someone to stay, supernatural...

By maybankwalker

[ supernatural -- seasons 1-5 ] SPN Crossover Series: Someone to Stay Something in the Orange I DO NOT own Su... More

CAST, ACT ONE
001. the winchesters
002. jericho
003. never go home
004. changed lives
005. terrible driver
006. wendigo
007. kids are strong
008. drowning
009. final destination thing
010. bloody mary
011. shapeshifter
012. hook man
013. bugs
014. psychics and poltergeists
015. telling secrets
016. scarecrows and hitchhiking
018. dean's old girlfriend
019. special children
020. people are crazy
021. human monster
022. tulpa
023. like father, like daughter
024. no boys
025. vampires
026. "they're both mine!"
027. car crash
CAST, ACT TWO
028. really long nap
029. the roadhouse
030. "i will never hate you."
031. gordon walker
032. what's dead should stay dead
033. andy and ansem
034. h. h. holmes ghost
035. death omen
036. crossroads
037. croatoan
038. new power
039. possession
040. scooby doo-like case
041. bank robbery
042. angels
043. 2018
044. return of meg
045. trickster
046. sisters
047. road kill
048. werewolf love
049. movie set
050. dream life
051. demon blood
052. gates of hell
CAST, ACT THREE
053. groups of seven
054. changelings
055. rabbit's foot
056. look out
057. fairy tales
058. ghost ship
059. vamp gordon
060. christmas
061. dream root
062. mystery spot
063. jus in bello
064. ghostfacers
065. dean and natalie
066. worst summer ever
CAST, ACT FOUR
067. september eighteenth
068. angel of the lord
069. 1973
070. angry aunt
071. rougarou
072. horror movie monsters
073. yellow fever
074. halloween
075. wishing well
076. anna and alastair
077. demons vs. angels
078. living in the walls
079. magic act
080. dead siblings
081. torture
082. amateurs
083. books
084. half-brother
085. secret's out
086. hallucinations
087. all hell breaks loose
CAST, ACT FIVE
88. beginning of the end
089. parting ways
090. different lives
091. role models
092. pranks
093. grumpy old men
094. play your part
095. convention
096. surprises
097. body swap
098. 1978
099. heaven
100. whore of babylon
101. saying yes
102. motel hell
103. sam's old friend
104. sam's plan
105. big showdown
BOOK TWO

017. dying dean

679 34 19
By maybankwalker

"What do you got those amped up to?" Sam asks his brother as Dean takes tasers out.

"A hundred thousand volts." Dean answers.

"Damn." The twins chorus.

"Yeah, I want this rawhead extra frickin' crispy. And remember, you only get one shot with these things. So make it count." Dean says.

"All right, you two, don't leave this car. No matter what." Dean tells Ophelia and Libby.

"I know, I know. Stay here." Ophelia huffs out the rule repeated so many times. Dean leans in the window kisses her on the head.

The three siblings go into the house and go down to the basement.

"On three. One, two, three." Dean whispers. He swings the cabinet door open, finding a young boy and girl inside, covering their ears.

"Is it still here?" Sam asks and the two kids nod.

"Okay. Grab your sister's hand, come on, we gotta get you out of here. Let's go, let's go." They start to go upstairs and as Sam follows, something reaches through the steps and grabs his leg, yanking him down.

"Sam!" His siblings shout. The children scream and run to the top of the stairs. Dean shoots at the monster, but misses.

"Get 'em outta here!" Dean shouts.

"Here." Natalie gives him her taser before she rushes up the stairs. She helps Sam up before rushing to the children.

"Come on, guys." Natalie urgently ushers them out of the house with Sam.

"Okay, you stay with them, I'm going back in." Sam says.

"Wh-- wait, Sam!" Natalie calls, but he's already back inside. "Okay, you two, come on. You're gonna get in the car. My nieces are back there, too, but don't worry, they're nice."

Natalie opens the back door, Ophelia scooting over as much as she can and the two siblings get in.

"Hi." Ophelia tells them. The siblings give her small waves in return.

"Are you guys hurt?" Natalie asks the siblings and the boy shakes his head. "Good. Good. We're gonna get you guys home real soon. I promise."

"Nat!" She hears Sam yell, fear in his voice.

"You guys stay here." Natalie tells them. "All of you." She states, sending a pointed look to Ophelia who rolls her eyes, slumping in the seat. She softly shuts the door and runs back into the house.

"Sam!" She calls, rushing down the basement stairs. She finds Sam next to an unconscious Dean. "What the hell happened?"

"I don't-- he shot the taser, but he was in water. I think it got him too." Sam says.

"Shit." Natalie whispers.

"C'mon. We gotta get him to a hospital." Sam says.

"Yeah. Yeah." Natalie moves forward to help lift her older brother up.

+++

They're standing at the receptionist desk in the hospital. Sam is holding Libby and Natalie constantly glances over to Ophelia who is sadly sitting in a chair.

