someone to stay, supernatural...

By maybankwalker

[ supernatural -- seasons 1-5 ] SPN Crossover Series: Someone to Stay Something in the Orange I DO NOT own Su... More

CAST, ACT ONE
001. the winchesters
002. jericho
003. never go home
004. changed lives
005. terrible driver
006. wendigo
007. kids are strong
008. drowning
009. final destination thing
010. bloody mary
011. shapeshifter
012. hook man
013. bugs
014. psychics and poltergeists
015. telling secrets
017. dying dean
018. dean's old girlfriend
019. special children
020. people are crazy
021. human monster
022. tulpa
023. like father, like daughter
024. no boys
025. vampires
026. "they're both mine!"
027. car crash
CAST, ACT TWO
028. really long nap
029. the roadhouse
030. "i will never hate you."
031. gordon walker
032. what's dead should stay dead
033. andy and ansem
034. h. h. holmes ghost
035. death omen
036. crossroads
037. croatoan
038. new power
039. possession
040. scooby doo-like case
041. bank robbery
042. angels
043. 2018
044. return of meg
045. trickster
046. sisters
047. road kill
048. werewolf love
049. movie set
050. dream life
051. demon blood
052. gates of hell
CAST, ACT THREE
053. groups of seven
054. changelings
055. rabbit's foot
056. look out
057. fairy tales
058. ghost ship
059. vamp gordon
060. christmas
061. dream root
062. mystery spot
063. jus in bello
064. ghostfacers
065. dean and natalie
066. worst summer ever
CAST, ACT FOUR
067. september eighteenth
068. angel of the lord
069. 1973
070. angry aunt
071. rougarou
072. horror movie monsters
073. yellow fever
074. halloween
075. wishing well
076. anna and alastair
077. demons vs. angels
078. living in the walls
079. magic act
080. dead siblings
081. torture
082. amateurs
083. books
084. half-brother
085. secret's out
086. hallucinations
087. all hell breaks loose
CAST, ACT FIVE
88. beginning of the end
089. parting ways
090. different lives
091. role models
092. pranks
093. grumpy old men
094. play your part
095. convention
096. surprises
097. body swap
098. 1978
099. heaven
100. whore of babylon
101. saying yes
102. motel hell
103. sam's old friend
104. sam's plan
105. big showdown
BOOK TWO

016. scarecrows and hitchhiking

651 34 13
By maybankwalker

Sam and Dean finished the asylum case a few hours ago and now the five Winchesters are all asleep and in the motel. Dean and Ophelia are in one bed and Ophelia is cuddling into her dad's chest and Dean keeps a protective arm around her.

Sam, Libby, and Natalie are on the other bed. Natalie is lying on her side with her back to Sam and he's lying on his stomach and Libby is on his chest.

Sam wakes up to a phone ringing. He glances around and sees that it's Dean's.

"Dean." Sam gently calls, not wanting to wake the girls up. However, Dean doesn't budge, still asleep. Sam sighs, reaching out and grabbing the phone. He looks at the unknown number before answering it, "Hello?"

"Sam, is that you?" John's voice comes through. Sam sits up, keeping an arm around Libby so she doesn't fall back.

"Dad?" Sam asks. "Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine." John says.

"Sweepy time, daddy." Libby tiredly mumbles, trying to cuddle into her father's chest more, not ready to wake up just yet.

"We've been looking for you everywhere. We didn't know where you were, if you were okay." Sam says.

"Sammy, I'm all right. What about you and Dean?" John asks.

"We're fine. So are Natty and your granddaughters." Sam says with a short tone.

"Dad, where are you?" Sam asks.

"Sorry, kiddo, I can't tell you that." John says.

"What? Why not?" Sam asks.

"Is that dad?" Dean asks, sitting up, letting go of Ophelia. The girl moves around, frowning at the lack of warmth her dad was providing.

"Look, I know this is hard for you to understand. You're just gonna have to trust me on this." John says.

"You're after it, aren't you? The thing that killed mom." Sam says.

"Yeah. It's a demon, Sam." John says.

"A demon? You know for sure?" Sam asks.

"A demon? What's he saying?" Dean asks while slipping his shirt on.

"I'm saying that both of you should shut up." Natalie groans, trying to get back to sleep.

"I do. Listen, Sammy, I, uh... I also know what happened to your girlfriend... and Natalie's guy. I'm so sorry. I would've done anything to protect you from that." John tells him.

