The First Signs of a Storm...

By HRDerriman

Set in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Book 1 in the Custos Terrae Series The destruction of war left li... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1: A Most Sacred Duty
Chapter 2: An Anxious Encounter
Chapter 3: Love and Hate
Chapter 4: Confronting Fears
Chapter 5: Dinner with the Foreigner
Chapter 6: Head-Spinning Complication
Chapter 7: Hundreds of Judgemental Eyes
Chapter 8: Is It Bedtime Yet?
Chapter 9: House of Promiscuity
Chapter 10: Headaches, Hangovers and Hot Flushes
Chapter 11: Something Funny
Chapter 12: Ended the War for Whom?
Chapter 13: Awesome Juvenile
Chapter 14: Everything at Once
Chapter 15: Dance on the Last Nerve
Chapter 16: BREAKING NEWS!
Chapter 18: Little Dove
Chapter 19: Indisposed
Chapter 20: Never Go Anywhere Unprepared
Chapter 21: The Madness of Memory
Chapter 22: What is a BlueBlood?
Chapter 23: Poorly Penned
Chapter 24: Slytherin Indeed
Chapter 25: Manifested
Chapter 26: Cheering for the Stoners?
Chapter 27: An Angel, fallen into Darkness
Chapter 28: Let the Fire Rain Down
Chapter 29: Enchanting
Chapter 30: Thirty Points to Slytherin
Chapter 31: Quiet Contemplation
Chapter 32: Will You Wear a Crown, Your Grace?
Chapter 33: Follow the Magic
Chapter 34: Not a Villain
Chapter 35: Big, Mighty Alpha
Chapter 36: My Dearest Daughter
Chapter 37: Oath of Old
Chapter 38: Proper Little Fighter
Chapter 39: Signed in Blood
Chapter 40: The First Signs of a Storm
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 17: Escape the Truth

11 4 0
By HRDerriman

Storm

"I don't want to know." Said Storm carefully, looking at their faces which were full of intrigue, yet respectful of whatever had been written. Liberty opened her mouth, but Storm waved her off. "I appreciate the heads up, but I really don't want you to tell me." Storm heaved out a sign, scraping her chocolate locks into a high ponytail.
Storm glanced at Evan, who nodded, but it was Theo who spoke. "Fine, we won't tell you anything. But we'll help clarify things if anyone else does. It - er - is all anyone can talk about."
Storm was quickly getting a headache. Just when she thoughts things might actually pass smoothly, another spanner was thrown into the works.
But the looks they were giving her sent her into a head spin. How could she refuse to read the paper, when everyone else clearly knew more than she did. Was it time? Was she ready for that, truly? Now that Lexi's choice tell sit her down when she came Of-Age had been made for her - three months premature - Storm felt as if she would be betraying Lexi if she read that damn paper.
Storm glanced at her bag by her feet, where letters and other morsels of information sat, waiting to be opened. But could she bring herself to do it?
No - not while she was in company. She would wait until her Free Period that afternoon before opening Pandora's box.

     "Miss Black," the drawl of Professor Snape came from the doorway of the classroom, as he stepped aside to let Roman and Lucian into the room, the two of them meeting Storm's eye before quickly looking away. "You are to go to Professor Dumbledore's office."
     Storm cringed. There was only one reason the Headmaster would want to see her. And she had no intention of talking about Hogwarts' juiciest piece of gossip.
     "Forgive me, Professor Snape." Said Storm politely, straightening in her chair. "But I have nothing to say to Professor Dumbledore right now - I am here for Potions, sir." Storm felt eyes on her, but they did not make her cower. No, she felt empowered by it. So what if they talked about her? They'd done so since she'd arrived. That hadn't changed. But why couldn't she change. Nothing had gone as Storm had hoped, yet she hadn't broke down, she hadn't lost control and - most importantly - she hadn't died. Which in her book, was always a bonus.
     Professor Snape all but floated into the room, to his desk. "There is a few things he must discuss with you." His tone was less demanding, less cold. And Storm got the feeling that maybe, he was warming to her.
Hopefully.
     Storm stole a glance at Liberty, who was watching her closely. "I know what the topic of conversation is today, sir. And, anyone who knows is welcome to speak of it. But as for myself, sir, the article could be a Quidditch schedule for all I know. I have no desire to read it, either. So please, Professor. May I stay for your lesson?" There was a subtle pea behind her question, which proved to Storm herself that she was not ready to face the truth just yet. Not nearly settled enough in herself to open that can of Flobberworms.
     Snape paused for a moment. "Very well." He caught Storm's eye as he looked up from his desk and she smiled in thanks to him, but he hardly took notice. A feat which she welcomed - at least he couldn't care less about her.

