Judgment Day

Від CourtesyTrefflin

When Luke Skywalker is sent to the past, he ends up in the middle of the last skirmish before the Battle of C... Більше

Chapter 1 - The Past
Chapter 2 - The Meeting
Chapter 3 - The Invisible Hand
Chapter 4 - Landing On Coruscant
Chapter 5 - Bonding
Chapter 7 - The Council
Chapter 8 - Bonding
Chapter 9 - Countdown
Chapter 10 - Duel of Fates
Chapter 11 - To The Rescue
Chapter 12 - Confrontation
Chapter 13 - Recovery
Chapter 14 - Ways of the Sith
Chapter 15 - The Bad Batch
Chapter 16 - The Death Star
Chapter 17 - To Face A Sith
Chapter 18 - Aftermath
Chapter 19 - In The End
Epilogue

Chapter 6 - To Meet a Sith Lord

635 17 59
Від CourtesyTrefflin

Luke is trying to remind himself that Yoda must have meant something good when told Anakin that, or maybe Anakin hadn't told him everything that happened, because he cannot believe the Jedi Master would have such advice. Rejoice over her death?! Is he serious?! There must be something cryptic they both missed entirely because Luke cannot believe the Jedi Master changed so much on Dagobah.

He knew being a Jedi would not be a simple task, but this is something completely different from what he expected. He thought they were compassionate. He knew they were warriors – which they are, but that's not what he's seeing. He understands the dedication, and he's willing to give himself to that, but he does not see the same in his father.

His visions of Han and Leia were entirely different. He hadn't seen them die. He had seen them in pain, seen that they needed help. It had been of an external force, and had he not gone to save them, he would likely never have able to find his father – even if he did lose his hand. It was a small price to pay, all things considered... well. Not small, but he thinks it was worth it. Palpatine is dead anyway. Looking back, he can easily understand that he should have trusted in his friends' ability to care for themselves, even if it was meant to happen.

It's different for Padme. This isn't an external cause. It's not something that can be stopped or protected, not truly. It's a vision of the future that will happen unless Anakin is able to stop it. With a jolt, Luke finds himself wondering if that's how his father Fell before, but he brushes that off.

He knows he's not thinking clearly either, but he doesn't know what to do. Master Yoda is the only person he may be willing to trust enough to for help, other than Rex, but now this has proven that he can't. He can't trust any of the Jedi like he hoped to. He can understand the warning that fear leads to the Dark Side – it does, really, but how in the galaxy can someone be expected to rejoice in a friend's passing? Not only a wife and possibly a child. Even a friend. It's just...

He doesn't understand it, and it angers him more than anything else. He loathes how no reminders of how he's not here to judge the Jedi for their failure doesn't help him this time. If he had listened to Yoda, if he had tried to kill Vader, the Emperor would have won. The Jedi aren't always right, clearly, which means he needs to find his own path.

What he doesn't know is how to go about that. It's too bad he can't talk to Ahsoka.

Luke is still turning the situation over in his mind when they talk to Obi-Wan. "The Senate is expected to vote more executive powers to the Chancellor today," Obi-Wan states.

"That can only mean less deliberating and more action. Is that bad?" It's yet another reminder of how Anakin seems to be friends with Palpatine, which makes no sense. "It'll make it easier for us to end this war."

"Be careful of your friend Palpatine."

"Be careful of what?"

Luke winces. He really has no idea? Not even after what Luke had told him about the Empire? Even if Obi-Wan hasn't figured it out, he's being rightfully cautious. Luke can understand that, not wanting to believe someone is evil – he was the same with Vader – but this is different. There is no saving the Emperor. He's too far gone.

"He has requested your presence." Luke does his best not to react. It's not easy. Palpatine had killed Anakin, and Luke doesn't want his father anywhere near him. Not again.

"What for?"

"He would not say."

"He didn't inform the Council? That's unusual, isn't it?"

"All of this is unusual. And it's making me feel uneasy." Obi-Wan glances between the Skywalkers, frowning. "He also wishes to have a word with Luke."

Oh. Oh, no. Why would he want that unless he suspected something? No. He could be curious, nothing more – why is he lying to himself? Palpatine knows Luke time traveled; he'd want whatever information he can get his hands on. The last time Luke had encountered the Emperor with no one but his father, it hadn't worked out so well.