"You know where it is?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, I think I'm finally closing in on it." John says.

"Let us help."

"You can't. You can't be any part of it."

"Why not?"

"Give me the phone." Dean orders. Ophelia climbs into Dean's lap, curling into his chest, one of his arms instinctively wrapping around her to keep her from falling and he holds his other hand out to Sam for the phone.

"Listen, Sammy, that's why I'm calling. You and your brother, you gotta stop looking for me. All right, now, I need you to write down these names." John says.

"Names? What names? Dad, talk to me, tell me what's going on." Sam says. Libby huffs at her dad not going back to sleep. She climbs off his lap and clumsily climbs over her aunt and cuddles into Natalie's chest.

Natalie covers Libby up, wrapping an arm around her, both trying to fall back asleep.

"Look, we don't have time for this. This is bigger than you think, they're everywhere. Even us talking right now, it's not safe." John says.

"No. All right? No way." Sam argues.

"Give me the phone." Dean argues.

"I have given you an order. Now, you stop following me, and you do your job. You understand me? Now, take down these names." John orders. Dean snatches the phone from his brother.

"Dad, it's me. Where are you?" Dean asks before listening to John's response. "Yes, sir." He says. "Uh, yeah. I got a pen." Dean grabs a notepad and pen from the table between the two beds. Him moving his arm causes Ophelia to fall backwards and crash onto the bed. She lets out a small noise of shock before looking up at her dad who is writing down the names.

"What are you, nuts?" She grumbles. She gets out of the bed and rushes over to where Natalie is, Libby now sandwiched between the two of them as Natalie puts her arm around Ophelia as well.

+++

They're in the car and the two little ones are asleep and Natalie is halfway there. Sam is driving and Dean is in the passenger seat.

"All right, so, the names dad gave us, they're all couples?" Sam asks.

"Three different couples, all went missing." Dean says.

"And they're all from different towns? Different states?" Sam asks.

"That's right. You got Washington, New York, Colorado. Each couple took a road trip cross country. None of them arrived at their destination, and none of them were ever heard from again." Dean says.

"Well, it's a big country, Dean. They could've disappeared anywhere." Sam states.

"Yeah, could've. But each one's route took 'em to the same part of Indiana. Always on the second week of April. One year after another after another."

"This is the second week of April."

"Yep."

"So, dad is sending us to Indiana to go hunting for something before another couple vanishes?"

"Yahtzee. Can you imagine putting together a pattern like this? All the different obits dad had to go through? The man's a master."

Sam huffs in annoyance and pulls over.

"What are you doing?" Dean asks.

"We're not going to Indiana." Sam states.

"We're not?" Dean asks.

"No. We're going to California. Dad called from a payphone. Sacramento area code." Sam says.

"Sam."

"Dean, if this demon killed mom and Jess and Noah, and dad's closing in, we've gotta be there. We've gotta help."

"Dad doesn't want our help."

"I don't care."

"He's given us an order."

"I don't care. We don't always have to do what he says."

"Sam, dad is asking us to work jobs, to save lives, it's important."

"Alright, I understand, believe me, I understand. But I'm talking one week here, man, to get answers. To get revenge."

"Alright, look, I know how you feel."

"Do you? How old were you when mom died? Four? Jess and Noah died six months ago. How the hell would you know how I feel?" Sam asks. The three in the backseat are now all awake, thanks to the brothers' argument.

"Dad said it wasn't safe. I mean, he obviously knows something that we don't, so if he says to stay away, we stay away." Dean states.

"I don't understand the blind faith you have in the man. I mean, it's like you don't even question him." Sam says.

"Yeah, it's called being a good son." Dean says.

"Dude, just shut up." Natalie groans.

Sam gets out of the car and Dean follows, Natalie getting out as well. Sam opens the trunk, getting his and Libby's stuff out.

"You're a selfish bastard, you know that? You just do whatever you want. Don't care what anybody thinks." Dean says.

"That's what you really think?" Sam asks while getting Libby out of her car seat.

"Yes, it is." Dean says.

"Well, then this selfish bastard is going to California." Sam says. He slams the back door shut. "Nat?"

"I'm going with the rebellious one." Natalie says, grabbing her bag.

"What?" Dean asks.

