the marriage stone (Discontin...

Od Ace-Morningstar

To avoid the machinations of the minestry, Harry must marry a reluctant Severus Snape. But marriage to snape... Viac

chapter 1
chapter 2- with this ring
chapter 3 - Dungeon Dwellers
chapter 4 - facing the world
chapter 5 - Dark Marks
chapter 6 - Life With Snape
Chapter 7 - The Binds that Tie
Chapter 8 All the Kings Men
Chapter 9 - Dog Star
Chapter 10 - Swords and Arrows
Chapter 11 - Confronting Gryffindors
Chapter 12 - Placing Blame
Chapter 13 - Understanding Werewolves
Chap 14 Returning to Normal
Chapter 15 - Manners
Chapter 16 - Meeting the In-Laws
Chapter 17 - Thorns
Chapter 18 Heart of the Maze
Chapter 19 Bonds
Chapter 20 - Sinistra
Chapter 21 - Serpents
Chapter 22 - Family
Chapter 23 Wolves
Chapter 24 History Lessons
Chapter 25 Christmas Eve
Chapter 26 Christmas Presents
Chapter 27 Before the Storm
Chapter 28 Viking
Chapter 29 Understanding Duty
Chapter 30 Pursuit
Chapter 31 Drawing Closer
Chapter 32 Growing Pains
Chapter 33 Tall Tales
Chapter 34 To Sleep
Chapter 35 Into the Breach
Chapter 36 Carrying the Stone
Chap 37 - The Other Side
Chapter 38 - Politics
Chapter 39 - Family Honor
Chapter 40 - The Madness of the Wolf
Chapter 41 - Feral
Chapter 42 - Lemon Drops
Chapter 43 What are Friends For
Chapter 44 To Sleep
Chapter 45 - Dragon Taming
Chapter 46 - Seeing Red
Chapter 47 - Cedo
Chapter 48 Wolf at the Door
Chapter 49 - Dancing
Chapter 50 What Dreams May Come
Chapter 51 - Grand Gestures
Chapter 52 - Valentine
Chapter 53 - Polite Affections
Chapter 54 Waking Moony
Chapter 56 - Chess Pieces
Chapter 57 - Seeing the Obvious
Chapter 58 - The Meaning of Things
Chapter 59 - Something Wicked
Chapter 60 - The King's Voice
Chapter 61 - The Calling
Chapter 62 - Stonehenge
Chapter 63 - The Heart that Bleeds
Chapter 64 - The Rest of the World
Chapter 65 - Woolgathering
Chapter 66 - Synesthesia
Chapter 67- Sharp Edges
Chapter 68 The Pursuit of Power
Chapter 69 Down this Road
Chapter 70 - The Price of Valor
Chapter 71 - The Things That Matter
Chapter 72 Moving Forward
Chapter 73 - The Way the World Ends
Chapter 74 - The Setting Sun
Chapter 75 - Brave New World
Chapter 76 - The Undeserving
Chapter 77 - Ancient History
A/N
Authors note

Chapter 55 - Legal Maneuvers

1.5K 65 5
Od Ace-Morningstar

Remus and Sirius while the three of them waited for Dumbledore and Severus to join them. Harry desperately wanted to talk to both Remus and Sirius - separately. But he suspected it would be a while yet before he found any time with either of them alone. He could see that something major had changed in their relationship - they were sitting on a couch together, which in itself was not unusual. But the fact that the fingers of their hands, which were resting on the couch cushion, were intertwined was very telling indeed.

It didn't surprise him in the slightest, this change in their relationship. Not after everything the two of them had gone through. But he was burning with curiosity to know more. He just didn't want to talk to them together - somehow the idea of asking them something so personal in front of both them was too embarrassing to contemplate. Especially since he had very different questions for each.

Because of the whole werewolf thing, he knew Remus had been as inexperienced about things as Harry himself was. He wanted to know how 'it' had been - though he guessed asking someone he considered a father figure something like that would probably be awkward in the extreme.

As for Sirius - he wanted to know if he was happy now, content in such an exclusive relationship after having lived a more active life prior to this. Of course he didn't suppose he would ever get the courage up to ask either of them any such things. Instead he was left to simply grin like an idiot at the two of them because he was so happy they were finally together. So happy that the two of them looked so content in their relationship with one another.

As often happened these days his mind drifted to Severus. Ever since that night when he'd kissed him, things had been awkward between them. He found himself thinking about that kiss at odd moments during the day, replaying it in his mind so often that he was fairly certain by now that he'd blown the whole thing out of proportion. It couldn't possibly mean all the things he had imagined it might mean. Had Severus been jealous - didn't seem likely that a man like Severus Snape would be jealous of someone like Lavender Brown. Nor did it seem likely that he would be jealous over Harry. That would imply a much stronger degree of affection.

