The Perfect-ish Brother

By Oghenetega1605

Secrets, regrets, denials and sisters are undoubtedly the recipe for disaster of your average teenage boy. To... More

~1~
~2~
~3~
Shoutouts!
~4~
~5~
~6~
~7~
~9~
~10~
~11~
~12~
~13~
IT MAKES ME UPSET🥲

~8~

10 4 5
By Oghenetega1605

Kaycee
~~~~

My hands quiver as I knock on the principal's door. Unaware of what awaits me, and mentally unprepared.

The door opens and I walk in with my head bent in shame and reverence.

I've never been to the principal's office for any misconduct before, so I'm currently experiencing an overwhelming frisson of fear.

Mr. Elvis and Somto are also in the principal's office, both somehow hurt by my violent behaviour today.

Although one was far more deserving than the other.

Somto stands a few meters away from me, but I can almost taste the hatred in his eyes.

His breaths are huff and raggedly, his shirt torn and soiled, there's a bruise beginning to form above his left cheekbone where I punched him.
He keeps clenching and unclenching his teeth-his messed up strategy of intimidation.

I continue to stare at him intently, refusing to recoil; he looks away.

Mr. Elvis clears his throat vehemently, almost like a subtle warning to the both of us.

"Both of you. Sit" Principal Godfrey commands in a monotonous voice.

Somto and I both settle down on the metal bench in the office-a relatively large gap between us.

"Kenechukwu Andre Chidi alias Kaycee" The principal reads from a book open on his desk and looks at me with an arched brow for confirmation.

I nod in response.

He looks back at the book and reads, "Victor Somto Anikechi"

"Yes sir" Somto verifies.

"Now" He shuts the book with ease and looks at me, his lips twitching in irritation, "You're the Captain of the football team aren't you?"

"Yes" I say.

"You intentionally assaulted a classmate, damaged school property and ditched biology class. Am I right?" He doesn't wait for an answer.

"And you" His voice goes an octave higher. "This isn't the first time you've been in my office for fighting-"

"But sir, he punched me first!" Somto interjects rudely like the spoilt brat he is.

"So what if he punched you first?! Whatever happened to reporting to a teacher? Or even me for heaven's sake!" He pauses and massages his forehead.

"And I know for certain that Kaycee would not just punch you if you hadn't said something provocative to him"

"All I said was that he was the one who ruined Peter-"

"Somto!" I don't know when the sound escapes my mouth. My hands grip the railings on the bench and I feel my stomach churn in anxiety and guilt.

The images of that day flash in my mind-more vivid this time.

Her face.

The blood.

Peter.

My breathing becomes rapid and I can only imagine how entertaining my breakdown must be to Somto.

"Kaycee, what's with the theatrics?" Mr. Elvis makes a sweep in my direction; his eyes twinkling with amusement.

But I don't find it funny one bit.

No one would find loosing a friend funny. Especially, if it's all your fault.

¶~¶~¶~¶~¶~¶

"What?!" Ebuka cries, horror written all over his face, drawing the attention of few in the cafeteria.

"That's insane bro!" Ariel growls in anger-and sympathy.

It's unsettling.

Half of the football team has their gazes fixated on me.

And apart from pity which is the common sentiment, I pick up on a bit of disappointment in their eyes.

The principal punished me with two week suspension and temporary relief from all my prefect duties till further notice.

And though I feel hurt-nothing hurts more than the disappointment in the faces of the people I lead.

Or used to lead.

"Kaycee, you can't get suspended for two weeks. The team needs you, We have a match with DHS Awka next month. We need all the time we can get to prepare-"

"And you know those boys are devils on the field" Someone else says, earning the grunts and nods of the team.

They're right though. We barely stand a chance against DHS.

Maybe I'm not cut out for this job.

"Don't worry guys, it's only two weeks and he'll be back. Then you people can strategize" Ebuka assures the team.

"To a footballer Ebuka, time is critical" Ariel sighs and continues.

"We don't have much time and we can't lay around waiting for Kaycee... Coach can help put us through a bit pending when Kaycee's punishment has been served"

"But Kaycee! Why would you go and do something like this now?!" Jeff, one of the players asks me frustratedly.

"Hey bro, fall back in line. That's not your calling" Ariel scoffs.

"Ariel, It's true. I mean we all know how psychotic Somto is; but Kaycee, you should've kept your cool-for our sakes" Another person says.

Ariel turns to look at me, and that subtle underlying concern in his eyes irritates me.

I look away quickly.

"I'm sorry" I mumble incoherently.

I then stand up and begin to walk away.

Ebuka tries to follow me but I signal to him to stay back. He nods in a knowing manner and gives me a weak smile.

I need somewhere to think.

Alone.

The bell rings signaling the end of break. I can't go to class though, I can't possibly show my face in there any longer.... I need someplace quiet.

Home.

At this moment, I don't want to think about how mad my mother would be or the reactions of my sisters; I just want to think about home.

I quickly write a letter of permission to the admin office, and they allow me to go; citing that my suspension starts from tomorrow.

I send a junior student to bring my school bag from my class.

He doesn't return after seven minutes and I contemplate leaving without it, after all Ebuka can always drop it at my place when he comes by.

But as I approach the school's exit, someone calls my name. It's an unfamiliar voice, but I turn around anyway.

"Kaycee. Here's your bag, I'm headed home too. Might as well tag along"

Well, it's official.

Today is just a day of surprises.

Good and bad.

Author's note
~~~~~~~~~~
Happy new year fam!! Thank you for the entire support last year and the love as well.

What do you think about Kaycee and Somto's fight?

Do you think Kaycee deserves suspension?

Who do you think wants to tag along with Kaycee?

Bye! Have a blessed new year!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.4K 12.6K 41
When Dieko's father becomes a drunkard overnight, her mother becomes a punching bag but she endures it hoping it will all end soon but when he then b...
77.8K 10.5K 58
This story is based on a true life story. Adesua is forced to attend a new school against her wishes. Fortunately for her, she finds her first love i...
16.5K 2.2K 43
Ruby just started at her new school and trips into a complicated life, involving her best friend's boyfriend, Matthew. And God, did she try to keep a...
6.5K 2K 31
Everyone does not have the flawless life we all seem they have, some have obstacles to face, battles to fight and as teenagers, stages to over come...