Someone Like You

By LaurenJ22

Brea Lancaster may have been born in the country, but she is a city girl through and through. She is stylish... More

Author's Note/Blurb
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirteen

4.5K 208 28
By LaurenJ22

Brea

There is a slight breeze this morning as I sit out the back area of the hotel. I have my legs splayed in front of me, a book in my hand and a cup of coffee in the other. I've discovered this small, quiet area to sit and relax. I rarely see another person when I'm out here, but I kind of like that.

Back in the city, even being alone in my tiny studio apartment, the bustling streets crept through windows even if they were closed. I could always hear chatter outside in the hall. People climbing the stairs. My upstairs neighbour walking around and speaking on the phone.

Here, it is quiet. Truly quiet. It's something I could get used to.

I'm finally sleeping better. Working helps. It occupies my mind and makes me tired, even when it isn't that busy.

A ding from my phone pulls my attention from my book. I glance down at the screen, surprised to see the regular girls chat buzzing with messages like it used to. I open it and see my name tagged a few times, asking where I am and how I've been.

Better late than never, I suppose.

I end up filling them in about where I am and why. After a few moments, Olivia calls me. Swallowing uneasily, I take a sip of my drink and then answer.

"Hey, girl," she says in the falsely sweet, hushed tone she uses that I once thought was endearing, but now know to be fake.

It seems strange to hear the voice of someone from my real world. As if I've been on some strange vacation and reality is calling. Shaking my head, I reply, trying to sound relaxed and neutral. We talk about a lot of random things, almost for half an hour, until I notice the change in her voice. I know what's coming.

"I have to talk to you about something, sweetie," she says.

"What's that?" I ask, even though I already know. They haven't exactly been very subtle about it online.

"Mitch and I are seeing each other."

My fist curls and uncurls for a moment. "Oh."

"Yeah..." she trails off. "It sort of... just... happened, sweetie. I'm sorry."

"It's fine."

"It is?" she sounds surprised, which honestly makes it worse. She doesn't even know how little of a shit I give about him. Hardly a thought of him has entered my mind since I got here, but she didn't know that. This whole time she probably thought I was really upset and is only now reaching out about it, after going out of her way to exclude me.

"I guess, yeah." I say.

"Oh. Well. I'm glad you're okay with it! It's quite... serious."

I resist the urge to laugh. Mitch, commitment, and serious, are words that will never belong in a sentence together.

"I hope he isn't as awful to you as he was to me."

There's an awkward silence for a few moments before she continues talking as if I had said nothing. A few minutes later, I hang up, and toss the phone to the side. Sighing, I lean back on the chair.

I don't want to think about life back there, or the decisions I have to make. My head hurts when I do. For a little while longer, I want to pretend none of it exists. But I know that I can't do that.

Reaching for my phone again, pull up my notes and make a to-do list.

1. Figure out how long I'm staying here.

2. Start job hunting.

3. Do I want to stay living where I am, or should I move on?

Glancing at the time, I see that I have an hour before I start work. Pushing myself to standing position, I pack up my things and head back to my room.

As I'm getting ready, my phone rings again. Cringing, I reluctantly look down at it, fearing it may be Olivia again. Instead, it is Joelle, a friend of my mother's. I had a lot to do with her when I was younger but since my mum passed, I haven't seen her all that much. Dread swirls in my stomach. I don't want to talk to her and admit that I'm here. She knew how my mother felt about this place—and the people in it.

It rings out. I wait a moment to check the message.

"Hi, love. How are you? Just calling to check in. Look, I found a box of your mother's things here. I had no idea they were here. I thought you might want to come take a look. We could have lunch, or something. Anywho, let me know. Talk soon."

I stare at the phone. Mum had her own place, why would she need to keep something there?

Unless she was hiding it.

Nausea swirls in my stomach. I finish dressing in a daze and hurry out the door.

When I arrive, there are unfamiliar faces everywhere. A few of the tables have been pushed together to make one long table. White table clothes are draped over it. Three clear vases holding gorgeous flowers hold them down as the fans overheard whir, trying to keep the place as cool as possible on this warm day.

"Perfect timing," Cassie smiles when she sees me. Her hair is pulled into a messy bun on the top of her head. She dabs at the sweat beading across her forehead and lets out a whoosh of breath, as if she hasn't stopped for some time.

"What's going on?"

"Boss is putting a lunch on for everyone," she replies.

She rushes around for a few moments, making sure the table is set. Grabbing some drinks, she takes a seat and gestures for me to join her. She introduces me to those standing close by so quickly, I immediately forget half of their names. Since it's a small crew, I don't doubt I'll pick them up in no time.

"Hello," Zander says as he walks by, nodding at me.

A few of the other staff glance at me after that, a look of surprise on their face. I give him a small smile in return.

"Does he do this a lot?" I ask.

Cassie shakes her head. "Never."

Weird.

Cassie introduced me to the other bartenders and the chefs I haven't had a chance to meet yet. Chatter fills the small space as everyone divides into the separate conversations.

"How are you doing?" Cassie asks. "Looks like you sorted things out with the Boss?"

"Yeah," I answer with a half-shrug. "Sort of, I guess."

She eyes me curiously for a moment. "That's good."

Suddenly, I recall our conversation from the other night before we were interrupted.

"When you said you're on an unbeatable team for the challenge, who does that consist of?"

