this is where i'll be waiting...

By sweetenersmoonlight

"i was raised by katherine pierce. do you really think i need anyone's help in manipulation, deceit, and dest... More

a c t o n e
p l a y l i s t
c h a r a c t e r s
update + rewrite
1.2 | do i have to deceive you?
1.3 | emotions are a dangerous thing
1.4 | that is not what your heart desires
1.5 | from the lips of a liar
1.6 | only i fell
1.7 | parts that will never be whole (revised)
1.8 | you curse everyone you touch (revised)
1.9 | a reflection of the author (revised)

1.1 | never give up

1.4K 45 18
By sweetenersmoonlight

question of the chapter: who is your favourite tvdu character?

f a l l 1 8 6 4

Astoria winced at the sound of the branch breaking beneath her feet, even though she knew that it was her that caused the snapping sound. At any other time, it wouldn't bother her, but alone in the night with trees much taller than her blocking any light coming from the moon, every whistle of the wind or rustle of the leaves was enough to send shivers down her spine. Astoria liked to think that she wasn't afraid of being alone at night. When she was in the safety of her home or knew one of her older brothers, she wasn't. Even though they weren't here now, she wouldn't admit that she was afraid. They always told her how strong she was and Astoria wasn't going to disappoint them. Not today.

She usually listened to what they said. Stefan and Damon always looked out for her. Astoria never knew her mother, Lily Salvatore had passed away a few months after she was born. Their father didn't fill the maternal hole in her life that was left behind, he hardly even fit the role of a father. Astoria never knew how to make him proud. He seemed bothered by the fact that she was a girl. She was seen as weak and frail. Stefan and Damon did their best to tell her that wasn't true and Astoria tried to be strong for them, even if it was only a front to hide how terrified or sad she was sometimes. Even that didn't seem to ease her father's distaste for her. If she tried to be strong, is she tried to be like her brothers, he would chastise her for not being "ladylike".

Astoria didn't quite know what that meant. She had no guidance on what a lady was supposed to be like. That was until a few months ago when a young woman by the name of Katherine Pierce joined their household. Astoria loved Katherine. She was fun, she told Astoria interesting stories, and always made time for her. Katherine helped her with her hair and her outfits, something she never had before. Stefan tried to learn how to do her hair, but he wasn't the best. Damon was good, but until recently, he had been off at war. Astoria didn't quite know what that meant, but she did know that whenever Damon left, she would worry that would be the last time he would see him, but he always came back home.

She had that sinking feeling in her chest again when he rushed out of the house late at night. Astoria shouldn't have seen him, she should've been asleep in her room, but when she heard the commotion, she had to come out. All she saw was Katherine being carried away with her father holding Damon back. When Damon saw her, he told her that everything would be okay and that she needed to go back to her room and go to sleep. He would check on her later. Astoria listened to him at first, but after a little while had passed and the house was silent, Astoria knew that something was wrong. Katherine was being hunted.

Stefan and Damon didn't know that Astoria knew. Katherine made her promise not to say a word or else Katherine would be taken away. She had come in one night to comfort the youngest Salvatore after having experienced a nightmare. Astoria could hardly remember it, she was terrified by fictional monsters in her dreams. She never told anyone, not wanting her brothers or father to think that she was weak, but Katherine found out.

Just because something is different from what you are does not mean that it is a monster. Someone becomes a monster by their own choices, not by what they are, and I would never choose to hurt you.

That is what Katherine had told her before she showed Astoria what she was. Astoria still remembered the red eyes and the dark lines on Katherine's once clear porcelain skin. But just as quick as Katherine had changed her face, everything had gone back to normal and Astoria found herself unable to say anything. She was shocked. All Katherine did was remind her that she would never hurt her and she would keep her safe from whatever monsters came her way. That it would just be their secret. No one else could know or else those who didn't understand what she was, like Astoria's father, would try to harm her. Then she leaned forward and kissed Astoria's forehead, telling her to go back to sleep before she left the room. Astoria foolishly trusted Katherine, though they never spoke of it again.

Astoria believed her because she didn't want to lose Katherine to anyone. Katherine had been like a mother to her. She filled a role that Astoria didn't know that she needed and she didn't want to risk losing that. But as she crept through the trees, she knew that she might've lost more than that.

