The Wolf Born of Fire (Rhaega...

By SecondsOfReading

Amara Stark wanted a simple life in the North. She wanted the cold, the snow, and to never have to deal with... More

The start
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16 (18+)
Chapter 17

Chapter 1

4.3K 160 14
By SecondsOfReading

The Lady Of Winterfell

"You should have stepped up if you wanted to be in charge, but you didn't, I did."

Amara Stark was born during a terrible storm. Her mother, Lyarra Stark, fell pregnant only three moons after giving birth to her first daughter, Lyanna Stark. Just six days after Lyanna's first name day, when the storm blew into Winterfell and was at it's strongest, Lyarra brought the next girl into the world, screaming and kicking. A true force to be reckoned with, much like the storm raging throughout the land that night.

Amara came out with hair as dark as her fathers Rickard's, but unlike the north man, her skin wasn't as pale as his and her siblings. The young girl had the same color as her mothers--mother, Arya Flint, and because of this, Amara was given the nickname, The Sun Kissed Wolf.

Growing up, she was as pretty and kind as her mother, a wonderfully well behaved girl. But she also had the blood of a wolf in her veins, and two older brothers to cause mischief with. Wherever Brandon and Ned were, Amara wasn't too far behind, trailing after them like a little puppy.

She would convince them to train her with the bow when they would all be done with their lessons, practicing until nightfall and their mother called them in for dinner. Her parents never said anything about the young girl getting trained by her brothers because apart from that, she was so well behaved. She always attended all of her lessons with her septa, never complaining or faltering in her lady duties, she treated everyone with kindness and greeted them with warm smiles. So Rickard and Lyarra allowed the young girl the permission to train in the afternoons when no one was there, without any fuss, there could be no harm in it.

Except for the jealousy it caused her older sister. Lyanna Stark was much different than Amara. She was stubborn and brash. She skipped as many lessons as she could with her septa, denied any of her lady responsibilities, and constantly complained about the unfairness she felt. Rickard and Lyarra were far less lenient with Lyanna than with Amara, for the older girl needed to learn more discipline. Lyanna hated it. Hated how her parents allowed Amara to do things she was reprimanded for, how she was constantly compared to her little sister.

It put a riff in their relationship, one Amara tried and tired to mend, but day after day, Lyanna's stubborn ways would get in the way. Amara of course, always thought eventually they would be like the sisters they were meant to be.

Amara continued to try until the day her mother, Lyarra Stark, died giving birth to the youngest Stark child, Benjen. Amara, who was only 5 years old at the time, was forced to become the Lady of Winterfell, despite Lyanna being older. All of the duty fell onto her shoulders, and Amara handled it wonderfully. She never let the burden or stress show, still allowing her kind nature to guide her. But the burden was heavy and Amara felt the crushing weight of it every morning she woke.

The Death of Lyarra Stark changed all of her children and her husband. Rickard Stark became more stoic, more withdrawn. He still was an amazing Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, but he poured himself into his duties, which didn't leave much room for anything else.

Brandon Stark became more vexed than before. He was quick to anger and very few things could calm him down when he allowed himself to boil over. Eddard became even more quiet, which many would think wasn't possible. He kept to himself a little more than he did before. Lyanna became even more of a brat. She started to protest anything she didn't want to do even more, which was everything she was meant to.

Amara changed to, despite handling everything effortlessly, she still withdrew. The death of her mother and the weight of her burdens, hardened her. She was still kind to everyone, but less social. She was still welcoming, but more protective than ever, not wanting to feel that loss of someone she loves again anytime soon. She was still tender to her siblings, but also more stern, reprimanding them when they step out of line or don't complete their duties.

Her brothers took to her change well, their respect and love for her grew, even when she was getting on to them. They knew that sometimes they stepped out of line and needed that tender scolding of a lady to set them on the right path again, much like their mother used to do. Lyanna on the other hand, pushed back even more. She didn't take kindly to her younger sister lecturing her, causing a many of fights, much like right now.

"I'm serious Lyanna, you need to stop skipping your lessons with the septa, thats the third time this week." Amara sternly said.

Lyanna rolled her eyes, like she normally does in these types of moments, "You are not my mother, you don't get to tell me what I can and can not do."