"We shouldn't keep him waiting," Anakin replies. "We'll leave now."

"Yes," Obi-Wan agrees before he leaves.

"Are you alright?" Anakin asks, turning to Luke with a concerned frown.

"I can explain later," he replies. He can't assure him it's fine – that would be a lie. Telling him they can talk about it later is probably the safest option, and the truest one, seeing as Luke will eventually have to tell him everything. That might not be until the end of his time, but he's counting on it happening. He's not looking forwards to it.

"Alright," Anakin agrees quietly. The ride to the Senate is quiet, and Luke tries to calm himself. He's not ready to see the Sith again, but he never will be. It's not as though Palpatine can do anything to hurt them without it looking incriminating. He shouldn't have much to worry about.

Luke does his best to remain calm, remembering Master Yoda's teachings. If he lets the Sith know something is wrong, he'll put the pieces together – but seeing as he already knows Luke time traveled, he probably knows that Luke knows who he is. He truly wishes Anakin hadn't told him that. He should have tried keeping it a secret, but he doubts anyone would have trusted him in that case.

The Chancellor is pretending to be all cheerful when they arrive, and he immediately pulls Anakin aside to speak with him alone in his office. It makes Luke even more uncomfortable. Why are they so close?! He needs to ask his father that question. What could the Chancellor possibly want to speak with his father about anyway, seeing as he hadn't so much as told the Council about it? It's obvious something else is going on.

His mind wanders to Leia, remembering how she used to work in this building back when the Senate still existed. It'd been gone since he joined the Rebellion, so he doesn't know what it was like back when it was still in place. Leia always said they couldn't do much there, anyway, but he wonders what it was like when she was here. To him, this place is foreign, but to Leia, it... well. Luke is glad she's not here with him, even if he would appreciate not being alone. It would bring back too many bad memories. Part of him wishes he could meet her adopted parents. He knows them secondhand, and sometimes it feels like he actually knows them, but he doesn't.

The office door slides open, and Anakin steps out. "Luke?" he calls. "I know this is... probably uncomfortable for you, but the Chancellor wants to speak with you. I'll need to leave for the Temple soon, so I won't be there, but... he's a good person."

It hurts to hear him talking about the Sith like this. Anakin trusts him, and Luke has no idea why. "How are you so close to him?" he asks, confused, trying to keep his emotions in check.

"He's looked out for me since I came to the Temple. I... didn't fit in because I was so different, and he was the only one there for me until I met Padme again."

Already, his mind is turning, trying to connect a way of telling Anakin that it's not normal for politicians to do something like this unless it's for their own gain, but he really doesn't think Anakin would take well to that. They're obviously close, and he's more likely to get upset then listen. He really, really doesn't want to get into an argument with his father, especially not right now.

It doesn't seem like he can get out of this, either. He can't think of an excuse, and he doesn't think Palpatine would accept one anyway. It would only make him more suspicious. No. A Jedi is not afraid. He cannot let himself be ruled by his fear. He knew he would have to confront the Emperor when he came back here, and waiting will change nothing.

"Alright," Luke concedes. He enters the office, offering a silent plea into the Force that this won't seal his doom. He doesn't know what to expect. The situation is... extremely difficult.

"I congratulate you on your heroics yesterday," the Chancellor states as they reenter the office together. Out the window, Luke can see the damage from the battle. There's still smoke lingering in a few areas, too. It gives him something else to focus on, at least.

"We only want to do our duty," Anakin replies.

"Of course," Palpatine agrees, "But no other Jedi could have succeeded where you did. No one else could have landed that ship with minimal casualties."

Luke forces himself to nod.

"And I see you have your father's expertise in flying," he comments, looking to Luke, who tries not to stiffen. He does not want the future Emperor's attention focused on him.

"I always wanted to be a pilot," Luke offers. Had it been anyone else, he wouldn't have had a problem making small talk, but he needs to watch everything he says here with great care.

Palpatine nods. "You two seem... quite similar. I'm afraid I don't understand how this 'time traveling' works, but I imagine it has some connection with the Force."