"Sir, ma'am, I'm so sorry to ask. There doesn't seem to be any insurance on file." The receptionist says.

"Right. Uh, okay." Sam takes his wallet out and gives her a card.

"Okay, Mr. Burkovitz." The receptionist says. Sam grabs Natalie's wrist and drags her to the two cops that are waiting.

"Look, we can finish this up later." One cop offers.

"No, no, it's okay. We were just taking a shortcut through the neighborhood. And, um, the windows were rolled down, we heard some screaming when we drove past the house, and we stopped. Ran in." Sam says.

"And you found the kids in the basement?" The cop asks.

"Mm-hmm." Natalie nods.

"Well, thank God you did." The cop says.

"Excuse me." Sam tells them, seeing the doctor.

"Sure. Thanks for your help." One of them say as the twins walk to the doctor.

"Hey, doc. Is he..." Sam trails off.

"He's resting." The doctor states. Ophelia notices them by the doctor and walks over, going unnoticed by all three adults.

"And?" The twins urge.

"The electrocution triggered a heart attack. Pretty massive, I'm afraid. His heart... it's damaged." The doctor informs.

"How damaged?" Sam asks.

"We've done all we can. We can try and keep him comfortable at this point. But, I'd give him a couple weeks, at most, maybe a month." The doctor says.

"No, no. There's-there's-- gotta be something you can do, some kind of treatment." Sam says.

"We can't work miracles. I really am sorry." The doctor says.

"Daddy's dying?" Ophelia frowns, making the three turn to her.

"Sweetie--" Natalie tries to comfort her, but Ophelia runs away. "Ophelia!" She chases after her niece. "Ophelia!" She yells as the girl runs outside.

Not paying enough attention, Ophelia starts to race out into the road. Natalie's eyes widen and her speed picks up, grabbing Ophelia's arm and yanking her back onto the sidewalk as a car drives by and honks.

"Ophelia Evangeline Winchester, what are you doing? You know better than to run out into the road." Natalie states.

"I don't want daddy to die." Ophelia sobs.

Natalie quietly sighs and pulls her niece into a hug.

"I know, sweetie. I know." Natalie says, brushing through Ophelia's hair. "Hey." She crouches in front of Ophelia, putting her hands on her upper arms. "Your uncle and I aren't going to let your dad die. Besides, we know stuff that the doctor doesn't, right? I'm sure we can find something to help us get him better."

"I guess." Ophelia sniffles.

"We'll figure out." Natalie assures. She gently grabs Ophelia's chin in her hand. "But no more running out into the road." She orders. Ophelia sniffles and nods.

"Sorry." She quietly says.

"Well, at least you're okay." Natalie says, bringing Ophelia into another hug.

+++

They walk into Dean's hospital room and he's sitting up, his back resting against the pillows. He's looking at the TV and Natalie's heartstrings tug at his pale skin and dark circles under his eyes.

"Daddy!" Ophelia climbs onto the hospital bed, cuddling into his side.

"Hey, sweetheart." He mumbles. "Have you guys ever actually watched daytime TV? It's terrible." Dean says.

"We talked to your doctor." Sam says.

"That fabric softener teddy bear. Oh, I'm gonna hunt that little bitch down." Dean says.

"Dean." The twins call.

"Yeah." Dean turns the TV off. "All right, well, looks like you're gonna leave town without me."

"What are you talking about? I'm not gonna leave you here." Sam says.

"Hey, you better take care of that car and my human baby. Or, I swear, I'll haunt your ass." Dean says.

"Dean." Natalie hisses, sending a concerned glance to Ophelia.

"I don't think that's funny." Sam says.

"Oh, come on, it's a little funny." Dean says. "Look, guys, what can I say? It's a dangerous gig. I drew the short straw. That's it, end of story."

"Don't talk like that, alright? We still have options." Sam says.

"What options? Yeah, burial or cremation. And I know it's not easy... but I'm gonna die. And you can't stop it. Neither of you can." Dean says.

"Watch me." Sam walks out of the room.

Ophelia frowns, hating that her father is so okay with dying. She sits up and kisses him on the cheek before leaving the room without a word.

Natalie walks over and smacks Dean on the head.

"Ow. What, you're gonna hit a dying man?" Dean asks.

"Yes. You can't talk like that in front of your six year old daughter, Dean." Natalie says.

"Well, it's important that she knows she's gonna lose me soon." Dean says.

"Sam and I are not letting you die and there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop us. Also you don't be insensitive to or around a six year old. She almost ran out into traffic crying over your stupid ass."

"Wait, she what? Is she okay?" Dean manages enough energy to sit up.

"Yeah. Yes, she's fine. She-- nobody got hurt. I mean... I might've almost ripped her arm out of its socket, but she's fine. Aside from her dying father who couldn't care less about leaving his daughter behind."

"I don't wanna leave her behind. What, you think I want to leave her? That I don't want to see her grow up? I want to, okay? But you gotta face the facts."

