a dignified beach soiree.' Or... 'Don't embarrass House Beaumont, commoner'."

"He does say that stuff, doesn't he?" Maxwell and Riley cross their arms and stare Bertrand down.

"I suppose I've been distracted lately. I've been dealing with some complicated matter concerning our estate."

"Oh... sorry to hear that."

"...Thank you, I suppose. Now I apologize for being distracted. You have my full attention. I have to ask, is that what you plan on wearing, Riley?"

"And he's back." She says scoffing at him. She looks down at her plain black tank top and denim shorts.

"I think she looks good..."

"Maxwell, be that as it may, you may want something more seaworthy. Not only will you be participating in the first race–"

"Wait, I'm going to be what?"

Bertrand continues, "But the Regatta is open to the public, so the press will be there to take photos and do interviews. It might behoove you to wear something more... nautical."

"Can we go back to that part where I'm racing?"

"Anytime a social season involves picking a royal bride, the first race of the Regatta is traditionally one that all the suitors participate in. It's mostly for the show really..."

"Whew. There's no pressure to win then..."

"Oh, there's pressure. The Regatta is one of King Constantine's favorite events. He bestows honor upon the woman who wins the ceremonial race, so it's an opportunity to get in his good graces. But you needn't worry. I've commissioned a qualified crew to man your boat. You just worry about looking good at the railing."

"So... what you're saying is I should go to the boutique?"

"It wouldn't hurt to look... "Maxwell gives Riley a compassionate look and she sighs.

Bertrand merely lifts an eyebrow.

"...On it."

In the boutique, Riley pulls together an outfit... a white shirt with black stripes, blue shorts, and a rope belt.

A short time later... she arrives at the marina where she can see grandiose, colorful boats sailing through the water in celebration of the Regatta.

"This is great! The weather's perfect!" Maxwell says as he takes a deep breath of the salty air.

"Yeah... sun's out, fun's out!"

Riley throws her arms up, basking in the warmth of the sun.

"All right, that's enough of that, you two." Bertrand gives them both a stern look, "Keep your wits about you. Lady Riley, you must remember that in a crowded venue like this, a photo can be taken at any time... Refrain from silliness. And a word of advice... if the press corners you, be sure to hint that the Prince likes you, but you don't want to be too obvious about it."

"Got it. We're close, but not too close."

Through the throngs of attendees, she spots Prince Liam. He sees her in the crowd and makes his way over...

"Ah, the Prince. Maxwell and I will get the paperwork squared away. You go mingle. Our yacht will be docked at gate B."

As they walk off, Liam runs up to Riley, "Riley... fancy seeing you here. It must be a strange coincidence we keep showing up at the same events..."

"Fate must be on our side."

They smile at each other and he leans forward to kiss her on the cheek, "You look beautiful today, by the way. I like the rope belt."

"Heh, hopefully, I won't have to use it... but I do have a race to win today..." She winks at him and he sends her a loving laugh.

"Ah, yes, the ceremonial race. You know, it's an honor to be part of the Regatta tradition."

"The tradition of rich people having private boats?"

"The Regatta's more symbolic than that. Since Cordonia isn't very big, we don't have many glorious battles as part of our identity... or at least, we haven't for several hundred years. But we do have a defining moment. When a storm ravaged our neighbors across the sea, Cordonians responded by manning every available boat to bring humanitarian supplies to the devastated area. It was one of our finest hours. So, this Regatta symbolizes the generosity of the Cordonians and the strong bond we've forged with our neighbors."

"That's very noble. I'm honored to participate. Now, tell me the truth... are you enjoying yourself?"

"It's a beautiful day, the staff had been well-prepared, and we're ready to celebrate our fine seafaring tradition. My father in particular seems in high spirits. But he always loves this event."

"That's all good... but you didn't answer my question, and you're not even smiling! What's wrong?"

"Well..." he looks up at her with a surprised face then shifts around uneasily. "My father loves the Regatta so much, I've never had the heart to tell him that I hate sailing."

"Liam... you should tell him. Don't you think he should know?"

"You don't know my father the way I do. It would devastate him. And besides, pretending to enjoy it for a few hours once a year is the least I can do for the old man. I actually used to enjoy sailing, but one experience soured me on it."

