Missing Piece

By xxAiri

Bounty hunter, "Bloody Boa" Charlotte, has perfect track record. How she manages to keep a 100% catch rate is... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 33

236 10 0
By xxAiri

Law glared through the wind pushing him back, arms held before him and Kikoku gripped in his left hand. The pressure forcing him back some despite already being a distance away from the fight. He was right to heed Charlotte's request and to send everyone back.

"Get out. All of you. Out! NOW!" When they didn't respond right away, Charlotte took matters into her own hands. For the first time since Law told her not to copy her ability, she deliberately reached out to copy his ability. She burned herself just to shamble them all to the front entrance. The last thing Law saw before he was sent away was Joval's bemused expression. He couldn't see Charlotte's expression.

"You didn't have to send them all away." Law heard Joval say as he shambled himself back to a fully pieced back together Charlotte, voice laced with fake pain. "We could have recreated the whole ambiance. I wonder how your group of friends would judge as Spectators."

He saw her flinch, and for some reason, Charlotte's avoidance of being the center of attention came into mind. Her distaste towards it was a mystery to Law. Neither shy nor scared, Charlotte performed fantastically under watch. It made no sense to him until now. What she really meant by "I don't like attention" was that she didn't want an audience. She didn't want people to see her like this. Whatever this was.

"The cockfights that Charlotte participated in happened in a place called The Ring. The objective was simple: kill or be killed." Baako topped up Cole's cup despite it being still half full. Cole barely processing the intel. "The blood baths were their Master's 'kind gift' to their monster slaves. To give them a place to let their instincts run rampant." Baako explained, distaste clear in his voice and Cole vaguely wondered if it was towards the bitter alcohol or the tale. "However, there were dire consequences if they were to spit in the face of that kind offering. Disobeying rules was considered spiting. Charlotte was no exception to that."

Like the tamed rat she was made to believe she was, a young Charlotte stood in her respective spot on in The Ring. Four squares forward and seventeen squares from either side of the ring. Her opponent stood in the same way on the other side of the ring. Neither of them moving.

Charlotte had no idea who her opponent was. Their name hadn't been announced and she wasn't looking at her foe yet. She wasn't going to; she never did after the battle she lost her heart and only friend. It was her defense mechanism. The less she knew about them, the less that she considered them human and the more readily she will be able to kill them. It may be rude of her to not find out whose life exactly she was ending, but she can deal with that later. She was already in Hell.

"Rule one: the battle only starts once the bell goes off."

Ding

In a blink, the stocky man was sent flying, ripping through metal walls of crates until he went splat inside one of the shipping containers. Charlotte stood tall at the new makeshift entrance, her dull eyes glowering down towards the fallen male. Attention focused on the red glow of the collar. Her hand drew back, karambit dangerously sharp, and without hesitation she brought it down across the male's jugular.

Joval stared up at her, ecstatic. A thin line of red dotting his cheek from where he jerked out of the way just in time. He reached towards her dead eyes, and she pulled back, jumping a few meters away. He gripped at his face instead, eyes boring into the woman who said she didn't want to fight and laughed manically. "Can't even waste a moment to wait! Aren't you too excited for this, Deathbringer? You're dripping with so much bloodlust I can practically see it!" The faint wisps of murderous intent oozing almost visibly around her. His crazed eyes narrowed suddenly, and the large smile disappeared. "Do you honestly think I'll let you end my long-awaited battle as soon as the bell went off?"

"Rule two: every battle must be entertaining." Cole raised a brow at this and Baako rolled his eyes. "It is a show, after all." Cole face twisted in disgust and Baako topped up his cup again. "Everyone in The Ring had their own style of entertaining Spectators. It'll be boring otherwise and if it was boring, then there was no purpose in their lives. Their nicknames were analogies for their 'unique styles'. At first, despite her wins, Charlotte was never named because of her displeasing cries and wailings at the end of her battles." Baako glanced at Cole from the corner of his eyes, gauging his reactions. "She was eventually gifted the name 'Deathbringer'. Charlotte brought death in her wake. Despite odds, she never fell in battle. It was like she was faster than Death. And wherever she went, death would follow moments after. If Charlotte swiveled around her opponent, death would slither around her pretty little prey and squeeze the life out of them. It was like she had tamed Death itself into doing her bidding. Like she was Death's master."

