Drowning In The Dark (Broken...

By Seventhjoul

The story of young girl being born by the rape of her mother and struck with her 4 brothers as her mom died g... More

End of their misery
Breaking The News
Breakfast and School
Home- thats what they called it
End of Costella
A refuge.
The real talk
Your dad?
Spaghetti and TV
Voices in my head
Am I sick?
A Reality Check
Sabrina & Sebastian!?
Most Precious of them All
Stubbornness lands you in trouble.
Confrontation and Confessions
A Vanidestine
Tête-à-Tête
A Mistake
Dex and Ira
You- who love me the most.
A Truth woven in lies
'Some words should be left unspoken.'
Snooping Around
Back to the Square
Feelings
Princess's Don't cry
One Peculiar Family
An Angel
When the love knocks on dark castle gates
Office and a cup of coffee
My Fight for your love
Simply Love
My Darkest days
One grand fall
A new Era
That pure love
The meaning
If you are waiting for me.
Our Prize
The Youngest Pair
The final war
Be Alright
My Rules for my game.
If You all are here.
BROKEN HEIRS #2
ANNOUNCEMENT

Cufflinks or Tie?

28.8K 771 73
By Seventhjoul

 Shaira was doing her part-time job. Although Vanidestines were paying her tuition and school. Shaira wanted something to be called hers, so she started a part-time job as a barista. It was damn hard to find a job here. After impressing the owner of a small cafe with her brewing skills, she grabbed the job. The pay was decent as well. Her routine was to work and save until Christmas would come and buy her a gift that she could put under her own private Christmas tree.

Her eyes wandered through the cafe when it got stuck on the calendar. Today was Nov 22. which means it marked the whole month When Shaira asked for signatures. Now about 8 months left for being 18." I need to do something fast." She thought.

Shaira's eyes furrowed when her mind constantly went to the date again. No, there is something else. She swiftly pulled out her phone and checked her memo if she had forgotten any assignment but there was nothing like that. That's when her search field interest shows-

"Happy Birthday Mr. Dexton Vanedestine- Here's how the famous business tycoon will celebrate his 30th birthday."

The news flashed right in front of Shaira's eyes. She sighed, at least it wasn't any pending assignment or work from school. His birthday does not matter to her and why would it be anyways? She huffed and went back to her with her conscience constantly knocking on her imaginative brain door.

"Shouldn't you at least wish him? after all he helped you during your anxiety attack."

"No."

"He ended Costella's whole family just for us. Why do you think he did that?"

"I don't know. Maybe he was in the mood to help me." Shaira said cleaning her table counter. She could not believe it. She was fighting with herself.

"Oh, come on, he is the reason why we are going still going to school and no one even dares to bring that video up right? I don't know what happened to us but one thing we decided when we were growing up was, we will be kind and always grateful to the people who helped us no matter who they are. When did we become so ungrateful?"

Shaira's hand stopped wiping the counter deep in thought. She sighed and leaned on the counter still thinking. She did not know what was wrong and what was right anymore. Her shift was over, and it was 6:30 pm. When she was going to the bus station. Her eyes caught a pair of cufflinks which was showcased in the nearby shop. An intricate design of gold with a black jewel in between.

" It would suit somebody perfectly." Her conscience murmured.

"I don't think that somebody would like such a cheap gift. He would probably have hundreds of these. I am not wasting my money on it." Shaira rolled her eyes. Shaira's eyes still wandered around the shop showcase.

"Screw it."

......

It was already 8:00 pm when Shaira got home but she was relieved. She knew she would not meet anyone inside as the whole Vanidestine family would have gone to a nice restaurant to have dinner which Shaira never understood because the food they eat every day would fail any Michaelian restaurant. Shaira sneezed as soon as she opened the main door. Her bomber jacket was covered in snow. Her shoulders were crying because of the heavy bag that she carried around.

"I need to come home early from tomorrow onwards." Shaira muttered as soon as she came to the kitchen to get some water. She was perched.

"Well, that's true"

Shaira choked on the water when she saw Ezra standing there in his sleek black formals with shiny shoes. "Can you stop these sneak attacks on me?" Shaira asked as her cough subside.