"The facts are that Sam and I refuse to let you die... especially for Ophelia. So you're not dying." Natalie walks out.

+++

The twins have been researching for something to help Dean and one of the motel beds covered in paper. Sam is sitting on the other bed and has his phone to his ear.

"Hey, dad. It's Sam. Uh... you probably won't even get this, but, uh... it's Dean. He's sick and, uh, the doctors say there's nothing they can do. Um... but, uh, they don't know the things we know, right? So, don't worry, cause I'm, uh... Natty and I are gonna do whatever it takes to get him better. Alright... just wanted you to know."

Sam hangs up, tossing the phone on the bed and sits there silently. There's a knock on the door after a few moments and Sam gets up, opening it to reveal Dean leaning against the doorway.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Sam asks.

"I checked myself out." Dean says.

"Deanie!" Libby cheers.

"What, are you crazy?" Sam asks, shutting the door.

"Well, I'm not gonna die in a hospital where the nurses aren't even hot." Dean says, using everything as support as he walks to a chair and sits down. "Hey, baby girl." He says to Ophelia who is sitting on the couch.

Ophelia stares at him for a few moments, but turns back to her coloring book after a few moments, still upset by him willing to die so easily.

"Okay." Dean mumbles.

"You know, this whole "I laugh in the face of death" thing? It's crap. I can see right through it." Sam says.

"Yeah, you're like an open book sometimes, man." Natalie agrees.

"Yeah, whatever, dudes. Have you two even slept? You guys look worse than me." Dean says.

"We've been scouring the internet for the last three days. Calling every contact in dad's journal." Sam says.

"For what?" Dean asks.

"A way to help you, dumbass." Natalie states.

"One of dad's friends, Joshua, he called us back. Told us about a guy in Nebraska. A specialist." Sam says.

"You guys aren't gonna let me die in peace, are you?" Dean asks.

"We're not gonna let you die, period. We're going." Sam states.

+++

They get to their destination and there's a large white tent that people are going into. It's lightly raining which excites Libby. Natalie gets out and gets Libby out, holding the young girl. Natalie Dean's door with her free hand and Sam rushes over to help his brother get out. Libby holds her head back, sticking her tongue out and tries to catch raindrops.

"I got ya." Sam says.

"I got it." Dean pushes him away. "Man, you are a lying bastard. Thought you said we were going to see doctor."

"I believe I said a specialist." Sam says.

"He did say specialist." Natalie confirms while holding onto Ophelia's hand.

"Look, Dean, this guy's supposed to be the real deal." Sam says.

"I can't believe you brought me here to see some guy who heals people out of a tent." Dean says.

"Reverend LeGrange is a great man." An elderly woman states as she passes them.

"Yeah, that's nice." Dean mutters.

"I have a right to protest. This man is a fraud. And he's milking all these people out of their hard earned money." A man tells a cop.

"Sir, this is a place of worship. Let's go. Move it." The sheriff orders.

"I take it he's not part of the flock." Dean says.

"When people see something they can't explain, there's controversy." Sam says.

"I mean, come on, guys, a faith healer?" Dean asks.

"Maybe it's time to have a little faith, Dean." Sam says.

"You know what I've got faith in? Reality. Knowing what's really going on." Dean says.

"How can you be a skeptic? With the things we see everyday?" Sam asks.

"Exactly. We see them, we know they're real." Dean says.

"But if you know evil's out there, how can you not believe good's out there, too?" Sam asks.

"Because I've seen what evil does to good people." Dean says.

"Maybe God works in mysterious ways." A young woman walks up to them.

"Maybe he does." Dean smiles.

"Gross." Natalie mumbles under her breath.

"I think you just turned me around on the subject." Dean tells the woman.

"Yeah, I'm sure." The woman says.

"I'm Dean. This is Sam and Natalie. Libby and Ophelia." Dean informs.

"I'm his daughter." Ophelia informs.

"Layla." She shakes Dean's hand. "So, if you're not a believer, then why are you here?"

"Well, apparently my family believes enough for the five of us." Dean says.

"Layla. It's about to start." An older woman walks up to Layla, putting her arm around her, and they go into the tent.

"Well, I bet you she can work in some mysterious ways." Dean says.

"You're disgusting." Natalie states, letting go of Ophelia's hand to flick her brother in the head.

"Ow!" Dean cries out.

"Pig." Natalie states, walking into the tent.

"No, rain go bye-bye." Libby pouts.

"You'll see rain again later." Natalie tells her.

Sam laughs as he follows his sister, grabbing Ophelia's hand and forcing Dean to walk in the tent.

"Yeah, peace, love, and trust all over." Dean mutters. The twins follow his gaze to a security camera in the corner. Dean starts to sit in the back, but Sam stops him.

"Come on." Sam drags him to the front.

"Don't! What are you doing? Let's sit here." Dean says.

"We're sitting up front." Sam says.

"What? Why?" Dean asks.

"Come on." Sam drags Dean down the aisle.