"Okay, you know what? You seem like you're not like you used to be. But whenever dad comes into the conversation, you defend him with every bone in your body. And if he tells you to do something, you still do it with zero question. Whenever I think you're doing better, you revert back to teenage you. At the end of the day, you're still daddy's good little soldier."

"Shut up, Nat." Dean hisses.

"I will when you prove me wrong again." Natalie says before following Sam.

"It's the middle of the night! Hey, I'm taking off, I will leave your asses, you hear me?" Dean says and Sam stops and turns to him. Libby digs her face into the crook of her dad's neck, covering her ears.

"That's what we want you to do." Sam says.

"Goodbye." Dean says. He shuts the trunk and gets in the car, driving away.

"Are we really just gonna leave them?" Ophelia asks her dad.

"Yes." Dean shortly answers. Ophelia frowns, sitting so she's facing the back of the car and watching as her family's figures slowly get further and further away until they're not there.

+++

Dean and Ophelia walk up to the cafe and a man is sitting in a rocking chair outside it.

"Let me guess. Scotty." Dean says. The man looks at the 'Scotty's Cafe' sign.

"Yep." He says.

"Hi, my names John Bonham." Dean says.

"Isn't that the drummer for Led Zeppelin?" Scotty asks.

"Wow. Good. Classic rock fan." Dean says.

"What can I do for you, John?" Scotty asks. Dean takes two missing persons flyers out, showing them to Scotty.

"I was wondering if, uh, you'd seen these people by chance." Dean says.

"Nope. Who are they?"

"Friends of mine. They went missing about a year ago. They passed through somewhere around here, and I've already asked around Scottsburg and Salem--"

"Sorry. We don't get many strangers around here."

"Scotty, you've got a smile that lights up a room, anybody ever tell you that?" Dean asks and Scotty just stares at him.

"He's not even smiling." Ophelia says, confused.

"Never mind." Dean says. "See you around." He grabs Ophelia's hand, dragging her back to the car.

+++

Sam and Natalie are standing on the side of the road and Sam is still holding Libby and she's playing with the ends of Sam's hair.

"Hey." Sam calls to a young blonde woman sitting on the ground, her back to them. He walks up, putting a hand on her shoulder which makes her jump. She rips her headphones out.

"You scared the hell outta me." She says.

"I'm sorry." Sam says. "I just thought you might need some help."

"No, I'm good, thanks." She says.

"Uh, so where you headed?"

"No offense, but no way I'm telling you."

"Why not?"

"You could be some kind of freak. I mean, you are hitchhiking."

"Well, so are you." Sam counters and the woman laughs. A horn honks and they turn to see a van that pulls over.

"Need a ride?" The man driving asks.

"Yeah." The three adults answer.

"Just those two." The man nods between the two women. "I guess her, too." He nods to Libby. Sam's grip tightens on his daughter as Natalie's glare hardens on the man.

"Not happening." Sam says.

"No, thanks." Natalie mumbles, stepping behind Sam when she notices the guy checking her out.

The woman gets her stuff and gets in the van.

"You trust shady van guy and not the guy with a kid?" Sam asks.

"Shady pedophile, you mean?" Natalie quietly asks.

"Definitely." The woman says and the man drives off.

+++

"You sure they didn't stop for gas or something?" Dean asks.

"Nope, don't remember 'em. You said they were friends of yours?" Harley asks.

"That's right." Dean says.

"Did the guy have a tattoo?" Emily asks, walking down the stairs.

"Yes, he did." Dean nods. Emily walks over, looking at the flyers.

"They were just married." Emily reminds.

"You're right." Harvey remembers. "They did stop for gas. Weren't here more than ten minutes."

"You remember anything else?" Dean asks.

"I told 'em how to get back to the interstate. They left town." Harley says.

"Could you point me in that same direction?" Dean asks.

"Sure." Harley nods.

~ ~ ~

Dean and Ophelia get back in the Impala.

"The two old people are lying." Ophelia tells him.

"Oh, yeah? How do you know?" Dean asks.

"Uh..." Ophelia freezes, remembering that she hasn't told her dad anything. "They're just really bad liars." She says, nervously waiting for her dad's reaction. She relaxes when all he does is nod and shrug.

~ ~ ~

Dean is driving, following the instructions Harley gave him when he hears the EMF reader start to go off. He tries to reach back and get it without crashing, but.

