Against the odds

By Tonkatsu__

Well well well, how the table turns have tabled. I'm back with something new... not really but you get the po... More

Bio
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7

Prologue

1.4K 23 9
By Tonkatsu__

15 year old (Y/n) was sleeping peacefully in his bed enjoying his nights rest. The sun shone straight down onto his shut eyes slowly rousing him from sleep. He opened his eyes only to wince at getting an eye full of sunshine first thing in the morning. After a moment, he slowly opened his eyes once more, shielding them from the brutal rays of morning sunshine with his hand.

He was planning on going back to sleep but was interrupted by the sound of running coming from down the hall. Suddenly his door was slammed open.

???: "GOOD MORNING MY SOOOOOOONNNN!!!!!!"

His eyes shot wide open at the sight of a red haired man jumping into the air and holding his ankles behind him.

(Y/n): "DAD WHAT THE FU- OOF!!!"

He didn't have time to speak as his energetic father, Jin Araya, landed straight onto his solar plexus knees first, causing his eyes to bulge and him to involuntary release all of his air.

(Y/n) didn't have time to recover as he was swiftly pulled from his bed and onto the floor on his back.

Jin: "Come on! It's time to go!

(Y/n): "ARE YOU CRAZY YOU COULD HAVE KILLED ME!!!"

Jin didn't listen and just continued dragging his son.

(Y/n): "WAIT SLOW DOWN I'M STILL IN MY UNDERWEAR YOU LUNATIC!! LET ME GET DRESSED AT LEAST!!!"

His dad drops him and continues down the stairs

Jin: "Fine I'll be outside warming up! Hurry up lazy!"

His father headed down the stairs and opened a door followed shortly by the sound of another door with a bell on it.

(Y/n) laid there for a few minutes then sighed and stood to walk back to his room. Looking at the clock he saw it was 8 am. No one had business waking up this early and being that hyper! He pulled on a pair of (f/c) track pants and put on a matching track jacket. He sat down and put on his socks and stood before stretching his back and heading down stairs.

He opened the door at the bottom of the stairs to reveal a cozy looking dust shop with a counter and shelves of different kinds of dust and price tags among other things. Outside through the window he could see his father wearing a black and yellow tracksuit with a small backpack. He was warming up by jogging in place in the cold snowy weather. Well I guess sprinting actually would be more accurate. His father waved to the passing pedestrians who all waved to him with a large smile and small words of greeting. His father turned his head and locked eyes with (y/n). When he noticed (y/n) saw him he gestured as if to say.
"Let's go already! Come on you lazy bum."

(Y/n) grew a slight tick mark on his head as he slowly marched to the door. He opened it causing the bell at the top to chime slightly. The sign on the front of the store read "New Valley Dust Shop"

Jin: "Finally! Jeez I thought you'd never show up!"

(Y/n): "Shut up... it's early."

His father dead panned at him.

Jin: "It's 8:10?"

(Y/n): "Yah, like I said, early."

Jin: "Lazy."

(Y/n): "Old!"

(Y/n) stretched a bit trying to quickly warm his cold muscles. When he finished he nodded to his father

Jin: "Come on let's not keep her waiting."

(Y/n): "Yah. Light day today?"

Jin just nodded.

The two stretched a bit then took off running. "Light day" their asses they were practically sprinting!

Whenever (Y/n) got ahead his father would put in more effort until he pulled slightly ahead. Then (Y/n) would put in more effort to get slightly ahead. This process would repeat for sometime before the two began screaming at each other with effort as they raced through the streets of mantle. They continued until they suddenly both stopped in place.

(Y/n): "We passed it."

Jin: "Yep..."

They turned back around and continued running.
.
.
.
The two walked through a beautiful hilly, snow covered cemetery. They walked through the rows of headstones marking the final resting place of the kingdom's dead. The walked until they stopped at a lone headstone at the top of a hill. On it it read

"Here lies Lisa Araya"
"Huntress, Wife, and Mother"

(Y/n) and his father kneeled down infront of the grave. His father pulled the bag off his back and began searching inside. Reaching inside he pulled out a small bowl with two green incense sticks in it. He breathed in and blew two small embers at the sticks lighting them perfectly.

He placed it gently infront of the grave and reached in pulling out a picture of his smiling wife. She was a beautiful woman with long straight black hair, fair skin, and purple eyes.

