After the Rain- Josh Kiszka

By hs1Dgvf10v3r

Almost two years have gone by since the night that changed Celine's life forever. She has finally adjusted to... More

Chapter 1- That Night
Chapter 2- That Night (continued)
Chapter 3- Picking Up the Pieces
Chapter 4- Bearer of Good News
Chapter 5- Playing Matchmaker (Part 1)
Chapter 6- Playing Matchmaker (Part 2)
Chapter 7- Light My Love
Chapter 8- Facing Fears
Chapter 9- Debrief
Chapter 10- Fate
Chapter 11- Disbelief
Chapter 12- Dinner Date Destiny
Chapter 13- Love Birds
Chapter 15- Red Handed
Chapter 16- Getaway
Chapter 17- Traitorous Tattoos
Chapter 18- Betrayal of Brotherhood
Chapter 19- Sleep on it
Chapter 20- Pink Slip
Chapter 21- In the Dark
Chapter 22- Accepting Defeat
Chapter 23- Right the Wrongs
Chapter 24- Redemption
Le Beau Temps
Author's Note (Please Read!!)

Chapter 14- Trouble in Paradise

280 6 2
By hs1Dgvf10v3r

The day had finally arrived. Teagan and Chris were getting engaged. Chris took Teagan to the beach and they spent the day together, while I was at Teagan's parents' house; I was helping them prepare for the engagement party, and Millie babysat Lina for the duration of the process.

The party was to be held in their backyard, which was actually quite an impressive setup. Their backyard consisted of about an acre and a half of land, where we set up round tables and tents, equipped with string lights for when it got dark. We had even arranged for the event to be catered by Teagan's favorite restaurant.

Everything was going smoothly and according to plan. Josh and the boys arrived before the party had begun to set up their equipment and to do a soundcheck to make sure that everything was in order before the happy couple was to arrive. They traveled light considering that they would only be performing one song as Teagan entered the gathering.

I was truly so elated for Teagan and Chris, nothing could ruin this day.

The next hour or so was a whirlwind, the guests had arrived and we successfully surprised Teagan when she and Chris showed up. We cried tears of joy together and I finally got to see the gorgeous ring on her finger. She was absolutely radiant, I don't think I had ever seen her happier. She was so grateful that Greta Van Fleet had agreed to perform and that we were able to coordinate the party with all of her family and friends.

After all the commotion had settled down, all of the guests sat for dinner. Lina was situated in her stroller beside me, napping, as I sat at a table with Josh, Jake, Danny, Sam, Tom and Mikey. We ate our food and the drinks began flowing as we chatted amongst ourselves.

"Surprised to see all of us in the same place after your little performance following our last show." Jake remarked, tipping his glass in the direction of Mikey before taking a sip.

The side conversations died down at once, as all of us tuned in to what unfolding before us.

"And why is that, Jake?" Mikey bit back, seemingly on the defense.

I was starting to get a sense there may have been a little more history between Mikey and the Greta boys than he had initially let on.

"Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as if history is repeating itself." He shrugged, looking from me and Josh back to Mikey.

Mikey's jaw clenched.

Why was he poking the bear?

"Jake," Josh said under his breath, almost as a warning to his twin.

"Come on, Jake. Not here." Sam echoed Josh's warning, shaking his head.

"What is going on?" I whispered to Josh.

He shook his head, dismissing my question, and patted my thigh affectionately in an attempt to ease my worry.

"It may seem that way now, to you, I'm sure. But it's far from over." Mikey said decidedly, not breaking eye contact with Jake.

"What's that supposed to mean, Michael?" Josh chimed in, a fire sparking in his eyes. The look of determination only fueling my worry as to what was about to happen.

"It means that you always seem to insert yourself into spaces where you're not welcome, and this time I'm going to protect what's mine." Mikey answered, the anger growing in his tone.

"Oh, please, Mikey." Jake scoffed. "Cool it with the dramatics."

"You don't think I'm serious?" He said, the volume of his voice increasing.

"Guys, now is not the time to bring up old beef." Danny said, wearing a panicked expression as a few people had begun to turn their heads at the conversation.

"Josh, did you ever even think to ask who the father is?"

My jaw dropped and Josh sat there, stunned.

"Mikey, that's enough." I said, hearing my heartbeat in my ears.

I prayed he wouldn't take it any further.

"Save it, Celine. You're only looking out for yourself." He spat back.

"Do not ruin this day for Chris and Teagan." I pleaded, feeling my voice catch.

How dare he? Not only was he causing a scene at his best friend's engagement party, but he was threatening to ruin my entire life in the process. Regardless of how he felt about me or my decisions, this was not the appropriate setting to air out our grievances with one another.

I stood up with Lina in my arms to leave the table. I couldn't listen to this go on any longer.

Josh was quick to come to my defense, speaking firmly to Mikey, "Michael, our past aside, my relationship with Celine does not involve you. Her and I are together, and that has nothing to do with anything that has happened between you and I, or you and her for that matter."

"Mikey, let's take a breather." I heard Tom say to him from the table as I walked further and further away from them.