Astoria didn't know what she was looking for, but something wasn't right. Her brothers should've been back. Katherine should've been back. She knew what it meant that they weren't. Katherine's secret had gotten out. Astoria was filled with worry by the time she made it to the main road, worry of which a small part quickly turned into relief when the moonlight filled the gravel road and she was able to see better. She looked to the right and didn't see anything, she didn't know which way to go, but when she looked to the left, she realized that she wasn't alone. There were two people laying up on the road, though she couldn't make out what they were, but why were they just laying there in the middle of the road? They couldn't be comfortable and they could get hurt.

Curiously, Astoria moved closer to them, holding up the ends of night gown so that she wouldn't trip. As she got closer to one of them, Astoria was flooded with relief as she realized that it was her older brother. Astoria began to move quickly towards him, calling out his name in attempt to wake him up.

"Damon," Astoria said his name while she kneeled at his side, placing her hand on his chest and shaking him slowly, but when she did, she noticed that she could feel something wet. She rose her hand to look at what it was, but she couldn't quite make it out. All she could tell was that it was dark. It reminded her of the few times she had gotten cut while playing outside. Damon always told her to be careful, she could get hurt badly and he didn't want anything like that to happen to her. That must've meant that Damon was hurt.

"Damon, you need to wake up," Astoria repeated again, growing more and more worried for him.

Astoria didn't exactly know what death was. Not at this age. The only thing she knew was that her mom had died. Damon said that she got sick and her body became too weak. He said that she went into a sleep that she couldn't wake up from and had to go away. Astoria didn't know if that had happened to Damon too.

Realizing there was a second person, Astoria quickly turned her head around, seeing Stefan just as she expected. Astoria pulled away from Damon and went to her other brother. She noticed that he had the same wound as Damon and he too wasn't waking up.

"S-Stefan," Astoria whispered."Y-you need to. . . You both need to wake up now-"

"Astoria."

Astoria quickly shot around to see Katherine standing above Damon's body. Relief quickly ran through her. Katherine would know what to do. She would know what was wrong. There was a carriage at the end of the road behind her. Astoria didn't see it before, but she was glad to know that Katherine was okay. She thought that she would've been hurt.

But while Astoria was relieved to see her, Katherine didn't return the feeling. Astoria being here was dangerous for her. The young girl would slow her down, and she saw that Katherine was alive. Katherine couldn't compel Astoria, she was on vervain. And Katherine didn't want to hurt her.

"Kat, they're not waking up," Astoria explained shakily."And t-they're bleeding."

"Astoria, you must return to your home," Katherine insisted, moving over to her, but Astoria pulled back and shook her head.

"Not without my brothers," Astoria looked back down at them."They need help. I think they're hurt, help them please-"

"You are going to have to go back without them, Astoria," Katherine told her, kneeling down in front of the six year old girl and placing away on her wet cheeks. Astoria had been trying her hardest not to cry, but she wasn't able to keep it in."They can't come with you."

"W-why not?" Astoria sniffled.

Katherine bit down on her bottom lip. This wasn't ever something she had to do before. Astoria didn't even know what death was. How could she explain it? She recalled a conversation that she had with Damon about having to explain what happened to their mother once Astoria began asking questions.

"You know what your brothers told you about your mother?" Katherine asked, continuing once Astoria nodded her head."Well, it's like that. Your brothers have gone away. And they can't. . . They can't come home."

Astoria couldn't explain what she felt like in that moment. The only word she could use was sad. She didn't know how she would carry on the rest of her life without her brothers. They were her best friends. They looked out for her. They made sure that she always had what she needed. All that she had left was her father and Astoria didn't like him.

"T-then I'm not going home either," Astoria decided, causing Katherine to raise an eyebrow."If they can't come home, then it's not my home either. I'll go be with them."

"Oh, no, sweetie," Katherine shook her head slowly."You can't go be with them. They've gone away to a place you can't visit."

"But I don't want to visit, I want to stay with them too," Astoria persisted."If they're dead, then I will be dead too. And I can go be with them and meet my mom-"

"Astoria, that is not how that works," Katherine suddenly snapped, causing Astoria to flinch and shrink back a little bit. Katherine's face softened as she grabbed one of her hands. She knew that she was running out of time, so she decided that she would have to take matters into her own hands."Astoria. Go home now."

