Card of Heart

By CourtesyTrefflin

After escaping Death Watch, Ahsoka Tano and Lux Bonteri confess their growing feelings for one another. As Ah... More

Chapter 1 - Deception
Chapter 2 - Reunion
Chapter 3 - Front Runners
Chapter 4 - Coruscant
Chapter 5 - The Wrong Jedi
Chapter 6 - Outside the Order
Chapter 7 - Clovis
Chapter 8 - Returning Home
Chapter 9 - Disorder
Chapter 10 - Revenge of the Sith
Chapter 11 - Order 66
Chapter 12 - Rescue
Chapter 13 - The Inquisitors
Chapter 14 - A Hint Of Hope
Chapter 15 - Tatooine
Chapter 16 - Together

Prologue

357 4 0
By CourtesyTrefflin

Author's Note: Welcome to this new fanfic, which is a collab between us and our youngest sister/bestest friend who goes by the name RexaTheCuteTiger here on Wattpad. :P

Updates will (hopefully) be every week on Saturday. :)

~ Amina Gila

Ahsoka's heart is pounding as the speeder she, Lux, and Artoo are trying to escape in zooms across the snow-covered landscape of Carlac. She can sense danger flaring through the Force just as an explosion rips through the ground in front of them, partly striking the speeder. Artoo squeals in alarm as the whole thing shakes, knocking Ahsoka over.

She looks up to see three members of Death Watch flying towards them, and they immediately open fire on her. Without wasting a second, she ignites her lightsabers and deflects the blaster bolts, sending one back at one of the three warriors. The person falls out of sight, and moments later, there's an explosion in the distance. But she doesn't have time to think about it.

One of the other two flies towards her so fast that she doesn't have time to react as she's tackled, lightsabers falling from her hands. A firm grip on her neck cuts off her air, effectively strangling her, and Artoo whistles angrily, doing something she can't see to distract the warrior. The second the helmet turns, Ahsoka Force shoves the Mandalorian away, and he — she? — flies through the air, crashing somewhere in one of the snowbanks behind them with a mighty explosion.

"That's two I owe you," Ahsoka groans to Artoo, rubbing her neck with a wince.

The last one lands on the back of the speeder in front of her, firing twice. Ahsoka scrambles to her feet and dodges out of the way, using the Force to shove the warrior's arm aside. The warrior lunges forwards, slamming a fist into the Togruta's head. They exchange blows in a deadly fast-paced duel before a sudden punch throws Ahsoka off balance, nearly knocking her right off the back of the moving speeder. She catches onto the edge of it, struggling to pull herself back up.

The warrior prepares to fire at her, but Lux jerks the speeder back and forth. She struggles to keep her balance, and Ahsoka uses the distraction to flip herself back onto the speeder. They throw several punches back and forth, before Ahsoka kicks the final Mandalorian backwards. He stumbles a few steps, and the Togruta raises her hands, Force-throwing the warrior backwards off the speeder.

Right before the warrior crashes into the snow below, he fires a blaster shot after them which misses spectacularly. Ahsoka balances precariously on the back of the speeder, watching for any more pursuers. None come.

Minutes later, they arrive at the location where they left their ship. Without wasting any time, they rush onto it, and Ahsoka fires up the engines, blasting away from the planet as quickly as she can. She doesn't miss how tense Lux looks as he sits in the seat next to her, and part of her mind drifts back to what happened in the tent. She knows that Lux only kissed her to prevent her from accidentally revealing herself to the Death Watch warriors who were entering the tent, but still...

She doesn't think it was until that moment that she truly realized what this strange... feeling she has towards Lux is. It's not quite like how she's cared for anyone before, even though she hasn't known him long.

She doesn't want to lose him, and though she may wish to deny it, she cares for him deeply. Too deeply even. Why does this have to be so incredibly hard? Why can't they just be together like they want to be? Lux didn't say it, but she could tell from the look in his eyes.

"Ahsoka, I can't go with you," he says quietly as she guides the shuttle further away. "You know that."

