Turning to Stone (Heart of St...

By tessalovatt

[18+] Teddy and Sophia share a complicated past, so when Sophia is offered the opportunity of a lifetime to w... More

READER INFO
Chapter 1: Interrogation
Chapter 2: Confession
Chapter 3: Friendship
Chapter 4: Senses
Chapter 5: Impersonation
Chapter 6: Drunk
Chapter 7: Ego
Chapter 8: Anger
Chapter 9: Protection
Chapter 10: Flowers
Chapter 11: Robot
Chapter 12: Workaholic
Chapter 13: Cocktails
Chapter 14: Flirty
Chapter 15: Feelings
Chapter 16: History
Chapter 17: Blindsided
Chapter 18: Distance
Chapter 19: Recognition
Chapter 20: Confidence
Chapter 21: Emotion
Chapter 22: Afterparty
Chapter 23: Reality
Chapter 24: Compromise
Chapter 25: Dinner
Chapter 26: Rules
Chapter 27: Kneeling
Chapter 28: Intimacy
Chapter 29: Pain
Chapter 30: Chat
Chapter 31: Practice
Chapter 32: Messages
Chapter 33: Insecurities
Chapter 34: Party, Pt 1
Chapter 35: Party, Pt 2
Chapter 37: Party, Pt 4
Chapter 38: Bonding
Chapter 39: Loss
Chapter 40: Autograph
Chapter 41: Date
Epilogue: Paradise
BOOK 3

Chapter 36: Party, Pt 3

2.2K 180 148
By tessalovatt

Chapter 36: Party, Pt 3

Charlotte didn't return the phones and, unsurprisingly, nobody asked her to. They'd been treated to a side of Teddy Stone that was rarely made public; they didn't want to sacrifice that.

Ed's bravado faded as soon as he stepped away from the karaoke machine, just like I'd expected. Despite that, he seemed more relaxed. We danced to the cheesy tunes, my arms extended over his shoulders, fingers sifting lazily through his hair, while he skimmed his hands all over my back, waist, and hips like he couldn't decide where to settle. His lips dotted soft kisses along my neck and across my cheeks—everywhere but my mouth. Each time he reached my ear, gentle whispers gushed about how lucky he was, how beautiful I looked, how much he was enjoying himself.

In a bizarre turn of events that could only be explained by the lack of likeable people at this party, he also spent so much time with Mike that I began to suspect a genuine friendship blossoming.

Maybe it was the party atmosphere and they'd never talk again after tonight, but I knew how much Ed struggled with forming real connections. He didn't trust easily, nor did he let people in. Although he might not like thinking about my history with Mike, would he put that discomfort aside for the chance to make a new friend?

However it played out, I wanted no involvement. Ed could cosy up to my ex in his own time. I'd support from the sidelines and try not to think about the impact on Becca.

"That boy looks at you like you're everything to him."

I dragged my eyes away from Ed and Mike's laughing figures to focus on Gabby sat next to me.

"I think Char has helped him relax by taking the phones away," I said, dodging her comment.

"Yeah. She suggested it to me earlier but didn't want to make a big deal out of it. He seems like the type who'd hate us making concessions for him."

"Thanks for inviting him, though. I know it's kind of weird having someone famous at your birthday."

She waved off my concern with a flick of her dainty wrist. "He's fine. He's doing a great job of pretending to be normal."

I laughed. "He's trying his best."

"Besides, he's important to you. Right?"

Uneasiness clashed with panic deep in my stomach. Even my palms started to sweat. It was a simple question, one that was incredibly easy to answer. But thinking about feelings—or at least the strength of my feelings—while I watched Ed laugh with the last guy who'd broken my heart, filled me with a stifling dread.

I took a sip of water to quench my dry mouth.

"I wouldn't be with him if he weren't important to me. The only thing keeping me sane throughout the madness is how much I like him. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to put up with all the complications attached to dating someone as famous as him."