"Why are you so late?" Ezra asked leaning on the door. "Just some work." Shaira said as she put the water bottle down. Ezra raised one of his eyebrows when he heard the term 'work'.

" By the way, shouldn't you be on the way to the restaurant?" Shaira asked successfully changing the topic.

"No, we decided to celebrate here at the last moment." Ezra said as he saw Shaira searching for something to eat.

"Okay." Shaira said as she took out some leftovers of lunch to reheat so she could eat it simultaneously chewing on a piece of bread. Ezra turned off the microwave and took half-eaten bread from Shaira's hand.

"You are dining with us."

"No" Shaira answered. She was so tired because of a such hectic day. She does not want to face any hardships like communicating with Vanidestine. "I was not asking Shay." Ezra said taking Shaira's bag off her shoulders.

"I did not want to crash your family party so please leave me alone." Shiara said annoyed. She had come to the realization that she wasn't afraid of Ezra anymore until he used that harsh tone that he used before and that thought terrifies her. This alone meant that she has started to let her guard down.

"You are not crashing a party when I am inviting you." Ezra said as he grabs Shaira's hand and pulled her toward the dining table.

"Am I not a gold-digging bitch now Ezra, when I am dining the most lavish meal I could possibly never afford in my entire life?" Shaira said her voice rigid, but her eyes were moist. The words came out of her mouth before she could suffocate them and store them in the unreachable part of her heart which seemed to be no-so-unreachable these days.

Ezra stopped as soon as Shaira spoke those words.

"Look, you would have a lot of complaints about my behavior but-"

"Complaints?" Shaira scoffed. "Are you even listening to yourself, Ezra, they are not complaints, those were harsh statements you said to me barely a month ago." Shaira said her voice heavy with emotions.

Ezra had no words to refute it. After a moment of silence. Shaira gobbled down the lump of emotions that were just waiting to come out.

"That's why I don't want to come to dinner. I don't know when you will flip out and if you do, you will have a lot of things to hurt me again." Shaira said putting her food back in the microwave.

Before Ezra could move outside the kitchen, he said," The person sitting outside had never said anything to you and trust me, he had never encouraged any of us to do what we did. Even if he does not say anything, but we know he wants you there. He would be happy if you would come there."

Shaira was left in deep silence. She sighed and moved towards the dining hall. The entire hall was lit up by golden lights with the most beautiful flowers she had ever seen. The whole family including Mr. Aestus was sitting right there.  Everyone's heads snapped toward Shaira as she got close to Dexton's chair.

"Happy Birthday Dexton." Shaira said in low voice looking downward at the shiny floor. Her hands were joined together behind her trying to subdue the nervousness. When Shaira did not hear anything, she thought she should not have done it. She closed her eyes waiting for the mean remarks or any laughing but there was nothing. That's when Dexton patted her head which made her look upwards with wide eyes. His lips curved upwards.

"Thank you, Ira."

Shaira nodded slightly embarrassed and went to sit beside Maximus. "Let's cut the cake first." Maximus said hiding a mischievous smile behind. Dexton raised an eyebrow looking at him. 

"You could never grow old enough to not blow the candles." Maximus said as one of the maids put on a massive cake on the table. Dexton shook his head. 

"Don't you dare to sing a birthday song for me." Dexton said as he pointed towards Maximus, but the silent threat was for everyone. Noone chuckled except Aestus. Shaira was just looking here and there trying to fit-in, but the world knows she could never.

Dexton blew the candles and cut the cake silently as he wished with a lot of claps. He was happy like that. Then the lavish dinner started. The appetizer to the main course. Everything was luxurious. There were even vegetarian options for her as a replacement for meat which she was so thankful for. The most awaited part of the course meal was dessert. During the conversation between them, Shaira was enthralled to know that the cake was a coffee cake specially baked according to Dexton's Taste. 

Shaira's eyes shined as soon as her piece of cake came in front of her, but this jittery ride soon went downhill when she saw Ezra looking at her with questioning eyes. Shaira sighed and put her cutlery down. Unknowing her, Maximus was also looking at them. He made eye contact with Alkov who was sitting right beside Ezra then to Ezra's cutlery. Alkov knew what he needs to do. He rolled his eyes but nonetheless subtly knocked Ezra's cutlery down.

