The Royal Romance

By Norris099

Love awaits in the royal court of Cordonia as New Yorker, Riley Brooks, compete for the Crown Prince! Will sh... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
A Special Thanks

Chapter 8

55 3 0
By Norris099

In the wintry duchy of Lythikos...

Hana and Riley are getting ready for the ball. In the dressing room of Hana's suite, she springs out from behind the curtain, wearing a silver, shimmering dress!

"Ta-da! How do I look?"

"Wow, Hana, you're going to set the ball on fire. Everyone's going to be talking about your dress."

"You think so?"

"I know so. Hell, I'll force people into awkward conversations if I have to."

Hana laughs, "Come on, let's pick your dress out so we're not late to the ball."

"Hmmm... what would a royal wear to a ball like this" Riley thinks. Going through all of the dresses, she finally decides on one called the snowflake sweetheart. It is a long elegant blue dress with sheer sleeves decorated with crystals.

"It's so beautiful. You look like a magical snowstorm."

"I feel like a real princess in this dress." Riley twirls around in the mirror and admires the tulle of her dress as it sways back and forth with her movements.

"Shall we be off?"

"After you, Lady Hana."

Arriving at the chateau's ballroom, Riley spots Maxwell across the room. He bows to her and Hana.

"Ladies... It's a pleasure to see you both tonight. And Lady Brooks, I must say, you look utterly becoming. Truly, a diamond of the first water."

"That's... unusually formal of you. What gives?" Riley nudges Maxwell's arm and looks at him intensely.

"Tonight I'm representing the Duchy of Ramsford at this important social event."

"That sounds like something Bertrand would say."

'He's been calling me all night to remind me."
"Ah... you've got to be on your best behavior or else Bertrand will get on your case."

"Pretty much."

"Ooh, Olivia hired a full orchestra to play tonight." Hana claps her hands in excitement.

"I've heard you're quite the musician yourself, Hana." Maxwell eyes Hana.

"Oh, no, I'm not."

"Really? I feel like I remember hearing that you were a virtuoso pianist."

"I still play from time to time, but only for fun."

"I'd like to hear you play sometime." Riley chimes in as she listens to the wonderful sounds of the orchestra.

"I actually found a piano in the parlor here. I was considering sneaking over there to play tonight... you're welcome to join me, Riley. But for now, we should be getting our seats."

Riley glances around the room, noticing the fancy name cards at each place sitting.

"Where are we sitting?" Riley searches for her, Hana's, and Maxwell's names, but can't seem to find them.

"About that." Maxwell turns to the girls with an apologetic look, "Turns out I'm sitting at the head table with Olivia and the Prince... but you two are at the farthest table in the back. I guess Olivia put together the seating plan."

"Olivia's making me sit in the back? I'm just happy to be invited. I'm actually surprised Olivia hasn't locked me in my room yet!"

"Heh. While something like that is unlikely, I wouldn't give Olivia any ideas."

Hana chuckles, "Agreed. She already has enough schemes on her own!"

"Sorry to leave you guys, but..."

"Don't worry about me and Riley. We will make the best of it!"

As Maxwell goes to the head table, Hana and Riley find their way to the back... and spot a familiar face, Drake.

"Welcome to the table of exiles."

"Drake? I'm actually glad to see you. And here I was worried that we'd be stuck with some stuffy nobles."

"It's probably meant to be a bigger slight that we're with a commoner Riley." Hana pats Riley's shoulder to reassure her.

"Well, Olivia missed the mark this time."

"Thanks, Brooks. That actually means something coming from you."

Riley starts to feel good by being surrounded by her friends, but she's longing to see Liam. She starts to have a pit in her gut and tries to distract herself.

"Drake." Hana says as she gives Riley an understanding look, "You don't seem bothered at all to be seated in the back."

"What can I say? After enough years of getting treated like this, you build up a thick skin. Besides, back here? Out of the spotlight? At least we can relax."

Riley watches the swarm of servers carries dish after dish of delicious food to the other table.

"The food looks amazing. I hope they'll serve us soon! I'm starving." Hana holds her stomach as it lets out a small growl.

"I wouldn't get your hopes up. Where we are seated, we'll be the last to eat. If there's even any left by the time they get to us." Drake rolls his eyes and puts his face in his hand.

"But... the lobster bisque... do you really think we'll go hungry?"

"Not if I can help it." Riley scans the room and targets a server who is walking toward her. "Hey... excuse me?"

