The Royal Romance

By Norris099

Love awaits in the royal court of Cordonia as New Yorker, Riley Brooks, compete for the Crown Prince! Will sh... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
A Special Thanks

Chapter 3

79 6 0
By Norris099

It's the night of the Masquerade ball and Riley just spotted Prince Liam across the ballroom, standing alongside the King of Cordonia.

"I guess this is it... I'm going to talk to him..." She wipes out the creases in her dress and fixes her hair. She glances towards Maxwell who gives her a warming smile.

"Great. Looks like they're ready for you. Now, I'm going to present you to King Constantine first. You'll want to make a good first impression on him, so he'll consider you a worthy match for his son. Then you'll get your big chance to talk to Liam. "

"Thanks, Maxwell". Riley thought in her brain who wasn't already nervous and was worried about tripping. She remembers what Olivia told her about kissing the King's shoe. Was it true? she thought. She shrugged and decided to just be herself and see how far that gets her.

"Okay, I've got it."

Maxwell steers her over to the king, who's seated on a raised dais.

"Your Royal Highness," Maxwell starts as he puts a hand on her back, "May I present Lady Riley Brooks?"

The King looks at them with a welcoming smile, "Of course." The King says as he looks at her expectantly.

Riley decides to ignore Olivia's advice and curtsy. She drops a smile and bows her head. "Your Highness".

As she lifts, he still has a smile across his face, "It's a pleasure to meet the suitor Lord Maxwell's house has chosen. I hope you enjoy your time in Cordonia."

"Thank you."

Maxwell escorts her away, and she falls in line behind some ladies waiting to see the Prince. She thinks she made a respectful entrance and hopes the King thinks so as well.

"Lord Maxwell, huh?"

"That's my title. You could refer to me as 'His Lordship' from now on if you really want."

"Eh, I like you better as a Maxwell," she chuckles as the line moves forward. Her heart is in her throat ready to come out at a moment's notice. She can't wait to talk to him.

"Now, look sharp. Here's your big moment! Don't blow it." She playfully punches Maxwell in the arm as they get closer to Liam.

Suddenly, Maxwell steps aside. She takes a deep breath and steps forward, alone.

"Hello. You'll have to forgive me, but I don't think we've met." Liam's voice sends chills through her skin. She forgot she was wearing a mask, so he probably can't tell who she is. She decides to play along with the facade.

"We've actually met once before."

"Surely I would've remembered" He starts to look a little startled.

"I suppose the mask is doing its job."

"Will you give me a hint?"

"You were surrounded by your men."

"That's not much of a clue."

"And you owed me a drink."

He looks up at her with excitement and a sparkle in his blue eyes.

"Riley, I thought I'd never see you again." He moves almost taking her hand, but then steps back realizing his place. Riley remains poised and a little saddened that they can't touch. It's all that she wants to do right now.

"So, this is a good surprise, I hope?"

"The best. But how did you get here?"

"Maxwell and his brother are sponsoring me. He brought me here to join the other suitors."

"Really? That's amazing! I can't believe you came all this way for me."

"Liam, I know we have something special. I want to see what it can be."

"I feel the same way."

His words make her head spin and she can't control her mouth having the biggest smile.

"I don't want this moment to end. If it was just us in this room there would be no distance at all."

Prince Liam reaches out and touches her hand but after only a moment, his guard clears his throat.

"We're not in New York anymore, though, Riley. The rules here are different. This entire series of events is set up not just to give me time with my potential matches, but also to give my parents, the Council, and the people of Cordonia time to get to know the future queen. From now on everyone will be watching you."

"That sounds fun!"

"I knew you'd be up for the challenge. I'm sure you'll charm them just as you've charmed me. Unfortunately, the receiving line isn't the best place to talk. We only have a few more minutes before the next lady arrives."

"In that case, I want to know how are you holding up?"

"At a time like this, you are asking about me? That means a lot to me, really. This whole thing... It's a lot of pressure, but I knew what I was getting into. The princes of Cordonia can only have so much say over who they marry, and I understand why. It doesn't make it easier, but it's what I was raised for."

He relaxes a little and leans closer to her. Just then, the next noble lady approaches. He regains his stature and looks a little stiff again. Riley wants to reach out and give him a hug, but she holds back the urge. This is going to take some getting used to for her.

"Sorry, our time is up."

"I understand. We really aren't in New York anymore, are we?"

"No. I hope to see you again later tonight if you'll save a dance for me."

Maxwell joins her as she walks away from the Prince. The more distance put between them, the more she longs to be with him.

"Liam looked really happy to see you."

"Yeah, but is that going to be enough? I also have to impress the royal court and the people of Cordonia."

"Don't worry. You'll have plenty of time for that. And my brother, Bertrand, and I will be there to help you every step of the way. Remember, we want you to win this thing."

"Right."

"For now, it's a good start to get to know the other courtly ladies. They're your competition, but you might be able to make some of them your allies. Bertrand and I are helpful, but the more people you can get on your side the better."

"I'm on it."

Waving at Maxwell, she walks outside to join Olivia, Hana, and the other noble ladies as they get drinks from an ornate table display.

Olivia walks up to her enraged, "Riley, you were awfully familiar with the Prince. You didn't say that you knew him."

