Tragedy of Love

De imagin3_this

In "Tragedy of Love," Denise's world shatters when she uncovers years of betrayal in her marriage to Preston... Mai multe

Turbulent Emotions
The Tipping Point
Fractured Spaces
A New Beginning
Echoes of Deception

Entangled Hearts and Broken Trust

11K 125 9
De imagin3_this

Denise's POV

I have been married to Preston for six years, and he's known me for ten. He's been cheating for God knows how long, but somehow, I still love him. I know I deserve better. I tried to get a divorce, but he won't sign the damn papers. Why won't he? He never says, just refuses. Even though I'd love to have my husband back, I can't trust him anymore. I wonder if giving him one last chance would change anything or just finish breaking my heart.

My thoughts were interrupted by the loud ring of the house phone. I didn't recognize the number, so I answered quickly.

**On the phone**

"Hello?" I said."Hey Denise, how are you, sweetheart?" Chrissy's familiar voice asked.
I was surprised to hear my mother-in-law's voice since I hadn't heard from her in a very long time. "I'm doing good, Mrs. Williams," I replied.

"Now, Denise, what did I tell you about calling me that? You know you can call me Chrissy."
"Oh, I'm sorry, Chrissy. Won't happen again," I assured her. "Well, now that's out of the way. Where is Preston?" she inquired.

I rolled my eyes at the sound of his name. "He's, um..." I scratched my head, having no clue where he was. "He's in the shower," I lied.

"Ok," Chrissy responded. "Do you want me to get him?" I offered."No, hon, that's fine. I wanted to speak to you anyway."

"Alright, about what?" I asked, curious. "I wanted to know if you and Preston are coming for Thanksgiving? I would hope so since you all haven't come to any for the last four years," she said with a huge sigh.

Preston and I have avoided family events to dodge questions about our relationship. I would love to go, but I know Preston wouldn't. I don't care how angry he gets; I'm going with or without him. "Of course, we're coming," I said firmly.

She gasped loudly, clearly shocked by my answer. "Really?"

"Yes, Chrissy." "When?" "I don't know, but I'll let you know." "Okay, don't forget. I have to go now, but give Preston a kiss and hug for me."

"No problem. Talk to you later." "Bye, dear," Chrissy said before hanging up.

We both hung up. I drank the last of my coffee, trying to remember the last time I actually gave Preston a hug and kiss.

Moments later, Preston came into the kitchen tightening his tie. "Good morning," he said, barely glancing at me.

"Morning. Your mom called," I informed him. "And...?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

I rolled my eyes at his rudeness, trying my best not to argue. "She wants us to come over for Thanksgiving."

"What did you tell her?" he pressed, his full attention now on me."I'll talk to you about it," I lied, crossing my arms defensively.

"Well, you've talked to me about it, so call her back and tell her we can't come. I'm busy," he instructed, his tone condescending.

"No," I answered as I set my mug in the sink, feeling my anger rise. "What do you mean, 'no'?" he asked, his tone hardening as he narrowed his eyes.

"No, as in I'm not dialing her number. I'm not going to disappoint her," I stated firmly, my voice trembling slightly.

"Disappoint her! There are many other holidays we can see her on," he argued, his face turning red with anger.

He's so damn arrogant. "You said that last year and the year before that and the year before that," I shot back, my voice rising.

"You know I'm extremely busy and so does she," he said, pouring himself some coffee, his hands shaking slightly.

"Or maybe you already made plans with one of your sluts," I snapped, my hands clenched into fists.

He sighed at my comment, rubbing his temples. "I don't have any sluts."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Let me rephrase that. How about... mistresses?" I said sarcastically, my voice dripping with sarcasm.

"I'm not doing this with you," he said, walking out of the kitchen, his shoulders tense.

"Where are you going?" I asked, following closely behind him.

"I'm getting ready to leave for work," he replied, not bothering to look back.