He's definitely fishing for information now. "Yes, it does," Luke agrees hastily, just in case Anakin is about to say that he was the one who sent him back, "It's... a long story."

"I would be curious to hear more about if you have the time, of course. What is the future like?" he inquires, interestedly. Luke could almost believe he was genuine if he didn't know better. He's not up for these... mind games. It's only been days since his father died, and he's still exhausted.

"The future he lived is... dark. The Sith won and formed the Republic and Separatists into an Empire," Anakin replies, before Luke can stop him.

To his credit, Palpatine actually looks horrified. "How could this happen?" he asks, alarmed, "I do not believe the Jedi would ever allow it."

"They were destroyed," Anakin continues. Luke really, really wishes he had requested his father not mention this to anyone. He needs to think of something, anything, to make him be quiet.

Palpatine looks even more alarmed. "How could be destroyed? I thought they were much too powerful for that."

"I don't know the details," Luke interjects, "I can't answer that."

"I see," he murmurs, "This is... disturbing. Have you spoken to anyone about it?"

"Briefly," Luke replies evasively.

"The Council will do whatever it can to prevent this from happening," promises Anakin.

"Of course," he agrees with a nod, "But I believe you have important matters to attend to, now, Anakin."

Anakin nods, hastily excusing himself and slipping out of the room, leaving Luke alone with Palpatine. And, he realizes with a jolt, it's the first he's ever been alone with him. Even in his time, at least Vader was there. Now he's all alone with him, and... There's nothing Palpatine could do to him anyway, though, is there? Not without being caught.

The Chancellor is eyeing him now, and nothing about the move looks threatening or suspicious, but he knows better. "Tell me," he says conversationally, and he sounds so friendly that if Luke didn't know better firsthand, he would have thought he was being sincere. "Is this time like what you imagined?"

He's not sure what Palpatine is getting at. He needs to move carefully, but he suspects anything he says will be used against him. "I knew very little about this time." It's the truth, after all. "I didn't know what to expect."

"Is the Republic as you imagined? Are the Jedi?"

Yes and no. He's not sure. The Jedi aren't, but the Republic... he doesn't know. "Possibly. I haven't seen either for long."

"Hm." He might be thoughtful, or maybe he's just feigning all of it. "Your father speaks very highly of you. I can see you are quite close. It is unfortunate that the Jedi will not approve of such a relationship."

Is he trying to turn Luke against the Jedi? "With good reason," Luke replies. "It can interfere with our duties."

"Yes, it can," he agrees, "But it also does so much good. I fear how the Council will react. They have always had a strained relationship with your father."

This is outright manipulation, and Luke knows it when he sees it. He's not going to fall for it. "They will only do as they see best," he replies, ignoring the way part of his mind whispers otherwise. Palpatine has known Anakin far longer than Luke – but no. He's lying.

"Yes, of course," he agrees, "But they are mortal. They make mistakes. Have you heard of Ahsoka Tano?"

"I met her, actually." What is he getting at? Luke finds himself overcome by the sudden urge to do something violent, maybe stab the Sith in the back or something – it would be nice, but he doubts it'd be enough to kill him. Maybe he should cut off his head and kick it out the window.

"Really?" He seems surprised, but it's hard to tell whether that's genuine.

"Briefly," Luke replies, deciding to say no farther.

"Then you must know what happened to her?"

"I will admit there is no excuse in what they did," he replies, perhaps a little too sharply. He tries to remind himself not to let his anger get to him – it's what Yoda and Obi-Wan warned him against time and time again, and yet he can't help it. He remembers what happened the last time he saw the Emperor, and he can't let it go. Not yet. It's too soon. "But I fail to see how this has any relation to me, or to my father."

"I am concerned for him," Palpatine responds, and somehow, he actually sounds genuine, "The Council is... often unfair to him. They do not treat him the same as all other Jedi, and it puts him under a lot of stress. They do not... like his presence among the Jedi."

"Why wouldn't they like him?" Luke asks tightly. At least it'd be better if he's not the one being asked questions – maybe he can figure something out this way, though there's no guarantee everything the Sith says won't be an outright lie.