"What's the story there?"

"Let's say I once felt the call of freedom on the sea. When Drake and I were young boys, we snuck out with one of the royal sloops. The weather had been sunny but turned gray and windy when we reached a few kilometers out. We probably could've managed if we'd been more experienced, but the choppy waters capsized our boat. We had to swim back. I'm not sure which was worse, the cold or the taste of saltwater. Even worse, we had to push the boat all the way back to shore so we wouldn't get in trouble!"

"Wow... that must have been awful!"

"It was a pretty miserable experience, though I can laugh about it now! We were cold, wet, and exhausted... but we survived. Anyway, I've never told anyone that story. No one ever found out what we did... although my interest in sailing did drop quite a bit after that."

The sound of a herald trumpeting breaks through their conversation

"Oh, it's time for my father's opening remarks."

Riley follows Liam's gaze to see King Constantine on an elevated platform, a growing crowd forming around him.

"Ladies and Gentlemen of Cordonia... I welcome you all!"

The crowd around Riley begins to bustle as reporters commence broadcasting the main event...

"Today is a momentous day. As you know I have a soft spot for the Royal Regatta, and it remains one of my favorite events of the social season. Because this event has always held historical significance and personal importance, I have chosen today to make my announcement... that at the end of the social season, I'll be stepping down as your reigning monarch... and in a few weeks' time, Prince Liam will be your new king."

Liam takes in a deep breath and is too stunned to move. Several reporters lob questions at the King, but he sliences them by raising his hand

"I expect you all have questions. I promise you in due time that I'll release an official statement. For today, allow an old man time to enjoy the festivities. Let the Regatta begin!"

As he steps down, Liam leads Riley away from the crowd towards the docks...

"Liam... are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. But it's... a shock, let's say. I always knew my father would retire... just not so soon. To realize that I'm going to become King in a matter of weeks... well. That's a lot."

"Not many guys have to ascend to the throne and choose a wife all at once..."

"It means that my future bride will be thrown directly into the role of the queen."

"It seems like this really caught you off-guard."

"My father usually keeps my counsel on all matters. I wonder why he didn't discuss this with me... but I'll talk to him later. For now, he's right. We should just try to enjoy today."

"Liam..."

She reaches out to touch him but notices some members of the press have followed them...

"We should answer a couple of questions to satisfy them. Time to put on our best smiles."

"No can do." She looks up into his eyes, "I only reserve my best smiles for you..."

"At least give them half your best."

Riley stops, allowing the press to catch up with them

"Your Highness... a few questions please?" Brine from CBC holds out his hand to grab their attention

"Of course..."

"The King's announcement was quite a surprise! What do you think about it? When did you find out?"

"As much as I'd love to answer, my father has made it clear he'll issue a statement later. For now, I can't comment."

"If you can't talk about the announcement, then we'll have to talk about something else... you're looking awfully friendly with the mystery woman..."

"Is that what they're calling Lady Riley?"

"The public does find her enigma. But let's cut to the heart of the real mystery... What's the connection between you two? After all, the social season's almost half over. And with the King's announcement, you're basically choosing the future queen in a matter of weeks..."

"I was aware my future bride would be queen. The immediacy of my becoming king doesn't change much at this time..."

Several flashes from the various camera crews go off. Riley steps up next to Liam

"You want to know what's going on between the Prince and me? I care for him, but we are still getting to know each other."

Liam smiles at her and she grins back at him.

"I couldn't have put it better myself."

"Do you feel the same way about Lady Riley, Your Highness?" Brine scoots closer to them making sure he hears.

"Yes, I care for her. But as she said, we're still learning about one another."

"Now that's something that the people will love to know..." he hurriedly jots down notes.

"Lady Riley," Mrs. De Luca from Trend waves to grab her attention, "Surely you're aware of the historical significance of the Royal Regatta... do you have anything to say on this momentous day about it?"

"Yes, the Royal Regatta represents much of Cordonia's generous spirits. The people's effort to give humanitarian aid and relief is truly inspiring, and I believe it represents Cordonia's interconnectedness with its neighbors."

