Indigo's Owl [Indigo Rewrite]

Da Skyhuntress

When a monster lives in your mind, how far would you go to stop it? Athira long ago became the monster neede... Altro

A Quick A/N
Chapter 1 - Owl
Chapter 3 - When Pasts Collide
Chapter 4 - Better than Deserved
Chapter 5 - Training
Chapter 6 - Blackout
Chapter 7 - Mindscape
Chapter 8 - Monster
Chapter 9 - Weaponised Turtle
Chapter 10 - Crushing Dark
Chapter 11 - A Line Once Crossed
Chapter 12 - Broken Silence
Chapter 13 - Trust
Chapter 14 - Strained Solace
Chapter 15 - Red Flags
Chapter 16 - Interview
Chapter 17 - Dangerous Games
Chapter 18 - Newbie
Chapter 19 - Persuasion
Chapter 20 - An Offering of Cookies
Chapter 21 - Sleeper
Chapter 22 - Far Too Familiar
Chapter 23 - Nightmares
Chapter 24 - Preparations
Chapter 25 - The Underground
Chapter 26 - Wager
Chapter 27 - When Least Expected
Chapter 28 - Proof
Chapter 29 - Proposals
Chapter 30 - Trails
Chapter 31 - Laid Bare
Chapter 32 - The Weight of Responsibility
Chapter 33 - Project: Spectrum
Chapter 34 - Untethered
Chapter 35 - Stronger than Wrath
Chapter 36 - Silence
Chapter 37 - One Step From the Edge
Chapter 38 - Traitor
Chapter 39 - Taken
Chapter 40 - Faultline
Chapter 41 - One Last Breath
Chapter 42 - Within the Dark
Chapter 43 - True Wrath
Chapter 44 - A Tentative Truce

Chapter 2 - Starpoint Tower

368 66 35
Da Skyhuntress

Even at a distance, it was easy to find Starpoint tower from the air.

Or at least, what remained of it.

The ruin of the tower lay at the centre of the restricted zone — a large, dark area on Sirah's coastline that contained little more than rubble. Fourteen years had passed since the accident that destroyed the tower and several blocks around it, and the Elites had never attempted to rebuild the area. They had simply declared it dangerous and imposed severe consequences on anyone caught inside the zone.

Athira quickly levelled with the tops of the high-rise buildings that populated most of Sirah, staying well above the attention of the civilians that roamed the streets below. The wind this high was cold and biting. She stretched her bare arms out in front of her, savouring the chill on her skin. The runes etched in Blue along her arms and back still stung from the use of her Black, but these days, it was a rare moment when they didn't.

There was one positive side effect to the use of her Colour, however. As she flew towards Starpoint, Athira reached for the silver amulet engraved with a bird that hung from a chain at her throat. She pressed it to her sternum, finding the metal warm against her skin.

Talon? she thought.

Talon's voice fluttered through her mind. Present! How's my hatchling doing?

Reader's already at Starpoint, replied Athira.

Not good, said Talon. The next Surge isn't supposed to be until tomorrow. If Reader is causing them, he's moved up his schedule. He might know we're after him.

Athira grimaced. The thought did cross my mind, but there's still a chance he's just sensing them, not causing them. Wouldn't be the first time some insane Purple followed the whims of their Colour.

Talon paused. If Reader isn't causing the Surges and the next one is this soon, you can't be anywhere near it when it hits.

I know, Tal, replied Athira. But he knows something that we don't, and we don't have another two weeks to spend hunting him down. We're running out of time.

Talon's reluctant acceptance echoed through their link. I'll make sure everything is secure in here, just in case, he said. Be careful, Thira.

A few minutes later, Athira crossed the boundary into the restricted zone.

She flew low, weaving between the ruined shells of buildings that had once stood tall. The concrete chunks of rubble and rebar that littered the ground were strange to see. It'd been over a decade since the Elites had begun rebuilding the city with Redresin — a far more stable, Colour-resistant building material — which only made it weirder that they'd left the restricted zone untouched.

Maybe those conspiracy guys were onto something, said Talon, observing through Athira's eyes. This is weird. Not many people can cause this kind of destruction.

Guilt stabbed Athira in the gut. Not without hitting their breaking point, anyway.

I didn't mean— began Talon.

Doesn't matter.

Athira reached Starpoint tower, drifting across what had once been the street beside it. Though the tower's top was non-existent, the first and second floors remained mostly intact. The windows were shattered. The main door was ajar, and though Athira suspected it'd been that way for a while, the small, silver balls scattered inconspicuously by the entryway looked new. When she moved closer to inspect them, the faint glimmer of Orange — the Colour of Technology — betrayed them for what they were.