"No," Astoria furrowed her brow, causing Katherine to sigh. She wasn't surprised that Astoria had vervain somehow. She wasn't wearing any jewelry which must've meant that someone had given it to her. Most likely her father. If he had given it to Stefan, he probably gave it to Astoria to keep her safe too.

"Miss. Pierce," A man called from behind them, over by the carriage."We must be going."

"You can't make me go there," Astoria insisted, pulling herself out of Katherine's grasp and turning around, attempting to run away, but Katherine was much quicker and had snaked her arms around Astoria's waist, easily lifting her off the ground, but she had to admit, the little girl put up quite the fight."No. You can't take me back. I don't want to go-"

"Astoria, calm down," Katherine ordered, wishing that she could just compel her but she had made sure that Astoria was drinking vervain."I am not taking you there. You will be coming with me."

Astoria seemed to calm down at this. She wasn't struggling as much and didn't try to run when Katherine set her back down, but her fear was quickly replaced by confusion."What? Where?"

"I have to leave, it isn't safe for me here," Katherine explained to her quickly."The council found out that I am a vampire. I must leave. And you will come with me."

"Where?" Astoria repeated, not quite understanding that Katherine was running away or that she had to go to. Astoria had barely left the town before, leaving wasn't something she ever thought to be possible.

"Anywhere," Katherine said with a small smile."Just like in the stories I told you. You will get to see the world. I promise you."

Before, Astoria would've jumped at the chance. She would've been filled with excitement, but that wasn't what she wanted now. She didn't want to see the world if the world wasn't where her brothers were. She just wanted them. But Astoria was a smart young girl. She knew that she couldn't see them again. If she didn't go with Katherine, then she would have to go with her father. So she just nodded her head.

"Now say goodbye to your brothers," Katherine nodded towards them. She knew that they needed to leave, but she could take a moment to allow the little girl a chance to say goodbye.

Astoria slowly leaned down next to her brother, kissing Damon's cheek and smiling at him softly, trying to be strong for him in case he could still see her."Goodbye, Damon. I love you."

Astoria waited a second. A small part of her still hoped that he would talk to her, but when he didn't, she sadly pulled away and turned to Stefan, repeating what she did and said to Damon. When she was done, she stood up. Katherine reached out her hand for her to take and pulled her closer.

"Can you hold onto me?" Katherine asked the young girl, watching as Astoria nodded her head and wrapped her arms around Katherine's waist, burying her face in her stomach.

Within a flash, they were suddenly inside the carriage that had been parked at the end of the road. Astoria didn't have the energy to think about how cool that was, that Katherine could move that fast. Because with all that Katherine could do, she couldn't bring her brothers back. Katherine's arms were cold, they didn't have the same warmth and comfort that her brothers' did, but she appreciated Katherine trying to help her. And she didn't push Astoria away when she had clung fo her, not moving from her lap.

"You will be okay," Katherine promised her."I'll look after you. I won't leave you alone. I promise."

"Nothing's okay," Astoria mumbled sadly."I want Damon."

Katherine rubbed Astoria's back soothingly, knowing that she was nothing that she could do to take away Astoria's pain. She didn't even know what was truly going on. She could barely process it. And Katherine didn't know if she could look after Astoria. She had never looked after a child on her own before and Katherine certainly wasn't maternal, but she had spent the last few months with Astoria and she couldn't leave her there all alone. Damon and Stefan could either choose to die or turn into vampires and they wouldn't be able to look after her. Katherine couldn't leave her alone with two young vampires. Their father certainly wasn't a good option either. Katherine had no choice but to take her. Astoria was a polite girl who listened to instructions well and was eager to please, Katherine didn't think it would be an issue.

Astoria wasn't feeling as optimistic as Katherine was. She loved Katherine, but Katherine wasn't Stefan or Damon. Astoria didn't know a world without them. They were always there for her, but now they never would be. Damon wouldn't be there to encourage her or comfort her when she was down, Stefan could no longer read to her, she wouldn't be able to crawl into their bed when she had a nightmare. Damon wouldn't sneak her a treat or two after dinner and Stefan wouldn't stop to get her a small gift whenever he was returning home from the market. Astoria didn't know what her life would look like now. All she knew was that it would never be the same.

