Sparks Fly (An Aleheather Sto...

By june_avenue99

Heather Kasuga is the founder of Illuminate, a new and fast-growing jewellery business. Her life takes a turn... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
'The Jerk Next Door' is out :)

Chapter 17

1.1K 20 148
By june_avenue99

Several weeks later

Heather sat in her office on a Tuesday morning as she reviewed some important documents and budgeting files. Her eyes widened when she noticed a familiar figure in the corridor through her office windows. It was Nathan, who she hadn't seen in awhile.

Nathan had taken the past few weeks off work, the reason being that he needed to deal with some 'family issues', so Heather hadn't had a chance to confront him about what he had done to Alejandro.

Today would be her chance.

She took a deep breath and then got up from her seat and made her way over to Nathan's office.

"Heather, it's so great to see you again! You look—" Nathan beamed when he saw Heather standing at his door.

"Nathan, I'm just going to cut to the chase. I know you framed Alejandro with those documents that day after the magazine photoshoot," Heather interrupted him and folded her arms as she walked inside towards where Nathan was seated.

Nathan's eyes widened, but only for a split second. The next moment, he furrowed his brows and pretended to act like someone in deep remorse and shame.

"Heather, I'm so sorry, I was actually going to talk to you about this today. I've been dealing with some family issues at home. My mom has been sick and I haven't been in a good headspace. It was my mistake for letting my personal issues interfere with work and I take full responsibility. I shouldn't have pulled that stunt and let out all my frustrations and anger on Alejandro that day. But I promise you that I am doing much better now after my break and that it was a one-off incident that won't ever happen again," Nathan replied.

Heather raised a brow as she listened to Nathan speak. She wasn't expecting this reaction and for him to admit his guilt so easily.

But there was an obvious loophole in what he had just said.

She thought back to the time when she went out on a date with him, and he had told her that he wasn't close with his family.

She also remembered that he had taken her to a Spanish restaurant, and had told her that he was learning Spanish. Looking back, surely that couldn't have been a coincidence. But how did Nathan know about Alejandro back then?

There was definitely something very suspicious about this.

When she initially asked Nathan to join her business back in college, she trusted him. But now, she felt that his mask was slowly being unveiled, and that he was also hiding something else. She needed to dig deeper.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

"Alright, fine, I'm going to let it go this time. But if something like that happens ever again, know that you can say goodbye to your job and position here," Heather eventually said with finality in her voice.

Nathan smiled. "Thank you for giving me another chance, Heather. I promise that it won't happen again."

Heather faked a smile back and then proceeded to make her way back to her own office.

Nathan let out a sly grin as he watched Heather walk out. Only a couple of more weeks left. She has no idea what's coming to her.

Meanwhile, as Heather sat back down in her office, her phone lit up with a soft 'ding' sound. She opened her notifications to see a new text from Alejandro.

Mi amor, I can't wait to pick you up and see you tonight ♥️

Time: 6 PM

Dress code: anything because you look good in everything ♥️

Location: It's a secret ;)

Heather couldn't help the smile forming on her lips. Normally, she would have found something like this to be quite cringe but when it came from Alejandro, she found it cute. She smiled and quickly typed a reply back: I can't wait to see you too ♥️

She sighed as she put her phone away and diverted her attention back to her computer. Now, she just had to tackle the massive Excel spreadsheet in front of her and the rest of her work day.

***

That evening, Heather stood in front of her mirror as she smoothed her hair and got ready for her dinner date with Alejandro. She swung open her wardrobe door and did a careful scan; she had a large collection of her favorite red dresses, but today she decided to go for a different color. Eventually, she opted for a navy blue maxi dress with spaghetti straps paired with black heels, and completed the look with a gentle smokey-eye make up.

Literally one minute after she had finished getting ready, the doorbell rang, signalling that Alejandro had arrived.

Perfect timing, she thought to herself and smiled.

She lifted the bottom of her dress and then happily raced down the stairs to open the door.

