Not That Interested

By ShutUpAndCoffee

My name is Mina Amin. Pakistani. Aged 23. Artist. Foodie. Cat freak. About to marry my best friend. Yep, the... More

Let Love Kill You.
Prologue:
Chapter 1:The one with the Wannabe Grandparents
Chapter 2: The one with the stapler eater.
Chapter 3: The One with the Free lunch
Chapter 4: The One with the Vampire
Chapter 5: The one where I can't speak
Chapter 6: The one with The crazy chicken.
Chapter 7: The one with all the flashbacks
Chapter 8: The One with all the Puppy Love.
Chapter 9: The One With Mama Bear
Chapter 10: The One With the Princess
Chapter 11: The One with The Swear Jar
Chapter 12: The One With The Samosas
Chapter 13: The One inside Shehzer's head
Chapter 14: The One with the Moonwalk
Chapter 15: The One With The Dragon Lady
Chapter 16: The One Where I lie.
Chapter 17: The One with the Cheesecake
Chapter 18: The One With Chris Hemsworth.
Chapter 19: The One With The Weirdest Proposal.
Chapter 20: The One With The Guitar
Chapter 21: The One With The Pearl
Chapter 22: The One Without A Car
Chapter 23: The One With The Ring
Chapter 24: The One With The Gift
Chapter 25: The One With A Double Wedding
Chapter 26: The One With The Red Lips
Chapter 28: The One With The Missing Fiance
Chapter 29: The One without Denial
Chapter 30: The One With the Roof Painting
Chapter 31: The One With All the Goodbyes
Chapter 32: The One with Simba's Love Child
Chapter 33: The One With Annoying Females
Chapter 34: The One With The Raincheck
Chapter 35: The One With The Sword-Cake
Chapter 36: The One With The Flight Delay
Chapter 37: The One With The Tattoos
Chapter 38: The One At The Beach
Chapter 39: The One With Batman
Chapter 40: The One With Afridi And The Ring
Chapter 41: The One With The Unicorn
Chapter 42: The One With The Moon
Chapter 43: The One With The Parachute
Chapter 44: The One With The Big Reveal.
Chapter 45: The One With The Magic Markers
Chapter 46: The One With Old Timey Wedding
Chapter 47 The One With All The Pins
Chapter 48: The One With The New Faces
Chapter 49: The One With The Saree
Chapter 50: The One Where EMV Breaks Free
Chapter 51: The One With The Kiss
Chapter 52: The One With The Parasite
Chapter 53: The One With Oedipus
Chapter 54: The One With Cinnamon
Chapter 55: The One With The Happy Ending
Epilogue
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS & BONUS FEATURE
Got Questions?
Q&A Book
WATT JUST HAPPENED?

Chapter 27: The One With The Phone Call

15.1K 1.1K 274
By ShutUpAndCoffee

"I can resist everything, except temptation."- Oscar Wilde

Shehzer's POV:

I miss Karachi.

I'm telling myself it's because I haven't seen Rania in more than a month. Which is perfectly true. But deep, deep inside, it's because of her. It feels weird to be in the same country, but not be around her. I miss her eyes, and her voice, and her laugh.

Missing someone's laugh is beyond pathetic, but Mina's laugh is one of a kind. She has laughter fits where she is just howling silently, tears running down her face, head thrown back.

Mom and Rania are leaving for Maryland in a few of days, and I'm thinking of visiting Karachi for the weekend. Lahore has been pretty cool so far, the weather is horrendously hot, but I loved meeting cousins after ages. The architecture, and food of the city keeps me pretty busy in touristy activities. In a way it's a good thing; it keeps me from missing people too much.

Mom told me yesterday that Ali got engaged to Mina's friend Adiba. I shooted a congratulatory text to him. He told me about the impending double wedding. In fact he pestered me about the wedding. Apparently, I now have an invitation to Mina's wedding too.

When I saw the e-card Ali sent me, of the wedding+Valima reception; I felt like breaking my phone. It took an hour of intense work-out in the hostel gym to get my emotions back to normal. There's no way I'm traveling to Karachi again just for the opportunity to see the girl of my dreams marry another guy.

I'd rather gouge my nails out with a dull knife.

Seeing them together on her engagement reception was an ache I still feel. It was torture to see them laughing and talking, both made a handsome couple. For Mina's sake, I hope they have a happy life together.

.............

Mina's POV:

Less than a month before the wedding remains. I am both excited and terrified at the same time. Areeb has been traveling a lot for his job, so I haven't seen or heard from him recently. Maybe he is just making up excuses for his extreme sports addiction.

He texted last week to let me know that he is sky-diving in Spain somewhere. For the life of me, I don't know what pleasure anyone can derive from throwing themselves in mid air, thousands of feet above ground!

He hasn't spoken to me about his "Dilemma" again. But he feels changed. I don't know why it makes me so uneasy. His recklessness has increased, and I think it has to do with his misguided religious thoughts.

I really want him to tell me about his problems. We will be sharing more than a house soon. We'll be sharing our lives together; and I need to know we can unburden ourselves with our problems. But I am almost scared to push him on this subject. What if he leaves me? What if he thinks I'm too meddling, and curious, and he wants nothing to do with me?

Wedding preparations are in full swing. Mom and I have been shopping like crazy! we had to buy, what seems like a gazillion clothes for me and Adiba. In our culture, the new bride is supposed to take with her an entirely new wardrobe after marriage.