I walked from the yard to the garden where I took a seat on the bench that overlooked the koi pond.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and shifted to see who it was.

Josh came around from behind the bench and sat beside me. 

"Hey, how're my girls?" He said, smiling at Lina in my lap and booping her nose before meeting me with concerned eyes.

Fuck. I wished I could tell him right then and there, 'We are your girls!', but I didn't want to contribute any more to the chaos of today.

"Been better I guess. I just don't want this to affect Chris and Teagan's day." I groaned.

"I don't think the news has caught up to them just yet, they seem to be enjoying themselves." Josh offered, trying to alleviate my worry. 

"Good, that's all I can ask for." I said, sinking lower in my seat, relieved.

He wrapped his arm around me and I rested my head on his shoulder. We sat in a beat of silence before he broke it with a question:

"Celine, is it Michael?"

"What?" I asked, confused as to what he was referring to. I picked my head up and turned to face him.

"Is Michael Lina's father?" He clarified.

"No! Of course not!" I protested immediately.

It's you.

I hadn't considered that Mikey being Lina's father could have been a possibility in Josh's head, but it made sense for him to believe given the way Mikey had acted in regard to my relationship with Josh.

He left out a breath of relief.

"What is it with you two? I feel like he's always on edge when you're around." I asked, wanting to know the reason for all of this.

He sighed and shook his head, "Ages ago when we were all in high school, Michael would hang around with Daniel and Sam because he played golf with Daniel, and his cousin was in Danny and Sam's grade at school. We got to know him pretty well, and we became friendly. I wouldn't say that we had ever been friends, considering I never directly hung out with him and that I was a few years older than them all. 

"There was this girl at school who took a liking to me, and we eventually ended up dating. I guess Michael had some history with the girl and insinuated that I had home-wrecked their relationship... if there had ever even been one." He rolled his eyes at how trivial it sounded. We were all adults now and Mikey was still holding on to a high school grudge. 

"So, I guess he might feel slighted now, because you're my girlfriend?"

"Oh, the 'g' word." I said, lighting up.

He smiled shyly. "Well, I know I never technically asked, but I just assumed, is that okay?"

"Josh, it's more than okay, are you kidding?" 

"Good, I'm glad. You really mean a lot to me, Celine." He said resting a hand on my face and running his thumb over my cheek affectionately.

"You mean a lot to me too, Josh." I leaned in and planted a kiss on his lips.

More than you could ever imagine.

"I should go talk to Mikey and smooth things over to make sure he doesn't make today any more of a mess than he already has." I said with a laugh. "Would you mind watching over Lina?" I asked.

"Not at all, darling. Come here, sweet girl" Josh cooed, extending his arms to hold Lina.

She lit up, smiling bright, as I passed her over to him. The sight absolutely melted my heart.

"Thank you," I said with a sad smile, wishing that we could have infinite moments like these, but as a family.

"No need to thank me," He said with a wink as he turned to go back to the table with his brothers.

I left the garden and surveyed the yard for Mikey and Tom. I spotted them at a table across the way. Mikey had his head down on the table and Tom spoke to him closely, with a water bottle in hand probably in an attempt to coerce him to drink it to sober up.

I approached them and cleared my throat. Mikey picked his head up to face me and Tom straightened his posture, nervous for what was to come.

"Mikey, what you did back there was so hurtful. The fact that you were willing to reveal something that is so personal to me just because you're drunk and angry shows what kind of person you truly are. You could've ruined my life." I began, trying to keep my voice even to avoid crying and drawing any added attention to myself.

"Not really much to ruin when you're living a lie." He fired back.

"You can have your opinions about the decisions that I have made, but I have a daughter to protect. This is something I could lose my job over— and then what? I would have no way to support myself or my child because I have no family— not a single living relative. I have so much at stake, and as much as I would like to be as open and honest as possible, I can't right now." I tried to explain, hoping he would reason with me and put this to rest.

"Celine, you have us." Tom added in an attempt to console me.

"I know. You, Chris, and Teagan have all become my family, but I am not comfortable with being financially dependent on anyone but myself. And, I would never ask that of any of you."

He nodded in understanding.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is, I think we should take some space with one another, Mikey. I tried to give you another chance after you freaked out at the concert, but I you keep hurting me, and your actions have the potential to hurt my daughter. You have no regard for my personal life or sensitive information and I cannot keep doing this with you. I think that it would be best if we're just civil with each other." I said, trying to be as polite and objective as I possible could considering how upset I actually was.

He looked back at me with a pained face and glossy eyes, "Celi, I'm sorry." but it was too late, the damage had been done.

Tom gave me a sympathetic smile and I turned, leaving them behind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

831 26 13
You're in love with your best friend, Jake. The only problem is that he's planning on proposing to his girlfriend and he needs your help with it. You...
21 0 5
an unexpected love between the reader and Jake Kiszka, guitarist of Greta Van Fleet. Will the love blossom after you spontaneously decide to leave al...
225K 3.2K 38
Roommates - a Samuel Francis Kiszka story
1.7K 61 20
Narrator and Josh have spent what feels like countless nights under the stars together, lost in their own little world, so caught in the natural moti...