Amara usually doesn't let the attitude of her sister get to her, but this argument has been fought over and over, "But I do, Lyanna. I am the acting Lady of Winterfell. I am in charge of running this house and that involves telling you to go to your lessons."

"And I am not going to listen to you! Incase you forgot, I am the oldest daughter, not you. I am in charge."

Amara glares at her sister, "You should have stepped up if you wanted to be in charge, but you didn't, I did, Lyanna." She steps closer, nose to nose with the older girl, "Now, you have to suffer the consequences of your immaturity."

"I was a child!"

"So was I, Lyanna! Younger than you, but I stepped up! You don't get to step up now after all these years of standing off to the side and placing everything on me. You can't even act like a proper lady for five minutes, let alone long enough to be the Lady of Winterfell." Amara raises her voice back, something she very rarely does. Out of all her siblings, apart from Ned, she's the least likely to get outwardly angry. That is saved for Brandon and Lyanna, sometimes Benjen, but usually the youngest Stark is more carefree in nature, due mostly to Amara helping raise him.

Before Lyanna can respond back, Rickard Stark, who had been listening to the argument since it began, piped up, drawing the girls to his attention, "She's right, Lyanna. You need to start taking your responsibilities seriously. I better not hear from your sister or the septa of your missed lessons for the next moon, am I clear?"

Lyanna stares at her father,  wanting to argue some more, but the glare on his face has her biting her tongue, "Yes father." Bowing her head and stomping away, leaving Amara with her father.

"How long were you there?" Amara sighs, upset her father could have seen her raise her voice and succumb to her anger.

"The entire time."

Amara glares, though theres no real heat to it, "And you didn't jump in sooner? You know she doesn't listen to me. You could have saved all of us time."

"She will." Her father replies, a small chuckle leaving his lips as he watches his daughter scoff and roll her eyes. He only ever smiles around his children, Amara and Benjen the most, both of their personalities reminding him of his late wife.

"We both know that's not true." Amara shakes her head.

Rickard sighs, "She's always been a hot blooded wolf."

"Wolves are not stubborn like her, their dutiful."

"Aye," Rickard nods at his daughters words, "They are. When did you become so wise?"

"I've always been wise."

That brings a big laugh from Rickard, "Sure, little wolf. Born wise." He stares fondly at the girl before sobering up, "Come, I need to speak some news with Brandon and could use my wise wolf."

Amara stares at her father, studying him. Usually he only asks her into the meetings with him and Brandon is he wants her to keep the oldest Stark boy calm, "Is the news going to cause him to yell?"

Rickard doesn't answer her, instead turning and walking back down the hall where he came from, "So very wise, daughter of mine."

_________

"Father, please! I implore you to reconsider!" Brandon tries, for what seems like the hundredth time, to change his fathers mind at the news he's been given.

Amara sits next to where her brother is standing, facing their father. She hasn't said anything yet, not really knowing what to say. She's not shocked by the news, but slightly surprised. Brandon has been old enough to marry for while, and should have truly done so years ago, but their father wanted him to mature just a little more. The news of who he is to marry is what is jarring, not the marriage itself.

Truthfully, all of his children, apart from maybe Benjen who is a hair too young still, are ready to be married. Should be married.

Rickard has always been very fair and loving to his children, wanting only what is best for them. Allowing them leniencies not so freely given to other noble children. But he is older now and so are they, it is time for these duties to come forth.

"You are the heir to Winterfell, you have known you are soon to marry for years now."

"But to a southerner? How could some southern woman run a northern house." Brandon argues, disgust written on his face, "Nay, the northern house. Surly there is a more suitable match from here in the north."

"The betrothal has already been negotiated, it is not up for debate." Rickard's statement is firm, making his sons frown even more forlorn. "You are all children grown, it is time. I assure you, the matches I made are well thought out. I would not marry my children off to just anyone."

"Matches?" Brandon glances at Amara who is as confused as he is. They believed only one betrothal was made, Brandon's. The oldest Stark doesn't want to think of who his youngest sister may be betrothed to. He's always been protective of his siblings, especially of his sisters. It comes with his overbearing personality. He doesn't care who it is they marry one day, no one will be good enough.

"Yes, matches." Rickard nods, looking between his children before signing, "I have betrothed you to Catlynn Tully, as you know," He looks to Brandon who nods, before continuing, albeit reluctantly, "And— I've betrothed your sister to Lord Robert Baratheon."