"Baby, can you get the EMF?" Dean asks. Ophelia takes the EMF reader out of her dad's bag and hands it to him. Dean pulls over by an orchard, glancing between the orchard and the reader.

"Okay, sweetheart. Little walking trip." Dean says, getting out of the car. He opens her door, waiting for her to get out.

"I don't wanna walk." Ophelia whines.

Dean rolls his eyes, but picks her up and shuts the door, carrying her into the orchard.

"What's got you all pouty?" Dean asks.

"I want Aunt Natty. And Uncle Sammy and Libby." Ophelia says.

"Yeah, I know. I want them, too. We'll see 'em again, I promise." Dean assures. "Come on, let's just pretend we're in Scooby-Doo with this creepy orchard, okay?" He tells her. Ophelia sighs, but nods.

"I'm not moving till you smile." Dean says. Ophelia forces a smile that is obviously fake. "That ain't cuttin' it, sweetheart." Dean tickles her and Ophelia shrieks and giggles, squirming in her dad's arms.

"There we go." Dean smiles, kissing her on the cheek. Dean walks through the orchard, Ophelia leaning closer to him the longer they're in it.

Dean looks around, spotting a scarecrow and he walks over to it.

"Dude, you fugly." Dean says.

"He's what?" Ophelia asks in confusion.

"Explain it later." Dean says.

Dean notices a sickle in the scarecrow's hand and a design on its arm. He puts Ophelia down.

"No, daddy." The girl whines.

"It's okay, baby. It's just for a minute." Dean tells her. He grabs a ladder and puts it in front of the scarecrow and he climbs it so he's face to face with it.

Dean gets a better look at the design on his arm, it resembling the tattoo of the guy from the latest missing couple. He pulls out the guy's flyer, matching the tattoo on him to the scarecrow, realizing they're exactly the same.

"Nice tat." Dean comments.

+++

Dean pulls up to the gas station and gets out, Emily standing by the gas pumps.

"You're back." She comments.

"Never left." Dean says.

"Still looking for your friends?" Emily asks and Dean nods.

"You mind fillin' her up there, Emily?" Dean asks, seeing her necklace that has her name. She grabs a pump and starts filling the Impala's tank up. "So, you grew up here?"

"I came here when I was thirteen." Emily informs. "I lost my parents. Car accident. My aunt and uncle took me in."

"They're nice people." Dean comments.

"Everybody's nice here."

"So, what, it's the, uh, perfect little town?"

"So we stepped into a creepy Hallmark movie?" Ophelia quietly asks herself.

"Well, you know, it's the boonies. But I love it. I mean, the towns around us, people are losing their homes, their farms. But here, it's almost like we're blessed." Emily says.

"Hey, you been out to the orchard? You seen that scarecrow?" Dean asks.

"Yeah, it creeps me out." Emily says making Dean laugh.

"Whose is it?" Dean asks.

"I don't know. It's just always been there." Emily says.

"That your aunt and uncle's?" Dean asks, nodding to a red van.

"Customer. Had some car troubles." Emily informs.

"It's not a couple, is it? A guy and a girl?" Dean asks and Emily nods.

+++

The twins and Libby are at the bus station and talking to the clerk.

"Sorry, the Sacramento bus doesn't run again till tomorrow." She says. "Uh, 5:05 PM."

"Tomorrow? There's got to be another way." Sam says.

"Well, there is. Buy a car." The woman says. Natalie rolls her eyes, her and Sam walking away.

Sam takes his phone out and finds Dean's contact, debating on calling him.

"Hey." The twins hear making them look around and find the blonde from the side of the road earlier.

"Hey." Sam says.

"You two again." The woman says.

"What happened to your ride?" Sam asks.

"You were right. That guy was shady. He was all hands. I cut him loose." She explains. "What's the matter?"

"Just trying to get to California." Sam says.

"No way." The woman says in shock.

"Yeah." Sam mumbles.

"Me too." She says, standing up and walking over to the three. "You know, the next bus isn't until tomorrow."

"Yeah. Yeah, that's the problem." Sam says.

"Why? What's in Cali that's so important?" The woman asks.

"Just something I've been looking for. For a long time." Sam says.

"Something I wanna be done with." Natalie states.

"Well, then I'm sure it can wait one more day, right?" She says and Sam laughs. She holds her hand out and Sam shakes it. "I'm Meg."