But no, it didn't have to be affection, he reasoned. It could simply be possessiveness, or a sense of propriety or decorum, or possibly just concern about their reputation. He'd certainly been angry - he'd been shouting at him after all. It could be any of those things - or none of them. Harry was thinking like a Gryffindor, and Severus was a Slytherin. Who knew why Slytherins did the things they did?

And then most troubling of all was the fact that Severus had failed to answer his question about whether or not he was seeing anyone. That more than anything else twisted Harry's thoughts inside his head - it was possible he supposed that Severus was a having a Slytherin moment of hypocrisy, reading into Harry interaction with the Gryffindor girls some sin he himself had committed.

Confused as he was, Harry had been left with only one alternative - spying. He began spying on the man - well as much as it was possible to spy on a person who'd actually BEEN a spy for real. Mostly he just watched him around the other teachers, trying to figure out which one of them - if any - he might secretly be seeing. There weren't many candidates to choose from. Sinistra was the only single teacher of suitable age, and as far as he knew Severus was about twenty years too old to interest her.

McGonagall was out of the question - single yes, but too old and stuffy. Trelawney didn't even bear thinking about. Madam Hooch was a distinct possibility - she was quite a bit older than Severus, but she was still fit and attractive, and Severus enjoyed sword fighting with her. Harry had watched several of their sparing matches over the last few months. Hooch was married, however, which made her an unlikely match. But then again after everything he'd learned, perhaps marriage was no deterrent at all?

And if he was ruling out marriage as a deterrent, he supposed he'd have to consider the two Vectors - Professor Vector was very attractive, and her husband, who worked at Gringotts, equally so. Either one of them could be a possibility. Or both. . .though Harry had a hard time getting his mind around that concept. There was a rumor floating around Gryffindor Tower about someone in Hufflepuff being involved in a threesome, but most of the students had dismissed it as hearsay - how likely was that for a Hufflepuff?

Regardless, Harry had not yet seen any behavior that would lead him to believe that Severus had any interest in his fellow professors. And he was never around anyone else - except on Hogsmeade weekends.

Harry no longer went to Hogsmeade, not since the day he'd been attack so many months ago. The risk was too great - and with the press always lying in wait for him, it would be pointless to go. The only time he even stepped outside Hogwart's wards these days was for his weekly Apparating lessons, but those were done under the strict supervision of several trustworthy Aurors.

Severus, however, often left the castle on the weekends to go down to the village. Harry supposed it was entirely possible that he was meeting someone there. Either way, he was certainly being discreet about it - which had probably been the whole point Severus had been trying to make when he'd accused Harry of carrying on Lavender and Parvati.

Not that he cared of course.

He didn't.

Severus could do whatever he wanted. The fact that the thought twisted something inside Harry's stomach and made him want to kick things was completely coincidental. He didn't care at all what Severus chose to do in his private life - as long as he was discreet about it. Harry thought he was being very mature about the whole thing - stupid Slytherin!

If Severus had just answered his dumb question, he wouldn't be left wondering about such things. Not that he was going to ask again - how humiliating had that been! 'Are you having sex?' He wanted to hide in shame every time he thought about that moment.

Stupid Slytherin! The man never should have kissed him. If he hadn't kissed him, Harry wouldn't be wondering about any of this. Certainly those disturbing dreams he'd been having would not now be featuring the distinctive form of Severus Snape instead of some nameless, faceless man who'd been far easier to accept. And sword lessons had been hard enough before the incident - now they were fraught with new traps and pitfalls as he wondered each time the man touched him if there was something more behind the contact. Life would be far simpler if he could go back to the way things were before when the two of them simply hated each other - except he rather liked the idea of belonging to a family and was finding the idea of ever giving that up less and less appealing.

Stupid Slytherin!

"What are you thinking about, Harry?" Sirius voice caught him off guard and he looked up to find both Sirius and Remus staring at him curiously. "You're glaring awfully hard at your shoes. Did they do something awful?"

Harry blushed. "No, of course not," he said quickly. "I was just thinking about. . ."

"About?" Sirius prompted. "Homework? Detention? Flobberworms?"

"Summer!" Harry said, surprising both of them. "What am I going to do this summer?"

Sirius frowned at that. "Most students look forward to summer."

"I meant am I going to be going back to the Dursleys?" It was actually something Harry had thought a lot about - and considering the direction his thoughts had been going lately, it was a concern. What did Severus do during the summers? Did he hurry off to some exotic location and have affairs with mysterious people?