Alejandro stood at the door, holding a bouquet of red roses, and wearing a black suit with a navy blue shirt.

"You look stunning, mi amor," he breathed as he handed the roses to her and placed a kiss on her cheek.

"You don't look too bad yourself, Mr Burromuerto," Heather smirked. "How come you're not wearing your usual red shirt?"

"I thought I'd change it up a little," Alejandro grinned. "How come you're not wearing red also? Not that I'm complaining, because you could be wearing a potato sack and still look like you could take on the world."

"Way to ruin a romantic moment," Heather rolled her eyes. "But to answer your question, I thought I'd change it up a little too," she added with a tiny giggle.

"I guess that makes us unintentionally matching," Alejandro smirked again.

"Great minds think alike," Heather agreed.

Alejandro took her hand and they made their way together down the elevator and to Alejandro's car.

Once they arrived at their dinner destination, Heather gasped as soon as she saw the name of the fancy Japanese restaurant Alejandro had taken her. "Wait, how did you know I've been wanting to try out the food at this place?"

"Because I've seen you look through the menu on their website three times already," Alejandro chuckled.

"You remembered that?" Heather asked him, as she shyly cocked her head to the side.

"Sí. It's the little things, mi amor," he gently whispered.

Heather could feel her heart melt with happiness at the thought that someone cared about her like that, let alone the fact that it was Alejandro. In the time since they'd begun dating, Alejandro had always made thoughtful gestures towards her. He stuck to his promises, and when he said something, he wouldn't just say it; he'd also show her that he meant it.

"Shall we?" Alejandro said as he held out his arm. Heather nodded and linked her arm with his. The two of them walked inside the restaurant, where a waiter led them to a nice table facing the window with a view to the city landscape.

"I'm going to get the 'Tokyo ramen'," Alejandro decided as he flipped through the menu.

"You've decided already?" Heather rested her head on her chin. "This is like the fourth time I'm reading through their menu and I still can't decide."

"Take your time," Alejandro chuckled.

Several minutes later, Heather decided on her order.

The waiter eventually brought them their food, and they continued their conversation.

Whilst in the middle of their meals, a young woman wearing a miniskirt walked past their table; she paused to stare at Alejandro for a moment, studying him closely before her eyes widened.

"Oh my god, Ryan?! I haven't seen you in so long, we should totally get a drink sometime! I totally missed you!" she exclaimed. She then started winking at him and batting her eyelashes.

"Um, hello and excuse me? I don't know who Ryan is, but my boyfriend is taken," Heather immediately retorted as she glared at the blonde.

The woman frowned and kept her gaze on Alejandro. "But it's you! You came up to me at the VIP airport lounge earlier this year. You complimented my jewellery and you spoke in Spanish and you told me that you'd love to see me again, and oh my god, I remember we—"

"Look, I'm sorry about what happened in the past but I have no interest in seeing you again," Alejandro quickly interrupted. "Please leave my girlfriend and I alone."

The woman's eyes widened. "Whatever," she scoffed and angrily walked away.

"Who was that?" Heather raised a brow at Alejandro and folded her arms.

Alejandro let out a light chuckle. "Jealous, are we, mi amor?"

Heather's eyes only glared daggers at him as she took another bite of her food. "You better have a valid explanation for this, Ryan."

"Ok, sí, this isn't the time for jokes," Alejandro quickly said. "So that was Patricia Smith, daughter of Robert Smith, who is the owner of Luxe Jewellers."

Heather's eyes instantly widened and she put down her chopsticks, her face tainted with curiosity.

"I used to pretend to be someone else and approach women from rival companies. I would often use a different fake name each time...Ryan, Justin, Jacob, Xavier, you name it. I'd flirt with them and do whatever it would take to try to dig out insider information from them to take back to my father. Most of them eventually managed to put two and two together afterwards but Patricia just then clearly hasn't," Alejandro continued.

Heather listened in amusement. "They all sound like fuckboy names. Particularly the name Justin, it kind of reminds me of this guy from my high school."