It sounded harsh when said aloud, but Gabby's eyes brimmed with sympathy as she nodded in understanding.

"You look good together. Happy. It's weird for all of us because we're so used to seeing him act a certain way on TV where he's centre stage and it's all about him, you know? He seems to want to blend into the background here. It's like he looks like Teddy Stone, but the intensity is dialled down a couple of notches."

I choked out a laugh. "Shit, don't tell him that. He thinks he's had the wool pulled over your eyes all evening."

When I glanced over my shoulder to look at him again, he caught me in the act and smiled. A silent blend of affection and warmth passed between us, enough to settle my fleeting panic from earlier.

"I think that's why Charlotte has been so on his case." Gabby swirled her straw through the neon pink liquid in her glass. "She's not exactly subtle."

"No, but he'll like that. You know where you stand with her. He probably finds it reassuring."

"Same with me, to be honest." Gabby laughed. "I always say her hair caught my attention but her personality kept it."

"She does have good hair."

The Vengaboys' bouncy vocals came to an abrupt halt when Mac shut off the music and clapped his hands to command everyone's attention.

"This is all a bit tame for my liking. Time to spice things up. Grab your drinks and form a circle."

Fuck. I wasn't sure Ed's comfort zone extended to drinking games. Especially not Mac's. I needed to give him an out.

"We're not drinking," I said, tipping my head towards Ed. "So we'll just spectate."

Mac pressed his lips together, clearly biting his tongue, but then he nodded. "Fair enough."

"I'm good to play," Ed said. "As long as you don't hold it against me that I'm on the soft drinks."

"Nope," Mac said. "It's the taking part that counts. Palmer?"

I glanced at Ed, who offered me a reassuring smile. Maybe he'd grown more comfortable in the hours we'd spent here, or maybe he still felt like he had something to prove. Either way, I wanted to stand by him.

"Okay. Sure," I said to Mac.

He clapped his hands again and rubbed them together. "Right. Everyone, gather round."

As we all moved towards the centre of the room, Ed threw an arm around my shoulder and lowered his mouth to my ear.

"Do we need to discuss boundaries?" His husky words triggered a tidal wave of goose bumps along my skin.

"I'm not sure you realise what you're letting yourself in for. They're going to take full advantage of you."

"And is that going to get me in trouble?" His words were quiet but serious. "With you?"

My stomach stirred at his suggestion that he'd play along with whatever was asked of him. I trusted him, but I also knew he wanted the chance to prove he could be fun.

"It's just a game." I tipped my head to press my lips to his cheek. "You've got my blessing."

"Sure...?"

"I'm sure. But just so you're aware, if you do decide to kiss anyone here when you've spent the whole evening refusing to kiss me, I may not be as generous as usual in bed later."

His deep chuckle vibrated against my throat. "You've already kissed three people here. Surely I've got catching up to do?"

"More than three, actually," I said, hoping it messed with his imagination a little.

Typical of him, though, he didn't even flinch. Instead, he raised an intrigued eyebrow and pinched my shoulder.

"Can't say I'm particularly surprised."

I feigned offense and shoved him away. Laughing, he withdrew his arm and stepped across the circle to sit down opposite me. I lowered myself to the floor next to Gabby.

"This is a game I like to call Truth and Dare," Mac said.

"Truth or Dare," Becca corrected.

He pointed a finger at her. "No. Truth and Dare. Let's face it, the dynamics in this group are a little weird and I'm a reasonable guy who doesn't want to make anyone uncomfortable, so I've adapted the game."

I felt a rush of respect and affection towards him, touched that he'd put his opinions to one side for my sake.

"Essentially, you get your dare and your question in one go. You can choose whether to answer the question truthfully or avoid answering in favour of the dare."

"Thrilling," Becca said, deadpan.

"Sounds like you're volunteering to go first, Becca." Mac slapped his thighs. "Who wants to think of a dare?"

"Text the last person you made out with," Charlotte said. "Before Mike, obviously, and tell them you haven't stopped thinking about them."