Amara's stomach sinks at her fathers words. Yes, she is old enough to marry, but she thought she would still have some time, thought she would at least get the opportunity to meet them before anything official was in play. Maybe even have the opportunity to put a name in herself, though she doesn't have any in mind.

Brandon scoffs, "You think Amara and Robert Baratheon are a good match?"

"Amara—" Your fathers eyebrows furrow in confusion before he shakes his head, "— No, not Amara. Lyanna."

Brandon sits back down in his chair at the name that leaves his fathers mouth. It's one thing to think Amara is marrying someone, but Lyanna is an entirely different story.

Brandon loved both his sisters dearly, but they are very different. Amara handles everything with grace, while Lyanna has probably never even heard of the word. Despite not wanting either of his sisters to be married off, he's always known whereever Amara goes, she can handle it. He knows she will be okay. Lyanna, he's never had much faith in however. She's far too much like him, which isn't a compliment for anyone, let alone a Lady.

"She'll never agree." Amara states, all three of them knowing her words ring true. Amara must admit that she feels immense relief at knowing she won't have to marry the Baratheon man, having heard from Neds stories how he is, regardless of him still being a good Lord. She knows love is not always a guarantee in marriage, but she would at least like a friendship, and she doesn't think she could become friends with anyone that enjoys the pastimes of getting drunk on wine and fucking multiple whores every night.

She hopes whoever she marries will at least have the decency to hide his less than favorable habits.

Amara's relief however is quickly followed by guilt, knowing Lyanna will have to suffer the fate instead. If the North survives that long that is, for surely once Lyanna hears of this news, no one in the realm will be safe from her anger.

"She does not have a choice." Rickard demands, "It is already decided. It is time for your sister to submit to her duties and be a proper Lady. Brandon and Lyanna will marry first and then you and Ned will be married. Benjen in a couple years time, if he hasn't ran off to take the black before then."

Both Stark children in the room are silent, letting their fathers words sink in. Amara knows he's right, they should marry. They are considered some of the older eligible noble children. With the order her father has come up with, Amara will still be around to help Brandon's future wife learn how to run the house before she gets married off.

Brandon is the one to break the silence, a small smirk on his lips, "Can I be there when you tell her?"

Amara looks over at her brother, slapping the back of his head before scolding him, "Brandon, that is not nice."

"What? I just want to see the look on her face." Brandon defends himself, rubbing the back of his head where her hand hit.

Rickard looks at his son unamused, "No, you can not. I will tell her soon, so neither of you will let the word out, is that understood?"

"Yes father." Both children agree.

"Good." Rickard nods once, changing the subject, "Now I've also called you both in here for another news. Lord Whent has invited us along for a tourney at Harrenhal for his daughters name day celebration. Many houses will be attending. You will be leaving in a fortnights time and be in Harrenhal for seven days."

"Are you not coming with us?" Amara questions, noting how he said you and not we.

"No." Rickard shakes his head, "A stark must always be present in Winterfell. You all will go alone, Brandon will take my place as head of House Stark while there, and he, along with Lyanna, will also meet with their betrothed."

Both children nod at the orders. Rickard sends a small, barley noticeable smile to his daughter, dismissing her, "Very well. You may leave us Amara, for me and Brandon have a few more things to discuss and you have some duties to oversee about the upcoming travel."

Amara looks to Brandon, making sure he is alright, before standing and bowing her head to her father and brother, making her leave.

As she walks down the hall, she can't help but feel a bubbling of anxiety about the upcoming trip.

Somethings not right, yet nothing is amiss.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

90.1K 1.8K 22
Formerly known as: Game of Dragons Game of Thrones AU {set before, during, and after Roberts Rebellion} Amara Lannister is the Eldest daughter of Lor...
42.5K 1.5K 18
𝐉𝐀𝐂𝐀𝐄𝐑𝐘𝐒 𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐀𝐑𝐘𝐄𝐍 descendant of Rhaenyra Targaryen, was adopted by Lord Ned Stark and brought to Winterfell. As the years went by...
88.9K 3.2K 180
Have you ever wondered what might happen if there was a change in the story? Imagine a scenario where some of the people who had died were still aliv...
23.9K 758 32
You became an orphan, niece to the King, you soon find yourself living in the Red Keep, and surrounded with more vipers than dragons. So he betrothed...