"Oh, come on, Sam." Dean groans.

"Stop being a little whiny bitch, Dean." Natalie whispers.

"You alright?" Sam asks his brother.

"This is ridiculous." Dean states. "I'm good, dude, get off me." He slaps Sam's hand off.

"Perfect." Sam points to three empty seats. Natalie moves to the third chair and sits down, offering a polite smile to the woman next to her when she gives Natalie one. Natalie puts Libby on her lap.

"You take the aisle." Sam says, sitting next to his sister. He pulls Ophelia onto his lap, keeping an arm around her so she doesn't fall. Sam attempts to help Dean sit down, but the older one waves him off in an aggravated manner, sitting down.

A man wearing sunglasses is helped to the middle of the stage a woman.

"Each morning, my wife, Sue Ann, reads me the news. Never seems good, does it?" Roy asks, the crowd agreeing. "Seems like there's always someone committing some immoral, unspeakable act. But, I say to you, God is watching. God rewards the good, and He punishes the corrupt."

"It is the Lord who does the healing here, friends. The Lord who guides me in choosing who to heal by helping me see into people's hearts."

"Yeah, and into their wallets." Dean mumbles.

"You think so, young man?" Roy asks.

"Sorry." Dean says.

"No, no. Don't be. Just watch what you say around a blind man, we've got real sharp ears." Roy says making the crowd laugh. "What's your name, son?"

"Dean."

"Dean. I want-- I want you to come up here with me." Roy says and the crowd claps. Sue Ann moves to the center of the stage.

"No, it's okay." Dean dismisses.

"What are you doing?!" Sam harshly whispers.

"Dude!" Natalie pokes Dean's arm.

"You've come here to be healed, haven't ya?" Roy asks.

"Well, yeah, but, uhh..." The crowd cheers and encourages him. "Maybe you should just pick someone else."

"Oh, no. I didn't pick you, Dean, the Lord did." Roy says.

"Get up there!" Sam tells his brother as the crowd encourages him.

"Dean, go." Natalie tells him.

"Please, daddy." Ophelia looks up at him with puppy dog eyes and Dean looks at her, his demeanor instantly softening.

Dean sighs, getting up and going to the stage, Sue Ann helping him stand next to Roy.

"You ready?" Roy asks.

"Look, no disrespect, but, uh, I'm not exactly a believer." Dean says.

"You will be, son. You will be." Roy says. "Pray with me, friends." He tells the crowd. Roy raises his arms before putting a hand on Dean's shoulder and then his head.

Dean slowly sinks to his knees, looking slightly more tired than before. Natalie and Sam both sit up, sharing worried glances. Dean sways before he falls onto the floor.

"Daddy!" Ophelia dashes to her dad.

"Dean!" Sam and Natalie follow as the crowd cheers.

"Dean?" Natalie gently pats him on the head. Sam grabs onto Dean's hoodie and shakes him slightly.

"Daddy, wake up." Ophelia taps his forehead.

Dean gasps awake, his eyes shooting open.

+++

"So, you really feel okay?" Sam asks.

"I feel fine, Sam." Dean says as he sits on the hospital bed. Ophelia is sitting next to him and holding onto his arm.

"Well, according to all your tests there's nothing wrong with your heart." The doctor states, walking in. "No sign there ever was. Not that a man your age should be having heart trouble, but, still it's strange it does happen."

"What do you mean, strange?" Dean asks.

"Well, just yesterday, a young guy like you, 27, athletic. Out of nowhere, heart attack." The doctor says.

"Thanks, doc." Dean says.

"No problem." The doctor says, walking out.

"That's odd." Dean says.

"Maybe it's a coincidence. People's hearts give out all the time, man." Sam says.

"No, they don't." Dean argues.

"Look, Dean, do we really have to look this one in the mouth? Why can't we just be thankful that the guy saved your life and move on?" Sam asks.

"Because I can't shake this feeling, that's why." Dean says.

"What feeling?" Sam asks.

"When I was healed, I just... I felt wrong. I felt cold. And for a second... I saw someone. This, uh, this old man. And I'm telling you, it was a spirit." Dean says.

"But if there was something there, Dean, I think I would've seen it, too. I mean, I've been seeing an awful lot of things lately." Sam says.

"Well, excuse me, psychic wonder. But you're just gonna need a little faith on this one. Sam, I've been hunting long enough to trust a feeling like this." Dean says.

"Yeah, alright." Sam sighs. "So, what do you wanna do?"

"I want you and Nat to go check out the heart attack guy. I'm gonna visit the reverend. Take the girls with you." Dean says.

"No, daddy. I wanna stay with you." Ophelia says.

"Baby--" Dean starts.

"No! No, no, no. Please." Ophelia begs, her grip on his arm only tightening as tears well in her eyes.

"Okay. Okay, yeah, okay. You can stay with me, baby." Dean assures. She holds her arms up and Dean picks her up, Ophelia clinging to him like a koala.