"It's 8:00. You don't have to be at work until 9," I pointed out, my frustration evident.

He suddenly stopped and towered over me. It's crazy how I still haven't gotten used to our height difference. "In case you forgot, let me remind you. I'm the CEO, which means I have to be at work early. Plus, I have things to finish up," he said, his voice low and threatening.

"You don't have to lie, Preston," I countered, standing my ground.

He lifted his hands in frustration. "Fine. Don't believe me. I don't care."

"I'm done with this," I declared, my voice shaking with emotion.

"DENISE!!!" he shouted, his face contorted with anger.

I ignored him as I grabbed my things and drove to work.

Preston's POV

I called out for her, but she completely ignored me. I rubbed my hand over my face in frustration. Then my phone started ringing. "Hey baby, are we still on for breakfast?" Rachael's voice chimed.

"Yeah, of course. See you there," I replied, trying to sound cheerful.

"Okay, bye."

"Bye," I said before hanging up and going to meet Rachael.

Denise's POV

I just arrived at school. After setting my bag down, I prepared myself for the upcoming lecture. I was interrupted by a knock on my classroom door. "Come in!" I called.

The person entered, revealing their identity. It was none other than Madison, my best friend and colleague. "Hey girl, what's up?" she greeted me, smiling widely.

"I just had a rough morning," I admitted, slumping into my chair.

"Aww... tell me all about it, hon," she said, sitting on my desk and crossing her legs.

"Preston and I—" I started, feeling the tension in my shoulders.

She groaned loudly, rolling her eyes dramatically. "Why are you still married to him?"

Madison has never been a fan of Preston ever since she found out he was cheating on me. "I can't get him to sign the papers," I explained, rubbing my temples.

"Okay, well like the vows say, 'till death do us part,'" she said, smirking devilishly.

I looked at her, confused. My eyes widened when I understood. "I'm not killing him!!!" I exclaimed, my eyes wide with shock.

"Why not?" she asked, frowning at my answer, clearly not seeing the issue.

"Because that's murder. I can't go to jail."
"Only if you get caught," she replied, winking.

As I was about to speak, my alarm went off, signaling that it was time for class. "Well, I have class, so we will finish this conversation at lunch," I said, trying to refocus.

"Alright, bye."

"Bye," I said as she left and my students came rushing in. "Good morning, everyone!"

Preston's POV

I met Rachael at our usual brunch spot, a cozy little café tucked away from prying eyes. She was already seated at a corner table, looking stunning in a casual yet elegant outfit. Her blonde hair framed her face perfectly, but even as I admired her beauty, my mind couldn't help but compare her to Denise. Denise's rich, brown skin and captivating eyes always left me breathless. Despite everything, Denise's beauty was unparalleled. But given our situation, I had settled for Rachael.

"Hey, baby," Rachael greeted, standing up to give me a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Hey," I replied, sliding into the seat opposite her.

A waiter came by to take our orders. Once he left, Rachael leaned forward, her eyes narrowing slightly. "How's everything at home?"

I sighed, rubbing the back of my neck. "Same old drama with Denise. We had another argument this morning."

Rachael's face twisted with disdain. "What was it about this time?"

"Thanksgiving. She wants to go to my mom's, and I'm too busy with work. She's not listening to reason," I said, my frustration evident.

Rachael scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Of course she isn't. Denise only cares about herself. She's always playing the victim."

"She wants to feel like things are normal for once," I muttered, almost to myself. "Family gatherings can be comforting."

"Normal?" Rachael's voice dripped with sarcasm. "There's nothing normal about her. She's the one who cheated first, and now she acts all high and mighty. It's pathetic."

I clenched my jaw, her words cutting deep. Even though I had my issues with Denise, hearing Rachael talk about her like that made me uneasy. "I know. But she's the one who won't sign the divorce papers. She's holding on to something that's already broken."