"You won't ever be going back to the Dursleys," Sirius said firmly, something dark flashing in his eyes. "But I don't honestly know what Snape does over the summer. It would be far safer for you to remain here at Hogwarts, especially since we have no idea what Voldemort might be up to."

Harry shivered at that. He tried not to think about Voldemort - actually he tried not to think about a lot of things these days. Like the fact that he was about to accompany Remus to the Ministry of Magic to face a formal inquiry to determine if he should be euthanised. Despite Draco's marriage to Charlie, the arrest warrant for Remus was still active - rather than risk yet another fugitive from the law, Dumbledore thought it would be best to answer the summons directly. He'd arranged a full session of the Wizengamot to meet today to deal with the issue once and for all.

"I'm not certain if Severus likes to remain in the castle or not," Remus added. "I think he typically travels during the summer. But you're right, it wouldn't be safe for Harry to do so."

Harry guessed that meant that whatever plans there might be for him during the summer, it would involve Severus. Surprisingly he felt some sense of relief at that thought. Severus' rooms down the dungeons were more home to him than anything else had ever been. And he'd miss the man if they parted for such a long period of time. Though how strange was that thought!

The door opened a moment later and both Severus and Dumbledore entered at last. Severus had a small leather satchel slung over one shoulder. Harry knew it would contain a sample of the Lycanthropy Potion as well as the formal notes he would submit with it to the Department of Potion Research. Severus would be a witness for Remus' defense at the hearing today.

"Are we ready then?" Dumbledore asked, looking over his glasses at Remus. Remus and Sirius both stood, and though they tried to hide it, Harry noticed that they gripped one another's hand more firmly. Sirius, of course, would not be going, unable to show his face in public still. Instead Harry would be accompanying Remus - they all decided that for once they would put Harry's fame to their own use. If something went wrong, Harry would use his fame to raise hell with the press.

Harry moved toward Dumbledore's private floo, Severus joining him as they allowed Sirius and Remus a brief moment to say good-bye to one another. Harry feared for Remus and the outcome of the hearing, though Dumbledore seemed confident that things would work out. He could only imagine what Sirius must be feeling being left behind, helpless to do anything to defend the man.

A glance back at the two men revealed a rather heated kissed between them, and Harry felt himself blush even as he fought down a smile. He shot a nervous glance at Severus only to discover that the man was watching him in amusement, his dark eyes taking in the color in his cheeks, missing nothing. All Harry could think about was the kiss Severus had given him and he shifted uncomfortably beneath that scrutiny. Why did Severus have to have such intense eyes, and why did every look he gave Harry seem to mock him for some youthful foolishness that he couldn't help? He momentarily contemplated kicking the man in the shins just to see his reaction to that.

Remus joined them a moment later, and Dumbledore held out the floo powder for all of them. Severus went through first, followed by Harry. Just before he tossed the powder into the fire, he glanced back at his godfather, noting the pale face and worried blue eyes. He smiled encouragingly at the man, and then flooed into the Ministry of Magic.

Severus caught hold of Harry's arm as he stumbled ungracefully out of the fireplace and into the busy transportation hallway where people were flooing in and out of the Ministry building through dozens of fireplaces lining the wall. No sooner had he righted himself, and Severus had cleaned him of soot with a wave of his wand, when the flashing of a dozen different lights bursting in his face startled him. Harry stumbled again in shock, instinctively moving closer to Severus who pulled him into his side.

Reporters with cameras swarmed toward them, despite the line of red-clad Aurors that were waiting around their floo to hold them back. It seemed word of their arrival had preceded them. Harry recognized several of the Aurors - including Connor Stark and Kingsley Shaklebolt in the mix of guards that were waiting to escort them to the Wizengamot.

"Mr. Potter!" a dozen reporters shouted at him, trying to get his attention from beyond the barricade of Aurors. He recognized many of them from the Daily Prophet and Witch Weekly - but judging by the number of reporters he suspected they must represent over a hundred different papers and magazines. Knowing that Britain didn't have that many newspapers, he guessed many of them must be from other countries - though why he would be of interest to anyone outside Britain he didn't know.

"Mr. Potter!" someone shouted. "What is your stance on the Wizarding Registration Act?"

"Mr. Potter!" another man shouted. "Do you have plans to annex any other British Protectorates?"

"Mr. Potter! Is it true you have entered negotiations with the King of France to begin trade with the Winter Lands?"

"Mr. Potter! Rumor has it you are going to give the Black Wyrms full citizenship status! Any comments?"

"Mr. Potter! Who do you support for the upcoming elections?"

