the marriage stone (Discontin...

By Ace-Morningstar

To avoid the machinations of the minestry, Harry must marry a reluctant Severus Snape. But marriage to snape... More

chapter 1
chapter 2- with this ring
chapter 3 - Dungeon Dwellers
chapter 4 - facing the world
chapter 5 - Dark Marks
chapter 6 - Life With Snape
Chapter 7 - The Binds that Tie
Chapter 8 All the Kings Men
Chapter 9 - Dog Star
Chapter 10 - Swords and Arrows
Chapter 11 - Confronting Gryffindors
Chapter 12 - Placing Blame
Chapter 13 - Understanding Werewolves
Chap 14 Returning to Normal
Chapter 15 - Manners
Chapter 16 - Meeting the In-Laws
Chapter 17 - Thorns
Chapter 18 Heart of the Maze
Chapter 19 Bonds
Chapter 20 - Sinistra
Chapter 21 - Serpents
Chapter 22 - Family
Chapter 23 Wolves
Chapter 24 History Lessons
Chapter 25 Christmas Eve
Chapter 26 Christmas Presents
Chapter 27 Before the Storm
Chapter 28 Viking
Chapter 29 Understanding Duty
Chapter 30 Pursuit
Chapter 31 Drawing Closer
Chapter 32 Growing Pains
Chapter 33 Tall Tales
Chapter 34 To Sleep
Chapter 35 Into the Breach
Chapter 36 Carrying the Stone
Chap 37 - The Other Side
Chapter 38 - Politics
Chapter 39 - Family Honor
Chapter 40 - The Madness of the Wolf
Chapter 41 - Feral
Chapter 42 - Lemon Drops
Chapter 43 What are Friends For
Chapter 44 To Sleep
Chapter 45 - Dragon Taming
Chapter 46 - Seeing Red
Chapter 47 - Cedo
Chapter 48 Wolf at the Door
Chapter 49 - Dancing
Chapter 50 What Dreams May Come
Chapter 51 - Grand Gestures
Chapter 52 - Valentine
Chapter 53 - Polite Affections
Chapter 54 Waking Moony
Chapter 55 - Legal Maneuvers
Chapter 56 - Chess Pieces
Chapter 57 - Seeing the Obvious
Chapter 58 - The Meaning of Things
Chapter 59 - Something Wicked
Chapter 60 - The King's Voice
Chapter 61 - The Calling
Chapter 62 - Stonehenge
Chapter 63 - The Heart that Bleeds
Chapter 64 - The Rest of the World
Chapter 65 - Woolgathering
Chapter 66 - Synesthesia
Chapter 67- Sharp Edges
Chapter 68 The Pursuit of Power
Chapter 70 - The Price of Valor
Chapter 71 - The Things That Matter
Chapter 72 Moving Forward
Chapter 73 - The Way the World Ends
Chapter 74 - The Setting Sun
Chapter 75 - Brave New World
Chapter 76 - The Undeserving
Chapter 77 - Ancient History
A/N
Authors note

Chapter 69 Down this Road

1K 54 3
By Ace-Morningstar

Lucius, still standing on the main floor on the far side of the chamber, felt a strange pulse of magic move through the room as Potter joined him on the floor. A shiver of anticipation went through him, and he wondered if anyone else had felt the sensation - certainly every eye in the room was riveted on the slender, green-eyed young man before them. Instead of a traditional robe he was wearing a dark red surcoat, the color proclaiming his Gryffindor heritage, and despite the seriousness of the situation Lucius could not help the way his eyes roamed over the young man's slender form. It was not the male shape that so completely captivated him but rather the power he could feel contained inside his form. How had Severus Snape of all people come to be in possession of such a creature - Lucius felt the envy stir inside him once again.

Potter stared momentarily down at the floor, his head cocked to one side as if listening to something in the stillness. And then he raised his head and swept his gaze over the room, pausing on Diana Brand. "Lady Brand, do you want this position?" he asked quietly, surprising everyone. They had expected him to merely confirm or deny the seats.