+++

Dean and Ophelia are sitting on a couch, Ophelia hugging Dean's arm, refusing to let him out of her reach. Roy is sitting across from them and Sue Ann is filling up their drinks.

"I feel great. Just trying to, you know, make sense of what happened." Dean says.

"A miracle is what happened." Sue Ann says. "Well, miracles come so often around Roy."

"When did they start?" Dean asks. "The miracles."

"Woke up one morning, stone blind. Doctors figured out I had cancer. Told me I had maybe a month. So, uh, we prayed for a miracle. I was weak, but I told Sue Ann, "You just keep right on praying." I went into a coma. Doctors said I wouldn't wake up, but I did. And the cancer was gone."

Roy takes his sunglasses off to reveal his white eyes.

"If it wasn't for these eyes, no one would believe I'd ever had it."

"And suddenly you could heal people." Dean says.

"I discovered it afterward, yes. God's blessed me in many ways." Roy says.

"And his flock just swelled overnight. And this is just the beginning." Sue Ann says.

"Can I ask you one last question?" Dean asks.

"Of course you can." Roy says.

"Why? Why me?" Dean asks. "Out of all the people, why save me?" Ophelia frowns at her father's negative emotions, wishing he'd feel better about himself.

"Well, like I said before, the Lord guides me. I looked into your heart, and you just stood out from all the rest." Roy says.

"What did you see in my heart?"

"A young man with an important purpose. A job to do. And it isn't finished."

~ ~ ~

Dean and Ophelia leave the house, Dean holding onto her hand, and they see Layla and her mom waiting on the steps.

"Dean, hey." Layla greets.

"Hey." Dean says.

"How you feeling?" Layla asks.

"I feel good. Cured, I guess. What are you doing here?"

"You know, my mom, she wanted to talk to the reverend." Layla says.

"Layla?" Sue Ann asks, walking out.

"Yes, I'm here again." Layla says.

"Well, I'm sorry, but Roy is resting. He won't be seeing anyone else right now." Sue Ann states.

"Sue Ann, please. This is our sixth time, he's got to see us." Mrs. Rourke says.

"Roy is well aware of Layla's situation. And he very much wants to help just as soon as the Lord allows. Have faith, Mrs. Rourke." Sue Ann goes back inside.

"Why are you still even here? You got what you wanted." Mrs. Rourke snaps at Dean.

"Mom. Stop." Layla says.

"No, Layla, this is too much. We've been to every single service. If Roy would stop choosing these strangers over you. Strangers who don't even believe. I just can't pray any harder." Mrs. Rourke says.

"Layla, what's wrong?" Dean asks.

"I have this thing..." She says.

"It's a brain tumor. It's inoperable. In six months, the doctors say..." Mrs. Rourke tearfully stops herself.

"I'm sorry." Dean says.

"It's okay." Layla says.

"No. It isn't." Mrs. Rourke argues before looking at Dean. "Why do you deserve to live more than my daughter?"

"Hey, I'm sorry about your daughter, but he has a daughter too, and I really need him."

"Oph--" Dean tries to stop her.

"And he also does a lot of good in the world and saves people. He's a superhero. It's sad that your daughter's dying and that Roy didn't pick her, but you can't blame my daddy for that."

Mrs. Rourke doesn't say anything, storming off, Layla following.

"Am I in trouble?" Ophelia asks her dad. Dean quietly sighs, grabbing onto her hand again.

"No, you're fine, baby." Dean assures. "You want some hot chocolate?"

"Yeah. But we have to get some for Libby and Aunt Natty too." Ophelia says.

"Of course." Dean says.

+++

The twins talked to a guy at the swimming pool that knew the guy who had died. The clock at the place was frozen at 4:17 when the man died. Which is the same time Dean was healed.

They're currently in the motel room and have been researching, figuring out that Roy's trading lives. Libby is on Sam's lap, cuddling into his chest while she drinks some juice.

"Sammy..." Natalie softly calls. "We couldn't have known." She says. Sam has a deep frown on his face.

"Yeah. Right." Sam whispers, rubbing his face.

The door opens, Dean and Ophelia walking in. Ophelia has a cup of hot chocolate and Dean is carrying two more.

"What'd you find out?" Dean asks. Ophelia puts her hot chocolate and takes the two from her dad. She hands one to Natalie.

"Thanks, sweetie." Natalie quietly says, forcing a small smile at the girl.

Ophelia gives the other hot chocolate to Libby who grins and squeals, taking the cup, just letting her sippy cup drop to the floor.

"So?" Dean asks, picking the sippy cup up and putting it on the counter.

"I'm sorry." Sam quietly tells him.

"Sorry about what?" Dean asks.

"Marshall Hall died at 4:17." Sam states.

"The exact time I was healed."

"Yeah. So, we put together a list of everyone Roy's healed, six people over the past year, and we cross checked them with the local obits. Every time someone was healed, someone else died. And each time, the victim died of the same symptom LeGrange was healing at the time."