"Mr. Potter! Any truth to the rumor that you are going to run for Minister of Magic?"

"Mr. Potter! Is it true you are having an affair with Pharaoh Nitocris of Egypt?"

"Mr Potter! What is your opinion of the Wand Certification Doctrine?"

"Mr. Potter! Do you support the Alliance Precedence Act?"

"Mr. Potter! Any truth to the rumors that you will be spending the summer with the Shelong brothers of the Chinese Imperium?"

As the reporters' questions grew louder, Severus stepped in front of Harry, shielding him with his body while they waited for Remus and then Dumbledore to step out of the fireplace. One glance at the situation told Dumbledore and Remus what was going on, and they both moved to Harry's side, all three men shielding him with their bodies. At a nod from Dumbledore, the Aurors closed ranks and they began moving swiftly down the hallway, ushering the four of them toward the elevators beyond. While the majority of the Aurors held back the members of the press, Shaklebolt and Stark along with two other Aurors entered the elevators with the group.

"Sorry about that," Stark remarked as he pushed the button to take them down to level ten of the Ministry of Magic where the Wizengamot was meeting.

"How did they find out that Harry would be here?" Severus demanded angrily. Harry was still trying to clear his eyes of the blinding effects of all the flash-bulbs going off in his face.

"They didn't," Stark shrugged. "They read the public docket and saw that Lupin would be in court today. They arrived on the off chance that Mr. Potter would be with them. It was easy for them to figure out what floo you were coming through - we were told by the Minister to have a large group of Aurors waiting for Lupin. We were led to believe he would not be entirely. . .rational." He glanced up and down at Remus. Remus was dressed very conservatively in an old tweed suit not unlike what he used to wear when he taught at Hogwarts - he was a far cry from the image of the leather-clad, mace-wielding warrior who had been on the front page of the Prophet all those months ago. Nonetheless the other two Aurors were eyeing him cautiously - he was a known werewolf, and their strength was legendary.

Remus just smiled pleasantly at all of them, looking as inconspicuous as possible. He did not seem offended by the scrutiny, but Harry bristled under the stares.

"As you see, Mr. Lupin is fine," Dumbledore informed them, giving the two wary Aurors a stern look from beneath his glasses. Shaklebolt, a member of the Order of the Phoenix, was unperturbed, and to date Harry had never seen anything in particular bother Stark. He had little idea where the man's loyalties were, but he'd taken most things in stride.

"So I see," Stark agreed. "There will a ward keeping the press out of the main corridor of the courtroom, and they will not be allowed into the courtroom itself. But the courtroom will be quite crowded today regardless. "

The elevator came to a stop and the door slid open. More Aurors were waiting outside along with another large group of reporters who began shouting questions as they all emerged into the hallway. They were all ushered swiftly away from the corridors toward the main entrance to the Wizengamot courtroom. While Harry, his companions and the Aurors had no problem entering the entrance hall, the reporters were all stopped short by a glowing wall of light.

"Press Wards," Shaklebolt told him quietly. "Best invention since the broomstick." The wards kept out the shouting voices as well, leaving all of them in relative silence as they approached the courtroom doors. Through other hallways and doorways men and women were coming and going - all glancing eagerly over at their group, but none stopping to talk.

Rather than lead them directly into the courtroom, Stark motioned to a door further down the hallway. "I need to take Mr. Lupin into custody and register his wand," Stark informed them. "Professor Dumbledore you are welcome to accompany him." He glanced over at Snape. "I understand you will be a witness for the defense. It's best if you're not questioned prior to the start of the hearing - Shaklebolt will remain here with you and escort you inside when they are ready to start."

The firm hand that Severus dropped onto Harry's shoulder let him know precisely whom he was supposed to remain with, but he watched in some trepidation as Remus and Dumbledore were led away by Stark and the other two Aurors. Shaklebolt just gave him an encouraging smile as he leaned causally against the stone wall of the hallway, seeming unconcerned with the events.

Harry sighed and looked away, glancing back toward the glowing wall of light at the other end of the hallway that kept the press from reaching them.

"Why are the foreign press here?" he asked Severus instead, wondering what possible interest his presence could be to the other countries of the world.

Severus' features tightened, his lips thinning as he glared down the hall at the waiting reporters. "I wouldn't let it concern you," he told Harry in a tone of voice that suggested to Harry that it DID concern him greatly. Severus was obviously extremely unhappy about their presence.

"And what's this about a Pharaoh, and who are the Shelong brothers?" Harry pressed, wondering if perhaps Severus knew more about the political climate in the rest of the world than he did. He was having a hard enough time keeping all the British news straight - between the political intrigues and new laws being passed, he didn't know what to believe any more. Since he'd returned from the Winter Lands, there had been three assassination attempts on various Minister candidates, including Cornelius Fudge. Surprisingly none of these attempts were linked to any Death Eater activities.

