Forest Lake

By SophiaAria

Emma is an 18-year-old girl who lives with her mom and stepfather. She was sent to a boarding school when her... More

Introduction
Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Update
Chapter 70

Chapter 58

4.8K 174 25
By SophiaAria

Mason POV

Emma and I were sitting on a ferryboat. I was holding her hand in mine in a tight grip. I wasn’t planning on letting her hand go anytime soon.

I was staring at the lake, trying to keep my fear and anger under control.

We were half way there, but the boat was moving so fucking slowly and it was driving me crazy. I wanted to get off of this boat as soon as possible.

“Massy?” Emma called me softly.

I turned to look at her.

“Are you mad at me?” she asked me worriedly.

I wasn’t mad at her. I was terrified.

“No, Emma.” I said, raising my other hand and caressing her cheek. “I’m not mad.”

“Are you sure?” she asked, biting her lower lip. “Please, Massy, don’t be mad. I just...”

I interrupted her when I pulled her into a hug.

“I’m not mad, Emmy.” I said, kissing the top of her head. “I’m scared.”

She wrapped her hands around me and hugged me tightly.

“I know.” she mumbled. “I wish I could take it away.”

I knew exactly what she was talking about. I wished I could take away everything bad she ever felt.

I kissed the top of her head again and leaned my head on hers.

My eyes fell on detective Peters, who was standing on the other end of the ferryboat, talking to the cops. His eyebrows were furrowed and he had a serious expression on his face.

I fucking hated him in this moment. If she got hurt because of him again, I would beat the shit out of the fucker.

“I think it’s illegal to stare at the cops like that, Mase.” Chris said.

He was sitting opposite Emma and me, and he had a perfect view of my pissed off face.

Emma looked up at me, and I rolled my eyes at Chris.

“Don’t make me regret bringing you with us.” I said, glaring at Chris.

He chuckled and shook his head.

“I can still change my mind and send you back.” I told him, narrowing my eyes.

“You won’t.” Chris said confidently. “You need me to stop you from going to jail.”

I rolled my eyes at him again. He was an overconfident fucker. I didn’t need him to stop me from going to jail. Emma was enough. I would never do anything that would separate me from her. I wasn’t going to let that happen again.

I looked away from Chris in time to see Peters walking toward us.

“Hi, guys.” he said as he sat down next to Chris. “How are you doing?”

“Fine.”

“Okay.”

“Terrible.”

The three of us said at the same time.

“I know that you are worried, Mason.” Peters sighed, looking at me. “But she will be okay. We will make sure of it.”

“I’ve heard that before.” I said, clenching my fists angrily. “She was so okay that they had to restart her heart.”

Emma wrapped her arms around me and leaned her head on my shoulder.

“It’s different this time, Mason.” Peters said calmly. “He will be restrained. I will be going with her. She won’t be alone with him. He won’t be able to touch her or hurt her.”

“You better be right.” I said, gritting my teeth.

“I am.” Peters said confidently. “She will be okay.”

“I will be okay, Massy.” Emma mumbled, making me turn to her and kiss the top of her head.

She had to be okay. I couldn’t lose her again. I thought that she was dead once, and it was more than enough. I didn’t want to be scared like that again. I didn’t want to feel a part of me dying again. I couldn’t do that.

“I came here to tell you exactly how this will go.” Peters started talking. “I’ve arranged everything and we can start as soon as we get to the station.”

“Okay.” Chris said, crossing his arms over his chest. “Tell us what to expect.”

“The police car is waiting for us on the other side.” Peters said, looking at me. “They will take us to the station.”

Okay. I didn’t give a fuck about that part, but whatever.

“Derek is already there.” he continued, and my blood boiled when I heard his name. “He is in one of the interrogation rooms.”

“How will you protect my sister?” I asked coldly, wrapping my arms around Emma even tighter.

“Derek is completely restrained.” Peters said. “His legs and hands are cuffed. He is cuffed to the table as well. The only thing he can move right now is his mouth. I would cuff them too if I could, but, unfortunately, we need him to talk.”