"Someone's healed of cancer, someone else dies of cancer?" Dean says.

"Somehow." Sam says. "LeGrange... he's trading a life for another."

"Wait, wait, wait. So, Marshall Hall died to save me?" Dean asks.

"Dean, the guy probably would've died anyway." Sam says.

"Yeah, and someone else would've been healed." Natalie says.

"You two never should've brought me here." Dean says.

"Dean, we were just trying to save your life." Sam says.

"But, Sam, some guy is dead now because of me." Dean says.

"Dean, we didn't fucking know, okay? If we knew, we wouldn't have done it and we would've tried to work the case or-or whatever. You can't be pissed at us for not knowing something terrible was going to happen." Natalie states.

Dean's shoulder become a little less tense, knowing she's right.

"The thing I don't understand is how is Roy doing it? How's he trading a life for a life?" Sam asks.

"He's not doing it. Something else is doing it for him." Dean says.

"What do you mean?" Sam asks.

"The old man I saw on stage. I didn't wanna believe it, but deep down I knew."

"You knew what? What are you talking about?" Sam asks.

"There's only one thing that can give and take life like that." Dean says. The twins give him confused looks. "We're dealing with a reaper."

+++

"You really think it's the Grim Reaper? Like, angel of death, collect your soul, the whole deal?" Sam asks. It's the next day and the three siblings are sitting at the table. Libby is on Sam's lap and Ophelia is on one of the beds.

"No, no, no, not the Grim Reaper, a reaper. There's reaper lore in pretty much every culture on earth, it goes by 100 different names, it's possible that there's more than one of them." Dean says.

"But you said you saw a dude in a suit." Sam says.

"What, you think he should've been working the whole black robe thing?" Dean questions.

"I mean... you know, why not?" Natalie shrugs.

"You said it yourself that the clock stopped, right? Reapers stop time. And you can only see 'em when they're coming at you which is why I could see it and you guys couldn't." Dean says.

"Maybe." Sam says.

"There's nothing else it could be, Sam. The question is how is Roy controlling the damn thing?" Dean questions.

"That cross." Sam says.

"What?" Dean asks.

"There was this cross, I noticed it in the church and I knew I had seen it before." Sam says, looking through some of the stuff on the table. "Here." He shows the two a tarot card.

"A tarot?" Dean asks.

"It makes sense. A tarot dates back to the early Christian era, right? When some priests were still using magic? And a few of them veered into the dark stuff. Necromancy and how to push death away, how to cause it?"

"So Roy's using black magic to bind a reaper?" Natalie asks.

"If he is, he's riding the whirlwind. It's like putting a dog leash on a great white." Sam says.

"Well, that'd be an experience." Natalie mumbles. Sam lets out a short, quiet laugh.

"Okay, then we stop Roy." Dean says, putting his cup in the sink and leaning against the counter.

"How?" The twins ask.

"You know how." Dean says.

"Wait, what the hell are you talking about, Dean? We can't kill Roy." Sam states.

"Sam, the guy's playing God, he's deciding who lives and who dies. That's a monster in my book." Dean says.

"Dean, we can't kill him." Natalie argues.

"We do that, we're not better than he is." Sam says.

"Okay, we can't kill Roy, we can't kill Death. Any bright ideas, college boy, Kimmy Gibbler?" Dean asks.

"Okay, uh... if Roy's using some kind of black spell on the reaper, we gotta figure out what it is." Sam says.

"And how to break it." Natalie states.

+++

They get out of the car where Roy's healing takes place. They left Ophelia and Libby at the motel.

"If Roy's using a spell, there might be a spell book." Sam says.

"See if you guys can find it. Hurry up too, the service starts in 15 minutes. I'll try to stall Roy." Dean says.

"Roy LeGrange is a fraud. He's no healer." The protester hands a paper to Dean.

"Amen, brother." Dean takes the pamphlet.

"Good job." Natalie tells him.

"You keep up the good work." Sam says.

"Thank you." The man says. The twins separate from Dean and go to Roy's house. They wait around back for Roy, Sue Ann, and another guy leave.

"Come on." Sam whispers, leading his sister to a window and he opens it. He climbs in and Natalie climbs in after him. Natalie trips over her own foot and stumbles, but Sam -- having already been prepared -- catches her before she falls on her face.

"Thanks." Natalie whispers.

"Yeah." Sam mumbles.

They start to look around, finding anything that could help them. Natalie is examining the bookshelf and take a large book out, reading the front. She looks up, seeing a smaller book that was hidden behind the one in her hand. She puts the large book down and gets the smaller book.

She opens it, finding a picture of a skeleton reaper and on a different page there's the wooden cross that Sam was talking about earlier. There's newspaper articles of the people who died. The guy who died for Dean was a gay teacher, a woman who died was an abortion rights advocate, and there's a clipping about the guy that protests outside of the tent.

"Hey, Sammy." Natalie calls.