*

The first week Storm had spent at Hogwarts, was tough. But, after the delivery of post that Monday morning, Storm found it easier to navigate the castle's gossip reel. She had fallen into a comfortable routine - although avoiding everyone that was not Liberty, Evan, Theo and a select few Gryffindors she had been introduced to.
     She had been honoured with tutoring a Third Year called Neville Longbottom on Wednesday and Thursday evenings, where she was thankful for the alone time with a boy who was one of the sweetest people she'd ever met, who himself, had faced his Boggart for the first time during his first lesson.

     Storm had made it abundantly clear to whoever approached her not to speak of what they had read. And Storm managed to escape the truth far longer than she'd thought possible.
But, as September turned into late October and Halloween was a couple of days away, Storm was once again confronted with the looming truth she was desperate to ignore for as long as possible.

It was Friday, 29th of October and Storm was heading to the Great Hall for dinner with Liberty, who had quickly become the closest thing Storm had ever had, to a best friend. Excluding Lexi of course, but Lexi was different.
"Have you heard?" Said Liberty as the two of them walked, arm in arm across the Entrance Hall. Storm looked up, waiting for her to continue. "Gryffindor are playing Hufflepuff next week in the first match of the year." Liberty rolled her eyes, throwing a dark look to a blonde fourth year boy, whose arm was in a thick cast. "Malfoy's a drama Queen. Serves him right for insulting a Hippogriff."
Storm had yet to speak with her other cousin, Draco Malfoy, whose upbringing greatly paralleled that of Storm and Liberty's, or so Storm had heard.
Storm noticed Liberty's suggestive look. "I'm sorry, but no!" She exclaimed in exasperation. "I don't play. And certainly not as a Seeker."
Liberty huffed, as they entered the Great Hall. "Fine, but at least cheer on Gryffindor to piss Flint off. If he doesn't like it, we can tell him he should've playing the Lions instead of being a cowardly little bitch."
Storm laughed as she passed Fred and George. "Sure." She shrugged, as she stopped for the pair of them by the ginger haired wizards. "How's it looking against Hufflepuff, Oliver?" She called over the rowdy group. "Shame my first game won't be the derby. I was actually looking forward to it."
Oliver Wood's face - along with everyone else - contorted in confusion. "Derby?" He replied, dumbfounded.
"Two rivals playing." Came the bouncy tone of Lennox, joining them with Archie at her side. "Like United versus Everton, or Spurs versus Arsenal. Celtic and Rangers." It seemed as if only Storm understood what she was talking about, as the conversation turned to the next day.
"So, Hogsmeade." Grinned Angelina excitedly. "Fancy a trip to Honeydukes, Fred, George?"
Storm had no idea what they were on about and bid goodbye with a promise to see the twins later (she was yet to accept their invitation for their secret meeting). Though, her own promises to go to the Library had still not come to pass.
"Hogsmeade?" She blurted, looking to Liberty for clarification as they joined Evan and Theo at the end of the Slytherin table, the two in a heated discussion about something.
"Third years and up get to visit every so often. Do a bit of shopping, go to the pub. You up for it? I'm sure we can ditch these two before they get too wasted."
Storm was taken aback by the invite, still trying to gauge whether or not the three were considered mutual friends.
Finally, she nodded. "If it's an excuse to wear something besides uniform, then I'm in. But I am not levitating either of you back to the common room." She jerked her finger at the two wizards, conversation over, noticing that Evan looked a bit strained, like he was in some kind of pain (as he had looked for many weeks). Something was wrong. She was sure of it. But she did not want to intrude on his privacy.
"No promises." Replied Theo, "not if Roman's party is any good."
"Party?" Interjected Storm with piqued interest, ignoring the name of the host at the sound of doing something that wasn't homework. Despite her deep love of learning, being cooped up in such a large castle was making her restless. She was used to fast-paced life, not monotonous, mind-numbing motions.
"I am in!" She said before Evan could confirm, surprising the three of them, who was under the impression that she was a prude who preferred to sit alone and read. They had told her so themselves during an evening of Exploding Snap and a harmless game of truths, where she'd opened up slightly to the three of them, although not as much as they'd have liked.
"You are?!" All of them spoke in unison as Liberty squealed excitedly.
"Yes! Now you can see how we really do things here. So, no backing out and no bailing early. You agreed to this." She pointed her finger threateningly at Storm. "And you still owe whoever it was - a kiss from the first night back."
"You're just making it sound like a bad idea-"
"No!" Liberty said firmly. "No. Backing. Out." And with that, she pulled Storm roughly by the arm, up of her seat. "Fuck dinner. You need to plan your outfit. I am not letting you get out of this easily. Let's go."