While Fudge was still considered a forerunner in the campaign, simply because he was the current incumbent, Madam Bones and Alexander Mulburg had pulled ahead of him in the polls. There was even a movement to start a write-in campaign to elect various Quidditch players to all the positions of authority in the Ministry - a protest-action of a people who couldn't figure out what their government was up to.

Harry looked expectantly at Severus, waiting for an answer to his question about the Pharaoh and the Shelong brothers. If anything Severus grew only more irritated, his eyes flashing with anger. "I wouldn't let it concern you," he said again.

"But why would they suggest something like that?" Harry asked, wondering where this piece of gossip had come from. When they had accused him of dating Hermione back in fourth-year, there had at least been a reason for it. He spent a lot of time with Hermione. It was easy enough to draw such conclusions. "I've never even been to Egypt or China? I've never even heard of those people." Up until recently he hadn't even been aware of the fact that Egypt still had a pharaoh - and he had no idea what the Chinese Imperium might be.

"It's just wild speculation," Severus informed him with a dark frown. "They've got nothing better to talk about so they're making things up now."

Dissatisfied with the answer, Harry sighed and leaned back against the wall near Shaklebolt. The Auror did not seem inclined to offer any suggestions either. He wondered about the other questions he'd been asked as well - the Wand Certification Doctrine, the Alliance Precedence Act. He wondered if Hermione would know what they were talking about?

More wizards and witches entered the courtroom through the main doors - most of them dressed in formal robes, and Harry was glad now that Severus had picked out his clothes for him that morning. He had thought the outfit Severus had removed from his wardrobe, too fancy - and rather archaic looking. He'd started to get used to the doublets - but today he was wearing a long sleeved silk tunic of the palest green, and dark form fitting moleskin pants and leather boots. Over that he had a sleeveless, knee length robe of dark green, the opened-front held fastened together by ornate silver clasps. Severus was dressed in a similar outfit of silver and black, and looked decidedly imposing beside him.

"Severus!" a cheerful voice greeted them a moment later, and Harry looked up to see an extremely old man in a white robe approaching them. Unlike Dumbledore he did not have a long beard but was clean-shaven, his head completely bald. As Harry had seen very few bald wizards, he suspected the man had shaved his head. Beside the old man walked a far younger man with golden hair and sharp angular features. He, like Severus, was dressed in black and silver.

"Master Dorester," Severus greeted with a very formal and respectful bow, catching Harry's attention immediately. Who ever the old man was, he was obviously someone Severus respected highly.

"Wonderful to see you, my boy!" the old man greeted, and enthusiastically shook Severus' hand. "You know my assistant of course!" he motioned to the golden-haired man beside him.

Severus turned to shake the other man's hand, and Harry noted the faint smile that touched his lips. "Of course, how are you Andre?"

More telling than Severus' smile was the bright gleam that lit up the golden-haired man's shrewd eyes. "Excellent! You're looking well, Severus," the man replied, and a shiver of . . .something. . .went through Harry's body. He narrowed his eyes thoughtfully. Andre was nearly as tall as Severus, slender in form, his angular features handsome enough. His voice was extremely cultured, his clothing very well-tailored, and he had a sharp intelligence in his eyes that reminded Harry of Hermione or McGonagall.

Politely, Severus turned toward Harry to introduce him and Harry pushed himself away from the wall to shake the hands offered. "Harry, this is Master Elliott Dorester of the Potion Makers Guild. I trained under him for several years. And this is Andre Serrent, a. . .colleague of mine." Harry heard the faint pause in Severus' voice before the word 'colleague', and noted the appraising look the blond man gave him as he shook his hand. Though Harry smiled at both strangers, and greeted them cordially, a spark of anger flared inside Harry. One thing was certain - Andre was no 'colleague'.

"My congratulations on your marriage," Master Dorester said happily, without once glancing at Harry's rather distinctive scar on his forehead - Harry felt an instant kinship with the man because of it.

"Indeed," Andre replied with a somewhat superior smile as his sharp gaze went immediately to Harry's scar. "Such a match, Severus," he smiled. "How fortunate you are."

Severus merely inclined his head in response, his expression giving nothing away.

"The word is you have an exciting announcement for us, Severus?" Dorester pressed, looking curiously at the satchel Severus still had slung over his shoulder. "Going to turn the Potions World on its head once again? Always were my brightest pupil!" He glanced over his shoulder toward the door, seeing more people entering the courtroom. "Come, Andre, we must get our seats. Come for lunch soon, Severus. I can't wait to catch up with you. Mr. Potter, a pleasure!"

