Missing Piece

By xxAiri

Bounty hunter, "Bloody Boa" Charlotte, has perfect track record. How she manages to keep a 100% catch rate is... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 15

275 11 0
By xxAiri

"Remember sixteen paces and then there's a table somewhere and four more." Penguin informed again.

He and the rest of the Heart Pirates were attempting their escape in the dark as well following the breadcrumb clues that Charlotte had left them. Though they weren't making it out as gracefully as the huntress did. Each of them hugging different parts of the cell or walls, slowly inching their way across in the room they couldn't see.

Another loud crash as something else fell to the floor among with the several other items they knocked over already trying to feel for things in the dark. "Guys! I found the table! Or maybe it's a water cooler... nope, it's a table!" They were lucky that all the guards returned home for the day. This was probably the loudest jail break anyone had ever attempted.

"Good now, just four paces!" Penguin called back towards their younger member. "Does anyone remember if she said left or right?"

"Try both!" Cole yelled, his voice far off in the distance and the other two wondered where he had gone off. The man cursed. He had just stubbed his toe on something hard. "We gotta hurry! She's probably after Captain again."

"That's most likely true." Shachi agreed with a light laugh. He sounded like he was on the opposite side of the room.

"That's no laughing matter!" Cole snapped. He shuffled back the way he came from, trying to retrace his steps to follow whatever path Rike took seeing as how he was the one closest to the exit. "Captain's in danger!"

"When is Captain not in danger? We're pirates!" Shachi retorted with a grin. He knew and trusted Law enough to know that Law could handle himself against the hunter. She may be fast, but their Captain was smart.

"Why are you always at heads against her?" Shachi asked after a moment. The rest of them had been friendly and albeit cautious towards her, never really butted heads or purposely riled her up as much as Cole did. "She was the one who told us when to rescue you and Rikers." Rike had clarified for him what had happened when they were caught.

"Let's not forget that she got us out of Marineford." Penguin added.

Cole rolled his eyes at that. How could he forget, he was there. But oh, how the rumors have spurred. "She did that to save her own butt. We were just lucky collateral!"

"She may say that, but it doesn't change the fact that she did save us." He didn't buy her act one bit when they asked her earlier. Even if they were just lucky collateral, they still owed her for the save. Not to mention, if her goal was to only get them out of harm's way, then why did she volunteer to take care of the marine ship? Marines didn't chase hunters as long as they didn't do anything cause too much trouble.

"I also don't think she's as bad as you think." Rike added after a moment's pause, he smiled at the others though none could see it. "Even though she doesn't want to, she still abides by Capt's orders in the end. She came on the island and didn't cause any trouble either, and earlier she was teaching us Haki. She even left cage door open for us."

"She probably forgot to close it!" Cole retorted quickly. He huffed, scowl deepening on his face. "I'm like this because ya lot are too easy going. Acceptin' any dangerous stranger in just like that. Need I remind ya that she was an enemy just yesterday after Captain's head?"

Penguin beamed when the object he had been groping started resembling the shape of a table. He was making his way across. "We let you in pretty easily too, didn't we?" Penguin commented, his voice not matching the achievement rushing through his system. He grinned, sending a smug lilt into the darkness. "Should we have been harsher with you, Mr. Ex-Marine?"

Cole shot a glare back in the direction of Penguin's smug voice only to remember the other couldn't see it. He rolled his eyes instead, drawling the feeling into his voice. "Why do ya think I'm like this? Someone gotta make sure. She could be dangerous."

"Is there something you know on her from your marine days?" Rike asked, jolting slightly when a hand slapped against his arm. The two patted blindly at each other's face. Rike beamed. Penguin had made it to the table where he was at. On the other hand, Penguin had a confused look on his face. Why hadn't Rike moved from the table yet? There were only four steps until the door.

Cole hugged the water cooler awkwardly, trying to bypass it. He frowned. "...No," He replied begrudgingly. His hadn't met or worked with any bounty hunters in his past life. The idea of them didn't sit well with the traditional marine's sense of justice. It was just if they brought in more trouble than they cause, the marines would turn a blind eye to them. For the sake of the greater good was what they were often taught. "But it doesn't mean she's not dangerous!"

Shachi's hands curled around what he thought was a wall. Quickly, the redhead groped at the sudden hole. Four edges and a hole. It was a window! He pulled himself quickly towards the ledge and he peeked out at the slight pink dot in the far distance. His readjusted his shades back on his face, grinning. "I think the sun's coming up!" He turned into the still mostly too dark to see room and pointed out towards the window where the sun was starting to rise.