"Because she's manipulative," Rachael said coldly. "She wants to keep you trapped in her miserable web. She knows she can't find anyone better."

"Maybe she still loves me," I said softly, trying to justify Denise's actions even as the words felt hollow.

Rachael laughed bitterly. "Love? She doesn't know the meaning of the word. If she did, she wouldn't have stepped out on you first. She's just trying to control you."

I looked at Rachael, seeing the anger in her eyes. "I just wish she'd let go. It would be easier for everyone."

"Easier for you, maybe," Rachael replied, her tone icy. "But she's never going to make it easy. She'll drag this out as long as she can because she's spiteful."

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "I'm tired, Rachael. Tired of the fights, the accusations. I want to move on."

Rachael's expression softened a bit. "I get it, Preston. But until she's ready to move on too, you're stuck in this limbo."

The waiter returned with our food, and we ate in silence for a few moments. The tension between us was palpable. Rachael's beauty and allure were undeniable, but I knew deep down that I didn't love her. Our relationship was purely physical, a distraction from the turmoil with Denise.

"Look, Preston," Rachael said suddenly, her tone turning slightly sharper. "You can't keep dragging this out. If she won't sign the papers, maybe you need to give her a reason to."

Her suggestion hit a nerve, and I felt a surge of anger rise within me. "Enough, Rachael," I said firmly, cutting her off before she could say more. "Let's drop it."

Rachael blinked, taken aback by my sudden change in demeanor. "Okay, Preston," she replied quietly, sensing the tension between us.

I took a deep breath, trying to compose myself. Rachael meant well, but her words stirred conflicting emotions within me—guilt, frustration, and a pang of longing for the simpler times with Denise.

Ignoring the turmoil brewing inside me, I forced a smile at Rachael. "Let's enjoy the rest of our brunch," I suggested, attempting to steer the conversation away from dangerous territory.

Rachael nodded, though the tension lingered between us, casting a shadow over what was supposed to be a pleasant meal.

After my date with Rachael, we came to work and rode the elevator together. When we stepped out, she immediately turned back into my secretary. It has to be like that, or someone might find out and tell Denise. I really don't want to break her heart again, even if she already has her suspicions. As I walked into my office, I heard a knock on the door. I looked up to see Marcus, my best friend and COO. "Hey, what's up?" I greeted him, forcing a smile.

"Nothing much, you?" Marcus replied, eyeing me curiously.

"Had another argument with Denise today," I admitted, slumping into my chair.

Marcus walked in and closed the door behind him. "What about?" he asked, leaning against the wall.

"Same old, same old," I muttered, rubbing my temples.

"What's the point in cheating if she knows? You need to divorce her or have an open marriage. Your choice," he advised, crossing his arms.

"Firstly, Denise and I are never getting a divorce," I said, pointing my finger at him. "Secondly, I'm the only man she will ever be with."

"So you really think she didn't cheat on you, even if it was just for revenge?" Marcus challenged, raising an eyebrow.

I have never thought about her cheating on me. Come on, it's Denise. She loves me way too much to do that. I mean, she's beautiful—anybody would be lucky to have her—but she's mine, only mine. "She could never," I stated confidently, leaning back in my chair.

"If you say so," Marcus said, patting me on the back before leaving, a skeptical look on his face.

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

Break Point De Reggie

Polițiste / Thriller

3.9K 204 27
Kaya a working physiatrist finds the dark world of her husband and is determined to find his true love. *** Kaya Higgins is a working physiatrist a...
366K 7.8K 12
September 16, 2012 was no ordinary day for Lisa. It was the Sunday that changed her life forever. After 6 hard years, the grueling battle to keep her...
7.8K 226 27
When her best friend calls her on her honeymoon night, and tells her that her new husband has been cheating on her half of their relationship. Emily...
363K 14.3K 35
Nalani is having one of the worst days of her life all she wants to do is get home so she can cry herself to sleep with some whiskey . Her day doesn'...