Someone's here.

Deciding to avoid whatever alarm Reader's goons had left behind, Athira phased through the outer wall of Starpoint a few metres to the side of the main door. She found herself floating in a large, foyer-like space, and, after spotting the trail in the dust, she kept her boots off the ground and followed it.

Before the accident, Starpoint had been a dual-purpose building. The left half had been an Elite operating centre, while the right half she now drifted through had been a Keeper base. Once home to a team of people that had protected the city, now all that was left of them was rubble, dust, and a few scattered belongings.

The trail led Athira through a hallway, down the stairs, and into a basement. She followed it through what looked like a store room, weaving between the shelves until the trail abruptly ended against the wall. She pressed a gloved hand against it to test it, and after it didn't budge, phased herself through.

When she found herself at the top of a steep, descending stairwell, Athira just sighed.

Surge epicentres were always underground. This was a hidden entrance to somewhere well below ground level.

Fan-tastic.

Still, she'd come too far to turn back now. Athira trailed the scuff marks in the dust down to the wide, reinforced door that lay at the base of the stairs. There, she braced herself with one last deep, steadying breath, and phased through.

Bright, eerie Blue light was not what she'd expected to find on the other side. It took her eyes a moment to adjust, to realise the light was coming from several glass pillars that spanned floor to ceiling of the cavernous room. The grey, tile-covered walls were etched with gigantic Blue runes — and though the Colour of Language was always expressed through runes, they were usually the size of her palm, not three times her height.

This is, uh, excessive, said Talon, echoing Athira's thoughts as she carefully drifted forward.

Near the centre of the room, a man stood on a raised platform in front of a console attached to one of the largest pillars. With the silver mask that covered the lower half of his face and his styled maroon hair, Athira recognised Reader instantly. She floated high, staying behind him as she closed in. His Purple didn't seem active, but details on his specific ability were scarce and with the Colour of the Mind, you could never be sure.

The cracked, grey tiles covering the floor crunched beneath Athira's boots as she landed at the base of the platform's ramp behind him.

"Step away from the console, Reader."

Reader lifted his hands off the orange-lit console and glanced back over his shoulder. Aside from the grapple guns strapped to his thighs, Reader had nothing significant on his person.

"Well," he said, his voice light. "This is unexpected. I wasn't aware I was the Owl's next target."

"Congratulations," said Athira. "Are you causing the Surges or following them?"

"Straight to the point I see," said Reader, his mask glinting in the runelight as he turned to face her. "I'm afraid you'll have to be more specific."

"The psychic waves of energy — whatever you've been doing for the last few months," said Athira. Reader gave her a blank stare. "The station two weeks ago. The club five days ago. Here at Starpoint tower."

"Psychic waves, you say? I suppose that would make sense." Reader turned back to the pillar and tapped a finger against his mask where his mouth should have been. "I must admit, I wasn't quite sure what I was following. I've been trying to figure it out myself."

It wasn't the answer she'd been hoping for. "If you aren't causing them, how are you following them?"

Reader considered her for a moment before casting a thoughtful look across the room. "I have a source that often shows me curious things. Even if I'm not quite sure why, I like to investigate, just to see who shows up." His eyes settled on her. "I think it's rather interesting that you showed up."

Athira folded her arms. "And why is that?"

"You see, Miss Owl — may I call you that?" Reader sauntered down the ramp towards her. Athira didn't budge. "I've heard rumours about you. About your Colour. The... lesser minds of the Underground are either terrified of you or refuse to believe you exist. Why are you chasing these... Surges?"

"Who's your source?" said Athira.

Reader sighed. "You do make it difficult to hold a civil conversation, don't you?"

"Says the one who won't answer a simple question."

"Your questions are boring," he said, waving a hand in her direction. "It's far more interesting where these Surges have led us. A hidden site at the ruined Starpoint tower, and with such an unusual setup!" He spread his arms wide, casting his gaze across the large, Blue pillars around them. "Whoever was using this space attempted to contain something very powerful. The basic containment shape is correct, but their form was completely wrong, which could be what caused the explosion that destroyed this area all those years ago. It's all rather intriguing."

He had a point. This basement was strange, but the secrets of Starpoint weren't her primary concern right now.

"And as fascinating as that is, I'm not following what this has to do with who your source about the Surges might be," said Athira dryly.

Reader gave her arms a meaningful glance. "I thought you of all people would be interested in runes, given how prominently you display those."

He stepped closer again, but this time, Athira lifted a hand.