"Olivia, can we go back to how you lied to me about kissing the King's shoe?"

"Hah! That was hilarious, wasn't it? Come now, you can't begrudge me for a little prank. You are the new girl, after all."

"Well, hazing's over." She glared at her.

"It's over when I say it's over." She stares down at me, trying to make me seem small. "Listen, you should know that whatever happened between you and Liam, you don't really have a chance with him. You might have been able to capture his attention when it was just the two of you, but you can't keep up with the ladies here. We're from the finest families in Europe, and we've been training and preparing our whole lives to marry a prince. You can't just waltz in here at the last minute and steal him from us. Kiara here is the daughter of a diplomat and is fluent in ten languages."

She gestures toward a woman dressed in a long black lace dress. Her hair is straight and glossy with the color as black as a raven.

"Le Prince va tomber amourex de moi."

Olivia continues on, "Penelope can track her lineage back through six hundred years of royalty."

A woman in a strappy blue dress turns toward Riley. Her hair is short, curly, and black with strands of brunette. "It's an honor to represent my people here."

Riley turns back towards Olivia who puts on a devilish grin, "Even Hana's been training to learn the courtly graces of conversation and seduction."

Hana looks over towards Riley with a surprising stance, "Uh, thanks?"

"But if anyone's got the inside track with Prince Liam, it's you, Olivia. You've known him his entire life." Penelope chimed in.

Olivia places her hand on Penelope's arm and glances at Riley once more. Riley can't help but feel like an ant ready to be squashed by Olivia's shoe.

"It's true. We grew up at the palace together as childhood friends. Before his older brother abdicated, it was just assumed Liam and I would be married one day. I've got no intention of losing him to one of you harpies. No offense."

"Wait for a second, I can't believe the rest of you let Olivia talk like this," Riley says, backing away to keep her distance.

Penelope looks up at her, "She's only stating the facts. There's no point in being emotional about it."

Kiara walks a little towards her with a worried look, "We all knew what we were getting ourselves into when we came here, Riley. Didn't you?"

She thought she did, but maybe she doesn't. How can these ladies, who have wonderful attributes, let someone talk down to them. It's enough to make Riley want to punch Olivia in the face. That is if she was a violent person.

"Don't worry ladies," Olivia walks right up to her and smirks, "I'm sure little Riley will learn her place here, eventually. Or else I'll make her life a living hell."

"And what, exactly, do you think my place is here?" She walks closer to her, ready for a face-off.

"Oh, somewhere below Penelope and Kiara, but you know what? Probably above Hana. Though I am surprised Hana's here at all after what I heard about her last attempt at engagement."

"Olivia!" Hana exclaims. She starts to turn red in the face and teary-eyed.

"Well, we all know that your family will throw you at any available bachelor as long as it means you can climb another rung on the social ladder but honestly, it's a bit much to expect that Prince Liam is going to accept damaged goods."

Riley stands in front of Hana, trying to shield her from the devil inside Olivia. Her words had hit Hana too close to home, and someone had to protect her.

"I.... need to.... excuse me." Hana runs off towards the ballroom doors but I catch her right before she goes inside.

"Hana, wait. You don't have to listen to them."

"Thanks, but... What she's saying... it's...I'm sorry, Riley."

She shakes her head and walks through the doors to the palace. Riley turned toward Olivia engulfed in her rage.

"Girls like her shouldn't bother being here if they can't handle the truth," Olivia states with a laugh that will make your head spin.

"Olivia, you're acting like a child, not a queen. If this is how you behave, I wouldn't trust you with childproof scissors, let alone a kingdom."

"I... You can't.." Finally, seeing Olivia speechless gave Riley more power to confront her.

"I just did." She narrows her eyes at Olivia, not backing down. "If you'll excuse me, I'm going to enjoy my drink inside. Alone."

"Suit yourself." Olivia tried to compose herself and continued smiling as Riley walked away.

She marches away from the ladies and heads back inside the ballroom, fuming. It's like she's back in high school again with people trying to put each other down. She couldn't believe the nerve of Olivia. She just hopes that Hana is okay. She glances around but doesn't see Hana anywhere. Instead, Maxwell pops into her line of vision.

"There you are! You look upset."

"That's a word for it." She lets out a sigh and tries to compose herself.

"Well, no time to brood. The last dance is starting up, and I think you and Liam deserve one."

As the opening strains of a waltz startup, she turns to see Liam talking to Penelope. She can hear some of Penelope's conversations with him.

"It might be a little rude to cut in but..." Maxwell looks at Riley, cocking his eyebrow indicating this is her time to jump in and claim that dance.

"Say no more, I know what to do."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47 3 1
Imagine if Maxwell Beaumont had traveled to New York weeks ahead of the bachelor party. What if he and Riley met beforehand? A spinoff from Choices T...
20.7K 624 48
βˆΎβœ§γ€‚CARRY ON 【BOOK TWO】 ۡ∾ ❛LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL CARRY ON OUTLAST THE IGNORANCE MOVIN ON SURV...
755 36 28
Lily Starke goes to Cordonia for the man not the prince, even though his best friend is way more her speed. They push and pull her across the country...
104 18 8
King Uther of Forland is old and failing. His grandson and heir, Prince Richard, lives the good life: anything that gives him an adrenaline rush. He...