"Sam." He introduces. "Uh, this is Libby. And Natalie." The woman forces a small smile and Libby lays her head on her dad's shoulder.

+++

Dean and Ophelia walk into the diner and Scotty is serving the couple that owns the red van.

"Oh, hey, Scotty. Can I get a coffee, black? And a, uh, hot chocolate?" He asks, pointing to Ophelia for the hot chocolate. Scotty walks away. "Oh, and two slices of that pie, too, while you're at it."

Dean pulls out a chair for Ophelia and she sits down, Dean sitting next to her.

"How ya doin'?" Dean asks the couple who smile at him. "Just passing through?"

"Road trip." The woman informs.

"Hm. Yeah, us too." Dean says, tapping Ophelia's nose making her scrunch it up.

"I'm sure these people want to eat in peace." Scotty says, refilling the couple's drinks.

"Just a little friendly conversation." Dean says and Scotty walks away. "Oh, and that coffee and hot chocolate, too, man. Thanks."

"And the pie." Ophelia adds.

"Right, yeah. Pie." Dean agrees before he turns back to the couple. "So, what brings you to town?"

"We just stopped for gas. And, uh, the guy at the gas station saved our lives." The woman says.

"Is that right?" Dean asks.

"Yeah, one of our brake lines was leaking. We had no idea. He was fixing it for us." The man says.

"Nice people." Dean mumbles.

"Yeah." The man nods.

"So, how long till you're up and runnin'?" Dean asks.

"Sundown." The man informs.

"Really? To fix a brake line?" Dean asks and the man nods. "I mean, you know, I know a thing or two about cars. I could probably have you up and running in about an hour. I wouldn't charge you anything."

"You know, thanks a lot, but I think we'd rather have a mechanic do it." The woman says.

"Sure. I know." Dean says. "You know, it's just that these roads. They're not real safe at night."

"I'm sorry?" The woman asks.

"I know it sounds strange, but, uh... you might be in danger." Dean says.

"Look, we're trying to eat, okay?" The man says, getting annoyed.

"Yeah. You know, my brother could give you this puppy dog look, and you'd just buy right into it. Hell, my whole family could do it." He chuckles. The bell to the door jingles and Ophelia looks over to see a cop walk in.

"Uh... daddy?" She nervously mumbles, tugging on his jacket sleeve.

"Thanks for coming, sheriff." Scotty says, walking over. He whispers something to the sheriff and they both glance to Dean before the sheriff walks over.

"I'd like a word, please." The sheriff tells him.

"Come on. I'm having a bad day already." Dean says.

"You know what would make it worse?" The sheriff asks. "And pretty bad for the kid, too."

Dean drives out of town, the sheriff following to make sure he leaves.

+++

Dean managed to save the couple last night and now he's driving to the local college while on the phone with Sam.

Sam is in the bus station and Libby is asleep on his lap and Natalie is next to him, using her bag as a pillow and also asleep.

"The scarecrow climbed off its cross?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, I'm tellin' ya. Burkittsville, Indiana. Fun town." Dean says sarcastically.

"It didn't kill the couple, did it?" Sam asks.

"No. I can cope without you, you know." Dean says.

"So, something must be animating it -- a spirit." Sam says.

"No, it's more than a spirit. It's a God. A Pagan God, anyway."

"What makes you say that?"

"The annual cycle of its killings. And the fact that the victims are always a man and a woman. Like some kind of fertility rite. And you should see the locals. The way they treated this couple. Fattening 'em up like a Christmas turkey."

"The last meal. Given to sacrificial victims."

"Yeah, I'm thinking a ritual sacrifice to appease some Pagan god."

"So, a god possesses the scarecrow..."

"And the scarecrow takes its sacrifice. And for another year, the crops won't wilt, and disease won't spread."

"Do you know which god you're dealing with?"

"No, not yet."

"Well, you figure out what it is, you can figure out a way to kill it."

"I know. I'm actually on my way to a local community college. I've got an appointment with a professor. You know, since I don't have my trusty sidekick geek boy to do all the research. Or his somewhat geek girl twin."

"She's not that geeky. Not unless it's jewelry making or movies." Sam comments. "You know, if you're hinting you need my help, just ask."

"I'm not hinting anything. Actually, uh... I want you to know... I mean, don't think--"

"Yeah. I'm sorry, too." Sam gets what he's trying to say.