"Me," she says. "Andy," she points at the chef who is sitting across from us. "Kristen." Kristen is the other waitress., a few chairs down. "And Zander."

Nodding, I mull this over. I've always been known for my competitive streak. Considering the rivalry between my brother and Zander, I'm sure it would create even more drama now that Nathan has recruited me to participate. Smiling wickedly, I take the glass that Cassie placed in front of me a take a long sip. I'd love to give Zander a taste of his own medicine.

"What are you going to order?" Cassie asks.

"Oh, I haven't looked." I pick up the menu and browse, ignoring the heated stare from Zander who is seated at the head of the table. I offer her the other menu and she shakes her head.

"I don't need to look. The menu hasn't changed since I've worked here."

"Fair enough," I laugh.

We all place our orders and I settle into the seat, enjoying the banter and chatter around me. Everyone acts like they're all close friends. It's really sweet. After everyone is finished eating, it's announced this is meant to be an informal staff meeting, but no talk of work is discussed. This is nothing like my old workplace and honestly, it's like a weight off my shoulders knowing I don't have to deal with the stress of that job anymore.

When work commences, everyone is in good spirits. Somebody turns the jukebox on. Cassie moves around the bar, shaking her shoulders. She wraps her arms around me, swinging us around in a circle. I throw my head back and laugh. When the customers start joining in on the dancing, I can't wipe the big smile from my face.

Shimmying down Cassie's body, I bounce a few times, and slide back up, causing a few customers to wolf whistle. I start doing an appalling attempt of the moon walk when I hear a shriek. I spin at the same time Kristen tries to move around me. The icy bucket of water she is holding splashes across me before spilling everywhere across the floor.

I gasp at the cold sensation and leap back in surprise, hitting my back had against the edge of the bar.

"Taxi!" Someone yells out jokingly.

"Oh my God!" she exclaims, looking horrified at my soaked shirt. "I'm so sorry!"

"It's okay!" I quickly say, watching in horror as my shirt turns see-through. "I wasn't watching where I was going."

"There's a spare shirt out the back, I think," Cassie says.

"Thanks, I'll go look."

Hastily making my way past everyone, I rush out the back. Peeling the shirt over my head, I throw it on the counter. It lands with a wet slapping sound. I use the paper towel in the breakroom to dry off.

The door swings open and I whirl around. My heart jolts sideways when I see Zander standing there. His gaze darkens as he takes in my bare stomach. The white bra I'm wearing is soaked enough that it's not covering much either.

"Sorry!" He quickly turns away.

A muscle in his cheek jumps and I smirk a little, loving how much seeing me is affecting him.

"It's fine, Zander," I say. "Do you happen to know where a spare shirt might be? A medium?"

"On it," he answers, disappearing almost as fast as he barged in.

I continue drying myself off until he comes back. He walks over, holding the shirt out.

"Thanks, Boss," I smile, taking it from him.

"What happened?" he asks.

"I'm wet."

"What?" he whips his head around in alarm at my words. Grinning, I motion toward the paper towel. Realisation dawns on him and he rolls his eyes. "Oh. Right."

Smiling innocently, I slowly unfold the shirt.

"Anything else, Boss?" I ask.

"I'm not feeling very appropriate things a boss should be feeling," he chokes out, drawing his bottom lip between his teeth.

"Hmm? And what are those feelings, Cowboy?"

"I'm better at showing, not telling," he says huskily.

"Go on, then," I encourage him.

Stepping forward, he presses me back against the wall. With one hand, he pins my arms over my head, the other securely holds my face. He leans down and kisses me. It's harsh and passionate and warm and fucking incredible.

Moaning into his mouth, I press into him, deepening the kiss. His big hand strokes down the delicate lines of my body. His hips dig into mine, showing me just how much he wants me.

"Jesus," I croak breathlessly when his mouth moves from my mouth and across my jaw. "You weren't kidding."

"I'm good with my hands," he smirks, his tongue snaking out and running down my neck, making me moan again.

"I can see that."

A loud knock startles us both and the door opens once more.

"Hey B, you okay?" Cassie asks and then gasps when she sees the position that we are in. Her hands fly to her mouth and her eyes are wide as she stares. "Oh my God... sorry..." she quickly backs out of the breakroom.

My stomach tightens in worry at the impression I've just made of myself. Zander steps back suddenly. Cool air nips at my exposed skin from his break of contact. He retrieves my shirt which had fallen to the floor and tosses it at me.

Wordlessly, he turns and exits the room in three long strides. My heartbeat is hammering in my ears as I stay where I am, pinned breathlessly to the wall.

Ah, hell.

------------------

Happy Reading! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 51.9K 94
#4 in romance #1 in jealous, passionate, hot #3 in rejection, hot #5 in badboy, funny #9 in wattpad, steamy #55 in werewolf (Highest rankings) "You a...
332K 11.8K 46
"And it took me a while to realize it, but everything I've had to go through in this life, all the pain and sadness I've had to bear . . . well, its...
26.4K 2.7K 33
Jordan must maintain her perfect, good-girl façade no matter what since her ex-husband destroyed her life, or risk losing even more. But when trouble...
25.8K 1.1K 31
~"When are you going to do what's best for you Sadie? All you ever do is what's best for Hallie and push your own wants and needs to the bottom of th...