We have to have Areeb's Wedding and Valima attire ordered as well. Just like in the engagement; the bride and groom's family will exchange clothes, gifts, jewelry etc. a few days before the wedding.

Areeb's mom took me shopping one day, and asked for color, design advice regarding the Nikah dress. I was so flustered and awkward that I ended up choosing a salmon colored, red accented Gharara for the nikah.

I hate salmon.

I am obviously crazy.

Hey, it's not fair to me to be put in a hot seat of important decisions! Especially with Areeb's mom staring adoringly at me the whole time. Ugh. Awkward!

We're also having almost daily Dholki sessions at our place.

This usually includes a bunch of my cousins,and girlfriends practicing for the Grand Dholki event we have scheduled before the wedding day.

I steadfastly refused to have a Mehndi/Mayoon tradition, because It's really not culturally authentic for us, and also because I hate the smell of Henna that is generally pretty much wiped all over the bride during the silly tradition.

So the grand dholki will have a whole lot of dancing, and singing to traditional wedding songs. We have also scheduled a Music War against Adiba and Areeb's cousins. It's fun listening to my girls planning strategies, and lyrics to win this thing. The more noise they manage to make, equates to victory; so they are practicing at the top of their lungs. I usually sit in the center and play the traditional drum Dhol because I love banging on it. Nobody can dare question the craziness of a Dulhan playing drums for her own dholki.

Kulsoom Nani has descended upon us too. Again. She usually presides over the song and dance practices, barking out criticisms, and correcting lyrics.

"You GIRL, you're not clapping in tempo!"

"Tania, stop fiddling with your hair during that last dance step! Nobody will be looking at you!"

"It is KOLAPOORI Dee....Not KOLAVERI Dee!"

The girls have given up trying to argue over lyrics anymore.

My house is swarming with guests from out of town. A few of them checked into guest-houses, while the majority of them wanted to be part of the wedding festivities from ground zero: AKA my house.

I can't go two feet without bumping into someone who wants tea, or towels, or shampoo, or my first born child probably. AT this point, EMV was willing to hand over a future baby, just to get out of making Chai (Tea).

Marium Auntie had been reluctant, but Rania pleaded and cried to let herself be a part of our dholkis. Most days, she manages to come over, and then watches the loud, raucous singing and dancing with wide-eyed fascination. My cousins have been wonderful with her. They don't let her feel left out at all, and always manage to involve her in the fun.

She misses Shehzer a lot. Everytime his name comes up, something inside me shrinks, and squeezes my heart. I miss him too. It seems like forever since he walked away.

Tonight, Rania is having too much fun to think about leaving. One of my teen-aged cousins from out of town, Saad, has informed us twice that Rania's Mom is calling her. During his third trip, he is annoyed. Apparently, Rania is being summoned urgently.

I manage to persuade my little kitten to go home. When I go to see her to the door, I'm shocked to see Shehzer standing at the doorway.

I stammer a salam, and he softly replies.

Awkward silence ensues.

"Uh...How was Lahore?" I say casually.

"Hot." He says briefly.

"Um...Shehzer, I just wanted to say Thank you, for the amazing gift. I love it. It's the first thing I see when I wake up."

His face twists into a reluctant smile. My breath hitches at the beauty of it. This man can kill with that smile.

"Glad you liked it...How's your fiance?"

This abrupt change of subject made my heart sink. It was like he was trying to remind me of my treachery. Or maybe he was reminding himself.

"He- uh...He is good. Traveling. Uh..I mean he's traveling at the moment....Spain I think. Or maybe it was Greece..." I blush at my awkwardness. I actually don't know where Areeb is right now.

EMV sneers; '...Aaaand the winner of this year's Fiancee of the year award is....'

Before I could make further cake out of myself; my phone rings.

Areeb's name is flashing on the screen. It might as well be a a neon sign, in the dim entrance area.

Shehzer takes hold of Rania's hand, and smiles humorlessly;

"Looks like he's home now. Have fun." He says dryly before leaving.

The goodbye stuck in my throat never made it out.

I slide the receive button to attend the call.

"Minnie..." His voice sounds desperate, rough, and ragged with pain.

My heart jumps into my throat.

"Areeb?? Wha..? what's wrong?"

"Minnie...I...I..Hate myself..." He is sobbing. "You're going to hate me too..."

"What are you talking about? You're scaring me!!"

"Minnie...I fucked up...I did. I hate myself for it....But I fucked up!" He is hoarse with anguish.

"Areeb! WHAT HAPPENED?" I nearly scream with frustration. i'm shaking so badly, I don't think I even have it in me to hear what he is about to say.

Then I hear the dial-tone.

He hung up on me.

A/N:

Thank You for the votes and the support, and the constant onslaught of hilarious comments! :D

Sometimes, I am motivated to do crazy stuff to my characters, just to see your reactions. LOL.

As usual, Do lemme know what you guys make of the developments!

XO

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

783K 61.5K 65
After his mother's death, Sufyaan was terrified to add any other women in his life. However, when a special girl comes along, his emotions change an...
280K 20.8K 64
COMPLETED ✔️✔️ Excerpt. *** "I won't bite. . .yet. . .I promise" He said with a teasing smirk. Walking in the rain didn't sound like a bad idea. Na...
961K 72.9K 69
After losing the most important person in her life, Kehara is now moving to a different country to live with her father and Brother to start a new li...
20.3K 1.8K 42
Her life has never been more busy. On the verge of a global business expansion and raising eight royal kids, Futhi is hit with the surprise of a life...