"I have asked myself this question many times," the Chancellor replies, pretending to be upset. Maybe beheading him would be better than stabbing him. That evil – no. Luke is a Jedi. He should not get lost to his anger. "Perhaps it is related to his desire to use more... unorthodox methods with more successful results."

"Why would they dislike that?" Disobeying orders can be... dangerous, but creativity has always been very much encouraged in the Rebellion.

"The Jedi are very strict. They do not like deviations from rules, which is understandable, but it is always especially true when it comes to Anakin. They hold him to much higher standards that none of them can even achieve."

He wants to believe that Palpatine is lying. He's trying to turn him against the Jedi, and he won't let that happen. But he can't deny that... they aren't what he thought they were. "Why would they do that?" he frowns.

"He came to the Temple late, and it made him different, only the Jedi fail to see that his differences make him a better person. I only wanted you to know because I hope you will be able to help him. You are his son."

If Luke didn't know who Palpatine truly was, he has to admit, he'd believe he was genuine here. He loathes that more than anything. "Thank you for letting me know," Luke replies, slightly proud of how he successfully keeps his voice perfectly even. "I think I have taken up enough of your time."

"It's no problem. Anakin is a good friend. I just want him to be alright," Palpatine assures, but Luke excuses himself at that, hurrying out of the room. He doesn't dare breathe a sigh of relief until he's out.

He's still alive. He... didn't think he would die, but he didn't exactly not, either. There's no way Palpatine doesn't suspect that he knows his identity, though, so he'll have to be careful. What worries him the most is how the Chancellor didn't do anything to imply it. He's an insanely good actor, and it's infuriating, because Luke is certain Anakin would never believe him if he tried to tell him the truth. It's best not to risk it – not yet.

He wants to go find his father again but taking a bit to calm down from meeting a Sith is probably a good idea. Besides, Anakin had a Council meeting to attend, and if those are anything like the Alliance Council meeting, it's probably going to last several hours. And he'll try not to think about the screwed-up-ness that is his father's relationship with Palpatine.

***

"Luke!" Padme greets him warmly, the moment he steps into her office, "I wasn't expecting to see you here."

"I was here with Father," he replies, crossing the room as she stands. "If you have something more important to be doing –"

"No, it's fine," she hastily assures, "It's good to see you again."

And suddenly, he realizes he doesn't even know what to say. He never thought much about his mother, and he hardly knows her as a person. In some ways she reminds him a little of Aunt Beru but comes across as far more focused on her work from what he's seen. It reminds him of Leia, and he abruptly finds himself wishing she could have been here with him.

"My sister looks just like you," he blurts out, finally.

"How old was she?" Padme asks, curiously, "What was she like? Anakin mentioned that you didn't grow up together?"

"We were twins," Luke answers, "We were separated at birth, to keep us safe from the Sith."

Padme's smile dims at that. "Is it... really that dangerous?" she asks in concern, hand almost absently moving to touch her stomach. (Where Luke can feel two presences, one of whom is him. It's beyond weird to be able to sense himself.)

That is something he very much does not want to think about, but he has to face the reality. "Until the Sith is destroyed, yes, I think they –" Should he say we?! It's not as if he's about to be born, but him and Leia are. Ugh. This is confusing. "– will be. They're strong in the Force."

Padme nods, pensively. "I hope the Jedi will be able to resolve this soon."

"I hope so too," Luke replies, then tries to steer the conversation is a lighter direction, "Leia was... much like both you and Anakin, I suppose. She cared deeply, even if she often hid it. She was very dedicated to the Alliance and restoring the Republic."

"Sounds like what I expected," she replies, expression lightening, "Though I always thought it would be a boy."

Luke finds himself blushing a little. His mother had hoped for a boy. Had hoped for... him.

He had no idea Anakin knew about him. He thought... well, it doesn't matter what, precisely, he thought, but it was wrong. No. His father knew about him, and he loved him from the very start, as soon as he knew he had a son to love. So did his mother. Both his parents wanted him, dreamed of him, and after so long of wondering, it... it feels good.

And now, they're all he cares for. Well, not truly all, but as long as they're safe in what is to come, he knows the Light will prevail. If his father is there, and if Leia is alright, it will be fine. Everything will be fine.