She closes her eyes against the onslaught of emotions. She knew this was coming, but that doesn't make it any less hard to hear. "But we can try... Try to change things together," she protests weakly, giving him a desperate look.

Lux's gaze flickers to the control panel of the shuttle, and he smiles faintly. "We do make a pretty good team, don't we?" Their eyes meet, and Ahsoka can see a deep fondness in his gaze. "Don't worry," he assures her. "We'll meet again. I promise."

"I don't want you to leave," she mumbles, struggling to keep her voice steady. "I -- I care for you, Lux." It was harder than she'd expected to say the words aloud.

There's something infinitely sad in his expression. "And I care for you too, Ahsoka," he whispers, "But my planet is with the Separatists right now, and you're a Jedi. We can't... not right now. After things settle down though..."

"You mean after the war," Ahsoka replies flatly, sighing. "That could be years."

"I know," he agrees quietly, "But it would be considered treason for us to remain in contact when we are on opposite sides. I can't – I don't want to just leave my planet, my home. I'm sure you can understand that."

And she can. Ahsoka knows that, much as she cares for Lux, she wouldn't want to leave the Order, leave Anakin, leave the Republic to join him. Maybe one day she might, but not right now. She knows she's still young, and anyways, she doesn't need to decide immediately. If she changes her mind later -- or if he does -- it will be easy enough to find the other.

"Yes," Ahsoka murmurs, smiling sadly, "Yes, I understand that. I wouldn't want to leave the Jedi so suddenly. The Order is my home, my family."

Lux huffs a laugh. "We make quite a pair then."

Ahsoka can't help but grin, even as sadness pools inside of her. They're only putting off the inevitable. Another moment passes, and Ahsoka lets the shuttle drift in space. They still have time, and she doesn't want to rush this.

He leans over kissing her lightly for a second. "This isn't a goodbye," he declares fiercely. "I'll be waiting for you."

She chokes back a sob that threatens to escape and throws her arms around him. She doesn't want to leave, but they don't have a choice. Ahsoka has never hated the war more than she does at this moment, even though, were it not for the war, she may never have met Lux. Actually, she probably would have, just differently. It's no use stressing over the what ifs.

Lux holds her for a long moment before pulling back. "I need to go," he says, standing up. Their eyes meet again, and Ahsoka can see how much he hates doing this.

"Be careful, Lux," she warns as he slowly steps back towards the door from the cockpit leading to the rest of the shuttle.

He smiles. "May the Force be with you, Ahsoka." And then, he's gone, disappearing through the door. It slides shut behind him, and Ahsoka soon feels his presence drifting further as he leaves in an escape pod.

"Come on, Artoo," Ahsoka states, trying to sound more cheerful than she feels. "Let's go home." She enters the coordinates for Coruscant into the navicomputer and makes the jump to hyperspace as soon as the shuttle is ready. She tries hard not to think about leaving Lux, forcing herself to remember that it is not goodbye. She will see him again, even if it's not for a while.

***

Lux has always tried to never do anything which he might regret, but it's so hard right now. He can't just leave his family and friends on Onderon to be with Ahsoka, even if he wants to. He fears that if he does, he'll regret it later and take it out on her, though she's not at fault. They have to wait, and waiting is hard.

He pilots the escape pod away from the shuttle, programming the hyperdrive to return to Onderon. The pod jumps to hyperspace seconds after he watches Ahsoka's shuttle disappear. For now, they have to part ways, but he'll never forget the young Togruta Jedi who stole his heart.

Even if he didn't recognize it at the time, he was making a mistake, one which he knows he would have regretted. The Death Watch would have killed Ahsoka simply because she's a Jedi and wanted to defend innocents. Lux doesn't think he ever could have forgiven himself if she was killed or if he actually joined that group of criminals. It's something his mother would never have condoned.

And maybe they're doing this all wrong. Onderon, like many other systems, left the Republic because it could no longer abide by all the corruption and remain in a place where its interests would be looked over in favor of the corporations. Ideals such as that is what resulted in the formation of the Separatist Alliance. But they had never wanted war. Sure, they knew it was a possibility, but they had hoped they could have peace.