"Sam. You were right. You gotta do your own thing. You gotta live your own life." Dean says.

"Are you serious?" Sam asks.

"You've always known what you want. And you go after it. You stand up to dad. And you always have. Both you and Natty have always done that. Hell, I wish I--" Dean cuts himself off. "Anyway... I admire that about you. I'm proud of you, Sammy."

"I don't even know what to say."

"Say you'll take care of yourself. You and Nat take care of each other. And my second favorite munchkin." Dean says making Sam softly laugh.

"I will." Sam says.

"Call me when you find dad." Dean says.

"Okay." Sam mumbles.

"I wanna talk to Sammy." Ophelia states, making a grabby hand for the phone.

"Yep." Dean hands her the phone.

"Uncle Sammy?" Ophelia asks.

"Hey, Ophi." Sam softly greets.

"You guys are all coming back, right?" Ophelia asks.

"Yeah. Yeah, we'll see you and your dad again. Promise." Sam assures.

"Can I talk to Libby?" Ophelia asks.

"No, sweetie, sorry. She's asleep." Sam tells her.

"What about Aunt Natty?" Ophelia asks.

"Also asleep." Sam informs making the young girl huff.

"Well, I miss all of three of you." Ophelia asks.

"Yeah, honey, we miss you, too." Sam says.

"Do you guys miss daddy, too?" Ophelia asks.

"Not as much as we miss you. You're much cooler." Sam says making Ophelia giggle.

Natalie stirs, waking up a little.

"Oh, Aunt Natty's up." Sam gives the phone to Natalie.

"Hmm? What? Hello?" Natalie puts the phone to her ear.

"Aunt Natty!" Ophelia's excited voice comes through.

"Oh, hey, sweet girl. How you doing?" Natalie asks.

"I miss you." Ophelia tells her.

"Yeah, I miss you, too." Natalie yawns.

"When are you coming back?" Ophelia asks.

"I don't know yet, baby. But I'll see you soon." Natalie tells her.

"Okay. Do you wanna talk to daddy?" Ophelia asks.

"Yeah, right." Dean quietly scoffs.

"Sure." Natalie says.

"Here." Ophelia holds the phone out to Dean.

"Wha-- wait, seriously?" He asks and Ophelia nods. Dean takes the phone, putting it to his ear. "Is this some sort of prank?"

"Oh, Dean, even in the early hours, you're still so fucking hilarious." Natalie remarks.

"Well, I try my best." Dean smirks and Natalie rolls her eyes.

"Look, Dean, I-I'm sorry... about the-the soldier comment... again." Natalie quietly says.

"No. No, you're right. I'm... I'm pretty wishy washy when it... when it comes to dad and orders and stuff." Dean says. "There's no arguing with that, really. I just... I am. It's hard to... hard to grow out of that mindset."

"I just... I know you hate being called that. And it seems to be my go to whenever I'm mad at you." Natalie says.

"Well, don't worry about it, okay?" Dean tells her.

"Okay." Natalie mumbles.

"Besides, you know that if he ever does anything to you, I'm on your side. You know that, right?" Dean asks.

"Yeah, I know." Natalie softly says, her lips quirking up a bit. "Thanks."

"Yeah." Dean mumbles. "Okay, don't get all sappy, though, please." He whines.

"Fine, then I'm going back to sleep. Doofus." She insults before quickly hanging the phone up before he can call her a name.

Natalie gives the phone back to Sam and she looks over at Meg who is sleeping.

"You know, I don't like her." Natalie says.

"Why?" Sam asks.

"I don't know. I just... I don't trust her. She seems... off." Natalie says.

"Sure you're not just paranoid?" Sam asks.

"I don't know. I just think that you're gonna get close and then she's gonna try to kill you or something." Natalie says.

"Nat..."

"Whatever. But when she stabs you in the back, I get to say "I told you so.""

"Deal."

+++

The townspeople kidnapped Dean and then got Ophelia, locking them in a cellar. The two are in the small area, Ophelia sitting on the floor and Dean is pacing.

They look up when the cellar doors open and Emily being forced in by her aunt and uncle.

"Aunt Stacy. Uncle Harley, please." Emily begs. Ophelia latches onto her dad's leg, hiding behind him nervously.

"Why are you doing this?" Emily cries.

"For the common good." Stacy declares, shutting the cellar door, leaving the three in the dark.