"Well-put." Liam stares at her and chuckles with amazement.

"I agree". Said the reporter

Before they could ask Riley more questions, Liam steps between her and the press

"As wonderful as it has been to connect with you all, the races are about to start, and Lady Riley's due at the starting line..."

"One last thing!" Mr. Brine grabs Riley and Liam's attention once again.

"Can we get a photo of the two of you together?"

"Of course."

Mr. Brine raises his camera and Liam pulls Riley close. She rises on her tiptoes and kisses Liam on the cheek!

"Perfect. Thank you, Your Highness, Lady Riley... it's been an absolute pleasure."

"You're welcome."

The reporters walk off, and the Prince and Riley head down to the docks...

"I think that went well..."

"Oh?" She smiles at him and nudges his shoulder.

"I can tell by now when they like someone. I'm glad... the people take their cues from the press. Come on, the race is going to start soon! We should get to your boat."

The Prince and Riley head towards gate B where Riley sees Maxwell waving from an impressive-looking yacht!

"Riley, over here!" Maxwell begins to dance around the boat

"Your ride awaits..." Liam takes her hand into his and smiles at her.

"You're not coming with me? You can witness my triumph first-hand..."

"I wish I could, but my place is with the King right now. I'll witness your victory from there. Good luck!"

As Liam walks away, she hops onto the boat and finds Drake and Maxwell preparing to sail.

"Drake? What are you doing here? Maxwell, didn't leave you with Bertrand? And shouldn't there be other people? Like... and actual crew?"

"Yeah. Maxwell. What happened?" Drake looked at him with a sarcastic tone.

"Well... I have good news and bad news."

"The bad news is that the actual crew dropped out... something about not paying upfront? But good news... you still have a crew. In fact, Drake volunteered to help out!"

"He 'volunteered'?"

"Maxwell begged me."

"I thought I was rather dignified."

"Practically in tears, actually."

Riley shakes her head and laughs, "and you both... know about sailing?"

"I used to own several boats, and Drake is an excellent boatman!"

"Drake, thank you for doing this."

"Aw, shucks, Brooks. I couldn't leave you... up the creek without a paddle."

"Ha... ha. Wait, what about Bertrand? Why isn't he here?"

"His words were, and I quote, 'have we fallen so far? Is this what becomes of House Ramsford?' And then he muttered something about ruin and reducing our name to rubble and then I hope he went to get a drink or something after that."

"Sounds about right. What about Tariq? He looks like a guy who can sail a boat."

"HAHA ha ha ha" Drake pats her on the back and she glares at him.

"It was only a thought."

"Yeah, yeah. I'm sorry to say, Brooks, you're not going to be cruising around like the other ladies. You're going to have to do some work to help us win. I hope you're up to the job."

"Drake... trust me, I'm up to it."

"Well, we're about to find out."

Drake ties the last rope inside the boat, "casting off!" He unfurls the sails and steers the boat to the starting line. On Riley's left is Olivia's boat and on her right is Hana's.

"Good luck to you both!" Hana calls out to them. Riley gives her a smile and a wave.

"I don't need luck. I know I'm going to win! I hope you both like losing!" Olivia gives them both a devilish grin and winks at Riley.

"Maxwell," she crosses her arms and feels the rage inside her boiling, "how do we win this thing?"

"Riley, you'll be watching the wind indicator for us. Whenever it shifts, tell us, so we can adjust the sails."

"We'll tell you what else needs to be done as it comes."

"Sounds doable."

"Looks like the race is about to start!"

King Constantine stands on an elevated platform by the starting line with Prince Liam and Queen Regina. He holds the starting pistol above his head.

"Racers, start!"

"Here we go..." Drake cracks his knuckles and gets into his ready stance.

The King then pulls the trigger! "And go!"

The sails on all the boats unfurl, catching the wind! Riley notices Olivia's smug smile as her boat takes on an early lead.

"I'll be waiting at the finish line!" Olivia shouts as she sails away.

The wind picks up, propelling Riley's boat forward!

"Hold it steady." Drake holds up his hands and steadies the boat.

The wind indicator suddenly shifts. "The wind changed!"

"Adjusting sails!" Maxwell calls out.