“Who will be going in there with her?” I asked, feeling my heart rate pick up.

“There will be two police officers standing behind Derek.” Peters said. “I will go in there with her. We will be sitting opposite him. Emma will be sitting closer to the door in case anything happens.”

“What could happen?” Chris asked angrily. “You just said that she would be okay.”

“We can protect her from physical harm.” Peters said calmly. “Unfortunately, we can’t stop him from talking, especially now that we need him to talk. He could say something that could upset Emma. If that happens, I will lead her out immediately.”

I buried my nose in her hair and took a deep breath.

“What about us?” I asked. “I want to be as close as possible to her.”

“I arranged for Chris and you to be in the room next door and watch through the one-way mirror.” Peters said. “It’s not a common practice, but you helped us a lot, and I wanted to repay the favor.”

I could think of a million different ways for him to repay us. The first thing that came to mind was for him to leave Emma the fuck alone. But this was better than nothing. I will be right next door. I will be able to see her. I will be right there for her as soon as she walks out of that fucking room.

“Okay.” I said coldly.

“I just have a few more things to say to Emma.” Peters said, looking from me to my sister.

She raised her head from my shoulder and looked at him.

“I know that this will be hard for you.” Peters said softly. “I admire your bravery, Emma. If there was another way, I would never ask you to help us again. Unfortunately, this is the fastest way to catch his helper. I don’t want to risk you getting hurt again.”

“I know.” Emma said softly. “It’s okay. I want to help.”

I leaned in and kissed the top of her head again. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

“I will need you to remain calm when we enter the room.” Peters told her. “He will talk to you. He will try to get some sort of reaction. Try not to give it to him, okay? He will try to get you to talk to him. Don’t talk. He asked to see you, and we will allow him to see you, but that’s it.”

“Okay.” Emma said quietly, and I could hear the fear in her voice.

My heart broke. If I could hold her tighter without breaking her bones, I would.

“Keep your hands on your lap at all times.” Peters continued. “Don’t place them on the table. If you need to leave the room, squeeze my arm and I will take you out immediately.”

Emma nodded.

“Did you understand everything?” Peters asked her.

“I did.” Emma said softly.

“Do you have any questions?” Peters asked, giving her a small smile.

“I don’t.” Emma said, shaking her head.

“Okay.” Peters said as he stood up. “Everything will be okay, Emma. Don’t worry.”

“Thank you, detective.” Emma smiled at him.

Peters smiled back at her and looked at Chris and me.

“We will arrive in a few minutes.” he said. “I will give you some time alone.”

He smiled at us and walked away.

Chris stood up and came to sit next to Emma. He placed a hand on her thigh, making her look at him.

“You will be okay, Em.” he said softly. “Mason and I will be right next door.”

“I know.” Emma said softly, giving him a small smile.

I leaned my head on hers and looked at the lake.

I could already see the shore and the police car waiting for us there.

My heart clenched painfully, and the fear almost made me throw up.

She will be okay. Everything will be over soon.

_____________________________________________

Whose POV of the conversation with Derek do you want to see? 😊

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

201K 6.9K 94
Emma escapes death only to face a new kind of danger-her absent father's unsettling new picture-perfect family. As she tries to navigate this twisted...
Kidnapped✔ By Linda A

Mystery / Thriller

1.3K 84 15
Sequel to falling for my new sibling (the swap fanfiction) Highest ranking #498 in mystery/thriller 1/5/17 #284 in mystery/thriller 2/14/17 Ellie an...
151K 3.5K 50
Emma, a girl who just wants to lead a normal life like any other 14 year old. She lost her mother a few years back and her life had changed ever sinc...
Never The Same By GracieHart

Mystery / Thriller

1K 145 30
Ellie Hayes was fifteen when it happened, but that's in the past now, right? She tries to forget the horrors of her old life two years later, when sh...