"Ever heard of personal space?" she said.

"A concept I respect wholeheartedly," replied Reader with a shrug. "I merely wish to see your runes for myself. Despite being a Purple, I have a vested interest in the Blue Colour. As the Colour of Language, I find it highly useful in my studies." He extended a hand towards her, palm up. "If you grant my curiosity, I would be more than happy to satisfy yours."

I don't like this, said Talon.

Neither do I, replied Athira. But Reader doesn't seem the type intimidated by threats. He's insane, but he's civil and he knows something we don't.

Reader's hand waited for hers.

"Just looking. Understand?" she said, hovering her wrist above his grasp. "Then you answer every question I have, no matter how boring you deem them."

"Of course," said Reader, inclining his head. "A look is all I require, I assure you."

Athira lowered her hand.

Reader held her hand delicately, as if he were admiring a piece of art.

"Interesting," he said, running a finger over the skin of her forearm, unflinching despite the heat it gave off. "Though I don't see why..."

Reader's voice trailed off. He hovered in a space between two runes, his eyes tracing another shape she couldn't see.

"Curiosity satisfied yet?" she asked when he remained silent.

When he looked back to her, his irises were ablaze with a Purple light.

His voice was a whisper. "Tell me, Miss Owl, does the word 'Rathe' mean anything to you?"

Athira stiffened. "How do you —"

Reader's stare was hungry. His grip tightened. "So, you do know what lurks within you."

Athira snatched her hand away. Her arm burned, the Black writhing in her mindscape like she'd just used it to lift a building.

Thira? Talon's voice cut through the fog around her thoughts. She blinked, trying to pull herself together, to shake off the haze on her thoughts. Athira, what's going on? There was someone in here!

"What did you do?" she said, curling her fingers into a fist.

Reader kept staring, that violet gaze drilling straight into her head.

"By merely touching someone, I can see their mindscape, Athira," he said. Dread shot down her spine. "Their mental landscape, the source of their Colour, where every crevice, every aspect of their mind, every thought and fear and memory is laid bare." He tilted his head, eyes narrowed. "And yours... yours is vast, guarded by something that escapes me, but I saw enough. I saw what those runes hide. I saw the thing that lurks within you. Your... problem, you call it?"

He reached for her again.

Jagged streaks of Black spiked across Athira's skin as she levitated off the ground, bringing herself level to his height.

"If you saw my mindscape, then you know what I'm capable of," said Athira, her voice hard. "You know I don't have an issue removing any problems who get in my way."

Careful, Thira, warned Talon. Breathe. Homicidal tendencies are bad, remember?

"Oh please," said Reader. "You may be more skilled than most, Athira, but I assure you, I will be much harder to break. You have potential, and you're wasting it."

"As devastated as I am that you're disappointed in me, you still have questions to answer."

"In due time," said Reader with a wave of his hand. "I'd rather see what this Surge does to you first. You seem rather desperate to stop them."

Black curled around her fist. "If you think I'm waiting hours before you answer anything, you're—"

"Hours?" Reader laughed. "We're right on time."

She felt it then, buried beneath her temper. The slowly building nausea at the back of her throat, the only warning she got that a Surge was minutes away.

We need to leave, said Talon.

Athira set her gaze on Reader. Not without him.

Athira darted forward and grabbed Reader by the front of his shirt. He made a feeble attempt to free himself that she ignored, her eyes on the ceiling. She'd get them as far from Starpoint as she could before the Surge peaked. Once it'd passed and her Black was stable once more, she could—

A blast of Purple ripped through her mind, cutting the thought short and blinding her, both physically and mentally.

"Really?" she snapped; the anger bright through the daze as she kept her grip on Reader. "That won't—"

"No," said Reader, as calm as ever. "But this might."

Athira —

The chain around her neck snapped.

"What is it, a power booster? Really, Athira. So cliche."

He had it.

He had her amulet.

Still recovering from the mind blast, it took Athira far too long to react. "It's not —"

Without the main barrier holding it back, the onslaught of Black from her mindscape smashed into her. Athira let go of Reader and dropped from the air with a silent, choked cry, her knees slamming into the ground as the Black flooded her and the searing pain took over.

"Born of a failed paradise, then trapped between within the veil."

Reader's voice was a rhythmic beat inside her agony. She had no idea if his words were in her ears or her mind as she burned. She could barely think. Barely breathe.

"He will ascend to free this world and balance both the scales."

She couldn't hold it. Not without her amulet, without Talon. Athira clutched her head with one hand and barely aimed the other at the wall before releasing the Black. The ragged edges of the blast caved the concrete in, raining shards of crystal Black and grey tile across the ground.