The server walks pasts her without saying a word

"Your failure made a nice appetizer." Drake laughs as Riley scoffs at him.

"That's okay. I'll get him on the return trip."

"Oh, Brooks, no. I wouldn't count on it."

"Oh well. I'm sure the food will show up eventually."

Thirty minutes later...

"Wow.. the service here is terrible." Hana puts her head in her hands to admit defeat.

"All by design." Drake signs.

"Even if it's on purpose, at least it's not the worst service I've had."

"Hana, you've had worse service than this?" I've had better traffic in New York than the service here."

"Believe it or not, I've been to a wedding where the food wasn't served until midnight. They got hideously behind schedule and decided to do an open call for speeches before dinner. It took hours!"

"Oh, heavens." Drake sarcastically raises his hands in mock despair.

"Drake!" Riley gives him an angered look as he grins at her.

"I can tell you a real horror story. Let's set the scene. Causal get-together. Lots of people I don't know, but that's fine. There's a bar, man's true best friend. So I figure I'll grab a drink. I go up to the bar, and they're out of whiskey!"

"Drake, didn't they have other drinks?" Riley smiles at her snide joke and allows him to continue.

"No, no. You don't understand. We're talking about whiskey, the best of all drinks."

"Haven't you tried anything else? Wine, cocktails?"

"Why would I drink not-whiskey when there's whiskey?"

"Variety?"

"I'm starting to question your taste, Brooks. It's too bad we probably won't see a real drink at dinner. From what I've seen, Olivia's got quite the stash."

"From what you've seen?" Hana looks at Drake with curiosity.

"I did some exploring, and I happened to stumble across her wine cellar."

"Really?"

"Yeah. It's pretty impressive, actually, and not a bad place to get away from all this for a while. Why don't you join me there for a drink tonight, Brooks? If you're not afraid of sneaking out after hours..."

Before she can reply, a server comes to their table with the first course.

"Finally". She eats a spoonful of lobster bisque... and it's cold! And devoid of lobster. She places her spoon down and lost her appetite.

"So, it's not just me.." Hana holds her stomach again with a disappointed look.

Drake pokes his food, "I wanted one thing today... and they've taken it from me."

Just then, the musicians begin to play... Olivia gets up and addresses everyone.

"Hello, dear guests, and welcome to the Nevrakis family's chateau. It means so much to me that you would join me in this place that's so dear to my heart. I hope you enjoy the festivities tonight as much as I will. Now, everyone, please join me up front to begin the Cordonian Waltz."

Hana looks up with a worried look, "But we haven't finished eating!"

"I don't think she cares." Drake says as he tries to take another bite.

"Well... let's do this."

Hana and Riley get up from the table and start heading toward the dance floor. Maybe this is Riley's chance to see Liam. Drake hangs back, looking uncomfortable.

"Aren't you joining us, Drake?" Hana asks with a polite stare.

"Waltzing isn't my thing. I'll be here with the... food..."

Leaving Drake at the table, Maxwell, Hana, and Riley head to the floor and see the Prince asking Olivia to dance.

"Olivia, may I have this dance?"

"Of course. Anything for you, Prince Liam..."

Olivia curtsies as the Prince sweeps her into his arms. Riley can feel her stomach start to turn and her jealousy rising. The competition seems only to get harder for Riley.

"It would be unspeakably rude for Prince Liam to not dance this waltz with the hostess..." Hana says trying to calm Riley's nerves.

"I guess that's what happens when you have a home-court advantage..."

Maxwell places his hand on Riley's shoulder, "That doesn't mean you won't dance though... in fact, Lady Riley, may I have the honor of this waltz?"

She smiles at him, "Maxwell, it is I who would be honored."

He bows to her. "My lady."

Before Maxwell can lead Riley out, Hana draws close to her, whispering, "I'm certain you'll shine out there! Don't forget what we went over last night... when he steps forward, you step back. Relax when he spins you, and try not to get dizzy by focusing on something solid!"

"Thanks, Hana!"

"Shall we?"

She takes Maxwell's hand, and together, they became part of the loose circle forming on the dance floor. Maxwell puts one hand on her waist and raises her hand in a classic ballroom pose...

"Oh god... wait for a second, do you even know the Cordonian Waltz?"

"I practiced with Hana, but a little warning from you would've been nice."

"Sorry... I knew I was forgetting something..."

