Woolly Jumpers || Nativity

By blink_and_youre_dead

Paul Maddens wasn't a fan of Christmas in the slightest. Robin Harper loved the festive season more than anyt... More

Woolly Jumpers
Cast
One
Two
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve

Three

424 7 1
By blink_and_youre_dead

It didn't take a genius to know that Mr Poppy wasn't the smartest of people. He sometimes picked up on the wrong ends of conversations and made a buffoon out of himself and others. None of it was ever done with any malice, but his stupidity often lead to the worst situations.

It was after one of these moments that he waltzed into St Bernadette's. He had been shopping for Christmas trees along with Mr Maddens for the school. It was supposed to be a fairly innocent trip. However, he had overheard a conversation between Paul and Gordon Shakespeare.

And it was something absolutely amazing that he couldn't wait to share.

Swiftly, he rounded up the children doing the Nativity into the classroom, and grabbed Jamie too. He just couldn't help himself.

"Come on, come, come, come, come. Come close. This is... Shh." Me Poppy crouched so he was at level with the children. They surrounded him at all sides. "Come in, come in. Gather round. I've got something to tell you, alright? I'm not supposed to tell you, but someone's twisted my arm and I have to tell you."

He knew it shouldn't have happened. He sort of knew he shouldn't have said anything at all. But god knew that he wanted to.

"I've just been to get the Christmas tree and I heard Mr Maddens say, a big Hollywood production film thing company are coming here to see our nativity, but it's not a nativity, it's Nativity the Musical, in 3D and 5D sound, and we're all going to be famous."

The children cheered and jumped like wild animals. Though they might not have understood all of the words being said, they understood enough to be excited. It was all they needed.

"Anyone told my mum its gonna be a full on musical." Jamie grasped his face, pulling on the skin in almost horror. "She's gonna blow her top."

Mr Poppy then shushed them. "This is big stuff, alright? Zack, I mean, you could end up being... Zac Efron."

The young, brown haired boy grinned. "Yes!"

"And you... you could be Shrek!" He said to another child. "And you, Bob...."

"What?"

Bob was the smallest child in the class, and was extremely tiny for his age. He just hadn't grown in a very long time, though it didn't stop him doing exactly what he wanted.

"You're like a little Gollum, like a little creature in something!" Bob stuck his thumbs up in approval. "So we're gonna be super famous because Hollywood are coming!"

❄️ 🎄 ❄️

The next morning was a cold one, and Robin knew that it would only get worse. She was wrapping herself up for the day, the tv on in the kitchen as she was doing so. The BBC had given way to the local news for a short time.

She had only kept half an eye on what was happening, really, but did a double take rather quickly.

"Well, with me now are the real stars of the film, the pupils of St Bernadette school here. You must be very excited?"

The news were at their school. The news never went to their school. They always went to Oakmoor. There was nothing special about St Bernadette's- so what the hell had happened?

Mrs Bevan was excited, her voice shaking. "Oh, very excited, aren't we children?"

Some of the children surrounding her cheered. They were just happy to be on the news.

"We only heard this morning that Hollywood are going to be coming to see our Nativity play, and we can hardly believe it."

"I'm actually Mr Poppy," the man stepped in, snatching the microphone from the presenter. "And I am, uh, the Co-director, Co-writer and co-producer."

Robin's face seemed to harden as she turned on her heels. She saw her two boys sat at the table, the eldest had a sheepish look on his face. He was trying to hide it behind a cereal bowl.

"Jamie?"

"There is an explaination to this." He blinked slowly, avoiding eye contact.

"Is there, now?"

"But you're not going to like it."

❄️ 🎄 ❄️

"I'm going to kill you."

It wasn't something Robin often said, but this time, Paul deserved it. She knew it wasn't true, and she was trying to keep it on the hush from Matt. He wouldn't understand it all.

Robin and Jamie had been on their way to the assembly, brought about by the Hollywood connection.

"I am going to kill you." She repeated, completely and utterly seriously.

Paul looked at her completely innocently and wide eyed. "What?"

Before she could reply, Mrs Bevan passed them by. "There you are! Oh, goodness, at last. This is Darren, from the local paper. Mr Maddens."

"Nice to meet you." He shook the man's hand, still completely unaware of what had occurred.

"Come on. We've got to go this way. Yeah, they've been waiting. I've told Darren everything I know but, I don't know very much. It's wonderful that you're back in touch with her again. There you are, that's it."

Paul was pushed into the assembly hall. The children cheered at him, yelling and screaming for him. But there was a nagging in the back of his mind as Robin was staring him out. And beside her, Jamie was eyeing him guiltily.