Charlotte appeared behind the staggering male, her leg already in the middle of a round kick. Joval leaped away from the woman, shock on his face as he took in the path that Charlotte kicked. The area split open from her attacks and her ominous aura. So, this was the 'Death' that she always brought into battle. He licked his lips. "I will really enjoy eating you."

Charlotte leaned over, plucking up the two ends of the scissors that the other had dropped earlier in the squabble. She threw them, the blades stabbing into the wall on either side of his face.

Why? Law wondered quietly, surprised that she would re-equip her opponent with his weapons.

"Rule three: every fighter gets a weapon." Cole blinks at that and Baako shrugged. "To even the playing field a bit. It would be too boring if it was overwhelming one side. Not that it made any real difference."

Charlotte lunged after the scissors, landing on them before he could pluck them out of the wall. Surprise ghosting her features for a moment when the blades didn't shatter underneath the pressure like usual. The weapons they granted were dingy at best—already worn out and bound to fall apart at any moment. These, on the other hand, were reinforced.

A toothy grin spread, stark white against the shadow. Charlotte flipped back. Her Haki on high alert, not that she needed with that wave of bloodlust. Her right leg collapsed inwards slightly as she landed. Blood splattering against the concrete. A large gash ran along her inner thigh. She cursed at herself for getting hit. Her leg wasn't moving as it should anymore. How strange. The weapons granted too them weren't this sturdy. Was there interference? She scanned the field and her eyes widened, realizing a second too late that her opponent wasn't in front of her anymore. He was beside her.

"Rule four: No one is to dirty the Holy Mark of the Dragon's Hoof on the back of each slave."

Joval's eyes narrowed with glee. She really was a magnificent combatant slave. The sound of fabric tearing filled the air. To think she'd used that rule to her favour. Turning her back to him and hoping that he'd still follow the rules enough to know to pull attack to not sully the mark. Then again, wasn't he as well? To be obeying the rules ingrained in them still. His grin split further in glee.

"The Holy Mark of the Dragon's Hoof?" Law muttered shocked. His mind already racing to connect the dots—the several quirks in her behaviour. Her outright refusal for slavery. Her dislike for orders and restraints. Her childlike expression and wonders towards normal childhood milestones. It finally made sense. Charlotte was enslaved throughout her childhood.

The mutter drew Charlotte back, life returning to her eyes. She whipped her head around, purple tresses falling around wide eyes, feverously trying to spot the smiley masked spectators within the shadows of The Ring.

Platinum locked onto grey—

Law watched as dread flooded her system. Joval appeared behind her, blades drawn and pointing dangerously at her. "Charlotte-ya!!"

—She shot across the facility.

Charlotte coughed as she slammed into a metal container, head-first. Her eyes rolling back. Without missing a beat, Joval threw his scissor blades. An ecstatic squeak escaped him as he spotted the bleeding arm pinned out to her side. The hand embedded behind his giant blade.

Drool pooled at the corners of his mouth as he ran forward at a speed not physically possible for someone so large. A hand! I got a hand! His focused pinned to the sight of the small pale hand. The bodies he ate before finding her doing little to satisfy his hunger. Not that they were even worth eating. They were weak creatures that probably lowered his abilities instead of increasing them. But this was the Deathbringer! Anything he consumed of the woman would leave him stronger. Especially her dominant hand.

"The rest was free for all. As long the battle was entertaining enough for the Spectators watching. Anything goes. As a result, many of those participants developed strange, perverted habits." Baako said and after a moment pause, he added. "Joval is one of those participants."

The target? Cole blinked. "What does he have to do—" Cole grabbed the bar owner's flamboyant collar, dragging him down until they were at eye level. Alcohol reeked between the two of them and Cole dug the barrel of his gun deeper against the underside of the other's chin. "You set her up, didn't you?" His voice was more than accusatory. "This was why it had to be her!"