Becca sighed, extending both arms behind her to lean back on her hands. "What if I don't have their number?"

Maybe I imagined it, but her eyes settled on Ed for a few seconds before shifting back over to Charlotte.

"Then DM them."

"Right," Becca said. "So what's my truth?"

A curtain of blonde hair cascaded over Charlotte's shoulder as she cocked her head to the side in contemplation.

"What's your biggest regret?" she eventually asked.

Becca pressed her lips together. "Where does drinking come into this game? Do I drink if I don't want to answer?"

Mac grinned. "Thought you said my version was lame, and yet suddenly you're not ballsy enough to play either option?"

"You said it was a drinking game. I don't see any drinking involved."

"So that's your choice, is it?" Mac asked. "You'd rather drink?"

"Yep."

"So be it." He placed his glass in the centre of the circle, a third of his beer left. "Everyone, tip in your drinks until we reach the top. Then Becca downs it."

Her eyes widened. "Are you serious? That's a pint glass. I'll die."

"Don't be dramatic. You've got three choices, for fuck's sake. Pick one of them."

I had a sickening suspicion that Ed would be the subject of both the dare and the truth. She'd never admit that in front of everyone, and while I would have just made some shit up to cheat the rules, that didn't seem to occur to Becca.

Instead, she picked up the full glass, which had turned a murky shade of purple, and in an impressive display of sportsmanship, she gulped back the whole lot without pausing for breath. Mac applauded, patted her shoulder, and got a deadly glare in response.

When my turn came around, Mac's eyes glinted wickedly, and my stomach twisted with nerves. Hopefully my poker face was improving.

"Alright, Palmer. I'll go easy on you."

"Don't patronise me."

He gestured between Ed and me. "How strong is this relationship?"

"Is that my Truth question, or—?"

"No. I just want to know if I risk breaking up a happy partnership."

"We're good," Ed replied. "Do your worst."

I flashed him the finger, and he winked in response. Setting my attention back on Mac, I jutted my chin to encourage him to continue.

"Your dare..." He played the part of thinking hard, but I could tell he'd already decided. "Post a risqué photo on Instagram. Keep it up for ten minutes, then delete."

Fuck that. My Instagram remained on private for now, but it would still be far too easy for a scandalous photo of Teddy Stone's girlfriend to go viral. I couldn't deal with the inevitable backlash, the criticism of my body, or my poor mother's horror.

"And your truth... Have you ever made out with any celebrities other than the one you're currently dating?"

I narrowed my eyes. "That's awfully specific."

"And that isn't an answer."

Sighing, I surveyed the group with as much subtlety as possible. Everyone seemed to be waiting with bated breath, hanging on for my answer, like they expected me to confirm it. Telling the truth would inevitably incite follow-up questions.

So I lied.

"Nope. Never."

Gabby ducked her head, and Charlotte huffed out a very convincing moan of disappointment. Three people in this circle knew the truth, but only one of them called me out on it.

"Liar."

All heads turned to Ed, who sat there smugly with his lips curved upwards.

Dick.

Mac swung his eyes around to me. "You better not be lying, Palmer. There are serious forfeits for cheating."

Ed shrugged at me in a silent dare of his own. I debated calling his bluff. The world knew he shared a close friendship with Aaron, so would he really want everyone here to find out I'd kissed him? Or was he enjoying watching me squirm after how much that kiss had pissed him off?

"Fine. I have. Happy now?"

"No," Holly said, her face blooming with intrigue. "Not until you tell us who it was!"

"Follow-up questions are not part of the game," I said.

"We can make an exception," Mac said.

I scoffed. "Fuck that. If you wanted more details, you should have phrased your question better."

"Just one question?" Holly pouted, her hands clasped together in a plea. "And I'll keep it vague?"

So far tonight she'd kept her distance from Ed. If Helen hadn't warned me she was a serial celebrity chaser, I never would have guessed it, but seeing her obvious interest now reminded me.