The old man shook their hands again quite enthusiastically before hurry off toward the courtroom, calling on Andre to follow. Andre merely smirked, moving at a far more leisurely pace. "Yes, do come for lunch soon, Severus," he urged with a smile, before inclining his head to Harry and following after the old man.

Harry waited until they were gone from sight before speaking. "A colleague?" he asked pointedly, pushing down the emotion churning inside him. Already tensed with worry over the hearing, he felt the muscles in his shoulders knotting tightly together.

Severus gave him a sharp glance. "I met him at a potions conference last summer," he explained calmly.

Harry just glared down at the floor in response. Well, that answered the question about how Severus liked to spend his summers. Something sharp and painful twisted in Harry's chest. He noted dispassionately that he was about as far from Andre in looks and personality as he could get. The man was elegant, cultured and likely a Potion Master too boot. Intelligent then - perhaps extremely intelligent. He was also closer in age to Severus - no doubt sophisticated and worldly, and all the things Harry was not.

He didn't care, he decided with a silent growl. It was none of his business. And if he wanted to kick something violently over and over again - well it was just because. . .the press had angered him earlier. Mr. Andre Serrent could take his lunch and shove it up his. . . .Harry huffed in irritation. Yet, another thing to stop thinking about. He wasn't going to dwell on the thought that someone - anyone - might come between him and the person he was coming to see has his family. He'd learned to live without the Dursleys - he certainly didn't need Severus Snape's attention. . .Harry's heart ached at the thought. He pushed all the thoughts into the back of his mind - he wouldn't think about it. Wouldn't care.

An Auror emerged from a courtroom a moment later and nodded to Shaklebolt. Shaklebolt immediately straighten, catching Harry's and Severus' attention. "Looks like they're ready to start," he informed them both. "We'll go sit in the gallery. Albus will call you when he needs you to witness."

Harry followed Shaklebolt into the courtroom, Severus following immediately behind. Nearly every eye in the room turned toward them as they entered, the loud whispering murmurs that rushed through the room swelling. As Harry took a reserved seat on the first tier of the gallery he saw the sea of plum-colored robes of the Wizengamot officials already seated in the high gallery. The rest of the room was crowded with observers. Seated in the center of the main floor on a lone chair was Remus Lupin, Dumbledore standing beside him. Harry was relieved to note that the shackles on the chair were not fastened. Remus had not been chained down.

The court was called into session, silence settling over the room as a man Harry did not know read out the charges of the Inquiry. A murmur of shock went through the room when Remus was accused of being feral, and was facing the possibility of euthanasia. Harry recognized a handful of younger people in the room who had gone to Hogwarts with him and graduated - Remus had been their teacher for a year. And no doubt many other people in the room had been students when Remus himself had been a student. Harry also noticed Lucius Malfoy seated on the opposite side of the room, high up in the observer's gallery. The cold man was watching the proceedings curiously. Harry glared at him - it was because of him that Remus was here in the first place.

When asked how he pleaded, Dumbledore spoke up. "Chief Interrogator, I move that we dismiss this Inquiry entirely."

More murmurs of surprise moved through the room. Minister Fudge, seated to the left of the man who'd been designated as Chief Interrogator leaned forward. "We can not have a motion until a plea is entered. And we can not dismiss any Inquiry until all the charges have been read."

There were a few nods of agreement, as well a few frowns of dissention at that statement.

"All the charges?" Dumbledore asked, and Harry felt a sharp spike of fear in his heart. There were new charges against Remus? "I was unaware of any further charges against Mr. Lupin other than the claims he was feral."

Madam Bones glanced briefly over at Fudge before nodded to Dumbledore. "The new charges were just added," she explained.

"Only because we did not know that Mr. Lupin had been out of the country," Fudge broke in quickly. They had all decided earlier that Remus would claim to have been out of the country, and had not known about the arrest warrant. His failure to turn himself in as well as all their complicity in harboring him would carry heavy penalties otherwise.

"I told you, Cornelius," Albus remarked. "Mr. Lupin did not know about the arrest warrant. He turned himself in to me - an officer of the court - immediately upon hearing of it. He has been in my custody since then, as was recorded when I requested this hearing. You can not charge him with . . ."

"That is not the charge," Cornelius interrupted in irritation. "Mr. Lupin is required by law to inform the Werewolf Registry within twenty-four hours of re-entering the country. Failure to do so is punishable by up to five years in Azkaban."