"It's fine. Hana was an excellent teacher. Now it's time to see if all that practice paid off!"

As the music picks up, the couples begin the waltz. Maxwell steps forward... and Riley moves backward. Maxwell guides her into a pretty glide down the length of the room.

"Very nice, Riley."

"I try."

Just ahead, she sees Olivia grasp Liam's hands and glides into an elegant spin.

"Hope you're ready for this..."

Maxwell grasps Riley's hands and starts spinning her around... she relaxes into it and Maxwell swings her around in time to the waltz and she laughs.

"Now, here we go... last move..."

He twirls her so that she's facing out, her back to him as he draws her close... she feels his arms around her. She closes her eyes and can imagine Liam holding her tight. She quickly snaps out of it so they can continue the dance.

"Maxwell... this seems a little bit scandalous for the ballroom."

"The Cordonian Waltz is a romantic dance... In the old days, it used to be that this waltz was the only way for a couple to flirt."

"I can see why. It's very intimate."

They sway together for several beats before Maxwell lets go of her hands, gently pushing her forward.

"Time to switch partners. You'll go through the same steps, so just do what you did with me, and you'll be great."

Riley glides forward, and on the next strain of the waltz, she's in Liam's arms...

"Liam!" She smiles up at him and her heart sighs.

"Why, hello there." He gives her a wonderful smile in return and takes her hand.

"Fancy running into you."

"You mean, on the dance floor of a private ball during a choreographed waltz?"

"Well, when you put it that way, it seems inevitable I'd run into you... but to be fair, I haven't seen a lot of you lately."

"True. I've been preoccupied. Olivia is the hostess... and I'd be remiss in my duties if I didn't spend time with all of the women here..."

"Liam... I understand that. You're not just marrying for yourself. It's for the Crown..."

"Yes." He begins to turn sad, "No matter how I feel... well, we'll have to see what happens in the coming weeks..." As he leads Riley into the twirl and holds her against him, he lowers his mouth to her ear, "But Riley, you should know... you are special to me..."

He spins her out of the move in time to the music, and she holds his gaze... until Olivia glides into Riley's field of vision.

"Ahem. Lady Riley, I believe he's my partner now..." She has an angered look in her eyes.

Riley reluctantly lets go of the Prince's hand, dancing back to Maxwell.

"Watching you two together, I can tell Prince Liam cares about you a lot."

"Yeah... but... our relationship is so strange. It's not like he can just sweep me off my feet and carry me out of here."

"When you're royalty, the rules are different."

"I know that... and yet..."

She trails off when she sees Maxwell's surprised expression.

She turns just in time to see Olivia lean in close to Liam and... KISSES HIM!!!

Riley gasps and feels a horrible pit in her stomach again. She's stunned as Olivia wraps her arms around the Prince. After way too long a moment... the Prince gently pulls away.

Riley wanted to cry and throw up at the same time.

"Olivia, uh, let's... talk. Perhaps outside..." the Prince says as he guides Olivia out, looking as stunned as everyone else.

Maxwell leads Riley to the sidelines where the other ladies are gossiping over Olivia's move.

"Well, that was a bold play..." Penelope says as she still has a surprising look plastered on her face.

"Little Olivia is growing up. How sweet." Madeline laughs it off, looking a bit too overconfident.

"Aren't you upset by that?" Riley asks her, still too stunned.

"Ostentatious displays are for those either unrefined or insecure. I am neither."

"We always knew that she and the Prince were close..." Penelope says as her look turns to sadness.

Kiara walks over with anger in her eyes, "It was a power move if you ask me."

Maxwell takes Riley's arm, "Right, excuse us, for one moment. He leads her away from the other ladies. "We have a chance to play a little politics here."

"Is this kind of politics where I get strategic and try to gain an advantage?"

"Exactly! Look at Kiara. She's clearly upset at Olivia's display. And she's alone by the appetizers right now. This is what we call an opportunity. You should get on her good side. If you can drive a wedge between her and Olivia, it might weaken Olivia's position. And if Kiara has good things to say about you, it'll help your reputation at court."

"I'll give it a shot."

Riley crosses the ballroom and approaches Kiara.

"Excuse me, Lady Kiara?"

"Oh! Lady Riley. Comment ca va?"

"Lady Kiara... ca va bien." Riley says even though her French is rusty but nevertheless, still impressed Kiara.

"Magnifique. What can I do for you?"