It didn't help. Her runes still were blazing, her arms aching — but the initial shock was passing. The immense flood of Black was settling. It'd been years since she'd taken her amulet off. She'd forgotten what it felt like — the sheer power she commanded at the cost of this excruciating pain.

It was almost worth it.

The silver cuff around Reader's wrist blinked.

"We have company," said Reader, right as the sound of screeching metal shrieked above their heads. "And it appears they're making their own way in."

Athira grit her teeth, trying to shut him out.

Breathe. Talon would tell her to breathe. To focus on that one, central action and rebuild everything else around it.

Three newcomers descended from the hole in the roof, two with Red-shaped grapple guns, while the third crouched on a floating metal board. Their combat gear marked them as Keepers — one of many teams trained and funded by the Elites to help protect the city. It wasn't the first time Athira had come across Keepers, though she usually tried to avoid them, if only for their sake.

The Red Keeper landed first, dissolving his grapple gun for a shield and whip. The blonde woman was a Blue, and judging by the board, she was also an elemental. The third was unusual. Though his combat suit was green, he used Red to shape a lasso of his own.

More lives. More consequences if Athira didn't get herself under control.

"Ah, the Indigo Keepers," said Reader with a sigh. "I was wondering if you'd show up to vex me."

"Surrender, Reader," said the Red Keeper, lifting his Red-shaped whip.

"I understand you're just doing your job," said Reader, exasperated. "But we're in the middle of something important."

The Blue Keeper flicked her hair. "Blame your buddies that ratted you out. Are you going to come quietly, or do I get to have a bit of fun first?"

"I don't know about fun," said Reader. "Educational for you, perhaps, but —"

He shut up as Athira shattered a second blast of crystal Black against the ground that carved a crater in the concrete.

She got to her feet, fighting the urge to slam Reader into a wall just to feel him crunch. The fire biting at her mindscape was hungry for violence. The Black pushed against her, demanding release, and if she gave it an inch, she'd kill him. She had to keep reminding herself that any answers died with him.

"You," she said. The single word startled Reader and had him physically retreating. "Give me back my amulet. Now."

Athira walked towards him, every step slow, precise, and planned. One moment of control. That was all she needed to take Talon and leave. She'd find Reader later, even if she had to tear the Underground apart to find him.

"Well, since you've asked so nicely, Owl," began Reader.

He brandished the amulet in one hand with a long, drawn-out movement.

She reached for it.

"No," he finished, and snatched her amulet away.

Starpoint's Surge began.

The light from the cavern's runes increased tenfold, bathing everything in a brilliant blue. Athira clamped a hand over her mouth as nausea chased bile up her throat.

The monster inside her mindscape growled.

Embrace me.

The Keepers attacked. Reader retaliated. The Blue elemental intercepted a mind blast and ripped concrete from the floor with sharp gestures, launching boulder after boulder at Reader until the cavern trembled. There was a Blue flash and yelling, distorted by the whine of the pillars. Smoke erupted as Reader threw something and vanished, leaving the three Keepers alone.

Athira knew if she chased Reader, she'd kill him. She'd kill them all. Talon or no Talon, she needed to be as far away as possible when the Surge reached its peak in a minute or two, because Reader had never been the true threat to Sirah.

He might have been the trigger — but Athira was the bomb.

With her insides melting and her vision blurring, Athira made one final effort and escaped into the ceiling.

*+*+*+* 

Vote goal: 50 (it may seem high, but NaNo is the theme, so 50 is the dream ;D)

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerร  anche

Notice me Da Welcome

Storie d'amore

22.8K 551 39
As a small girl, she hoped for a prince to come and save her. But growing up she realized no one will save her and that she must save herself. Now; d...
4.6K 1.8K 51
Cover by: @Caitlyn-Blayne "After the great war, King Archeron, who was not yet a king, was the obvious choice to be the monarch of Avenlea. He poss...
2.5K 311 34
๐๐จ๐จ๐ค ๐จ๐ง๐ž ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐›๐ซ๐จ๐ค๐ž๐ง ๐ฌ๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐ž๐ฌ ๐›๐ฒ ๐‹๐ฎ๐ง๐š๐ฌ๐›๐จ๐จ๐ค๐ณ: A world where super natural kids are taken from their parents and pu...
332K 15.5K 158
(Twisted Wonderland X Fem!Reader) Continuing Enchanted, we follow the footsteps of Y/n Wonderlin. With Grim the cat monster, Hooty the Snowy Owl, and...