"One vague question," I said.

"How famous is he? On a scale of... Teddy Stone to total unknown?"

I shifted my eyes back over to my boyfriend. He still looked pleased with himself, and we couldn't have that.

"More famous than Teddy Stone," I said, satisfaction rippling through me when he raised an unimpressed brow. "And much better looking, too."

Judging by his darkened pupils, I'd pay for that comment later. For now, though, I enjoyed the revenge.

"Your turn, Teddy," Holly said, apparently satisfied by my answer. "I'll be kind."

"I appreciate the offer, but I'm not a coward like my girlfriend."

It was a brave statement from someone who had so many legal restrictions on what they could and couldn't say, but maybe he planned on lying, too. And the bastard knew I wouldn't be able to call him out if they touched on anything protected by NDAs.

"Your dare would be to kiss someone in this circle who isn't Sophia," Holly said. Shocker. "And your truth... Who's the last celebrity who slid into your DMs?"

Ed drummed his fingers against his knees, a relaxed smile on his face. Earlier this week he'd gushed for hours about some NBA basketballer who'd reached out, so it was an easy question, but the longer he sat there not answering, the more the tension grew.

Slowly, his devious eyes came to rest on me, then slid across to Gabby to my right. The corner of his mouth lifted.

"Pucker up, birthday girl."

Poor Gabby looked shell-shocked as Ed started to crawl across the circle towards her. I didn't know what game he was playing, if this formed part of some scheme to make everyone here believe he wasn't such a model citizen, but his showmanship had me rolling my eyes.

"Don't worry," he whispered to her once they were inches apart. "I wouldn't embarrass you."

And then just as his lips brushed hers, he swerved and grabbed the back of my head, crushing his mouth to mine.

Every muscle in my body stiffened in shock. He was brutal and merciless as he held my hair taut and ravaged me with each hungry pull of my lips and push of his tongue. Despite my efforts, I couldn't keep up with him, couldn't do anything but sit there and take it, and yet the intense domination sent my pulse racing between my legs.

Somewhere, in the haze of my mind, I acknowledged we had an audience. But it wasn't until he finally released me, and his glinting eyes touched mine, that I grasped the true motivation behind the racy kiss: payback for my comment about Aaron. He'd given me the kiss I'd begged for all evening, and he'd made sure it was as indecent as possible so I'd regret asking in the first place.

It hadn't embarrassed me, so he'd failed in that respect. But while I didn't care about our audience, I was now horrendously horny, and that was fucking annoying, so maybe he had managed to win this one.

Sitting back on his heels, he turned to Holly. "JK Evans. The basketballer. He told me he liked my latest album."

An indignant rush of air spilled past my bruised lips. That was his game plan. He hadn't cheated the dare: he'd had no intention of doing it.

"Ten out of ten for showboating," Mac said dryly. "And for ignoring the rules."

Ed shuffled back into his spot and shot Mac an innocent smile. "Thought you wanted to spice things up?"

*

After that almost-pornographic kiss, my body thrummed with frustration that begged for a release. I'd replayed it so many times in my head that concentrating on anything other than Ed became impossible. It wasn't just that he'd turned me on; he'd also pushed himself out of his comfort zone to entertain my friends, which was endearing as hell.

When he disappeared down the hallway to the toilet, I held back for as many seconds as my self-control permitted before following. Gabby's room was opposite the bathroom, so I wandered in there, leaving the door ajar a couple of inches so I could listen out for him to emerge without being spotted.

Photos stuck to her wall stirred a surge of memories. I plucked off one from our first year at uni. Most of the people downstairs also featured in this picture—our arms wrapped around each other as we huddled together for the club photographer. My eyes were shut in a drunken haze as I leaned into Mac, grinning against his cheek. Back then, we'd all assumed we'd be friends for life. The optimistic naivety of uni students.