Alejandro sighed as he played around with his chopsticks. "I'm not particularly proud of it."

Heather looked closely at him as she leaned slightly forward in her seat. "So what changed?"

"I met you," Alejandro said, his voice breathless as he stared into Heather's grey eyes, leaving a blush to form on her cheeks.

We've been dating for a few weeks now but he still makes me feel all these feelings I never knew could exist, she thought.

She then picked up the glass of water on her side of the table and lifted it to her mouth to take a sip.

"Mi amor, your glass is empty," Alejandro chuckled.

Heather froze as she slowly put down the glass.

"I knew that, Alejandro," Heather said. "I was just testing to see if you were paying attention."

"The only thing I'm paying attention to right now is the way you say my name," Alejandro whispered in a husky voice, causing her cheeks to turn a rosy pink again.

Ugh, that handsome jerk needs to pay for making me blush literally every single damn time, she thought, before a playful smile formed on her lips.

"Alejandro," Heather said his name in a sultry tone.

"Yes, Heather?" Alejandro smirked as he leaned forward.

"You have something on your face," Heather remarked.

"Qué?" Alejandro's eyes widened and Heather tried to refrain her giggles as she watched him scramble to take his phone out and open the camera app.

"I don't see anything," Alejandro said several moments later, a confused look on his face.

"Really? It's actually kind of obvious," Heather coolly responded.

As Alejandro opened his phone camera again, this time, Heather couldn't help the laughter that came out of her mouth.

Alejandro immediately realized that Heather had only been joking. He abruptly got up from his seat and walked over to where Heather was seated. He then began to tickle her.

"This is for pranking me," he chuckled.

"Hey! S-stop, we're in public, jerk," Heather protested between laughter, whilst she rapidly squirmed around in her chair. "Look- people are staring."

"You're like a cute worm when you move around like that," Alejandro smirked.

"Ew. Did you seriously just compare me to a bug?" Heather scoffed.

"Ok, ok, I'll stop teasing you," Alejandro laughed as he made his way back to his seat. "Now that I know what your weak spot is, I'll keep that in mind for next time."

"Try that again, and next time there will actually be something on your face," Heather countered.

"Is that a threat?" Alejandro straightened in his seat and smirked.

"Maybe, maybe not, guess we'll have to see, huh, Alejandro?" Heather drummed her fingers on the table and repeated his name in the same sultry tone she used earlier.

"Your threats are almost as cute as when your cheeks blush."

"Ugh!"

Cue Heather's red cheeks.

They continued their banter for the next while. Once they both finished eating, Alejandro paid for the bill and then they walked together to his car again.

"That meal was so good," Heather sighed happily as Alejandro started up the engine.

"We definitely have to go back again sometime," Alejandro nodded in agreement as he reversed out in the parking lot, with one hand on the steering wheel.

"I can't believe the night is over already," Heather groaned. "I don't want to go home yet."

A smile formed on Alejandro's lips. "Actually, there is somewhere else I'd love to take you."

Heather's eyes instantly lit up. "Wait, you actually have something else planned? What is it? Where are we going? Have we been there before or is it a new place?" She was suddenly acting like an excited puppy.

"It's a surprise," Alejandro smirked.

"Ugh," Heather groaned as she leaned back on her car seat and folded her arms.

"Don't worry, it shouldn't be too long of a drive," Alejandro chuckled as he turned to look at her. The way she purses her lips is still so cute, he thought.

***

"This is it," Alejandro said, once they had arrived at their destination and gotten out of his car. "We're here."

"Wow, this is so beautiful," Heather remarked as she took in the view in front of her.

Alejandro had taken them to a park which had a stunning view of the city skyline. The beautiful night city landscape radiated all sorts of vibrant colors, and the starry night sky twinkled and shone, illuminating a relaxed ambience and sense of tranquillity. What made it even better was the fact that there was no one else currently there, meaning they had the place all to themselves.