Why would Dooku have had Lux's mother killed for something that everyone wanted? Why would he want the war to continue unless he has an ulterior motive? Honestly, Lux can't say anything for sure, but he senses that something is amiss. All he can do is find evidence to prove it, though even that will be a monumental task.

He sighs heavily, watching the blue and white streaks of hyperspace with unseeing eyes. Perhaps the solution is to focus on Onderon and what would be best for his planet. Only then can he actually work towards bringing this war to an end.

***

Anakin knows that something is amiss the moment Ahsoka returns to the Temple. After declaring that she's fine, she locks herself in her room and hasn't come out, even though it's long past time for their morning meal. Something happened, and he has to find out what. She's his Padawan, and if she's upset, he needs to know.

He waits another hour before giving up and going to knock on her door. "Ahsoka?"

She mutters something inaudible, and he can hear some moving around. "Yes, Master?" she calls back, sounding about as unhappy as she feels in the Force.

"Come on," he urges, "It's long past time for you to eat, so how about we go to the cafeteria, and you tell me what has you hiding in your room." She has classes to be attending too, also.

The door instantly slides open, and Ahsoka glares up at him. "I am not hiding," she huffs.

"You have been in here all morning, despite the hour," he points out, "We must go."

She shrugs, silently following him without complaint. "So?" he presses after they sit down at a table in the cafeteria and begin eating, the silence dragging on for much too long. "How did everything go? I know you went to ensure Lux Bonteri didn't get himself into trouble or killed."

"Everything was fine," she assures him. "We ran into Death Watch, but we got away without any problems." Yes, Anakin knew all that, courtesy of her official report to the Council about the incident, but he still had to ask her.

"What's Lux like?" he queries, sensing somehow that he might have something to do with Ahsoka's current emotional state. "Padme knew his mother quite well from what I've heard."

"He... Well, we didn't spend that much time together," she deflects, shrugging, keeping her gaze fixed on the plate in front of her. "He was focused mainly on trying to avenge his mother's death, so I suppose he's extremely loyal to people. He nearly got himself killed from recklessness, but he's a good person." Her lips quirk into a slightly sly smile. "He reminds me of someone else I know."

Anakin gives her a look. "I have no idea who you might be speaking of," he states dryly.

She grins. "I'm sure you don't," she answers sweetly. Anakin snorts, focusing on his food as he thinks about their conversation. He picked up a lingering, almost buried, feeling of affection from Ahsoka when she was talking about Lux. He was beginning to suspect something from the start, but that confirms it.

Final Notes: If you want to join our Discord to receive updates or just hang out, here's the invite link, and please delete the spaces! :) discord . gg / nqSxuz2

You can find us on tumblr at @fanfictasia (which is our more serious blog which does have controversial posts on it; I won't be offended if you choose to block it, promise), and @disastertriowriting (which is our fun blog with crack posts or incorrect SW quotes; we also advertise our SW gift exchanges on there)

And! We have a YT channel for tributes! Please delete the spaces in the link. :D youtube . com / channel / UC_g1M5rSCxJUzQCRS29B6pA

Finally, if you're interested, you can submit a SW gift fic request via the following form (delete the spaces): forms . gle / rmXWtRomMMaULuPa6

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 66 16
In a universe where Anakin defeats Palpatine, he's sucked through a wormhole into a different reality. The Republic is gone, transformed into an Empi...
4.3K 116 20
Obi-Wan Kenobi is dead. Except he's not. And Anakin Skywalker doesn't know how to cope with the crushing betrayal. "He knows he shouldn't hurt himsel...
30.8K 836 35
Book two of Ahsoka, Daughter of the Light. Ahsoka Tano has left the Jedi Order, after an incident where she was framed for bombing the Jedi Temple an...
7.5K 252 35
Ahsoka left the Order, and part of him went with her. After Anakin dies only weeks later, he thought it would be the end, but the Force isn't ready t...