Baako met his angry glare with a cold one of his own. Red lips parting slowly, deafening. "Yeah. The bastard's been looking for her."

Anger boiled within the technician. "What is Joval's unique style? His nickname!"

"'Gluttony' Joval ate his prey alive, piece by piece. Sometimes, if you were lucky, he'd chop off the limb or skin he'd want to devour first." Baako's lips curves up. A stark white grin against the dark night. "But the bastard takes pleasure in doing it slowly. For the spectators, he always says."

Hazel eyes burned.

Charlotte's vision finally cleared, the blackening spots fading away. Instantly her body tensed at the warm slimy feeling coating her fingers. "Oh, you've awoken!" Joval cried happily, lifting his face from licking the digits greedily. The joy in his voice contrasted greatly with his next movements. He brought his knee hard against her temple, knocking her head forcibly back again and again. The loud echoes of the empty crate being hit resonating in the empty space. Until he was certain she wouldn't be up again soon.

Charlotte slumped against the crate again. Head lolling and the world spinning. "Don't worry, I'll treasure you slowly." He twirled his tongue around her pinky, slowly pulling the digit into his mouth. He rolled the finger between his teeth while flipping his grip on his other blade. He pressed the tip against her outstretched arm and quickly drew it across, flaying her skillfully.

A scream ripped through the warehouse, echoing through the place.

Law cursed, trying to find the two amongst all the shipping containers.

Charlotte's trapped body spasmed instinctively—vainly trying to escape. Joval giggled manically at the scream. The sound music to his ears and he leaned back, arms spread wide as if showing off to the invisible audience of Spectators. His grin turned upside down when the screams stilled, and he went back to correct that. It was time he got a bite of his meal anyway.

"Eh, why can't I remove your hand?" Joval cried, displeased. He wanted to eat it in front of her. He wanted to watch her reaction as he slowly devoured her piece by piece. "Urgh. I can't wait anymore! I'll just eat it here." He lowered his face towards the helpless digits. "Don't worry, you can live on as part of me!" He shouted, slurping on her middle finger. "I GET TO EAT DEAT—"

Charlotte stared at the blade embedded to her thigh. Her karambit was sitting there comfortably. Never lose your mind to pain. If you do, you're fucked. Even if you have to hurt yourself so you can stay conscious, then do it. Pain is only temporary. The wise words from her late neighbour echoed in her mind. She watched the blade until the thick red drip from her mutilated thigh finally became clear. She hoped the limb still worked; the blade looked pretty far in. Not that she had time to dwell on it right now.

Pulling her lips back, Charlotte exhaled once, then again, steadier. "I have no intentions of becoming a part of you." Warm flesh blood dripped against her trapped hand. Not that it was really trapped anymore. Charlotte had destroyed his blade with her last move right now. There was a reason why her hand was stuck. It was still attached to her after all.

Joval's weapon had struck against her second karambit. The one that she had kept pressed against her wrist throughout their battle until now. The karambit that stabbed into the man's face when she released it. He drew back upon impact, allowing her clawed weapon to drag across his face, leaving a rather nasty cut there while he howled in pain.

Even she had to admit, the look on his face, bloodied was a lot better than before the red covered half of his face. If she could find it amusing, she was certain the audience would too. They did find even the slightest wound delicious to watch. And she was the monster.

Unsteadily, Charlotte stumbled on her feet, her mutilated leg disagreeing with her greatly. The world around her was spinning and her vision was still spotty. She was pretty sure she had a concussion or multiple. She couldn't tell through the ringing in her head. All she did know was that the battle wasn't over yet.

Rule Five: The battle only ends when one of them dies.

Blood poured against the ground as Charlotte lunged forward. Metal clanged against metal. The stubborn bastard still managed to stop her with his half-broken weapon. Perhaps she should just rip off the arm. He'd be completely weaponless then. But dicing people up was not her style. It was more like Joval's... no, more like someone else she couldn't remember the name to right now. She settled for killing him.