Diana glanced briefly over at her husband who was grinning in amusement at the turn of events. The almost fanatical devotion of the Winter Lands to young Potter had become public knowledge over the last several months. "I have it on good authority that the Winter Lands would be willing to renegotiate several trade agreements if I hold this seat," Diana informed him.

Potter nodded his head as if he had guessed her response. "Then the seat is yours," he said simply.

Marlot leaped to his feet in outrage, but before he could utter a single word, Potter turned and pinned him with his gaze. From his position Lucius could see that there was no anger in Potter's face, but rather a quiet curiosity. Marlot stared at the young man in shock, seemingly stunned to silence despite the fact that no spell was uttered. A moment later he sank back down into his seat without protest. At this Lucius felt a shiver of fear run down his spine - this was unexpected.

Potter turned then toward Merik Volpine - at eighty years old, the silver-haired man was believed to be the oldest werewolf currently alive, and had made no secret of his condition. Despite his disease he was remarkably hale looking.

"It's good to see you again, sir," Potter remarked and Lucius frowned at the exchange. Volpine was a recluse - as far as he knew Potter would have had no opportunity to have met the man. A sudden thought occurred to him, and he frowned, reevaluated the old man sitting before them. He'd seen the brief duel the man had engaged in yesterday - his opponent had been a rather vicious, former Auror who had made a career of hunting down various Dark Creatures. Volpine had taken him out with a single curse. Was it possible that Volpine had been one of the numerous Wizards to have been Called? If that were the case Lucius was glad he had not thought to challenge him.

"You as well," Volpine returned Potter's greeting with a wolfish grin.

"It is your intention that Remus Lupin hold this seat?" Potter asked.

"It is," Volpine nodded in agreement.

At that Potter turned toward a rather nervous looking Remus Lupin. Lucius doubted he was the only one who saw the way Lupin's left hand twitched as if he was having difficulty preventing himself from reaching out and taking hold of the hand of Sirius Black beside him.

"It wasn't so long ago, Remus, that you were in this chamber defending your right to exist," Potter stated, and at his words several people shifted uncomfortably at the reminder. Indeed Lucius did not think the reminder bode well for him at all. "Indeed for the rights of all Werewolves to exist. I think you more than anyone will agree that such a law must be changed." His words sparked a murmur of dissent which spread through the room, but Lucius noticed the approving grin on Dumbledore's face.

Werewolves, he thought with distaste. What would be next? Mudbloods. . .Lucius cut off the thought. He supposed if he was going to attempt to align himself with Potter he would have to curb such thoughts. A misplaced word could cause great difficulty for him in the days ahead.

"You could do a lot of good here, Remus," Potter continued. "Will you accept this position?"

A number of emotions flicked across Lupin's face before he swallowed nervously and finally nodded his head. Black reached out then and grasped Lupin's hand in his own.

Potter smiled faintly at that. "Then it is yours," he confirmed before turning his attention toward Valerian Ventus who sat beside Volpine. Ventus had been a Slytherin a year ahead of Lucius at Hogwarts. Lucius couldn't help but wonder how he had become an agent for a Vampire Lord. As far as he had known, the Ventus family had no ties with the Vampire clans. Considering the laws against Vampires, there were few Slytherins who would be willing to so openly align themselves with one.

"You hold this seat for Lord Aventine?" Potter asked.

Grinning as if fascinated by the events playing out before him, Ventus nodded. "I do."

Surprisingly Potter stepped away from him, turning instead to face the cloaked and hooded figure seated in the back row of the viewing gallery. At his actions, the stranger raised his hands and pushed back the hood of his cloak, revealing dark hair, a pale but handsome face, and the red eyes of a Vampire.