When Ezra got down to pick up his cutlery. Maximus abruptly put a spoonful of cake in Shaira's mouth making her eyes widen and catching everybody's attention on the table. Shiara was shocked by Maximus's action and also by the burst of taste she got. That was delicious. She abruptly put both of her hands on her mouth as Ezra was already looking at her and Maximus.

"There is a reason why she should not eat-"

His sentence was put to a halt when he felt cold piercing eyes daring him to complete the sentence. Ezra sighed.

"You could eat it but just for today." 

Shaira's eyes shone with happiness. She dug her spoon into the cake and relish the taste again. She was so thankful to God that Dexton shared the same taste as her. After dessert was over, the time had come for the gifts. Everyone took out their gifts. Shaira was curious, which would be undeniably an understatement. She was dying to know what gifts could satisfy a person who had everything, right in his palms.

"My first!" Maximus literally burst out as a fountain of energy-if that make sense. Dexton took his gift and opened it. Inside was a pair of cool sports shoes and by the look of it, they were customized. 

"I know you have your private gym but please join my gym. My brand value will increase multiple folds." Maximus said with humor making everyone laugh. "I would have done it if you have not bribed me for it." Dexton said.

"Now it's my turn." Ezra smiled as he opened a Gin infusion kit. "This is for your late-night adventures. The botanical herbs and your favorite gin would be good for you." Ezra said which was answered by polite thanks from Dexton. The bottle itself showed how expensive it would be.

"Always so healthy" Maximus rolled his eyes getting a stink eye from Ezra.

"Well, I think next is me." Alkov said as he put his gift in front of Dexton. The box was royal blue. Inside was a Rolex watch. 

"I thought it would suit you."

Dexton nodded giving him a soft smile. This was her first time witnessing the private time of Vanidestines. They looked like a normal family. Mr. Aestus was smiling, Even Dexton had his lips curved up every time his brothers gave him presents. 

"Maybe what they did to her was right. If she had not been born, this family would not have had to face so much grief and pain. If she had not been born, Mr. Aestus would not have had to go on long business trips just to hide his pain. If she had not been born, this family would be one complete family -what everyone sought. Just if she had-"

Her thoughts were interrupted which made her look at Mr. Aestus giving Dexton the most expensive gift so far. He gifted his son a high-rise penthouse in New York City which was probably worth millions. Shaira could see every gift of the night was so good and -expensive. Mr. Aestus hugged Dexton. Pride shone in his eyes and who would not? A son who had brought so much glory to their family.

 The grand party was over, and everyone looked so happy and Shaira- she was happy enough just to witness it. 

 ............

"Can I come in?" Shaira said as she knocked on the home office door fiddling with the small black box with the gold ribbon on it.

"Yes"

.....

I could not be happier to say that we somehow reached 10k reads on this book. I love you guys so much for giving my book a chance. I would say it again, you all give me the motivation to strive harder and write better. The chapter was a little long, so I appreciated that you read this so far. If this chapter made you sad or happy or proud. Do like share and vote. 

Bye.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 33.4K 63
Lucy is a 16-year-old girl. She is kind and hard-working. Her mother died when she was 10 years old and left her in the care of her stepfather. He is...
134K 2.4K 34
ᴇ ɴ ᴅ ᴜ ʀ ᴇ ; ᴄᴀʀʀʏ ᴏɴ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪᴛ ʜᴜʀᴛꜱ. ʙʀɪᴇʟʟᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴀʟʟᴇꜱ. ꜰᴀᴍɪʟʏ, ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴏɴᴇ ʏᴇᴀʀɴꜱ ꜰᴏʀ, ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴀʟʟᴇꜱ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴀ ᴄᴏᴍ...
1M 33.5K 73
Here's a bombshell for you: I have eight brothers. Eight extremely attractive, smart, mischievous, crazy overprotective brothers. Well, step brothers...
262K 5.5K 43
After the tragic death of her mother, Skylar is forced to move in with her 5 older brother, who she has never met before. With the new wealth, loss o...