Five years in Azkaban! Harry felt the blood drain from his face and he shot a nervous glance at Severus. Severus merely watched the proceedings stoically, his features giving away nothing of his emotions.

"I see," Albus replied gravely. "Then I also move to have that charge dismissed as it is no longer relevant."

"No longer relevant?" Fudge exclaimed. "You can not make a second motion without first registering a plea."

The Chief Interrogator tapped his wand on the desk in front of him and the murmurs that were rising quieted down. "It is highly unusually to make a motion before the plea is entered, Albus," the man informed him.

Albus nodded his head in agreement. "But perfectly understandable when the charges themselves are not only utterly irrelevant, but also an illegal violation of a Wizard's civil rights."

More murmurs of shock moved through the crowd and Harry found himself chewing nervously on one of his thumbnail. He had no idea where Dumbledore was going with this. He glanced at Severus whose only response was to glare darkly at him until he stopped gnawing on his fingernail.

Again the Chief Interrogator tapped his wand for silence. "Care to explain your reasoning, Albus," the man sighed as if he were use to these odd events when Albus was involved.

Albus smiled. "Well, I think we can all see for ourselves that Mr. Lupin is far from feral."

Despite the fact that Remus had been sitting in the a chair in the center of the room in full view of everyone all this time, everyone in the room leaned forward or craned their necks to get a better look at him. He just sighed and crossed one leg over the other. Sitting there in his tweed suit, his amber eyes warm and gentle, he might have been waiting for a cup of tea to arrive rather than sitting trial for his life. Harry had to applaud the man's calm demeanor. He would not be so calm in a similar situation.

"Is this true, Mr. Lupin?" the Chief Interrogator asked. If anything people leaned closer to hear. Harry remembered Sirius telling him that feral werewolves did not talk.

"I admit to being disappointed that the Chudley Cannons lost another game last week, but I'd hardly call myself feral," Remus answered clearly. His words sparked a chuckle of laughter that moved throughout the room. Fudge, looking extremely irritated, glanced over at Lucius Malfoy. Malfoy's face revealed no emotion at all.

Harry couldn't help but wonder what Fudge hoped to gain from this proceeding. He had to know that if he detained Remus, then Harry would go straight to the press and scream bloody murder. Did he think to use Remus as some bargaining chip against him?

"Yes, well," Fudge replied - faced with Remus' temperament they could hardly push a formal Inquiry. "But that still does not excuse the other charge. Why did you fail to register your re-entry into the country with the Ministry of Magic?"

"Ah, but there we have a problem, Cornelius," Albus informed him with a shake of his head. "Mr. Lupin did not register with the Werewolf Registry within twenty-four hours of re-entering the country simply because that within twenty-four hours of re-entering the country, he was no longer a werewolf."

Shouts of surprise as well as protests filled the room, moving through the crowd as everyone speculated about what precisely Albus might have meant.

"Furthermore!" Albus exclaimed, his voice rising above the noise. "As Mr. Lupin is no longer a werewolf, full citizenship rights are restored to him and as such this Inquiry is now an illegal act. It is illegal to arrest or detain a Wizard based on rumors that they are in a bad mood." Harry guessed by the way Dumbledore emphasized the word 'Wizard', that the law allowed such behavior toward werewolves.

This time the Chief Interrogator sent up a shower of sparks with his wand, accompanied by a loud bang to silence the crowd. "Albus, you know as well as the rest of us, that there is no cure for Lycanthropy. Mr. Lupin is a known werewolf, and as such does not have full-citizen rights."

"Ah, but there you are wrong," Albus replied with a smile. "There 'was' no cure for Lycanthropy. There is now as my witness, Potion Master Severus Snape, will explain to you."

"You can not call a witness for a motion - especially a motion that has not been seconded!" Fudge exclaimed in protest.

"I second the motion then," a dark-haired man sitting to the right of Madam Bones spoke up. "I want to hear about this cure."

"You can not second the motion!" Fudge snapped again. "We can not have a motion until a plea has been entered."

But at that the Chief Interrogator shook his head. "We can not request a plea to an Inquiry that might be illegal. The court calls Severus Snape forward."

Harry watched in silence as Severus stood up gracefully, once again lifting the satchel he'd set by his feet and carrying it with him down to the main floor where he stood beside Dumbledore and Lupin. At the request of the Chief Interrogator Severus explained the workings of the Lycanthropy potion; while he talked he opened his satchel and removed two scrolls, which contained the details of his work. He handed one to the Chief Interrogator and gave the second one to Master Dorester who sat nearby in the observer's gallery. He also handed over a box to Master Dorester that he explained contained several vials of the potion for official Guild testing.