"Yeah?" He walks over to her and she shows him the book and the newspaper clipping. Sam calls Dean, putting it on speaker.

"What have you got?" Dean asks.

"Roy's choosing victims he sees as immoral. And we think we know who's next on his list. Remember that protestor?" Sam asks.

"What, the guy in the parking lot?" Dean asks.

"Yeah. Yeah, we'll find him. But you can't let Roy heal anyone, alright?" Sam says and Dean hangs up.

"Protesting isn't immoral." Natalie comments.

"Well, given he's protesting about faith healing, Roy probably sees it that way." Sam says.

"Wait, he's religious. And religious people... usually aren't fans of abortion. So, would I... I mean, could I--"

"I-I mean, they don't know that you had one, so... I think you're safe. Hopefully." Sam says.

"Hopefully. That's... that's reassuring." Natalie mumbles.

"Come on." Sam grabs her arm, dragging her out and they get to the car park and look around for the protestor.

"Help!" They hear a man scream. The turn and rush to find where the voice came from. "Help! Help me, please!"

Sam grabs Natalie's arm, yanking her in the protestor's direction when he spots him.

"Where is he?!" Sam asks.

"Right there!" He grabs onto Sam's shoulder and points.

"Fine, come on." Sam pulls Wright away, the three running off. Sam gets his phone out and calls Dean.

"David, I think it's okay." Sam says. David nods and looks around.

"No!" He screams.

"Dean, it didn't work. The reaper's still coming!" Sam states. "I'm telling you it didn't work. Roy must not be the one controlling this thing."

"Then who the hell is?" Dean asks.

David is on his knees and seems much like how Dean was when he got healed. David falls to the ground and gasps for air.

"I got you. I got you." Sam helps him up.

"Thank God." He sighs in relief.

~ ~ ~

"Private session tonight, no interruptions. I give you my word, I'll heal your daughter." Roy assures Mrs. Rourke, the three Winchesters able to hear them.

+++

"So Roy really believes." Sam says.

"I don't think he has any idea what his wife's doing." Dean says.

"Well, Natty found this." Sam gives Dean the small book.

"It was hidden in their library. It's ancient. Was written by a priest who went dark side." Natalie states. "There's a binding spell in there for trapping a reaper."

"Must be a hell of a spell." Dean says.

"Yeah. You gotta build a black altar with seriously dark stuff -- bones, human blood. To cross a line like that, that preacher's wife -- black magic, murder... evil." Sam says.

"Desperate." Dean says. "Her husband was dying, she'd have done anything to save him. She was using this binding spell to keep the reaper away from Roy."

"Cheating death -- literally." Sam says.

"Yeah, but Roy's alive, so why is she still using the spell?" Dean asks.

"Right. To force the reaper to kill people she thinks are immoral." Natalie says. "Which is just fucking stupid and not her job."

"May God save us from half the people who think they're doing God's work." Dean says.

"We gotta break that binding spell." Sam states.

"You know, Sue Ann had a coptic cross like this. When she dropped it, the reaper backed off." Dean says.

"So you think we gotta find the cross or destroy the altar?" Sam asks.

"Maybe both." Dean says. "Whatever we do, we better do it soon. Roy's healing Layla tonight." Dean states.

+++

"That's Layla's car. She's already here." Sam says.

"Yeah." Dean mumbles.

"Dean--"

"You know, if Roy would've picked Layla instead of me, she'd be here right now. And if she's not healed, she's gonna die in a couple of months." Dean says.

"What's happening to her is horrible. But what are you gonna do? Let somebody else die to save her? You said it yourself, Dean, you can't play God." Sam says.

Dean silently gets out of the car, the twins sharing sad looks and following. They walk up to the tent and peak inside where a small group is, including Roy, Layla, and her mom.

"Where's Sue Ann?" Dean questions.

"House." Sam says.

"Go find Sue Ann, I'll catch up." Dean says, gently pushing the two away from him.

"What are you gonna--?" Natalie's question is cut off by Dean yelling out to the cops. The twins hide and when the others are gone, they run up the stairs and check around the house.

Sam nudges Natalie and nods forward, her seeing a light coming from the cracks to the outside basement entrance.

They go to the doors and each open one, quietly going inside. They reach the bottom of the stairs, finding an altar that has a candle lit on top of it. There's parts of dead animals, blood, horns, and a bunch of other disgusting things.

In the middle is a photo of Dean that was taken when they first got to the tent before he was healed. His face is crossed out with something red.

"I gave your brother life and I can take it away." The two jump, turning to find Sue Ann. Sam flips the table over then runs at Sue Ann, despite her already being up the stairs. She shuts the doors, locking them in.

"Sam, Natalie, can't you see? The Lord chose me to reward the just and punish the wicked. And your brother is wicked and he deserves to die just as Layla deserves to live. It is God's will." Sue Ann says. "Goodbye." She tells them.

"Well, this is great. I-I thought I was done being locked places, but just when my PTSD heals a tiny bit, here I fucking am." Natalie rants to herself while Sam tries to get out. "I can't-- I can't-- Sammy." She whimpers.