As the bathroom lock clicked, I fixed the photo back onto the wall and darted towards the door again. Then I heard Holly's voice, and I lurched to a halt.

"Having a good time?" she asked.

"Yeah, a great time, thanks," Ed replied.

"Gabby always throws a good party."

Gritting my teeth together, I curled my fingers around the handle, ready to yank open the door and grab Ed as soon as she pissed off.

"So, are you and Sophia serious, then? Because—"

"Yeah, we're serious."

"Really? I couldn't work it out. You've obviously got good banter, but it sort of made me wonder if you're more like friends. It's similar to how she is with Mac, and she did used to fool around with him a bit, too. Fuck buddies, if you will. Never romantic. As far as I'm aware, anyway."

My knuckles whitened as the cool metal bar dug into my palm. Was she for fucking real? Clearly she'd just been biding her time tonight. Instinct urged me to storm out there and tell her where she could shove her shit-stirring lies, but Helen had warned me not to cause a scene and I needed to prove I could be trusted to follow advice.

"She's got a good sense of humour. She banters with a lot of people. We're serious, though. It's not a casual thing."

"So... She wouldn't appreciate me offering to suck your dick?"

And just like that, an icy wave washed all the desire from my body and replaced it with nausea. A thick lump lodged in my throat, tightened my windpipe until I could barely breathe.

Reading explicit propositions via faceless DMs was one thing; half those messages were just attempts to get his attention, and the other half would never have the opportunity to do it anyway. But hearing it said aloud, from a real person face-to-face, added weight and legitimacy to the offer, and it hit ten times as hard.

"No, she wouldn't appreciate that," Ed replied with a small laugh, his tone warm despite the cold nature of the offer.

"Right. Because I am. Offering, that is."

"Thanks, but I'm going to politely decline."

My free hand, the one not glued to the door handle, clenched into a fist. He was being polite, giving her the public-facing side of him, and it should have reassured me that he'd put up a barrier and relegated her to an ordinary fan. But I really wished he could have told her where to shove that insensitive offer.

"You sure? I don't have a gag reflex..." Her voice dropped lower, the suggestive tone floating through the air and suffocating me until my eyes watered with the pain of holding back.

"I'm very sure."

"Take a hint, Holly. He's not interested."

Mac's words, travelling from the other end of the hallway, cut through the tense atmosphere. Oxygen rushed into my lungs. I dropped my grip from the handle and scraped my hand through my hair, pushing the strands away from my face as I tipped my head back and sucked in a deep breath.

"Sorry if I seemed pushy," Holly said. "That wasn't my intention."

"No worries," Ed replied.

Holly's footsteps padded past the bedroom and carried on along the hallway towards the living room. I stayed hidden behind the door, waiting for the boys to follow while I recomposed.

A few seconds of silence passed where nobody else seemed to move, and then I heard Mac's soft Scottish lilt.

"Nice to see you're turning the blow job offers down these days."

***

Thank you for reading :) xx

***

Firstly, thank you so, so much for the comments on the last chapter -- I think that was one of the best receptions I've ever had on a new chapter! I enjoyed writing these party scenes (that's why I didn't have the heart to cut them down) so I'm really pleased you're all enjoying them too. I'll probably release a longer version of the Truth & Dare game as a bonus chapter at some point.

As you'll guess from the ending to this one, Mac confronts Ed in the final party chapter. How do you think that conversation will go?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 774 23
•DAILY UPDATES• What are the odds that you are dared to send a random text to a stranger? And what are the odds that the stranger happens to be someo...
482K 13.4K 26
Growing up in foster care her entire life, Olivia had no family or friends. She was abandoned by the dumpster when she was only an infant. Homeless...
15.4K 1.1K 18
[18+] Paradise. The location. The work. The guy. Sophia Palmer has never been happier. After the craziest ten months of her life, she's enjoying the...
972K 24.3K 32
The only thing they have in common is their jobs.His name is Ace. He gets what he wants when he wants especially if its a specific some one he wants...