"Let's discuss Olivia. What did you think of her little display?"

"I can't believe her. She wouldn't have the guts to do that anywhere else. She's gone mad with power here."

"I think Olivia went too far."

"She only did what we were all wishing we could do. If anything, I have to give her credit for pulling it off."

"But that doesn't mean we have to stand here and accept it. We need to stick together. Otherwise, we don't stand a fighting chance against Olivia."

"Are you proposing an alliance with me? I wouldn't normally entertain the idea, but you are fitting in remarkably well... you certainly look like you could be an important ally."

"Yes. you should be my ally because I'll support you. Olivia's friendship seems like a one-way street. Why should you always let her get her way?"

"You make a fair point."

"We all need someone to speak well of us. We can help each other out."

"That's not a bad idea."

"We need to have each other's back if we're gonna take down Olivia."

"You know... we could both benefit from a little well-placed support here and there."

"I'm glad you see it the same way."

"Now if you'll excuse me, I should mingle with what time I have left. A bientot."

As the night wears down, Riley mingles with the other guests and dance more. At the end of the evening, as she's on her way out of the ballroom, she feels a gentle tap on her shoulder.

"Hello, Lady Riley." Liam smiles at her and she can't help but smile back, "As usual, you are a vision. You look lovely."

He takes both of her hands and kisses her cheek.

"Liam... I'm glad you found me. I was afraid I'd have to leave this ball without seeing you again."

"I know we haven't seen each other much this trip."

"It's been a hectic few days."

"A strange few days. I spend all of these events rushing from person to person, trying to say the right things, and keep up all the nobles happy... but at night, I find myself lying awake for hours in the grand suite, unable to sleep."

"The grand suite? That sounds fancy."

"Oh, it's the best room. It's upstairs at the end of the quiet east wing. It comes with everything... even a hot tub under the stars, overlooking the mountains."

"Sounds... romantic..."

"It would be... with the right person. Unfortunately, I've got no one to share it with." He gives Riley an inviting smirk and she can't help but melt.

"Maybe I can help you out with that."

"Oh? Are you sure you can manage it?"

"I'm not making any promises... yet."

Suddenly, Penelope pops up to them, "Prince Liam? If I might interrupt?"

"Of course. I know we haven't spoken all day, Lady Penelope. Lady Riley, good night."

Liam winks at her as he kisses her hand and then turns to Penelope. How can one be so sexual yet so princely at the same time?

Later in the night, Riley makes her way through the chateau's foyer when something catches her attention...

Upstairs, she sees a light flicker on in the east hallway that leads to Liam's room. She stealthily moves through the foyer, carefully testing the staircases for creaks before taking a step. Suddenly, she hears someone descending the flight of stairs above her! She hops the railing and hides under the stairs.

"Hello?" Tariq calls out as the wooden floor above Riley creaks with every wandering step. "I'm just going to go over here... please don't murder me."

The footsteps turn and fade away. Riley quietly makes her way up the stairs and into Liam's room.

"Welcome. I take it nobody saw you." He waves at her from inside his room which is full of lavish decorations fit for any royal.

"I was stealthier than a cat on the prowl."

Liam offers her his hand. "I want to show you something."

She takes his hand, and he leads her to the patio outside.

"Wow.. this view."

"Beautiful isn't it?... now you see why I wanted to share it with someone."

Riley glances down at the hot tub. In the reflection of the water, she can see the bright moon outshining the stars. All around both Liam and Riley were candles creating a warmth.

"Did you... light these candles for us?"

"Oh! I..." he begins to look frazzled and then takes her hand, "Well, yes. I wanted this to be... magical."

"Liam..." She grabs his arm and nuzzles her face into him.

"Was it... do you like it?"

"I think..." She picks her head up from his arm and stares into his eyes. "I'm going to have to show you how much I like it." Standing on her toes, she leans into Liam and pulls him into a deepening kiss. "Does that answer your question?"

"Yes ma'am. He stares back into her eyes. "Riley, I've never really had someone that I wanted so badly to please. I feel like I'd do anything to see you smile and know that I was the cause."

"Liam..." her eyes light up and couldn't help to have a smile on her face.

"Ahem. Now, I don't know about you, but I'm ready to get into the hot tub."

Liam begins to remove his shirt revealing his sculpted abs and rippling muscles. He turns to hang it on the railing showing off his back muscles. Riley finds herself wanting to trace the lines in every nook.