She was a monster. That she could not deny for the life in her. She was a monster who had killed many for the sake of her own survival. Took lives without asking permission for. Killed the lives of strangers stuck together not because of coincidence but rather because they were all victims of the same circumstances. She was alive today, got to live a day longer, because she had forgone someone else. Because she selfishly wanted to live. For her to lose her life so easily after taking so many was like spitting in their graves.

Her opponents would be doing the same thing. No one was blood-free in this sick little game of theirs. No one. It all came down to who was the bigger fish. "How many have you eaten?" Charlotte knocked away the other's blade. She pierced his hand to the floor with her karambit, pinning him there. It was up to the winner to honour their lives and carry on.

Joval was the same. Even though his only weapon had been destroyed or the fact that there was a jagged cut across his face, obscuring two-thirds of his vision. He wasn't shivering in fear. He wasn't yet. Not yet. There was still a chance of survival here.

Charlotte wasn't in perfect condition either. A thin sheen of sweat coated her now paper-white skin save for the arm he skinned. That was bleeding beautifully, just like the hole in her thigh and the cut that ran up her leg. Her eyes were foggy, and she looked unsteady, probably from blood loss or concussion, or both. He doubted she could stay conscious for much longer.

"232 once I get you." Perhaps she was lucky that Joval wasn't sane in the mind either. Keeping a tally of all the people he has eaten, the number of lives that live within him would probably drive people insane. "764." Charlotte responded back even though he didn't ask.

Regret never followed Joval faster than it did when he lunged forward, the blade ripping through his hand. His plan was to pin the woman down. It should have been easy given his weight and her pallor. Instead, he was met with Charlotte's platinum eyes glinting eerily as if possessed. A grin that shouldn't be there floating in the dark air behind her widened. Death. He realized. Then everything went red.

Deathbringer was in no way an exaggeration for the woman. Perhaps, it didn't do her justice. Like a sick mimicry of what he had done to her, his dominant side was gone, ripped from the rest of him. Except the huntress didn't even as much as move.

And his right side was still attached.

Law finally found them again. The same shock and confusion on his face as Joval's. He had seen the action, the movement of her slithering up and around his limbs, an explosion of red blood that seeped from the large cut that ripped the man in half. Then, everything was gone. Nothing had happened, his arm wasn't bleeding neither was his side.

Joval fell on his butt, fear seeping into the reaches of his mind. He flipped over, crawling on all four, away from the monster slowly walking towards him.

Charlotte stared at the collar around the neck of the male running for his life. She breathed lightly at the sight and her muscles relaxed around her. She didn't have to kill him, the collar would once the Specators get tired of his feebleness.

A grin split across Joval's face as she relaxed and in the next moment, he was leaping back towards the barely conscious huntress, mouth open wide to bite off her jugular. Platinum eyes fluttered close and grey eyes widened, "Char—"

She slashed the air before her out of instinct. Platinum eyes widened in realization a second too late. She expected to see red spill out, splattering against her face and body given the close proximity. Like fulfilling the prophecy or a replay of what they thought had happened earlier would play out; blood would explode from Joval's right side to rain down around them. Or that would have been what had happened if Charlotte hadn't missed.

"A-a...ahaha! I'm still alive! You missed! The Spectators influenced the battle in my favour!" Joval squeals increase in volume and insanity as he spoke. His body and mind still trembling in aftershock to realize the words he was speaking made no sense.

Charlotte's face scrunched at the commentary. Mind slowly whirring. Something about it seemed odd. She swore she heard a voice just now. Law? She spotted the doctor standing in the open. Did he do something? No. She shook her head. He didn't know about the free-bell system. Plus..

She gave the other a weak smile, her vision blurring upon seeing his face, and she wondered what kind of look was on his face. Would he be shocked at the turn of events or worried about the wounds she now carried? Her eyes fluttered closed. Nah, he'd probably be annoyed at the fact I stabbed myself. Maybe I should pull it out—hide the evidence. Either way, if Law was here that could only mean one thing.

