Missing Piece

By xxAiri

Bounty hunter, "Bloody Boa" Charlotte, has perfect track record. How she manages to keep a 100% catch rate is... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 25

238 10 3
By xxAiri

Flipping the page, Charlotte's platinum eyes grazed over the edge of the book, peaking at the dark doctor still hunched over the Devil Fruit with spots. Same spot, same position as he had been in the last few days since they retrieved the fruit. At the rate it was going, Charlotte wouldn't be surprised if the fruit spoiled before Law was ready to leave it. How he managed to stay focused was beyond her, but she could tell he was getting tired too. The dark bags under his eyes were darker than normal. Then again, this had been their third all-nighter.

Stretching her eyes, she let them roll across to the other side, glancing at the brightening water through the porthole. Scratch that, fourth all-nighter. Groaning, Charlotte peeled herself from the couch. It had practically molded into her shape ever since she had claimed the chairs hers. Law was annoyed with her at first when she refused to sit in it properly; legs thrown over the armrest and back pressed against the seat while her head used the other armrest as a pillow. But that was his problem, if he had an issue with it, then he shouldn't have invited her to join him in his study. She was used to keeping tags on him from outside his study, not inside with the comfort of furniture.

Though that still begged the bigger question of why he invited her. What was he plotting? She questioned, suspicious, remembering the odd conversation that first night. He had opened the door to his quarters and asked her, "Isn't it more comfortable to sit inside versus in the hall? It's not like your keeping tabs on me is a secret." It was more comfortable. The plush loveseat or his large bed that she often claimed was far comfier than the metal floors of Polar Tang. It couldn't just be for comfort, could it? The reasoning ridiculous to her, yet for some reason, she didn't exactly hate it either.

Letting the blood reflow throughout her body, Charlotte exited the room and returned a few minutes later with a tray of giant onigiris and a mug of freshly brewed coffee. Truly amazing... She thought groggily with a yawn as Law grabbed the cup of coffee from the tray and brought it to his lips for a long sip, all without ever glancing up from his work. He returned the cup of coffee to the desk and moments later his hand was patting around blindly for the rice ball. ...not even a 'thank you'. He does know that the food and coffee doesn't just magically appear right? Ever since the crew found out that Charlotte could get the dark doctor to eat on a regular schedule, she became the designated person to ensure their Captain gets substance. A task that technically already fell within the hunting rules she made for herself.

She took a seat on the edge of the table whilst silently pushing the tray over so that one of the balls sat underneath his wandering hands. He picked it up silently and brought it to his mouth, completely obvious to the movement.

You're lucky I take care of my preys. Charlotte rolled her eyes but didn't say anything. Instead, she let him work, studying the mysterious male she found herself more perplexed at as time went by. He wasn't like the rumors made him out to be. He wasn't brutal, spoiled maybe, but respected by his crew. She could see why. He put in extra care and details for each of his crew, her included. Since he found out about the drawback of her abilities, he made sure to never 'burn' her by accident, ensuring fabric stood between them. Not only that, he made sure any and all wounds were treated. No matter how small or insignificant. You should replace rumors with actual facts. Charlotte pushed away the proposition Law had offered up last time. She still wasn't sure if he was being serious or not. Could she truly just ask? She hadn't so far, choosing to make mental notes of his behaviours instead. Action speaks louder than words. So, there was no need to ask, right?

She rubbed her arm, gaze fluttering down when she felt soft skin instead of tough leather and she couldn't help the smile that spread on her face. She stopped wearing the gloves from time to time, allowing her arms to breathe in the heated metal hunker ever since Law had mentioned it. He was the only fruit user on board, and he'd be cautious. This is nice. She thought, wiggling her naked fingers. He is ni—Charlotte caught herself. What was she almost about to say? She shook her head. No, he is the target.

Law felt his attention drift toward the huntress, unsure what to make of the look on the huntress' face. He doubted she knew her habit of wearing her emotions on her sleeve, and while it aided him in ensuring she'd follow his plans, he was at a loss for once. He wasn't sure if the constipated look on her face meant that she was insulting him, plotting to attack him, or just sleepy.

He paused mid-chew to look at the onigiri in his hand. The occasional umeboshi onigiri in the mix missing. He spotted a small mountain of plums sitting on the edge of the tray for Charlotte's easy picking. He frowned, partially in disbelief at the lack of expression as she nibbled on the tiny fruit. Rike was right; to think she was attentive to his picky food habits too.

"The fruit looks strange." Charlotte interrupted his thoughts and he turned to see her tuck a loose strand of hair behind her ear. The sour fruit gone. Her slender fingers naked for once. The gloves left over the back of the loveseat she's claimed. She's wearing them less. He noted and her next words brought him back. "The Devil Fruit I ate had swirls patterns. Same with all the ones depicted in the Devil Fruit encyclopedia."

Grey orbs darted back towards the sofa, to the book that he had stolen from the Marine base for her resting on top of the pufferfish plushie that the crew got her. She wasn't just spying on me. He thought with mild surprise and leaned back against his chair, stretching as he did so. He still remembered the look on her face when he dangled it before her.