He shivered as strong gust of wind shook his bone and he wished he remember where he had shed his parka due to the heat. It was probably somewhere still back in the cell. The slight light became brighter and Shachi turned towards the open window again. His jaw dropped to the floor at the sight.

"I found the door!" Rike informed eagerly. His hands blindingly grasping at a round knob. It felt like the doorknob. He twisted it and pulled the door back easily. Reaching forward blindly, the kid tapped the space before him before sliding his feet forward a step. His hand pressed against something cold and hard and wet. He pulled his arms back, wiping them at his pants in confusion. "Or not..." he muttered.

Penguin frowned from behind the young medic. He had followed his voice and he had taken the four paces towards it like Charlotte had mentioned. This should be the exit. "Is something there?" He reached out over the younger's shoulder, hand pressing into the cold and solid wall. "What's this?" It was solid but it also gave way slightly when he pressed into it.

"Penguin, Rike. I think we may be snowed in." Shachi voiced from the other side of the room and the three other pirates turned towards the voice in confusion. Snow? But it was burning hot just yesterday. How could there be snow? Especially snow that could have survived that grill-like ground. Their complaints died though as their eyes caught the slight morning light bouncing off the endlessly thick white snow that covered Zāles.

A head appeared in the small window frame, eclipsing the rising sun, hanging upside down. The strange trumpet-shaped gun cocked before the upside-down face. A net shot out sending Shachi toppling back from the stack of boxes he had unknowingly been climbing to get to the high window.

Three other nets shot out quickly afterwards grabbing the escaping pirates.

The child no older than fifteen grabbed the window still and smoothly flipped himself through the opening, landing on the box that Shachi was standing on moments before. He patted his hands, the gun strapped to his back. "Told you, Lyas-nii, the thieves were planning an escape." The boy said, turning back towards the window where an older male with the same brown hair tied in a single braid was slipping in through the window as well. Both of them wore the same white cloak the pirates had seen on the guards the day before, though it was now lined with sheep fur underneath.

Lyas patted his younger cousin's head, an annoyed look on his face instead of the excited one the younger was sporting. There were dark circles under his eyes. "You don't have to tell me." He grumbled, other hand reaching to pick at his ears. It was hard to not notice that when the group had been so loud throughout the night. He scanned across the four pirates. "This has probably been the lousiest escape ever. And loudest." He had wanted to come shut them up during the night, but it wasn't Working Hours yet.

"How did ya guys get here so fast? The sun literally just rose!" Cole hissed, kicking at the ground for some leverage to at least sit up.

Lyas turned to look at the man, but before he could respond back, Epoch did. "We live right next door, you dolt! Bleh!" He said eagerly and stuck out his tongue and pulled on the skin underneath his eye.

"Epoch, you're saying too much." Lyas warned sternly, his arms folded over his chest. He raised his gaze from the apologizing kid and glared out at the others. "Didn't you think about when we left? The sun was practically set. We couldn't have travelled far before Working Hours ended. Not that it seems like you thieves respect those, trying to escape all night long." He droned, sighing into his hand. "I can't believe that after a full night of trying you still couldn't make it out." Their little station wasn't even that big. "I can't believe the ones who managed to steal the Remedial Core were only of this level."

"Hey!" The group shouted annoyed and insulted.

"You try moving around when you can't—ACHOO!" Shachi sneezed suddenly, snot flying out of his red nose. "Ah," he said spotting the kid before him covered in stringy green mucus. "Sorry for sneezing on you. Do you mind wiping my nose for me? I can't... uh, reach." To prove his point, he shifted his arms stuck to his sides.

"Epoch!" Lyas shouted, rushing down the stack of boxes. A mask suddenly covering his face. He reached the young kid, turning him around to face him. He noticed the kid's weakened gaze and red cheeks and forehead. This was bad. Quickly, he reached into his pocket to wipe at the snot, but a hand reached to stop him.

"It's too late." Epoch muttered weakly. He picked up the clean handkerchief himself. "I'm sorry, Lyas-nii... I was careless." He managed between coughs, each one sounding far worse than the previous one. "I should have worn the mask before entering."

Lyas gripped at Epoch's shoulders tighter, tears gathering at the corner of his eyes. "I-I promise, I'll get the Remedial Core back. So, hang in there, Epoch! You got to hang on! Okay?" He shouted, his free arm reaching to grasp Epoch's smaller hand. It slipped from his hand a moment after, hanging limp next to the young boy. "Epoch? Answer me, Epoch! Epooooch!!!" He screamed into the air.