"This was my mother's favorite spot," Alejandro said as he sat down on the grass. Heather joined him and sat cross-legged next to him.

She found herself wondering whether Alejandro had previously taken anyone else here, but decided against asking him.

"I've never brought anyone else here," Alejandro gently said, as if reading her mind. Heather turned and smiled at him.

"Mamá used to come here all the time for the view, and now this has become a place I go to whenever I'm stressed from work and just need some time alone...time alone from José especially. I still can't believe I have to see him everyday at work."

"Ugh, siblings can seriously be so annoying," Heather folded her arms as her mind trailed to her own brothers and sisters.

She then turned to gaze Alejandro in his emerald green eyes. "You know, she would be so proud of you," she softly said moments later. "Your mother."

"You really think so?" Alejandro cocked his head to the side.

"Sí," said Heather.

"Your Spanish is so cute," Alejandro smirked.

"Are you making fun of me?" Heather gave him a playful shove.

"I wouldn't dare do such a thing, mi reina," Alejandro protested, to which Heather let out a laugh.

Alejandro beamed; one of his favorite things in the world was seeing Heather smile and laugh. "But on a serious note, it means the world to me hearing that come from you," he added in a gentle voice.

Heather smiled and inched closer towards him.

Suddenly, she noticed that Alejandro's face was in deep thought, as if he were thinking of something else and hesitating.

"Alejandro, is everything ok?" Heather gently asked.

"It's my father's birthday coming up soon and he's having a party at home," he began and then paused for a moment. "I was wondering—"

Heather could see where this was going.

"Does he know that we're together?" Heather asked.

"Sí," Alejandro nodded as he turned to look at her. "He didn't really say anything, but it's always rare for him to say more than a few words."

Heather gave him a tiny smile as she reached for his hand. "I mean, I know we're business competitors or whatever, but that doesn't mean I can't or wouldn't love to get to know your family."

"Really?" Alejandro asked, his voice shaky and breathless.

Heather gave him a reassuring nod. "So yes, if you're inviting me to your dad's birthday, I'd love to come with you."

"I'd love that," Alejandro smiled. "Thank you, mi ángel."

There was silence for the next few minutes, but it was a comfortable silence, with the two simply taking in the view and enjoying each other's presence and company.

"I'm in love with you," Alejandro suddenly whispered as he turned around and gazed lovingly into Heather's eyes. "Every little inch of you."

Heather felt her heart skip a beat. "I'm in love with you too, jerk," she smiled as she laced her fingers in his and leaned forward to place a kiss on his lips, which he deepened as he wrapped his arms tightly around her.

When they broke apart from the kiss, Heather snuggled in Alejandro's chest and watched the starry night sky and vibrant, colorful city landscape with him, feeling a warmth envelop her entire body.

For a long time, she'd seen the world in mainly plain black and white.

She focused only on her business and career; she didn't think that true love would be in sight.

But then he came along and he showed her the stars.

With him she felt that she didn't have to hide her scars.

They were two passionate souls,

And together, they'd certainly kick goals.

She was used to being alone and on her own,

But now, she had finally found her home.

---

A/N - so I felt inspired to have a go at writing a little poem to finish off this chapter :P

In the next chapter a hidden secret will be discovered...what do we think is going to happen?? (PS it's unrelated to Nathan)

Stay tuned and thanks for reading!

Side note - I'm in love with Taylor Swift's new album 'Midnights', I've had it on repeat whilst I write and do work <3 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2K 124 28
the story is just a joke and to have fun! If you read this, please consider going to therapy and take me with you πŸ˜ƒ
11.4K 224 21
After total drama ends, everyone from total drama island, world tour, and revenge of the island head back to school. They all must deal with each oth...
25.6K 490 31
first time making a story It's also a test so see for future projects so yea.
1.1M 36K 62
π’π“π€π‘π†πˆπ‘π‹ ──── ❝i just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!❞ 𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆπ‚π‡ jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...