"I never expected to have twins, but I'm glad we had the warning." She chuckles. "Although now it appears we'll have three children."

"I don't know if my presence here is... permanent," Luke replies. Part of him wants it to be, but logically, he knows that will mean he'll never be able to see his Han and Leia again. He doesn't know what will happen, but his father had assured him it could be better. He never had time to process all the ramifications of it before agreeing. How could he not?

"I see," Padme replies, looking a little less happy at that, "But I'm still grateful for the time we'll get to spend with you."

"So am I," he murmurs. "I never knew anything about either of you beyond stories. It's... not the same in person." He hates this. He should have known her from the start. She should have been the one to raise him, but he's not getting to know her until he's already in his twenties.

"I imagine not," Padme replies, "I wish you could have been raised by us."

"Me too," he says, "And with Leia. But... aren't marriages forbidden among the Jedi? What are you going to do?"

"I'll leave the Senate," she answers. It doesn't seem to bother her much. "I want to go back to Naboo. It's going to come out one way or another. Anakin won't be able to stay in the Order."

Luke frowns. "Does that bother him?" Anakin hadn't seemed particularly stressed about anything, and it had admittedly not crossed his mind until right now.

"He told me it doesn't matter to him if it's found out," she replies, "I never wanted him to give up his life because of our marriage, but... now it's for you. Our children." She gives him a smile.

He doesn't know how to reply. It's overwhelming to hear, and it makes him slightly embarrassed that he never thought much about her. It's not that he didn't care, it's that... he doesn't even know. He's completely overwhelmed by everything that's happened, and he needs time to think it through and process. Meditate, maybe.

They don't have time to say anything else before the door to Padme's office suddenly opens, and a tall, dark-haired man appearing in the doorway.

"Bail," Padme greets, and then the reason he looks so familiar finally clicks into place. Luke saw holograms of before, and but... he was older then, and people look a little different in person.

Bail Organa. Leia's adopted father.

He'd heard so much about him from Leia, but it had hardly crossed his mind that he would still be alive in this time. Now he really wishes that his sister was here, because he knows how much she missed her adopted parents.

"I hope I am not interrupting anything," Bail declares, looking between the two.

"No, you aren't," Padme assures, then turns back to Luke, "I'm sorry but I have some meetings to attend to now."

He feels an instant swell of disappointment, but he understands. Padme is a busy Senator, after all. "We can talk later," Luke decides, turning to head for the door. His gaze lingers on Bail for another moment before he steps out into the hall. He almost wants to say something to him, but there's nothing meaningful that he actually could say without revealing his identity, and it's better to stop making exceptions about who he tells things. The fewer people who know, the better. Maybe he'll have time later.

For now, it's time to go find Anakin.

Final Notes: If you want to join our Discord to receive updates or just hang out, here's the invite link, and please delete the spaces! :) discord . gg / nqSxuz2

You can find us on tumblr at @fanfictasia (which is our more serious blog which does have controversial posts on it; I won't be offended if you choose to block it, promise), and @disastertriowriting (which is our fun blog with crack posts or incorrect SW quotes; we also advertise our SW gift exchanges on there)

And! We have a YT channel for tributes! Please delete the spaces in the link. :D youtube . com / channel / UC_g1M5rSCxJUzQCRS29B6pA

Finally, if you're interested, you can submit a SW gift fic request via the following form (delete the spaces): forms . gle / rmXWtRomMMaULuPa6

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

129K 4.1K 36
Anakin Skywalker will not become Darth Vader. Not yet, anyway. Padmé saved him from a lifetime of regret by pulling him out of the fateful battle bet...
4.5K 124 14
After leaving Vader a second time, Obi-Wan is given, and takes, the chance to travel to the past to fix his mistakes. He hopes it will be easy. It's...
536K 14.4K 25
*CURRENTLY BEING REWRITTEN W/ EXTENDED CHAPTERS, GRAMMAR AND SPELLING CORRECTIONS, AND PLOT HOLE FILLERS (ONLY CH 1-15 COMPLETED)* The war against th...
660 47 8
Civil war has ravaged the galaxy since countless Jedi escaped Operation Knightfall, because of a mysterious forewarning. As Vader raises Leia amidst...