He took off the Remedial Core to rub his eyes, and Charlotte vaguely wondered if he had taken the core with this purpose in mind. "That's because this Devil Fruit is artificial." Law explained and Charlotte's attention was drawn back to the strange fruit. "It's manmade."

That's news. Charlotte hummed and grabbed the Remedial Core, hissing as the burn seared across her skin. "It'll be faster to explain if we're both seeing he same thing." Charlotte explained as boxes of all details filled her vision. She hadn't missed the way he looked up at her, both in surprise, curiosity, and concern...? "What else have you learned?" She asked, pushing the last thought away. He's the target; targets cannot be nice.

"I'm surprised you're interested," Law commented, amusement lining his voice, but picking up the monocle again anyway.

"I'm interested in things that would affect my way of life, Doctor." Charlotte responded matter-of-factly, and then in more seriousness. "Do you think it could be mass produced?" While she may not have known that it was possible to replicate a Devil Fruit, she could only imagine the chaos it would bring. Especially to her. She shuddered at the thought of constantly coping abilities. Melting to death did not seem like fun.

Law nodded, catching on to her line of thought easily. That would be dangerous. The weight of power could shift drastically. He placed the monocle back on, boxes popping up on the screen again. "It's possible." He pointed towards one of the floating boxes. "As long as you have the key chemical SAD. Fortunately, it's not something I've ever seen or heard of before, so my guess is that it's hard to come by."

Charlotte's grip against the back of Law's chair tightened and Law attention pulled towards the huntress. Her eyes remained focused on one of the several boxes onscreen. The one with the product name. "I've heard of SMILEs before." She breathed, shutting her eyes tight and wishing she hadn't. A chill went down her spine. At least then she could have been in ignorance bliss for a bit longer. "They're already circulating in the Underworld. Or namely—Joker is supplying them."

Law swiveled his chair around, fully facing the huntress now. He folded his arm over his chest and crossed his legs, looking unimpressed. "You seem quite familiar with Joker." This was the second time she had mentioned the Donquixote family.

Charlotte kept her gaze on the fruit. "...Joker is the most influential underworld broker. It'll be a surprise if I didn't know of the man." Charlotte repeated the same sentence she said last time. She met Law's pointed stare with one of her own. "Though, I could be asking you the same thing. That Marine codenamed Corazon is Joker's brother."

It wasn't a question.

It was a fact.

She knew.

"Who are you to Joker?"

"What do you mean you're not coming with us to see Disco-ya?" Law growled, his hand gripping the huntress' covered bicep tighter. Charlotte watched the tattooed fingers around her arm for a moment before platinum eyes flicked to meet steely grey ones burning with restrained anger. "Disco-ya is our only lead to SMILEs."

Charlotte rolled her eyes. "I know, I'm the one who gave you that information." She heard about SMILEs before because Disco, one of Joker's trusted dealers, was asking around for it. If there was anyone on the island who knew about SMILEs, then it would be Disco.

"The plan wasn't for just information. The plan was for you to take us to Disco-ya!"

"What plan? The one you refuse to tell me or anyone about?" Charlotte shot back, her voice low and barely containing the growl underneath. "I'll ask you again: what is it that you are plotting and who are you to Joker?"

Law's grey eyes shone metallic, but Charlotte met the look with a rebellious one of her own. They've been at a stalemate ever since Law avoided answering the question.

"Should we be concerned? The two were finally starting to get along better." Milos commented quietly while watching the two practically snarling at each other.

"Nah, that's just their usual spat. Stalker Witch probably did something stupid again." Cole said while kicking his feet out as he strolled across the deck, uninterested.

"I think you gave enough orders for one day, don't you?" Charlotte hissed and scanned their surroundings. They were back on Sabaody Archipelago with the intent to cross over to the New World this time. Which meant it was more imperative now than ever that they learned Haki. At least a few of them. "Besides, I have other things to do."

Law pulled back, but his grip on her arm never lessened. His lips pulled into a grim line. "You better not be thinking of running off now that we're back on Sabaody Archipelago." He warned. If memory serves, she wanted to be dropped back here in the ten minutes she held him.

"And give up on my hunt? Please." She scoffed, throwing a ribbon of purple hair and her signature scarf over her shoulder. Then she glanced back at him with a look of raised brow. "Didn't you ask me to teach the crew Haki? We're crossing over, right?"

Law's grip slipped from her arm, "You're actually going to teach them Haki?" He repeated, surprised and the others piqued up at the statement. Despite the declaration, the huntress hadn't acted upon it. Not even once. What changed?

"What's it going to be? I track Disco down for you or I teach the crew?" She stated her condition. A photograph of the Disco held between two gloved fingers. She grinned when he snatched it from her with a grumble. She had won this time. "Disco lounges around the Human Shop in Grove 1."

It took them hours to find Disco. Far longer than it would have if the huntress didn't decide to rebel against him. Like Charlotte said, the man stayed in Grove 1 near the Human Shop he owned. What she didn't say was that the Human Shop became bankrupt since their last visit on Sabaody Archipelago which made it a tad bit more difficult to track down the owner. They scoured all over the Groves 1 through 9 only to realize what Charlotte's words actually meant—the man didn't stray far from the shop.