This wasn't five years ago. She wasn't in The Ring. The shackles around her wrists and neck long gone. She didn't have to play by their rules anymore.

She didn't have to kill.

To think that Law would be her reprieve.

"Oi, where are you going, Deathbringer?! The battle isn't over yet!" Rule Five: The battle only ends when one of them dies. "Gosh, you are so challenging to keep motivated. I know! I'll eat someone! That always worked. I'll pin you down and eat someone in front of you. One from the crew is still nearb—" His face caved mid-speech as Charlotte kneed the male hard, knocking him flat on his back. He stared up at her frenzied expression and felt a flush warm his cheeks. His fat tongue lolled out of his lips, and he looked as if he was deliriously excited for food. "Y-yes, that's it. That's the look I missed so much!" He shouted, crazily, arms outstretched, lost between reaching to hug her or to be left sprawl open in fatigue.

Charlotte grimaced at the joy on his face. This was exactly what he wanted. In the end, regardless of the outcome, he got his fight with his famed Deathbringer. She raised her karambit high above her head, grip shaking.

Kill me. Kill me. KILL ME!!

Charlotte inhaled shakily.

Kill me and carry on my legacy!

She steadied her sweaty grip. She hated her Haki proficiency sometimes.

The legacy of 996 lives!

"If you don't. I'll kill someone. I'll kill him"

Charlotte followed his outstretched hand, and her gaze finally focused on Law. Her eyes widened and her breath left her at the disgusted expression on his face. Gritting her teeth, she ripped her gaze from Law's. Small droplets of water flying into the air at the sharp pull. She cursed when the face beneath came into focus.

Memories of a scarred face flooded her vision, overlapping with reality. Blood smeared at the corner of his swollen lips. His lips pulled into a weak smile that broke the three scars that ran up from his chin. Uneven stubble and missing teeth making his face look far more lopsisded. "Ya did good, kid. Now kill me and live long, okay?" Letting another scream rip through her hoarse throat, Charlotte drew the blade down with unseeing eyes.

Clang.

Charlotte panted, staring only at the collar she wished to never see again. It took a moment or two to realize that her attack never landed. An arm wrapped around her shoulder to pull her attack back and trapping her to a solid chest. A sheathed Kikoku straining against the force of her blade. Joval unconscious from the shockwave.

"W-Why did you stop me?" Charlotte voice was thin and shakily. So quiet she wasn't sure if she had spoken or imagined it up. Her vision blurred and unfocused. She guessed she didn't when he didn't respond. Inhaling, Charlotte tried again. "Are you going to attack me?" Charlotte voiced into the silent air between them. She could sense the cursed blade singing for her blood.

Law tightened his grip. His cursed blade too excited after the battle it witnessed. "What are you doing here anyway?" Law could feel her faint breath against his arm, and he was suddenly aware of how tired she was. The adrenaline was wearing off. "I'm pretty sure I said everyone."

She hoped she sounded casual—normal. She couldn't tell through the blood pounding in her ears. She watched his shaky grip tighten against the blade again. He's scared. Of me. She swore he was going to take the small semblance of sanity she still had away. She couldn't die here. She had just proved that her life was not to be so easily given away. Charlotte's gaze darted towards her discarded karambit. Only to snap back when the blade before her shifted.

Law pulled Kikoku back and straightened. "I'm here to bring you back to the sub."

"...That's it?" See, she was right. He was here to take away the last bit of sanity she had.

"You're saying you can get there in your condition? I'm amazed that you managed to win given your state."

"...Are you sure that's wise? Having a monster so close to those you hold dear?" She was dangerous—a monster, trained and bred to kill friends, family. Anyone. Just to live a day more. Hands tainted and forever stained in red.

Law watched the expressive huntress in silence. The air around her morphing with the surge of her emotions. Was this how she got the Deathbringer epithet? He couldn't help but think that it was stupid. He frowned, realizing just how badly traumatized the woman was to not realize something so oblivious. "What kind of monster makes that kind of face in a fight to the death?".

She patted her face. Shocked when her hand touched something wet. It was at that moment did Charlotte realized she had been crying. Fat tears rolling down her cheeks, endless and silent in their movement. How long have I been crying?