At the sight, shouts of alarm echoed through the room and a dozen wands were drawn, mirroring the events of a few weeks ago when Remus Lupin had transformed in front of everyone. This time it was Potter's shout of "No!" that stayed their hands. Aventine never flinched, his glowing gaze remaining fixed on Potter.

"Put your wands away!" Potter ordered into the panicked silence that fell over the room. He had turned his head and was direct his words specifically to Darmut. Lucius noticed Stark and several other Aurors in the viewing gallery watching the exchange uncertainly. Darmut's face hardened as Potter held his gaze, but after a long tense moment he lowered his hand, slipping his wand back into his holster. He nodded to his men to do the same. For the moment, peace returned and Potter turned his attention back to the Vampire waiting for him.

"When I heard your name I thought it might have been you I met the other night," Potter said to the Vampire, and Lucius felt the bitter tightening of his jaw. Aventine, like Volpine, had also been Called - two Dark Creatures, and unlike him, they had been free to answer the Call. How had he come to this place, pushed aside by the impure?

"I thought perhaps the time for neutrality had passed," Aventine remarked and his words caused nervous reactions throughout the room. Neutrality, Lucius wondered. What did he mean?

"I said to you the other night that I would ask nothing of you that you would not freely give," Potter told him. "And I will stand by that. But today it is you making the request. I confess I know little about the laws governing Vampires, but if they are anything like the laws governing Werewolves, I can not imagine that you or your people have been kindly treated by the Wizarding World, or that you hold us in any affection. Any exchange between us would require a great leap of faith. What is it you want?"

Potter's words alarmed many people in the room, but Lucius could clearly see the spark of amusement in Aventine's eyes. He seemed pleased by Potter's words. "Four hundred years ago there was man named Silvius Ventus. He was a Potions Master, from a prominent Slytherin family, and a known Parselmouth. He had made a number of research breakthroughs in potions that could potentially aid my people. But when the laws against Vampires were passed his researched was abandoned. His notes were taken by the Potion Makers Guild and locked away. It has taken me years but have finally gotten my hands on those research notes. Unfortunately they are written in Parseltongue, and I can not read them. I want those notes translated, and I want the Guild to continue the research."

They could all hear the passion in Aventine's voice as he spoke and Lucius found himself bewildered by it. He had always been led to believe that Vampires reveled in their curse - why would they seek so desperately for a cure?According to the Ministry books, Vampires were little more than mindless creature who sought to spread their infection to the rest of the world.

"There is another who can translate those notes," Potter reminded the Vampire, and though he did not speak the Dark Lord's name his words sent a shudder of awareness through the room.

Aventine smiled faintly at that, his eyes flashing. "I do not trust the other," he said simply, and though he said no more they all understood the implication behind his words.

Potter glanced over his shoulder at Severus Snape, his green eyes holding some silent question. Severus inclined his head once in agreement, and Potter smiled, turning back toward Aventine. "I will translate the notes for you," he stated. "And while I do not speak for the Guild, I can promise you that at least one world-renowned Potion Master will continue your research."

"In exchange for this seat?" Aventine asked curiously, sparing Severus a brief glance. His eyes flicked toward Lupin - no doubt he was aware of who had cured the man of his Lycanthropy.

Potter cocked his head at that. "No," he said surprising them all. "You will have the translation and the research regardless of what is decided here today. As for the seat - it is yours provided you can deal fairly with Ministry despite the injustice they have dealt your people. It is my hope that like Remus Lupin and Merick Volpine you intend to seek equality for your people."

"That is my hope," Aventine agreed and they could all see the look of quiet amazement in his burning eyes as he stared down at the young man before him.

"And what if told you, that though he does not know it yet, I intend to have Lucius Malfoy become a champion for your cause?" Harry asked, and his words cause a stir of shock to move though the room. Lucius stared at the young man in disbelief. What in Merlin's name was he talking about? He found himself turning to look at Severus for an explanation only to find that the dark-eyed man looked just as bewildered. Indeed the looks of shock on Lupin's and Black's faces were almost comical.