Drake and Maxwell bustle around the boat, fixing the angle of the sails. Maxwell hands Riley a rope.

"Hey, Riley, tie this down for us! We need to hold the sail in place!"

She takes the line and wraps it around the notch on the deck. She secures the line with a strong and sturdy sailor's knot. Looking up, she sees a buoy floating not fat in the distance.

"There's the halfway point! We just have to turn around the buoy and head back to the finish line!"

"We're coming in too fast!" Drake grabs on to the railing, "brace yourself!"

The boat makes a hard turn to the right, the edge of the deck skimming along the water's surface. Riley holds onto some rigging as water sprays onto the boat.

"Let's keep going. We're almost there!"

"Wind's picking up in our favor!" Maxwell claps his hands and gazes out to the finish line.

"Back to the stations, Brooks. Secure the jib."

"And that means to...?"

"Catch the wind coming from behind us."

She hurries to the front of the boat to redirect the front sail into the wind. The sail stretches as it catches the wind. The boat races forward... and with the wind in its sails, their boat overtakes Olivia's! She gasps and begins to scream at her crew.

"Make the boat go faster."

Leaving Olivia in their wake, they sail over the finish line first.

"We did it!"

"Woooohoo!!!" Maxwell picks Riley up and spins her around.

"You really pulled through for us, Brooks."

From the shore, King Constantine and Prince Liam applaud Riley's, Maxwell's, and Drake's victory.

Returning to the harbor, the other ladies and Riley disembark from their boats where Prince Liam and Constantine wait to greet them.

"Congratulations, Lady Riley... That was some impressive sailing out there."

"I can't take all the credit sir... just most of it."

The King laughs, "this girl has a sense of humor, Liam."

"I know, father."

"Lady Riley, I commend you and your crew. Please, enjoy the rest of the festivities..."

"I wish we could stay and chat more, but the official race is about to begin, and we need to head to our places."

"Liam... my place is beside you." She smiles at him and he laughs giving her a compassionate stare.

"Unfortunately, you're not allowed in the booth. You'll have to settle for mingling with the other ladies on the Nevrakis yacht."

"You mean Olivia's yacht?"

"I know you two don't get along... but the party she hosts should be fun. Perhaps you and Hana can keep each other company."

A fanfare of trumpets erupt...

"You should go. I think that's your cue. I'll be fine, wherever I end up."

Liam quickly bows before racing toward the Royal booth. Hana taps Riley on the shoulder.

"Hana, thank goodness. You're going to Olivia's boat, aren't you?"

"I won't be there, sadly... my parents wanted me to host my own viewing party... but unfortunately, I'm not as popular as they expected. Olivia's really got her hooks in the ladies here. My parents invited dozens of nobles, but no one accepted. But it would be the ultimate embarrassment to not even go to my own party."

"Aw... sorry, Hana."

"It's not so bad. There's going to be a lot of appetizers and champagne and a lovely viewing deck... all just for me, I suppose."

"Hana... I'll come to your party."

"Are you sure you want to hang out on my family's boat?"

"You think I want to share a boat with Olivia? Yuck."

"Then I'm glad to come to your rescue. Please, follow me."

Riley walks onto Hana's yacht. Decadent chocolate-covered strawberries and champagne flutes are set out next to cushioned seats and silken pillows

"Welcome to my humble yacht..."

"Wow... everything here is so nice."

"It's a public appearance, and my family wants to look good in front of the royal family. They think it's of the utmost importance that I impress everyone here, no matter how extravagant the display."

"You... can consider me impressed. Seriously, just one bottle of this champagne is probably worth more than what I made in a whole week waiting tables in New York."

"Well, what's mine is yours. Please, enjoy whatever you want."

A waiter approaches with a tray of chilled champagne flutes and mint water.

"Well, Riley, what'll you have?"

She takes the flute of champagne and they clink their glasses together. Looking around, she sees at least a dozen waiters at the ready. Countless bottles of champagne rest in chilled buckets.

"This is actually a lot of champagne, even for a party."

"Well, this ship is new and hasn't been named yet. Naming it would've been cause for celebration. But since you're here, I'm hoping you'll help me christen it."