"Your turn."

"You know, I've got all these layers, and we could be here all night if I don't have a little help removing them."

"I would be a terrible gentleman if I didn't help a lady in need."

Liam gently unzips her dress and helps her step out of it, letting it fall to the ground. They both stand only in their underwear under the frozen moonlight.

"Wow... this is brisk."

"Then let's warm-up."

Liam holds out his hand and Riley takes it as he leads her into the hot water

"Ohhh. This feels nice." Leaning against a soft jet, she melts into the water.

"There are few things better than a hot tub in the snow." "Riley. I feel like I've been waiting for this moment, the entire trip."

"I know what you mean. Liam, we're finally alone together."

"Exactly. I feel like I can be myself around you. You don't know how rare that is for me. I've spent so long building up an image for the rest of the world... but you let me just be Liam."

"I happen to like Liam."

"I'm glad to hear that. You may be the only woman here who truly knows me. That's why I've gotta be careful with you."

"Careful?"

"I would never forgive myself if I... if I hurt you in any way."

"I know what I'm getting myself into. Besides, you're the model of a good person. You're always thinking of others and putting them first... whether it's Olivia, your people, or your friends. You're loyal, caring, and sweet. I feel lucky to know you."

"You're far too kind, Riley."

"I'm just calling it as I see it!"

"I thoroughly believe that if you thought I was a pompous ass, you wouldn't hesitate to tell me. I trust you, Riley. Everything you say." He leans in closer to her, "Maybe that's why I'm drawn to you."

She leans in, pressing her lips against Liam's. He strokes the side of her face with his hand, staring intently into her eyes.

"Riley..."

"What is it?"

"I was just thinking... what does love mean to you?"

"Love is... sacrifice, dedication, and commitment."

"All important to making a relationship work."

"What about you?"

"I don't know that I've ever thought about it in the past. I certainly wasn't raised to have an expectation of romance in my life. It was only when I saw my brother fall completely in love that I realized how important... how life-changing love can be."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying... oh, Riley. I shouldn't be saying anything to you, not right now. Part of me is furious with myself that I'm not treating everyone fairly like a good prince should. But the other part of me wants to damn all these princely responsibilities and throw myself into you."

"Liam... I could throw myself into you..."

"I know... and I probably wouldn't resist long. But I don't want to do something you might come to regret... even if you don't feel that way now. At this moment, let's just enjoy this little time together while it lasts." Liam wraps his arm around her. She rests her hand against his shoulder. "I treasure all of our moments together, Riley."

"Me too."

The two of them watch the snowfall and the moonlight beam over the mountains.

As the night deepens...

"Riley, it's getting late."

"Yeah..."

"We should head in."

"You're right. But I enjoyed it while it lasted."

"Me too."

"I'll see you soon?"

"You know I can only stay away from you for so long." He kisses her forehead and helps guide her out of the hot tub.

Riley makes her way to the chateau's foyer and she hears music. It's coming from the parlor and it's Hana playing the piano. Sudden exhaustion hits Riley and she relaxes her muscles and deicides to head to bed and sleep.

A few days later, Maxwell and Riley go outside with their luggage to find everyone gathered.

"Looks like everyone's just about ready." Maxwell takes Riley's bags and loads them into the car.

"I can't believe it's time to go." Olivia shows up with a devastating look.

"I'm ready to get back to somewhere a little warmer." Kiara chuckles as she hands over bags for loading.

"There you are, Riley!" Hana exclaims, Are you excited for the Royal Regatta tomorrow?"

"The Royal Regatta?"

Maxwell turns towards Riley as if he remembered to tell her, "That's the ceremonial boat race. Your next big event! You've been to a regatta before, right?"

"Uhmmm"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

897 127 63
BOOK TWO OF SERIES PLEASE READ FALLING FOR HIM FIRST! YOU WILL NOT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING IF YOU READ THIS BEFORE BOOK ONE!!! If you read the note at t...
12.3K 668 20
Young Regina Mills is expected to Marry Leopold, but a chance encounter with a Captain, will change Regina's life. Her mother, however, doesn't appr...
271 26 9
The epic TRR crew has gone their separate ways. Maxwell and Riley have split apart just before the wedding. Fast forward over seventeen years later t...
28.7K 560 36
---Disclaimer--- I don't own any pictures posted here. Photo credit is given for each photo used in this book. We all know how handsome he is and gi...