The four pirates stared at the scene befalling them awkwardly. Penguin leaned in next to Rike, "That's a bit dramatic, don't you think?" He said and the young doctor nodded.

"Look, I'm sorry for sneezing on your brother." Shachi started awkwardly with a sniffle. His face twitched, feeling another sneeze coming up. "But it's just a sneeze... it's not like he's dead or anything." He managed, stifling the sneeze.

"Y-you!" Lyas rounded, eyes flaring behind the slits of his mask. He lifted Shachi by his collar and raised his other hand for a punch. The other pirates tensed at the sight, scrambling to their feet at the threat. "He may as well be!" Lyas spat, slamming the pirate down against the ground. "Tell me where the Remedial Core is now!"

"Get off him!" Cole hissed, throwing a kick at the other who easily dodged. Lyas watched as Cole flopped over Shachi who groaned underneath him. Their balance thrown off with their arms bounded. He glared up at Lyas. "How many times do we have to tell you, we don't have that stupid core!"

"It's not stupid!" Lyas shouted louder, anger flaring. Stupid. How dare they call it some stupid thing. "It's the only thing that can save Epoch and your friend's life right now!" Lyas pointed at the fevering pirate squirming underneath Cole's weight.

"Save?" The pirates asked and their attention darted to Shachi and his quickly worsening condition. "Oi, Shachi, ya ain't looking so well...AHCHOO!" Cole asked before sneezing as well. He shivered, a sudden chill wracking over his body.

"Oi, guard! What's going on with them?" Penguin asked suddenly, urgency lacing his voice. Cole was now hanging limp over Shachi who was barely keeping consciousness now. Both their faces red and breaths uneven.

"...It's the seasonal flu." Lyas muttered after a moment hesitation. They really looked like they had no clue as to what was happening. "It's a plague that overtakes the island whenever The Change happens. It is a highly contagious and fatal illness. The only known cure is the Remedial Core, but that was stolen a few nights ago."

Rike and Penguin shot each other a glance. The story just as Charlotte explained. "I'm a doctor! Let me have a look. Can you tell me more about this seasonal flu?" Rike said suddenly and stepped forward.

Lyas looked at the young stranger hesitantly. He was barely any older than he was, and he claimed to be a doctor who could help. His eyes locked with the serious one of the only other viable person in the room who simply nodded.

"Please. Tell me what the symptoms are. I can treat—AHCHOO!" Rike sniffled and blinked through his wet eyes to those staring at him. His eyes widened as he realized he was the one who had sneezed just now. He paled, eyes wide and matching the shocked looks of the other two in the room. He was also sick!

Oh no.

The world spun and in the next moment he could see Penguin calling for him, arms still bound to his side unable to assist. Rike panted, vision blurry and body temperature rising quickly. He couldn't help anyone if he was sick too.

"Rike! Rikers! Can you hear me?" Penguin shouted, glancing worriedly at the younger male. He had fallen fastest of the group. "Oi, what is going on? Why is it worst for Rikers?" He asked, teeth grinding together when the other still seem hesitant on answering. His hands clenched tighter into fists, and he struggled against the net hard. "Answer me now or is this really how you want it to end for your cousin?"

Lyas looked away, his fists shaking slightly. "The younger ones are most susceptible." He muttered under his breath, cursing their luck that they were infected while the core was gone. The core was stolen at night and while these four bumbling idiots disregarded working hours, they couldn't see through the night and now they're also infected. He doubted that they could have pulled it off. "Hey," Lyas called, lifting his gaze towards the last one standing. His face wrinkled into a sneeze. Lyas quickly jumped out of the way, hand pressed against his mask. It's presence reassuring him of his safety. "Weren't there one more of you guys? Where's the girl?"

"Ah, her?" Penguin sniffled, wrinkling his nose again. He wished his arms were free to rub his nose. It was so itchy. "She—" he sneezed, "She, uh, left first."

"In the night?"

"Yeah... she can see through the night." He said and then snapped his head towards the seething guard. "Ah." He just said something he shouldn't have, didn't he?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

348K 10.3K 36
Kanna, the daughter of Donquixote Rosinante (Corazon), is searching to find the truth behind her fathers death. After being kidnapped and sold off a...
23.6K 685 23
This story is exactly how the title sounds, a dating simulator with Law from One Piece in a modern AU. This story will be updated daily so the reader...
2K 127 14
In a world where many accidents may happen.. You are a Cardiac surgeon who's been working their entire life to get this job. But what happens when yo...
48.4K 1.3K 31
~My heart only beats when you listen for it~ Kona escapes from her life of imprisonment and crosses paths with The heart pirates. *kinda slow burn* ...