-

"You're just taking all the fun out of it." Muttered Storm darkly under her breath as Liberty dug through Storm's wardrobe of clothes, throwing garments all over the place, thrusting choices at Storm. "I am able to dress myself, you know-"
"Shut up." Retorted Liberty, her head popping out from behind the wardrobe door as Storm, who was sat on her bed, crossed her arms over her chest. "Stop being such a scaredy cat. There's more to Hogwarts than books and cauldrons. Now get up and try this on. I bet it'll turn a few heads." Liberty held up a lacy black mini dress that Storm hadn't realised she'd packed. It was way too revealing. Storm knew it even before she bought it, but she couldn't deny how good she looked in it.
Storm couldn't argue with Liberty. She had learned that Liberty was stubborn and would scarcely take no for an answer. So she took the dress and undressed out of her uniform, throwing them in a pile in the corner, pulling the dress over her head, smoothing it over the top of her thighs.
"Erm." Liberty's nose was screwed up when Storm caught her staring, before the witch cleared her throat and whipped around on her heel, her back now to Storm.
Storm smirked, trying not to laugh. "Don't be so embarrassed, Lib." She said, slipping on the red soles heels that had been picked out for her. "Even I can acknowledge good looks when I see them. Even if it is my cousin." Storm broached the subject for the first time, unable to keep it quiet any longer. But she did not know how Liberty would react.
"I'm going to gloss over the first bit - you know? But - I thought you didn't read the article at the beginning of the year?" Storm sniggered at Liberty's still visible back, slinking out of the outfit and replacing it with a blue silk nightdress and matching gown.
"You can turn around now." Storm said, sitting cross legged on her bed. "And I haven't read it. But Lexi told me before I came here. I know Dolohov is my Great Uncle." Storm leaned over to grab a bottle of Butterbeer from her depleting stock in her cupboard.

Liberty sat on the floor in the middle of the room, sparking a cigarette with the end of her wand. "All a bit messed up, isn't it?" She said finally, crossing her ankles with her legs outstretched on the carpet, releasing a lungful of smoke into the enclosed room. "Still, welcome to the family." She clucked her tongue against the roof of her mouth, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "I must tell you now - I'm the black sheep, so if you want, you can still run."
Storm lay back against her pillows, letting out an amused snigger. "I never run unless I'm being chased." She flipped her arms over the sides of her bed. "But yeah, it is all a bit much. Is it always like that out there?" Storm jerked her thumb towards the door, gesturing to the entire castle.
"Unfortunately." Tutted Liberty, getting to her feet and moving to her own bed, flicked the cigarette butt into a metal bin on her side of the room. "Don't take any notice. Rita Skeeter has the power to stir the cauldron. If you ever have the misfortune of meeting her, don't." Storm chuckled looking up, but Liberty looked deadly serious. "She twists everything."
"Thanks for the heads up. But I won't be talking to any journalists. Bunch of rabble rousers if you ask me." Storm's eyes found the stack of letters on her desk, ones she's refused to open over the course of the last month or so. She ignored everything that wasn't school and her roommate and her friends. She'd declined Dumbledore's insistent requests to see her, muttering excuses at any given time it was brought up.
The truth was, that Storm had finally come to enjoy school at Hogwarts. It was a vast contrast to any of the others she'd been to, more rounded, and in depth learning. Most of the time, she'd learned more from books than in lesson. But here, it was refreshing to have the freedoms of coming and going as she pleased, unlike Durmstrang, that was almost painfully regimental.
And, having gotten to a place where she was comfortable with what she was doing and who she was talking to, Storm didn't want to undo everything she'd done. But the more time that passed, the harder it became for her to escape it. But she still didn't feel ready. She wanted to respect her late mothers wishes and hold off until Christmas.