"You want my help?"

"Yeah, it'll be fun."

"What do you even name a shop? The Flying Cordonian? Heart of Gold?!"

"Aphrodite?"

"How about the Sea Goddess!"

"Sea Goddess... I like it."

"All Aboard the Sea Goddess!"

"Not so fast. We need to officially christen her first."

Hana offers Riley a bottle of champagne

"Hana, you should do it. It's your boat after all."

"Here goes nothing!"

Hana takes the bottle and smashes it against the railing. The foamy beverage runs down the side of the boat.

"Wooo!" Riley shouts, "The Sea Goddess is officially in business."

"Just in time for the race too. The boats are taking their positions."

In the distance, boats gather at the starting line, their colored sails dotting the horizon.

"Which boat do you think is going to win?"

"The boat with the... pirate flag."

Hana gasps and starts to look uneasy.

"What? I think pirates are cool."

"Remind me to schedule a pirate-themed party next time."

The starting pistol fires and the sails inflate as they catch wind.

"There they go."

The boats sail off into the horizon

"How far did they go out?"

"Quite a ways. We won't see them again for another couple of hours. It's a long race. In the meantime... want to take our boat for a ride?"

"Absolutely!"

Hana sends word down to the crew, and before they know it, they're cruising along with the crystal clear water.

"The view up here is amazing!"

"I'm glad you're enjoying it. Riley, thank you for coming to my party."

"Honestly... I should be thanking you for this party."

"Oh, please. You're the one that's made it a party. Otherwise, it would've just been an afternoon of me crying into my champagne."

"What a terrible thought."

On the horizon, the first of the returning sailboats appear.

"Let's head back to see the winner."

Riley returns to the line of spectating boats in time to see the winner cross the finish line.

"Pirate sails won!" Hana exclaims in amazement.

"Called it."

The Royal family greets the winners and presents each one with a medal and a wreath.

"Look at those smiles."

Hana sighs

"What's wrong, Hana?"

"They look so happy. It's just... my whole life, I've done nothing but lose."

"But you're amazing at everything."

"Nothing that really counts. I lost my fiancé. I lost my family's respect. They think I'm a complete failure."

"Hana... you don't need praise from your parents. Once you realize that other people's approval doesn't matter, then it's easy to see that the only person you need to please is yourself."

"There is wisdom in that... but I wouldn't mind some praise from those close to me. Like you, Riley."

Riley walks over to the tub of champagne and grabs a bottle.

"You know... we could have our own victory celebration right now."

"For what?"

"We're gonna celebrate our friendship. I left New York not really knowing what would be on the other side when I landed... I'm just glad I have a friend like you."

She shakes the bottle, then pops the top. Foaming sprays out, getting both of them! Hana jumps away from the spray, laughing.

"That was a sneak attack!"

"Your point?"

Hana grabs a bottle, shakes it, and then returns fire. Hana and Riley run around the deck until the last of the bottles run dry.

"We're nearly back to the shore... I can't believe the Regatta is already over! I was really dreading today... but thanks to you, Riley, it was more fun than I ever expected!"

"Hana, I had fun too."

"Good."

Hana smiles at her as the Sea Goddess reaches the dock...

After the races, they return to the docks with other suitors.

"Now the real party begins."

"Maxwell already told me how excited he is for the beach party..."

"It's not just a party." Olivia waltzes over to them, "it's an extravaganza."

"The press will certainly be in attendance..."

"And it means more time with the Prince too!" Riley's heart begins to race at the thought of seeing him again.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

755 36 28
Lily Starke goes to Cordonia for the man not the prince, even though his best friend is way more her speed. They push and pull her across the country...
24.9K 417 27
"it's riley and maya! they're gonna marry each other. " 9k - june 17 2018 10k - july 7 2018 @ 1:31pm 11k - august 8 2018 @ 5:58 am 12k- september...
4.7K 171 17
Kenna lived the perfect life in the big city. Sure, she'd had her fair share of hard times, but overall life was perfect. She and her boyfriend of th...
271 26 9
The epic TRR crew has gone their separate ways. Maxwell and Riley have split apart just before the wedding. Fast forward over seventeen years later t...