Aventine however smiled in mirth. "I would say that I am aware of Lord Malfoy's skill and abilities and would count myself well served."

"Then the seat is yours," Potter replied, though he glanced at Albus for confirmation. "Does holding a position on the Wizengamot give him full citizenship rights or will we need to deal with that as well?"

Dumbledore, who seemed less shocked and more amazed by the proceedings, just nodded his head. "As a member of the Wizengamot his rights are assured," he told him, and Potter smiled in acceptance.

Potter turned then toward Lucius and as those green eyes studied his face Lucius felt a sense a of panic well up in his heart. For the first time today he wondered if he had badly miscalculated by coming here - but no, perhaps there was still a chance to salvage this day. If Potter wanted him to promise to champion the cause of Vampires and Werewolves and Puppies, who was he to protest? Merlin knew he was an expert at promising things he did not mean.

And yet . . .Severus would have warned him of this? Why would Potter take such a chances - why would he even think to give him this opportunity after all the things he had done to him and his family? Had he done something to sway him? Did he hold some previously unknown fascination or attraction over Potter that he had been unaware of? If the look of anger on Severus' face was any indication, it was possible that he did. He wondered suddenly if he might be able to manipulate things in such a way as to gain even more than the seat on the Wizengamot he desired.

"Well, Mr. Malfoy," Potter said suddenly. "It would seem you have a decision to make."

A decision - the boy was offering a deal. Why in Merlin's name would he trust him with such a thing? It made no sense. . .and yet, Lucius was not one to ignore a golden opportunity. If no one was going to speak out and warn the boy, he certainly wasn't going to refuse.

He was careful about choosing his next words - vague promises were always the best ones. "You wish me to aid Lord Aventine in exchange-"

"No, Mr. Malfoy," Potter cut him off before he could continued. "There is no deal laid before you. There is no exchange being offered - a seat for a favor."

Lucius frowned. Had he misread the situation? "I don't understand." Surely it was a bargain Potter was after?

Potter gazed in silence at him for a long moment, and he grew uncomfortable under that stare, as if he were being sized up in a way he had never experienced before. "There is path before you, Mr. Malfoy," he said, and his voice held a strange certainty. "It has a appeared before you before, several times, but you have never set foot upon it. It is here before you once more, one last time. It will not appear again."

Potter crossed the room as he spoke, pausing to stand in the center of the chamber. Lucius shivered as he listened, watching him in utter disbelief. What in Merlin's name was he talking about? A tendril of fear crept up his spine and into his heart - why did those words sound so ominous, so final? Across the room he could see Severus, Lupin and Black staring hard at Potter, as if trying to warn him without words not to continue.

"A path?" Lucius asked in bewilderment. If the young man wanted him to promise something in exchange - fine. But he needed to know what it was he was promising - how else was he to work this to his advantage. He didn't know what to do with riddles.

"I know why you are here, Mr. Malfoy," Potter told him, and for a moment Lucius felt as if he'd been stripped bare, as if the Dark Mark upon his arm was visible for all to see. "I know what you want. And it is not power, prestige, or Ancient Magicks no matter what lies you tell yourself."

The fear in Lucius' heart grew, overwhelming him. Could the young man read his mind? How had he known the very thoughts that consumed him? Despite all his training and the years spent mastering himself, he found himself involuntarily taking a step back.

"If you go seeking elsewhere for what you want you will find nothing," Potter told him, and Lucius was no longer able to look away from those green eyes that burned him. And though Potter was gazing straight at him, he was no longer certain if the young man was truly seeing him. There was a power in his voice that permeated the room; it warmed the air, made it feel alive.

"I know what you want, Mr. Malfoy. I can see it, there before you, it lies down this path. But I must warn you, if you set foot upon this road, you will never step off of it. It will change you, it will hold you, and you will never go back to what you knew before."