"Can I ask you something?" Liberty's question pulled Storm from her thoughts. Storm heard the change in tone and she sat upright, taking a long glug of Butterbeer, offering the bottle to her cousin.
"Yeah?"
Liberty suddenly looked bashful and somewhat unsure of herself, which Storm had never seen in her before. "Do you remember your parents?"
A dark aura fell around them, even in the bright candlelight of the dormitory and Storm was struck by her question. A question which Storm has never been asked.
Storm struggled to find the right words, deciding that no was simply too short an answer. "I don't." She said slowly, swinging her legs to dangle over the side of the bed, facing Liberty directly. "But I wish I did. Because the very little I know of them, are all what I've been told. It'd be nice to have something to go on. I mean, I think I was 4 when I left-"
"5." Said Liberty, correcting her, before cringing. "Sorry. But I know what you mean. My mother at least. I don't think I'd like to remember anything about my father. Who - may I add - is worshipped in my house. My grandmother is 'so proud' of her 'darling' sons for being dedicated to their beliefs." Storm felt for Liberty, unable to imagine having to be raised with the crimes of the war hanging over her head like a shrine.
But Storm laughed. "See? It's stupid really, that I haven't opened myself up to it all. How can I sit here and complain, when I haven't had it bad at all." Storm sent a sympathetic smile to her housemate. "I'm sorry." And she meant it. And Liberty knew it too because she nodded shortly as Storm continued.
"But, all that, it's from a life I don't remember. I think I'd charge headfirst into the flames if I did though. At least I'd be able to trust my own memories. But I'm completely blind." A weight lifted from Storm's shoulders as she let her feelings known. And Liberty listened with a kind expression.
"The way I see it," said Liberty thoughtfully, "is that you not reading the papers, is just giving someone else control of the narrative. And it happens to be the Prophet." Liberty sneered at the mention of the newspaper. "And the Prophet is notorious for being the easy to manipulate. The sooner you come to terms with it all, the sooner you'll be able to get back to being Hogwarts' newest teachers pet."
"Hey!" Said Storm, offended. But Liberty had a point. She just needed to do things, her way. "Fine." She hung her head in defeat. "But I'll do it on Sunday. Ignorance is bliss if you want me to - enjoy - this party."
Liberty cheered, the dark mood lifting. "You will. Well," she paused, smirking, "that's if you like Truth or Dare."
The two witches burst into giggles at the suggestive look Liberty gave Storm, the pair of them enjoying the quiet company on a Friday evening, staying up until very early hours, sharing stories of their favourite and funniest school moments.
Storm was sure the visit to Hogsmeade would be just as enjoyable.
Or not.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

932 37 26
**This is a slow burn** We're all running from something and we all have secrets, but what happens when the past catches up to you? Juniper Bane is...
171 63 24
Set in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Book 2 in the Custos Terrae Series The morning turned to afternoon. And afternoon to evening, the highest...
188K 5.7K 32
~ Year two ~ Warning; this is the second book in a series!!! This also will journey through all of the books / movies so if you want a quick read, o...
531 39 3
Forget. Don't name. Move on. ( The Dark Lord is gone! The war is over! Come out and rejoice!) 1981. The First Wizarding War had come to its end. He...