"And you conclude that Mr. Lupin is completely cured?" the Chief Interrogator demanded incredulously after Severus was done with his explanation.

Severus frowned at that. "I have further tests to run," he informed them. "However, based on the legal definition of a werewolf detailing the compulsory transformation on the night of the full moon, Mr. Lupin is no longer a werewolf. The moon had no effect on him two nights ago."

Whispers of shock circulated the room. "And you claim Mr. Lupin is now in fact an Animagus?" Madam Bone pressed curiously, her eyes once again on the mild looking man still sitting in the chair.

"Yes," Severus nodded his head in agreement.

"Prove it!" Fudge demanded angrily. And though his request was rude, it was obvious that the majority of the Wizengamot wanted this claim substantiated as well.

The Chief Interrogator inclined his head. "Mr. Lupin, the court asks that you prove your status as an Animagus by transforming."

Remus glanced up briefly at Albus who nodded encouragingly to him. Standing up, he closed his eyes in concentration. Harry held his breath - he knew Remus had practiced this with Sirius, but this was still new to the man. And he was being forced to transform without the aid of his wand - something some Animagi never mastered. Still if anyone could do it, Harry believed Remus could.

He'd seen Sirius transform frequently. When his godfather changed into Padfoot, the shift was almost instantaneous, the motion smooth and swift. So too was Professor McGonagall's transformation. Remus on the other hand was not so quick. The initial shift took a long tense moment, all eyes in the room on the man while they waited for something - anything - to happen.

And then Harry felt the faint rise of power that he'd come to sense as Remus' signature. He felt the shift of the energy as the man focused his magic inward. And then all at once the human form seemed to melt away from him, shifting and changing. A moment later Moony stood before the Wizengamot.

Unexpectedly people screamed in terror - men and women scrambling out of their seats and backing away. Wands were drawn and aimed at the werewolf and might have shot spells if Albus Dumbledore had not raised his hand and shouted for calm, his voice magically amplified and silencing the room. Everyone froze, staring in silent terror at the werewolf in front of them. Moony, a truly fearsome and terrifying creature, merely sat down on his back haunches and began wagging his tail.

Harry let out a sigh of relief when he realized that no one was going to curse him. A quick glance at Severus revealed a look of utter contempt on the man's face. It was obvious that he did not think highly of the panicked men and women before him.

When it became obvious that the fearsome werewolf was not going to attack anyone, people once more began taking their seats.

Remus very slowly shifted back into his human form, shooting Harry a quick wink before sitting again the wooden chair in the center of the room.

"As you can see, Mr. Lupin is now an Animagus," Albus explained. "Not a werewolf. As such he is entitled to his full rights as a citizen. And before you ask, Cornelius," Albus held up his hand as the Minister was about to interrupt. "Yes, I have already filled out the appropriate paperwork officially registering him as an Animagus and submitted it to the Ministry."

Fudge frowned in irritation but settled back down again.

"But. . .but. . ." a blue-haired woman sitting a few chairs behind Fudge protested. "He transforms into a dangerous creature! He's a threat to society!"

Albus stared over his half-moon glasses at the woman in question. "Madam Bremington, I believe your father was also an Animagus. He took the form of a Blue Arrow Frog - a creature highly poisonous. A single Arrow Frog has enough poison to kill one hundred people. Was he also a threat to society?"

The woman sputtered in shock for a moment before calming down, seeming to actually think over Albus' words.

"But this is highly irregular," Fudge protested. "We've never had an Animagus that could transform into a magical creature before."

"We've never had a cure for Lycanthropy before either," Albus reminded him. "This is a day to be celebrated."

Indeed Harry noticed that Master Dorester, as well as Andre, and a handful of other men and women he suspected were also from the Potions Guild were already looking over Severus' scroll, reading over Dorester's shoulder.

"Now, once again," Albus stated. "I move that this Inquiry be summarily dismissed, and all charges against Mr. Lupin dropped. What say the council?"

Faced with Dumbledore's request, the Chief Interrogator took the vote. Even Fudge and his handful of lackeys had no choice but to agree to the request. Remus Lupin was cleared of all charges.

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

1.7K 556 38
Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts after the defeat of Lord Voldemort to finish his seventh year of schooling. Along the way, he deals with the drama o...
94.5K 2.9K 16
Harry Potter and Severus Snape have never been particularly close, but that changes his sixth year after Professor Slughorn's Christmas party. Now, o...
6.9K 294 4
After the war, Harry wants answers. Snape's willing to give them. For a price. Harry Potter/Severus Snape.
77.6K 2.9K 28
Hermione is ill with an obscure Chinese curse. Severus is merely in love.