+++

Sam is trying to call Dean and Natalie waits, holding Libby.

"Hey. Our bus came in." Meg says, getting her stuff.

"You better catch it." Sam says, putting his phone up and standing up, getting his and Libby's stuff. "We gotta go."

"Go where?" Meg asks.

"Buckittsville." Sam tells her.

"Sam, wait." Meg calls, getting him to turn to her.

"I've been trying to call my brother for the last three hours. I'm just getting his voicemail." Sam says.

"Well, maybe his phone's turned off." Meg suggests.

"No, that's not like him. Meg, I think he might be in trouble. And if he's in trouble, then our niece probably is, too." Sam says.

"What kind of trouble?" Meg asks.

"I can't really explain right now. I'm sorry, look, I don't want you to miss your bus." Sam says.

"But I don't understand. You're running back to your brother? The guy you ran away from? Why, because he won't pick up his phone? Sam, come with me to California. You, Natalie, your kid."

"We can't. I'm sorry."

"Why not?"

"He's our family."

+++

They're still in the cellar and Dean is trying to break the door open while Emily and Ophelia stand at the bottom.

"I don't understand. They're gonna kill us?" Emily asks.

"Sacrifice us. Which is, I don't know, classier, I guess?" Dean mutters, walking down the stairs to them. Ophelia hugs him, wanting any form of comfort and Dean wraps an arm around her. "You really don't know anything about this, do you?"

"About what? The scarecrow god? I can't believe this." Emily says. Ophelia is able to tell she isn't lying.

"Well, you better start believing, cause I'm gonna need your help." Dean says.

"Okay." Emily nods.

"Now, we can destroy the scarecrow, but we gotta find the tree." Dean says.

"What tree?" Emily asks.

"Maybe you can help me with that. It would be really old. The locals would treat it with a lot of respect, you know, like it was sacred." Dean says.

"There was this one apple tree. The immigrants brought it over with them. They call it the First Tree." Emily says.

"Is it in the orchard?"

"Yeah, but I don't know where."

The cellar door opens and the four elders are there.

"It's time." Stacy announces.

Ophelia's grip on her dad tightens as does his grip on her.

+++

The elders are tying Dean, Ophelia, and Emily up to trees.

"How many people have you killed, sheriff? How much blood is on your hands?" Dean asks.

"We don't kill them." The sheriff says.

"No, but you sure cover up after. I mean, how many cars have you hidden, clothes have you buried?" Dean asks and the sheriff just ignores him. "Why are you sacrificing a little girl, huh? What, you're really heartless enough to do that? She's fucking six, man. Besides, you already have a guy and a girl, you don't need a kid."

"Maybe she can be the pregame to the big meal." Scotty comments. Dean quietly growls as he fights against his restraints.

"Uncle Harley, please." Emily cries.

"I am so sorry, Em. I wish it wasn't you." Harley says.

"Try to understand. It's our responsibility. And there's just no other choice. There's nobody else but you." Stacy says.

"I'm your family." Emily says.

"Sweetheart, that's what sacrifice means. Giving up something you love for the greater good. The town needs to be saved. The good of the many outweighs the good of the one." Stacy says.

The group walk away.

"I hope your apple pie is fucking worth it!" Dean yells after them.

"So, what's the plan?" Emily asks.

"I'm workin' on it." Dean says.

+++

It's nighttime now and they're still tied to the trees.

"You don't have a plan, do you?" Emily asks.

"I'm workin' on it." Dean says again.

"So, in other words, no." Ophelia whines.

"Can you see?" Dean asks Emily.

"What?" Emily asks.

"Is he moving yet?" Dean asks.

"I can't see." Emily says. "Oh, my God." She gasps, seeing a shadow moving around. "Oh, my God!" Dean attempts to break free as Ophelia starts to cry.

"Dean?" They hear Sam call.

"Oh! Oh, I take everything back I said. I'm so happy to see you." Dean says. He looks around, seeing Natalie go to Ophelia's tree. "Oh, my God, Natty! I am thrilled to see you."

"Yay!" Ophelia grins.

"Hey, baby." Natalie softly tells her niece. She quickly unties Ophelia who immediately hugs her aunt, Natalie hugging her back.

"How'd you get here?" Dean asks.

"We, uh... we stole a car." Sam admits, putting Libby down and untying Dean.