Jin: "Hey Lisa. We came to give you a little update on what's been going on. Look your son is all grown up now. He's turning into a fine man. Not as fine as me unfortunately, that just isn't possible."

(Y/n) turned his head to glare at his father but his features softened when he saw his father. His father's tied back auburn hair seemed to lay flatter, his usually cheery and hardened face softened sadly, the happy glint in his eyes was all but gone.

Jin: "He takes after you a lot. Quiet, relaxed, well mannered, smart... hell even his fighting style is like yours. You should see it Lis, he's a natural... just like you."

(Y/n) was embarrassed by the praise but at the same time it hurt seeing his father like this. It was unusual and not in a good way.

Jin: "(Y/n)? Why don't you tell your mother what you've been up to?"

His father turned to him and smiled softly.

He nodded and turned back to the photo.

(Y/n): "Hey mom... I uh eheheh you know been the same mostly."

He scratched his cheek awkwardly. He breathed in to calm down a bit and breathed out softly watching his breath get carried away by the cold air.

(Y/n): "Like dad said, he thinks I take after you a lot. He always tells me stories about when you two were younger and fought together. He praises me a lot but he deserves some praise too. He kept me alive and didn't run the dust store into the ground so that's good. He even stopped smoking so that's good too. He's taught me a lot in the last few years. Haha even taught me how to cook. You should see it, he wears a pink apron when he cooks, oh yah he finally learned to cook without burning half of well... everything. And it isn't bad. I'm better but you know, of course I am."

The father scowled at his son before chuckling to himself.

(Y/n): "Oh yah I'm training to fight like dad said. I uh I know what I want to do. I want to follow in your footsteps and become a Hunter."

He paused as if letting his mother process what he just said.

(Y/n): "I know I know it'll be dangerous and I need to be careful. Dad already gave me the speech so don't worry he's doing his job. I'm not as good of a fighter as him yet, but he's putting me through hell so don't worry I'm getting there. Having a personal Hunter as a teacher is a really helpful way to fast track your training."

He and his father chuckled but suddenly stopped with a sweat drop.

(Y/n): "Of course there's no such thing as shortcuts, right dad?"

His father just nodded stiffly.

There was a gentle breeze of cold wind causing the burning incense to glow a little brighter. The two returned to their somber expressions.

(Y/n): "I miss you mom... I hope I can make you proud. Proud of the man I'm becoming, and proud of the Hunter I will become."

He put his palms together infront of his face and closed his eyes. His father smiled at (Y/n) before turning back to the grave and doing the same. The wind blew once more and the incense stopped burning leaving a smoke trail to flow upward.

(Y/n) and Jin rubbed the silent tears from their eyes.

After a few moments of silence Jin opened his bag and picked up the bowl and the picture before placing them back inside.

(Y/n) stood from his kneeling position shaking his legs out and stretching.

(Y/n): "Gah. My leg fell asleep. Ready to head back home?"

Jin: "Before we do that. I think this is as good a time as any."

(Y/n) turned back around raising an eyebrow to look at his father curiously.

The man stood up reach back into the bag.

Ok now (Y/n) was very curious.

His father pulled out a relatively large cloth bundle and handed it to (Y/n).

(Y/n) unwrapped the cloth neatly and saw a black lacquer wood box. He removed the lid and his eyes widened in shock. He looked up at his father.

(Y/n): "But this is-"

Jin: "Yes, it is."

His father gestured to the box and (Y/n) nodded dumbly before pulling out a sheathed short sword like weapon and gently handing the box and cloth to his father. He unsheathed it and stared at his reflection in the blade's single edge.

He looked back at his father once more who just rolled his eyes and nodded. (Y/n) placed the Saya (Scabbard) into his jacket pocket and spun the Tsuba (Hand guard). The grip extended itself into a pole arm. The sword became a Naginata. He performed a few basic swings and flourishes getting a feel for the weight and balance. Feeling more confident, he spun the pole arm around his body then swung right in a wide horizontal arc with his right hand resting the pole arm against his back to stop the momentum. The swing's power blew away a crescent shape of snow on the ground revealing the dirt beneath it.

He rotated the Tsuba once more collapsing the weapon back into it's short sword form. He stared at the blade once more before sheathing it.

(Y/n): "It's incredible!"

His father chuckled deeply

Dad: "Your mother would be happy knowing her 'shining light' will be put to good use once more."