"What do we do now?" Astoria asked tiredly.

Katherine wasn't quite sure how to answer. She didn't know how to explain to the little girl that they had to run. That she was being chased by an original vampire who would kill both of them the second he found them. Astoria didn't need to know that. Not yet. Maybe when she was older. If she was still around.

"Now, we survive," Katherine told her honestly, but that did little to soothe Astoria's curiosity.

"What does that mean?" Astoria yawned. Katherine hoped that she would fall asleep soon so that she could think more about what their next moves would be. Astoria would be a lot easier to handle if she was asleep. But Katherine knew that when Astoria would wake in the morning, she would have been able to better process what happened to her brothers. Katherine needed to have everything figured out by then.

"It means that life can be difficult," Katherine explained to her."Life as a vampire is complicated. There are people who want to rid of us and because of that, they may go after you to hurt me. I will do my best to make sure that doesn't happen, but they may try. They may try to hurt you or turn you against me, but I would never hurt you. I need you to know that. And I need you to stay strong. No matter what."

"H-how do I do that?" Astoria asked as she closed her eyes and leaned her head against Katherine.

"Never give in," Katherine ran her fingers through the young girl's hair. It was a bit messy and tangled since she was just sleeping, but Astoria didn't seem to mind as Katherine brushed it out with her fingers."Never give up. And never give people a reason to underestimate you."

W i n t e r 1877

Astoria would never forget the day she lost her brothers. It was the day her whole world was turned upside down. She lost her protectors, she lost her home, and she ran away with Katherine. From that moment on, everything changed. She did see many parts of the world like Katherine had said, but Katherine was always in a hurry, always careful to not be spotted. Astoria later learned that was because they were on the run from someone. Katherine had angered a powerful vampire that vowed to hunt her down and kill her. The idea of him scared Astoria, but she knew that she would always have Katherine to protect her.

Katherine made good on her promise. She did look after and raise Astoria to be the beautiful strong woman that she was today. Katherine could've chosen to leave her. If she had, Astoria didn't know what she would've done. She had no where to go.

There were moments when Katherine and her would have to part ways, only for a little while, and in that time, Astoria would feel free, like she didn't have to be looking over her shoulder the whole time. On those days, Astoria would enjoy being out in public, surrounded by hundreds of other people, each living much more mundane lives than she was. Astoria envied them because when they went home, they had families, a life. When Astoria went back to whatever house they were staying in, she was all alone. Her loneliness was persistent and it spread like a wildfire once it had taken hold of her, clawing away at her sanity, and pulling her into a black hole where she was entirely alone. She remembered the days when she would play outside with Stefan and Damon, feeling the warmth from the sun. She never felt that warmth the same way after they died.

But she would never tell Katherine that. They were alike. They had no one. Astoria didn't want to disappoint Katherine, not after she took her in. Katherine wanted Astoria to turn into a vampire, but she was hesitant. Astoria didn't want to die. Not when she hadn't even lived.

Next time in This is Where I'll be Waiting for You
Astoria comes across a handsome and charming man in town.

So here is the first chapter! I'm excited to be able to finally share it with everyone. I've been working on this since roughly 2019 and it's changed many times so I'm glad to finally be able to share it.

By the way, Astoria is about seven years old in the first part and is now nineteen turning twenty soon.

Thank you for reading. I hope you all enjoyed. Be sure to comment your thoughts and have a good day/night!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.4K 432 5
in which the youngest mikaelson vampire gets undaggered and catches the attention of the salvatore brothers.
17.5K 764 9
𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐥𝐲𝐧 𝐒𝐭𝐞𝐟𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐚 𝐒𝐚𝐥𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐃𝐚𝐦𝐨𝐧 𝐒𝐚𝐥𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐢𝐞𝐜𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐒𝐭𝐞...
7K 275 15
Elena had a baby with Ethan Mikaelson the guy who abused her for months before leaving her with a check and a baby
237K 9.4K 13
Estella Salvatore wasn't all too twisted in 1864. [ESTELLA'S BACKSTORY - PREQUEL TO TWISTED] [COVER BY: @voluntears] holly james © 2016