They were all staring at him now, every man and women in the room, speechless as if they were listening to the voice of destiny. And perhaps they were - for Lucius could not ever remember feeling so alone in his life. Every plot, every manipulation, every lie he held in his mind abandoned him, leaving his mind empty, quiet, like the darkness waiting for the first ray of daylight.

Potter let out a soft breath and bowed his head before glancing up at Dumbledore. The old wizard had removed his glasses and was staring at the young man with a look of amazement, as if he'd never seen him before. Whatever it was the young man was seeking in his old mentor, he did not seem to find it, for he sighed and turned away, his gaze once again turning toward Lucius.

"There is your seat, Mr. Malfoy," he said, raising his hand and pointing to one of the empty chairs beside Madam Bones. "Take it or leave. I will not make this decision for you."

Mind still blank, numb, Lucius found himself looking around at the others, seeking answers on their faces. Most of the men and women in the room were staring at Potter in confused silence, most seeming stunned - for though Potter was no longer speaking they could all still feel his words vibrating in the air. Severus, Lupin and Black were glaring at Lucius, staring hard at him as if willing him to turn away, willing him to leave their presence. And Dumbledore, his old Headmaster, was staring at him with a look of astonishment that was waring with equal parts disbelief.

It occurred to Lucius in that instant that they did not want him to do this things - whatever this task Potter had laid before him - they did not want him to do it. They did not believe him capable of doing it - and he felt a momentary surge of such rage inside him that he thought for a moment that he was trapped back in that awful instant when he'd realized he could not answer the Call. He could kill them! Kill them all! And prove to the Wizarding World once and for all that Lucius Malfoy did not need anyone!

'If you go seeking elsewhere for what you want you will find nothing' - Potter's words echoed through his mind. Nothing. . .had he meant that literally, that there was nothing else for him? That if he walked out that door, there would be nothing beyond? Is this all that awaited him - to join these disbelievers who would vilify him, or nothing?

But no, Potter had said he could see what he wanted, could see it there before him, and staring into those burning green eyes Lucius could believe it utterly. He had no idea what it was Potter saw, he had no idea what it was that he apparently wanted - how had he come to this? To not even know his own mind, his own desires? But Potter knew, and had shown him the path he needed to walk to find it. Though every other gaze in the room glared at him, there was no censure in Potter's eyes - despite the fact that he had given him every cause in the world to hate him. Potter knew, and was giving him a chance - one last chance. 'It is here before you once more, one last time. It will not appear again.'

Whatever this was - this chance, this path, this quest - it had nothing to do with the others in the room. Lucius could not allow them to make the decision for him. He had come here to play his usual games, to pull the strings of the puppets around him, and had instead found himself in a foreign place, standing utterly alone before a dark-haired, green-eyed king, who asked the impossible of him.

He took a step forward, and then another and another, mounting the stairs and stepping onto the high gallery platform. A leap of faith, he thought. It would change him, it would hold him. He did not know how, but he believed Potter was correct - he would not go back to what he knew before. Reaching the chair beside Madam Bones, he sat down, raising his head proudly and meeting the emerald gaze that had just ripped something open inside him.

"Welcome, Lord Malfoy," the boy said kindly, and smiling, Lucius inclined his head to his king.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 8 33
I do not own the characters, apart from the ones, I created. What I most love in J.K. Rowling is that she created a whole new universe for me. This...
10.8K 138 40
Isla Rose Snape the daughter of none other than Professor Severus Snape tells her story of her adventures with Draco Lucius Malfoy. A truly heartwarm...
27.7K 897 25
Shes in love, madly in love with the wrong person. A person who cant give her what she wants. NO wont give her what she wants. Hermione Jean Granger...
49.4K 2.7K 56
Part one of a two part story. A different tale of what could have happened following the aftermath at Malfoy Manor. The trio has been broken, new pla...