"Thank you, thank you." Mrs Bevan stepped to the front of the hall. "Good morning, boys and girls. Good morning, teachers. Good morning. Good morning gentlemen of the press. And the local news team."

He still didn't understand.

"And, as you can see children, it's very very exciting. The whole of the town is buzzing with the news that St Bernadette is going to get a visitor from Hollywood."

That was when he knew he had stepped in it. A horrified expression crossed his face. This was never supposed to happen.

"Three cheers for Mr Maddens."

The hip-hip-hoorays were just too much for him to handle. "Mrs Bevan, boys and girls... I'm sorry, cause there's obviously been some misunderstanding, because yesterday I said in front of Mr Poppy that we were gone have a visit from Hollywood."

He gazed at all of their faces, and realised that he couldn't break their hearts just yet.

"And I'm only sorry cause it's not happening right now!"

❄️ 🎄 ❄️

When Mr Poppy and Mr Maddens left the school hall, Ms Harper thought it was best for her to leave too. She made her excuses, leaving Jamie in her place, just in case she was needed. But it seemed that it was best if she was there. However, before she could join them, Mr Poppy arrived back again.

That meant Paul was on his own, with his thoughts.

Robin found him in his classroom, leant against one of the tables. She sat beside him, her legs dangling slightly off of the floor.

"You're so stupid, you know." Robin put a hand on his shoulder, and sighed.

"Yeah, I know."

"Yeah." He pinched his brow. "I know."

"Do you know what you're going to do."

"No, Robin, I don't know what I'm going to do, alright?"

She hit his shoulder, lightly. "No need to get snippy with me."

"Sorry..." he breathed. "Really, Rob, I'm sorry. It's just... I don't know what I'm going to do."

"Come here." The woman wrapped her arms around him, comfortingly. She placed a kiss on his cheek and smiled. "We'll figure it out."

"We?" Paul seemed confused.

Robin just grinned his way. "What sort of friend would I be if you had to do it alone?"

Mr Poppy came back looking rather sad. He explained why, which took rather a long time. But eventually he got to the point.

"I couldn't do it." Mr Poppy explained. "But, just thinking, all you've got to do is call your girlfriend and get the Hollywood people across."

"One problem." Paul huffed, clearly annoyed. "She's not my girlfriend. I don't know her number. I don't know where she is. I don't know where she lives. I was making all of that up yesterday."

Yesterday was what Robin was dreading hearing about. Of course, she would be expecting the full story later on, probably over a hot meal and shitty television.

"Family? Has she got any family?"

"Ah," Paul tried not to think about his past." Desmond was bringing all of it back. "She's got parents. Yeah."

"Do you have any pets?"

"I have a dog. Used to be hers."

"Brilliant! Just go round there, and say, look the dogs died. I need her number. I should break her this news in person."

Mr Maddens was mortified. "The dogs died?"

"Yes."

"How's the dog died?"

"It... blew up?" He hesitated, and by then, it was too late to correct. "The dog blew up! They won't ask! They won't ask. You wouldn't ask. I wouldn't ask. Eugh. They'd just think Eugh and get the number."

When Mr Poppy left, the air felt much clearer. But there was still some underlying tension coming from Robin. She wouldn't do anything, of course, but it felt like she needed to.

"You've got something to say too, haven't you?" Paul asked, fed up of the whole situation already.
Robin shook her head. "No."

"No?" Of course he knew better. "I can see it in your face, Rob."

It took a moment for the woman to collect her thoughts. Then, she breathed, rather heavily. "I just... I just don't like the idea of you getting hurt again."

"What?"

"You were going to propose, Paul. It's not easy. Trust me, I know."

"I'm not getting hurt. She's not my girlfriend, and I don't love her anymore." He seemed determined on the fact.

"Okay then."

"Okay."

Everything was a mess, and Robin didn't know what they could do to fix it. But they would have to try. If not for them, then for the children. They didn't deserve this.

• - - •
1721
• - - •

Disclaimer!!!
I do not own Nativity. I do not own the cast or the characters. The only things I own are my changes to the storyline and my original characters: Robin and Jamie Harper. I do not own the character of Matt either, just the change that he is related to my original characters. Please do not copy my work. Any similarities to real life are purely coincidence.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 445 21
Y/N Johnson loves Christmas! She loves the Christmas lights, the movies, the decorating, the cozy blankets, the hot cocoa, the festivals, snow, hoodi...
25.4K 721 8
hi if you're hear from tiktok, hi if you're not lol. Just fair warning some of the content in this book is not for kids. You're y/n. You work under t...
1.1K 76 11
Chrom is the proud co-owner of the Shepherds' Medical Firm. He enjoys the crazy-calm routine of Manhattan life and could not be any more excited for...
48K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...