"I'm not here to kill you." Charlotte jolted, turning towards the retreating doctor. "I only move to stop you from killing him. If you don't want to kill, then don't kill. There's no need to push yourself to do something you don't want to." Charlotte inhaled deeply, wide platinum eyes glistening. "Plus, I am a doctor. I don't like to see others die if I don't have to." Law added as if she needed another reason.

For the first time ever, Charlotte was glad that her heart was displaced somewhere far away from them. Because had it been anywhere closer, she was certain her heart would have been audible to them both.

He sighed eyed the tears flowing freely down her face, yet not a single sound escaped her. Her lips held tight between her teeth. "It's okay to cry and to cry out loud. You're only human and humans are allowed emotions."

Charlotte hiccupped, and her shoulders shook violently at the words. Tears bubbling to the surface in waves, and Charlotte chewed her lip harder.

"Such unbecoming and disgusting behaviour." A masked female commented. Her expression was covered by the always smiling mask, but the tone of her voice was enough to shush Charlotte's already dying cries. The woman was disgusted at her tears. "What kind of monster cries at the death of those she killed? Just pitiful. I came here to watch a proper fight, not some wailing kid."

"If it bothers you that much, Honey, we can always pay extra to have her tongue squished."

She grasped her scarf with her good hand, shoving it against her face to muffle her cries and tears. The sounds coming out freely now. As if a monster would shed tears for the life of others. Law's sighed and kept his gaze focused before him.

"We should head back soon before the crew starts to worry and make their way back." He started after a while. He turned back towards the huntress when his vocal cue didn't seem to work. Charlotte still hadn't move from her spot. It took Law longer than he would like to admit to realize that she had fallen asleep, having exhausted himself out. He threw his jacket over her shoulders, covering her exposed back before lifting her princess-style, mindful of the wounds and her skin.

"... are you not going to ask questions?" Her question was a mere whisper like she was scared to hear the answer or borderline regretting the question.

He looked down at her. "Did I wake you?" Her attention was focused on a wrinkle in his shirt as it was the most entertaining thing in the world. "...Do you want me to?" The hand clutching his shirt tightened. The fist trembling against him.

The world spun. I had a choice? I can pick? Then... Her hand stilled and she shook her head.

Law sighed, knowingly, and eyed the mess around them. "I don't need to know unless you want to share."

Platinum eye widened and then soften. Thank you.

Law hoped she would share. The warning she gave them still ringing in his mind. She knew of the dangers and so she protected them all by shambling them away. Was this also why she came here 'on a job'? Was he the job? He frowned. She had meant to take it on all alone. The dangers. The pain. He looked at the thin and tired woman in his arms and he gritted his teeth. He needed to get stronger.

Law gaze dropped to his chest when the weight in his arms increased suddenly. "Oi, what's wrong? Charlotte-ya?!" His lips twitched upwards, realizing that she was truly asleep this time. He whispered quietly to her sleeping form, no real bite in his words. "Do you ever think of the consequence when you run headfirst into trouble? Don't think that just because I'm a doctor, you can get injured every time!"

Charlotte barely had enough energy left to keep listening much less respond.She settled for snuggling closer to the warmth that is Law and the HeartPirates. Mind drifting into unconsciousness. Just this once, she'll allowherself to feel happy for having a place to return, to recover. She can go backto denying it tomorrow. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.1K 254 6
What if Bepo wasn't who he appeared to be? Meet the real Bepo a young girl who's eaten the Bear-Bear Fruit Model Polar Bear. Due to certain childhood...
48.4K 1.3K 31
~My heart only beats when you listen for it~ Kona escapes from her life of imprisonment and crosses paths with The heart pirates. *kinda slow burn* ...
127K 4.8K 27
In their travel through the New World, the Heart Pirates land in an island known for being covered by a thick fog once every hundred years. However...
5.3K 284 13
You've been with your boyfriend, Trafalgar Law, for two peaceful years. Med school is going well for him and your writing is doing great, despite you...