Star Side

By LoweFantasy

Joleen hopes to forget everything on the fringes of space. Even if she decided to turn back home, everyone wh... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Painting of Gilrack
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Epilogue

Chapter 23

2K 104 12
By LoweFantasy

So, the reason Levi hadn't thought of the brig as, well, the brig, as well as not storage either, was because he'd commandeered this room as his illegal moonshine distillery. And those force fields that were supposed to keep in the bad guys? Yeah, he thought those were environmental isolation devices for perishable storage.

"You were supposed to have read the manual!" I cried. "Take a multi-day test on it and everything!"

I got the rubber neck look for that.

"Two thousand, sixty-five pages," he said.

Whatever, we had more important things to deal with, like making a small prison cell meant to isolate little humans for a winged freak.

"Um, okay...if you could stand here?" I pointed to one of the empty, chrome and white lined cells. They were about as big as my bathroom.

The alien just looked at me.

The call of checking his alcohol must have suddenly become stronger than protecting me, for Levi had gone over by the cell closest to the door where glass beakers and the like that should have been in the science lab gleamed behind a sparkly, transparent blue energy field.

I sighed and rubbed my face. Levi wasn't the only one who hadn't slept well. Who would?

A few beeps on the control panel by the alcove-like cell and the energy field vanished with crinkle like a bag of potato chips.

The alien glanced over, long elfin ears perked high. His tail went still.

"Okay, um...hey, uh, buddy," I clicked my fingers until the alien looked back at me. "Can you, um..." But I gave up on imagining feelings or intentions and just thought of an arrow pointing into the cell.

After a minute of doing nothing, the alien sniffed, clicked, and came towards me instead to refill the space about me. Without the life support fans in the hall circling the air, the light scent of brimstone and something muskier came with it.

I rubbed my face hard again. If I couldn't make this work, Naomi would kill him, couldn't he get that?

"Ugh, Levi!"

"What?" He had a little glass stick in hand and was readying to take off a rubber lid from one of his concoctions, all held on stands meant for Bunsen burners.

"You said you talked with it before, right?"

He let out a low bark of laughter. "Oh no, sweetheart, you're on your own. Even if I did get something across, he'd take it as a threat."

"He hasn't even touched you this whole time!"

"Because he's afraid of me."

"You just said he looked at you like a predator."

"I said he felt like one," he sighed and put the rubber topper back on his beaker. "I'm so not up to this."

I groaned. "Leviiiii."

"Don't."

"At least brainstorm with me."

"No."

"Ugh!"

The alien wrapped about me, all while never touching me once, gave a low croon, almost like a question. Its hourglass pupils had narrowed, despite the darkened gloom of the brig, which was only lit by the one cell Levi used for his moonshine.

I tried going into one of the cells to see if the alien would follow, which he tried, only for the tiny cell to get mighty crowded for the two of us. He seemed to like that though and somehow managed to get impossibly closer. The amount of control he had over his body was amazing. If it were a normal human being it would have been impossible to hold one's body in such tight control without shaking at least a little. And to be so close as to feel all his heat without once touching his skin, which, I realized now that I was so close, was made of teeny tiny scales.

When I got out, however, he followed again, crooning and clicking.

"Whatchjetk," he rumbled.

I froze. "What?"

Levi poked his head out of his factory. "Did it just say a word?"

"Watch it?" I tried. "Waaat-ch jet ka?"

His big horned head jerked up. Its floppy wings perked up like a dogs ears.

"Whatchjetk mrrkk kk kktch Giller ick kkk."

"Aaaaand back to clicking," said Levi.

"No! There were words!"

"Goody, doesn't solve the problem that he didn't stay in the cell." Levi ducked out of his lab and pushed some buttons to bring the force field back, which once more attracted the attention of the alien. A few more buttons and I heard some fans turn on inside.

"What are you doing?"

"Sucking out the air," he said. "Yeast works best in anaerobic environments and the lack of air stops the alcohol from evaporating right away."

"Why would prison cells need that function?"

"They don't. I blocked the outtake vents of the life support circulation so it can only intake." Even as we watched, I saw the rubber stops of all the bottles pop up a bit, the only visible sign of lower air pressure.

The alien around me let out a growl, one so low I felt it more than heard. Something tickled in the back of my mind, like claws or needles.

"I don't think he likes that," I said.

Levi just shrugged. "You putting it in a cell or not?"

"Well...he won't stay...and it's not like he really fits..."

"Then we can just keep him in the whole brig."

I jumped a little. "Wha—that was an option?" And he let me work myself into a tizzy trying to get him into a cell? "You jerk! Why didn't you say so?"

He cracked his neck. "Tired."

"Like hell!"

"Well, it's not like he can hurt my booze with the force field up, so—"

"Yes, your precious booze. What about the door?"

"Reinforced. Duh. and it's not like it knows the pass code." He rolled his eyes at my surprised look. "Yes, you need a pass code to get both out and in."

"And you never thought this was the brig?"

Levi just looked at me, shook his head, and picked up his rifle from where he left it under the control panel for his moonshine cell.

"Come on. Let's make this quick." He cocked the gun at his hip and rolled his dark eyes round to the alien. "Git."

The alien jerked, as though Levi had shot a physical blow with just his look, and his growls grew louder. A wing came about to block off my sight of Levi.

I heard the rifle cock.

"Whoa whoa, no need to get crazy about this," I dared to reach out a hand to push away the bat-like wing. The membrane felt like hot velvet beneath my palm.

The alien's growls abruptly stopped. The smell of brimstone abruptly faded to something piney, like cheap Christmas tree candles.

I tried to convey 'stay' and the 'safe' waves he had emitted to me. The whole 'emission' thing I didn't really get, as there was no difference to me between thinking and 'emitting,' not that I'd ever know if such a thing existed. All I know is that, when I brought up feelings or certain intentions, the alien seemed to respond.

Sure enough, it crooned again, soft as air.

"Racka," I thought I heard amidst more clicks. "Raggik k k tch." A chirrup, another croon. The wing came back around me.

I pushed away again, which just made him start purring. Loudly. The Christmas candle scent got stronger, along with the musk.

"Stop," said Levi. "It gets weird when you touch it."

"Stop making everything sound perverted, we're different species," I had to push the wing away again. "Stay!"

Shouting seemed to be the key, as the alien finally backed off, eyes darkened with widening pupils.

"Hurry up," snapped Levi.

I sprinted to the door. The alien made two large steps to go after me, raising one of his eerie human-like hands as though to catch me.

But then the double doors were zipped closed. The locks hissed in place.

I stared at the door for a long second while Levi lowered his gun, waiting for a bang of a fist on the other side or something. But nothing came.

"Well, that went smoother than I thought."

"Speak for yourself." Levi shook himself hard. "Creepy bastard."

I couldn't say I related.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

665K 68.7K 26
في وسط دهليز معتم يولد شخصًا قاتم قوي جبارً بارد يوجد بداخل قلبهُ شرارةًُ مُنيرة هل ستصبح الشرارة نارًا تحرق الجميع أم ستبرد وتنطفئ ماذا لو تلون الأ...
1.7M 95.9K 87
Daksh singh chauhan - the crowned prince and future king of Jodhpur is a multi billionaire and the CEO of Ratore group. He is highly honored and resp...
209K 10.2K 53
Ashima has dreamed of space exploration her entire life. Finally embarking on her first mission, her excitement turns to terror when she crash land...
679K 18.2K 89
Saving lives is all I wanted to do in life but something harder than a open heart surgery is protecting your own heart. I thought I was strong enough...