(Y/n): "Yeeeeaaaah.... I'm changing that name."

His father scratched his cheek chuckling nervously

Jin: "Yah I was never crazy about the name either."

There was a cold howl of wind that made both boys shiver in fear. They began to sweat nervously.

Jin: "I think we made her angry."

(Y/n) just nodded.

Both males bowed to the grave and ran away.
.
.
Time skip brought to you by Chibi (Y/n) and Chibi Jin running away from the ghost of Lisa.
.
.
A year had come and passed, (Y/n) sat in an icy cave in a meditative position. Jin walked around his son slowly.

Jin: "Our semblance is special. We are one of very few examples of a hereditary semblance."

(Y/n) remained unmoving simply breathing in cold air and releasing hot air.

Jin: "We are Dragonborn. Within us reside the spirits of dragons. They are dangerous and destructive. They were once the enemies of mankind. However to us they are our strongest weapon."

For emphasis his father enters Dragonborn state. Scales grow along his forehead and shoulders, horns grow on his head, and his fingers turn claw like. His eyes shift from black to amber.

A/n: We'll put this here for reference.

(Y/n) breathes in cold air and breathes out hot air.

Jin watched as his son sat as still as a statue. His eyes widened slightly when yellow sparks of electricity arced across his son's body. He smirked as the lightning bolts continued to grow in number and frequency.

Slowly but surely things began to change. His hair began to stand up and float slightly. His skin turned slightly darker, grey scales began to grow and cover his skin on his forehead and forearms. His fingers became claw like, and a single glowing Yellow horn sprouted forward from the Orange streak in his hair. He opened yellow colored eyes and looked at his arms.

(Y/n): "It never gets any less weird."

Jin clapped for his son.

Jin: "You have good control. And on your 5th attempt too. Well done. Took me 12 just to get more than my eyes."

(Y/n) stood up and jumped in place, he felt stronger, faster, it was completely different from last time. He felt energy flowing through him like nothing he'd ever felt before. He closed his hand into a fist, feeling the energy course through it. Opening his palm he watched as purple electricity sparked from one clawed finger to the next.

Jin: "Lightning... it had to be lightning..."

(Y/n) turned and scowled at his father incredulously.

(Y/n): "What?"

Jin: "Could you have been anymore cliche..."

Jin put a hand to his forehead and shook his head sighing.

(Y/n): "Oh I don't wanna hear it from the literal 'Emperor of flames' shut that shit up! Your monicker is a cliche in it of itself!"

Jin turned his head back and looked oddly serious at his son.

Jin: "We aren't done yet. You still can't activate and deactivate this form on a whim. You also lack the control to utilize a small portion of your power at a time."

(Y/n) just raised an eyebrow at his father confused prompting Jin to continue.

Jin: "While this form may be our greatest weapon, it is also when we are at our most vulnerable."

(Y/n): "What do you mean?"

Jin: "After training this ability for years my Aura is cut in half when activated. For you, well you'll be pretty much empty. You should be feeling the effects right about now actually."

(Y/n): "Wha—"

He didn't finish as the transformation dropped and he immediately felt like he'd been in the fight of his life. He fell to his hands and knees breathing heavily.

(Y/n): (wheezing) "You coulda.... warned me!!"

He continued to pant and cough for air. His father just shrugged.

Jin: "I wanted to see how long it would take."

(Y/n) growled at Jin angrily. Jin just chuckled smiling.

Jin: "We'll work on it ok, don't worry. Just work on your stamina. You did good (Y/n)."

(Y/n) turned himself to lay on his back and felt the cold ice cool his sweat covered head and neck. He closed his eyes and nodded. This year was gonna suck. He could already feel it.
.
.
.
A/n: And so it begins. Please let me know if you want me to continue the story or not. I have notes backed up for other things to work on if this flops. Cheers!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.6K 1.1K 14
I hope you read the other Volumes First~ "This is the beginning of the end" And I hope those words are far from what they mean... Now we are back to...
61K 1.7K 14
now now now now! get this. team RWBY in the real world like those other books that do it but.... I add Salem to it
20.7K 233 10
So somebody asked me too make a second part so i decide to do it
61K 904 47
I DO NOT OWN RWBY ROOSTER TEETH OWNS RWBY THERE ARE SOME FEW SPOILERS IF YOU HAVENT WATCHED RWBY YET So this is just a fanfic for the readers who wa...