The once flamboyant and eccentric man was now no more than an angry man. His previously clean-shaven look now ragged with torn clothes and a scruffy beard. Though his signature hat and sunglasses remained, albeit beaten and battered.

"You're blocking the sun!" The haggard male grunted, arm reaching back to throw the empty wine bottle at the intruder. He paused mid-throw. "It's YOU!" He scrambled to his feet and held a small knife shakily in his wobbly hands. "THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!" He lunged forward towards the doctor.

"CAPTAIN!"

"I'm fine." Law reassured easily. The blade struggling against the scabbard on his sheathed Kikoku. Even without Haki, Law could easily avoid the stab. His crew was always overzealous when it came to him. He turned his attention back towards the ruined male and the three wanted posters littered across the floors: Straw Hats, Eustass, and his own. His smile widened when he noticed that his bounty was higher than when he last saw it. There must have been a new release that they hadn't seen yet. Took them a while to account for the marine raid. He thought while making a mental note to grab the morning papers after this. "Majority of the credit goes to Straw Hat." Law corrected, attention returning towards the man still struggling to pierce him. "You and I have some other business to discuss." Law stepped forward, pushing the drunken MC back with each step.

"I-I have nothing to say to you! I'm ruined because of y-you!" After the incident where a Celestial was attacked in his shop and his goods freed, he hadn't been able to recover the Human Shop trade.

"Again, Straw Hat did most of that." Law repeated and with a flick of his wrist, he sent Disco tumbling to his butt. The tiny knife sliding out of reach. Law crouched so they were both at eye level. "I'm here to discuss something else. I want to know more about this thing called SMILEs. What are they and where do they come from?"

"You too?!" He made a move to drink from his empty glass, staring at it in confusion when the cool liquid didn't reach him. "Why is everyone interested in those damn fruits! First Joker and now you! The damn things don't even work! Only 1 in 10 grants the user abilities."

They're defective?! Law thought, frozen for a moment before he recollected himself. It was good that he held the crew back from eating it back then when Charlotte's couldn't deduce the ability of the fruit after touching it. Not that she knew if her ability worked with an uneaten fruit. "What else do you know about them?"

Disco ignored him, continuing his rant as if he hadn't heard Law. "It was so difficult to run the shop after Joker swapped over! I've tried so hard to get into that line of business, but I poured so many years into slave dealing! I don't know anything about manufacturing chemical weapons! All I managed to find was that there's only one person who knows how to make them and Joker's already involved with him!"

"Who's this man?" Law pushed, but the grumbling man ignored him. Law stood back up and stared at the remains of the ruined Human Shop. If Disco studied up on SMILEs and Charlotte's analysis on the man was right, then his notes and findings should be nearby. "Search for a book, notes, anything!" He ordered and Bepo responded with a quick 'Aye, aye, Captain' before dispersing.

Law glanced down at the shell of a man now clinging to his leg. "Joker—Doffy—he, he cut me off! Told me not to call him again because of what happened. He hasn't picked up since that day either... the day where you—YOU!" Disco fell backwards, refusing to let go of the leg as Law walked forward, seemingly unhindered by the added weight.

"As I've already told you. Straw Hat did mos—"

"Why are you still walking free?" Law paused, turning back towards the man now lying on his back, being dragged around. "Bloody Boa never fails a hunt. She's one of the fastest hunters in all of Paradise and she never fails a hunt. How are you still here?"

"There's a first time for everything." Law interjected smugly, finding strange pride in the fact that only he had managed to break her perfect score. An outlier against her many captured.

"No, there's too much at stake here... she waited four months for you to arrive here. There's no way she'd give up ... she-she brought you here, didn't she?" His mouth split into a delusional smile. "She brought you to me! You're my golden ticket! Maybe he'll listen to me now! I-I need a den den mushi! I need to make a—"

"Captain!" Law turned at the voice and caught sight of a worn-out notebook in Bepo's hands. He pulled his leg free from the delusional vagrant and made his way towards the bear. It just the crazy ramblings of a man who lost it all. Law told himself as he made his way towards Bepo. Charlotte doesn't participate in slave trading. She hates the Human Shop, and anything related to it. There was no way she was connected at all. She was just a bounty hunter and him a bounty.

"Tell me. What is your relation to Joker?"

Law glanced back over his shoulders towards the sudden multiple additional bodies in the vicinity. Their weapons pointed at him. "What's the meaning of this?" He scowled towards the hunter groups now surrounding him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

127K 4.8K 27
In their travel through the New World, the Heart Pirates land in an island known for being covered by a thick fog once every hundred years. However...
17.6K 320 11
You are a girl that has been stranded in the seas for awhile. After awhile of being on a pirate ship you had gained their trust. Once you did you dec...
656 22 6
This story is told in third person, but it only shows what the reader goes through. I will be skipping other POVs in the story. This story will be e...
9.1K 254 6
What if Bepo wasn't who he appeared to be? Meet the real Bepo a young girl who's eaten the Bear-Bear Fruit Model Polar Bear. Due to certain childhood...