"Haha! That's my boy!" Dean grins. "Hey, keep an eye on that scarecrow. He could come alive any minute." Dean says.

"What scarecrow?" The twins ask as Sam picks Libby up. Dean quickly stands up and looks at the scarecrow's post, seeing it gone.

Dean quickly unties Emily before he picks Ophelia up and they break off into a run.

"Alright, now this sacred tree you're talking about--" Sam starts.

"It's the source of its power." Dean says.

"So let's find it and burn it." Sam says.

"Nah, in the morning. Let's just shag ass before Leatherface catches up." Dean says. They reach a clearing and find Harley and Stacy waiting for them. "This way." They start to walk a different way, but realize they're blocked in all directions.

Not liking the way this may go, Sam hides Libby's face in the crook of his neck, keeping his hand on the back of her head so she can't look up.

"Please. Let us go." Emily begs.

"It'll be over quickly, I promise." Harley says.

"Please." Emily cries.

"Emily, you have to let him take you. You have to--" Harley is cut off by the scarecrow's sickle piercing through his stomach.

Emily, Stacy, and Ophelia all scream. Dean hides Ophelia's face in his shoulder, wincing at what she had to just witness.

Emily runs into Dean who wraps his free arm around her. Sam's grip on Libby tightens, able to hear her start to whine and cry.

Stacy continues to scream as the scarecrow takes the sickle out, Harley falling to the ground. The scarecrow wraps his arm around Stacy and sticks the sickle into Harley's leg, dragging them off. The other townspeople quickly run out of the orchard.

"Come on. Let's go, let's go." Dean says, ushering Emily forward, the four adults starting to run. They stop when they hear noises and turn around, but don't find anything.

+++

It's the next morning and they make their way through the orchard to the sacred tree. Sam douses it in gasoline while Dean lights a stick on fire.

"Let me." Emily says, taking the branch from Dean.

"You know the whole town's gonna die." Dean says.

"Good." Emily says. She throws the burning branch onto the tree and they watch it go up in flames.

+++

They're at a bus stop say bye to Emily who is going to Boston. She smiles at Dean who waves back at her and Ophelia also waves at her, getting a wave back.

Emily gets in the bus and the five watch the bus leave.

"Think she's gonna be all right?" Sam asks.

"I hope so." Dean says.

"And the rest of the townspeople, they'll just get away with it?" Sam asks.

"Well, what'll happen to the town will have to be punishment enough." Dean says as they start walking to the Impala. "So, can I drop you guys off somewhere?"

"No, I think you're stuck with us." Sam says and they stop by the car. Ophelia lets out an excited noise, jumping up and down making her aunt and uncle both laugh.

Ophelia tightly hugs Natalie who hugs her back.

"What made you change your mind?" Dean asks, softly smiling at his daughter's excitement.

"I didn't. I still wanna find dad. And you're still a pain in the ass." Sam says and Dean nods. Sam wraps an arm around Ophelia when she hugs him, reaching up to pat Libby's ankle as well.

"Major pain." Natalie agrees.

"But, Jess and Noah and mom -- they're both gone. Dad is God knows where. You, me, Nat, the munchkins. We're all that's left. So, if we're gonna see this through, we're gonna do it together."

"Hold me, Sam. That was beautiful." Dean says, putting his hand on Sam's shoulder. Sam laughs, hitting Dean's arm away.

"You should be kissing our asses, you were dead meat, dude." Sam says.

"Yeah, right. I had a plan. I'd have gotten us out." Dean says.

"Right." Sam mumbles sarcastically, him and Natalie sharing an amused look, as they get in the car.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12K 590 27
[ supernatural -- seasons 1-5 ] Griffin and Tabitha Reinhart Series: Family Ties I DO NOT own Supernatural, any of the show's storylines or character...
17K 354 20
Dean rescues 5 year old Hayden from her abusive family and takes her under his wing. After recruiting his brother, Sam to find their father, the two...
38.2K 1.4K 56
[ supernatural -- seasons 9-11 ] Ophelia and Libby Winchester Series: Comfort Crowd Running Up That Hill Stronger Than Ever I DO NOT own Supernatural...
231K 5.4K 116
[ supernatural -- season 1-5 ] Natalie Winchester Series: Family Line Anti-Hero I DO NOT own Supernatural, any of the show's characters or storylines...