Sam turns to her, his anger turning into concern at her panicked state.

"Hey. Hey, hey, hey. It's okay. I'm right here." Sam puts his hands on her shoulders. "It's not a closet. Dad's not here. You're okay. It's okay."

"I'm trapped." She says quietly, her voice cracking.

"I know. I know. We're both trapped. But you don't have dad waiting outside that door, okay? No-no hitting and-and we can go eat after. And I won't let anything happen to you, okay? Just... just stand there and-and try to breathe."

Sam looks around and finds a block of wood. He grabs it and breaks open a boarded up window. Sam manages to create a hole so they can get out.

"Okay, come on. Come on." Sam gently drags Natalie over to the opening and helps her through before he gets out. "Hey. Hey." He rubs her back. "You okay?"

"I... I think so." Natalie mumbles.

"Okay, come on." Sam tries to drag her, but she keeps her feet planted.

"Uh... can I-- can I just catch up? You go." Natalie says.

"Yeah. Yeah, okay." He nods. He quickly kisses her on the head before racing off, ignoring the small pang of guilt for leaving her alone while she's trying to stop a panic attack.

After managing to calm down, Natalie runs around, trying to find either of her brothers. She finds Sam and rushes over to where he is, stopping when she sees Sue Ann becoming pale and falling to her knees.

Sue Ann falls to the ground, dead.

"Sammy?" Natalie gently calls.

"Hey. Hey, you okay?" He asks, going over to her.

"Mm-hmm. Yeah. Y-eah, I think so." She nods.

"Come on." Sam wraps his arm around her shoulders, leading her back to the Impala.

"You okay?" Sam asks Dean as he also approaches the car.

"Hell of a week." Dean says.

"Yeah. All right, come on. We should get going." Sam says, the three getting in the car.

+++

It's the next day and they're at the motel. Dean is sitting on his bed and staring off into space. Libby is sitting on the other bed while Sam braids her hair into pigtails. Ophelia is sitting at the table and Natalie is working on getting her niece's hair in a French braid.

Since Natalie braided her own hair that morning, both girls immediately wanted braids in their hair. Sam glances at his brother in concern while holding the two hair ties in his mouth.

Sam gets one pigtail for Libby done and takes a hair tie, putting it in her hair. Sam takes the second hair tie out of his mouth.

"What is it?" Sam asks his brother.

"Nothing." Dean says.

"What is it?" Sam gently asks again after a few moments as he parts the other half of Libby's hair.

"We did the right thing here, didn't we?" Dean asks.

"Of course we did." Sam assures, putting the hair tie back in his mouth as he braids Libby's second pigtail.

"It doesn't feel like it." Dean says, looking down.

Natalie frowns sadly in her older brother's direction, wishing she could do something for him.

"All done, sweet girl." Natalie quietly tells Ophelia after tying the girl's French braid. Ophelia gets up and goes to Dean, hugging him around his neck. She kisses him on the cheek before resting her head on his shoulder.

Dean lightly wraps his arms around her, rubbing her back.

There's a knock on the door.

"Nat?" Sam asks, finishing up Libby's hair.

"Yeah." The woman opens the door to find Layla. "Layla. Hi. Uh... come in." She steps aside, letting the woman in.

"Hey." Layla walks in and Dean stands up, keeping a hand on Ophelia's shoulder.

"How did you know we were here?" Dean asks.

"Sam called. He said you... wanted to say goodbye." Layla says.

"I'm gonna... we're gonna grab a soda." Sam says, picking Libby up and grabbing Ophelia's hand. "Come on, Natty."

"Why?" She asks.

"You love soda." Sam says.

"So?" Natalie asks.

"Let's go." Sam lets go of Ophelia's hand and gently shoves Natalie out of the room. "Come on, Ophi."

"I wanna stay." She argues.

"No, sweetie, come on."

"I'm not allowed alone with boys. Why should daddy be allowed alone with girls?" Ophelia questions.

"Cause he's an adult. Let's go."

"I think I should stay."

"Don't think so." Sam wraps an arm around her waist and picks her up, carrying her out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

173K 4.8K 87
[ supernatural -- seasons 2-8 ] Larissa Brewster Series: Habits Iris I DO NOT own Supernatural, any of the show's characters or storylines. I ONLY ow...
3.3K 194 11
❝Things don't quite seem to work out for us, do they?❞ ❝It never does for people like us.❞ . . β€’ β˜† . Β° .β€’ -ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-Β°:. *β‚Š Β° . Adelaide Booker and...
17K 354 20
Dean rescues 5 year old Hayden from her abusive family and takes her under his wing. After recruiting his brother, Sam to find their father, the two...
26.2K 1K 71
[ supernatural -- seasons 6-10 ] Miranda Carpenter Series: Gorgeous Sparks Fly Falling Like the Stars Say You Won't Let Go I DO NOT own Supernatural...